Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Remember Me. Nice model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I like those TNG-style starbases.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is already feels

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah Wesley has a real Starfleet uniform now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wider shot:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

God TNG HD is gorgeous.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Those are reuses of the Earth Spacedock footage from Star Trek 3

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh boy, is Dalen Quaice (which is a Star Wars name btw) a ghost?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This false memory stuff is loving with me

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did someone Damnatio Memoriae him

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The earth starbase is probably my favourite object in star trek. It's just so loving big and different yet it's clearly a product of the federation. I wish the series explored more "federation infrastructure" like that. I'd have so liked to have seen more cities, industrial replicators, shipyards, orbital habitats and so on. The cool massive-scale space stuff we only get hints of here and there, mostly due to budget.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Welp this is horror now

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They might have erased someone from the space-time continuum with their engine. Reminds me of our worries about the Large Hadron Collider.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Welp this is horror now

Wouldn't be a Female Lead Episode without a horror element.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

OooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOAH

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like how completely Picard trusts Beverly

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Shucky

Ducky

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh look, it's the good Beverly episode.

Like, really good, honestly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Really good line for Majel Barrett of all people coming up.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is that the guy who helped them go to

Yep

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Speaking of Star Wars, the Traveler is trying to get Wesley to close his eyes and use the Force.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
God this is such a good episode. It's so small and intimate and I really wish Trek had more stories like this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

The earth starbase is probably my favourite object in star trek. It's just so loving big and different yet it's clearly a product of the federation. I wish the series explored more "federation infrastructure" like that. I'd have so liked to have seen more cities, industrial replicators, shipyards, orbital habitats and so on. The cool massive-scale space stuff we only get hints of here and there, mostly due to budget.

I wish they'd had a few nice matte paintings of vast orbital station interiors.

It kinda bugs me that spacedock and drydock are the wrong way around in trek though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's sort of interesting that there's two Crusher episodes (which is probably like 50% of the episodes focusing on her) that have her playing the role of detective. She's good at it too, and if they played up her job as the person who tells everyone else that poo poo isn't right then that would have improved her role in the cast imo.

fake edit: That's her job in Cause and Effect too, even though that episode isn't about her

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Man it took her a long time to figure out to go to Engineering. I was saying it to her for like three minutes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Those are reuses of the Earth Spacedock footage from Star Trek 3

Everything I said about ships not being the reason I watch Star Trek? I take it all back for Starbases.

They're so loving cool. DS9 is even cool despite being a Bajoran one. The one from Beyond was mega cool.

More Starbases, please :fap:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat that was a good episode. It wasn't what I was expecting at all from the title. I also like how they fully foreshadowed what was happening with Wesley being confused about where his mom went, but I didn't put together what that meant until it told me.

Also it was incredible when it slowly moved the camera through the portal and ended on this shot:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Everything I said about ships not being the reason I watch Star Trek? I take it all back for Starbases.

They're so loving cool. DS9 is even cool despite being a Bajoran one. The one from Beyond was mega cool.

More Starbases, please :fap:

I want more civilian starbases like Beyond where you just have a bunch of post-scarcity people going 'let's do something cool'.

If anyone ever read Alistair Reynolds, I basically want the Glitter Band around Earth. But without the moral depravity.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

I want more civilian starbases like Beyond where you just have a bunch of post-scarcity people going 'let's do something cool'.

If anyone ever read Alistair Reynolds, I basically want the Glitter Band around Earth. But without the moral depravity.

I want GSVs, Orbitals, weird alien habitats, all that poo poo. Full Culture now !

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Way of the Warrior was contemporary with Season 2 of B5. B5's CG was a lot more versatile and let them set up way more interesting scenes, but at the time still couldn't approach the physicality and real feeling of Way of the Warrior's models.

People should keep in mind that when B5 aired, everyone was watching on SDTVs that were typically 27" or smaller. At that scale and resolution, the CGI was very passable. Granted, watching it now, using the DVDs with cropped CGI effects, on large HD displays, the CGI looks like hairy rear end.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

drat that was a good episode. It wasn't what I was expecting at all from the title. I also like how they fully foreshadowed what was happening with Wesley being confused about where his mom went, but I didn't put together what that meant until it told me.

Also it was incredible when it slowly moved the camera through the portal and ended on this shot:

It's kind of sad that when they do something visually interesting on TNG that it's worth this much attention. I do love Beverly being so utterly determined during this episode though, coming to the conclusion that "If there's nothing wrong with me then there's something wrong with the universe" is a pretty huge leap but also fits her perfectly. That stubborn streak shows up nicely later on with the whole metaphasic shield poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People also seem to only remember first season B5 CGI. It got a lot better as the show went on and the big battles in the later seasons look great.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

Really good line for Majel Barrett of all people coming up.

You know how if you Google search something that has a definite answer ("atomic weight of scandium" or something), it'll just give you that answer at the top of the page, above all the relevant links? And how if you use the voice recognition on your phone, it'll just speak that answer back to you, just like the computer on Star Trek?

For several years, Google would respond to a query of "What is the nature of the universe?" by answering "The universe is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter." Because that's the next line. And so that was the answer, according to all of Google's pattern matching stuff. It was wonderful.

I was so sad when they finally fixed it and started giving a real answer based on cosmology and stuff. :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nonsense, everyone knows the universe is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

J33uk posted:

coming to the conclusion that "If there's nothing wrong with me then there's something wrong with the universe"

Okay, be honest, everyone. Show of hands. How many of you have ever said this line to yourselves, even semi-seriously?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mllaneza posted:

I want GSVs, Orbitals, weird alien habitats, all that poo poo. Full Culture now !
We got Yorktown... and wasn't Yorktown explicitly some border poo poo that was supposed to be huggy for the locals?

Trek did get a Dyson Sphere right. And then STO did it again!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WampaLord posted:

DS9 is even cool despite being a Bajoran one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

Okay, be honest, everyone. Show of hands. How many of you have ever said this line to yourselves, even semi-seriously?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cheetah7071 posted:

It's sort of interesting that there's two Crusher episodes (which is probably like 50% of the episodes focusing on her) that have her playing the role of detective. She's good at it too, and if they played up her job as the person who tells everyone else that poo poo isn't right then that would have improved her role in the cast imo.

fake edit: That's her job in Cause and Effect too, even though that episode isn't about her

Crusher was a lot better at it than Troi but Troi got more eps for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Number_6 posted:

People should keep in mind that when B5 aired, everyone was watching on SDTVs that were typically 27" or smaller. At that scale and resolution, the CGI was very passable. Granted, watching it now, using the DVDs with cropped CGI effects, on large HD displays, the CGI looks like hairy rear end.

I remember coming across B5 occasionally on TV (when it was new) and laughing at how bad the CGI looked. I'm sure I'd be more charitable if I gave it a chance now, but it was definitely a turn-off for me and no doubt thousands of other Trekkies.