Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AkumaHokoru posted:

u.s. MS-T280

I brought my Tab S 8.4 back to life by installing LineageOS on it. Sucks that you would have to do that to a tablet from 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

calandryll posted:

Moto X Pure. I remember fixing it somehow last year but can't remember exactly how I did it. Annoying since I like the faster speeds on some of my longer podcasts.

I just installed Podcast Addict and variable speed works perfectly on it. So something to due with Pocket Casts.

Edit: Looks like clear data/cache, uninstall, reboot, reinstall works fine. :wtf:

calandryll fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 13, 2017

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Hoping to confirm I'm not crazy. I switched to Gboard from Swype because it had somehow become frustrating to use. Gboard has been okay except for this:

When I use Google's search app, the correction stripe above Gboard doesn't appear at all. There even appears to be space for it.

The correction stripe appears everywhere else, including right now typing into Awful.

Can anyone try Gboard in the Google search app to verify? Up to date Gboard and Google via Play Store on ATT Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0.1

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

Hoping to confirm I'm not crazy. I switched to Gboard from Swype because it had somehow become frustrating to use. Gboard has been okay except for this:

When I use Google's search app, the correction stripe above Gboard doesn't appear at all. There even appears to be space for it.

The correction stripe appears everywhere else, including right now typing into Awful.

Can anyone try Gboard in the Google search app to verify? Up to date Gboard and Google via Play Store on ATT Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0.1

The same happens to me and it's one of the bigger reasons I can never manage switching to gboard

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like this?

E: there are other places it doesn't appear when it should imo, I wanna say the chrome bar doesn't do it either maybe

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah it doesn't work in Google now on my Pixel. Stupid, when I make a mistake I have to manually correct it like some sort of Neanderthal

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Well I guess it's understandable. I mean, expecting something to work within their own closed ecosystem is a pipe dream.

Thanks for verifying.

Any keyboard suggestions that have solid swipe and ideally a good correction/suggestion bars? Is Swiftkey worth reinstalling?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Swype and swiftkey are worth trying

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Every once in awhile i try to go back to gboard and always end up back on SwiftKey after a couple weeks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like being able to delete a word swiping from the backspace button and selecting text with the spacebar in gboard but it's swiping is getting worse and worse and I'm ready to use something else now. Trying swype but I don't like it, gonna try swiftkey next

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Moey posted:

I brought my Tab S 8.4 back to life by installing LineageOS on it. Sucks that you would have to do that to a tablet from 2016.

Samsung gives no fucks hopefully I can use that on my tablet...oh look. I cant. Tablet. you have a date with a express train.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

That's why I went back to Swype though they seem to gently caress up their app every other release so it's due to be bad after the next update.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

I like being able to delete a word swiping from the backspace button and selecting text with the spacebar in gboard but it's swiping is getting worse and worse and I'm ready to use something else now. Trying swype but I don't like it, gonna try swiftkey next

Swiftkey is good for tapping but absolutely terrible for swiping. I want to swipe with it but it's basically unusable.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
drat, I was fleeing Swype because it was becoming very in accurate/unforgiving where it wasn't before. I had tried Swift but it's swipe at the time was not great enough to use for any extended period of time.

I guess I'll try the Samsung keyboard which I've never really given the benefit of the doubt?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

What don't you like about Swype?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ape Agitator posted:

very in accurate

Checks out.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

What don't you like about Swype?

It swipes better than gboard but the spacing of the keys is slightly different and when it doesn't get a word right and I hit backspace it just deletes the last letter rather than the word. Basically :spergin:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

It swipes better than gboard but the spacing of the keys is slightly different and when it doesn't get a word right and I hit backspace it just deletes the last letter rather than the word. Basically :spergin:

You can change the height in the Settings but maybe that isn't what you're looking for?

Longpressing will delete the entire last word which I prefer because with Gboard I often wanted to edit a bit of word I swiped and nope, gotta start from nothing that's the Google way.

There are a bunch of other tricks that Swype does that I find useful:

Swype key to 123 will bring up the editing keyboard
Longpress 123 will bring up the numeric keyboard
After making a word, Swype key to Shift will bring up all three capitalization options (Sample, sample, SAMPLE) or it can be after the fact by tapping any word in the sentence you just wrote.

Overall I like Swype but every once in a while they'll change something or break something and I have to stop using it for a few months until they fix it.

eta: I really hate that they removed swipe above the suggestion bar to capitalize but I'm guessing if you didn't use it from the beginning you'd never miss its removal.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 14, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I did not like swiftkey and that guy was right about it being bad at swiping. I'm back to the Swype trial so I will keep those things in mind, I did adjust the height but that didn't fix what I am talking about; it's a slightly different spacing between the letters themselves vs gboard

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

LastInLine posted:

eta: I really hate that they removed swipe above the suggestion bar to capitalize but I'm guessing if you didn't use it from the beginning you'd never miss its removal.

Well, poo poo, that explains why it quit working. I'd been wondering about that. I've been a Swype user since the beta. I personally have no idea how anyone bears to tap out entire sentences, it's bad enough when I'm having to enter a new word because it isn't in my dictionary.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's an image viewer that can handle images with dimensions of 2-3k pixels on a side? Neither Photos nor SE Image Viewer (the one built in to Solid Explorer) don't zoom in to 100% and even at their highest zoom, the images are fairly blurry, where they aren't on my computer.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

hooah posted:

What's an image viewer that can handle images with dimensions of 2-3k pixels on a side? Neither Photos nor SE Image Viewer (the one built in to Solid Explorer) don't zoom in to 100% and even at their highest zoom, the images are fairly blurry, where they aren't on my computer.

Kind of heavyweight, but how about Photoshop Express?

edit: it doesn't really zoom in all that well, which is weird given it's supposed to be a high quality photo editor.

spoof fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Can't speak to dimensions but I still use quickpic

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for reminding me about QuickPic. It worked great!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Tasker is on sale for $0.99 :siren:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I fired up the Play Store app last night and the first advertising card I saw at the top of the page was for a free $1 Play Store credit gift. It expires some time in September. Not sure where all it's available, but take a look at your apps. I haven't received a Rewards survey in months, so it was a pleasant little surprise.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I fired up the Play Store app last night and the first advertising card I saw at the top of the page was for a free $1 Play Store credit gift. It expires some time in September. Not sure where all it's available, but take a look at your apps. I haven't received a Rewards survey in months, so it was a pleasant little surprise.

This is the second time they've done this. Only certain accounts qualify (Google's not telling what the qualifiers are). Anyone can see if they do via this link.

Interestingly, when this showed up on Android Police on the 8th, I didn't qualify. Now, I do. So, if you tried before and didn't qualify, try again!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Yeah Android Police noted that some users had been seeing that. No rhyme or reason as to who gets it, however.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

There used to be a thread, but it's archived now isn't it?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days?

I use it to read notifications from certain apps out loud while I'm bike-commuting with my bone-conducting headphones on.

I also use it to automatically send a text to my wife when I leave work while biking.

I used to have it set up to automatically put my phone on silent when I got near the Alamo Drafthouse's wifi networks, but these days I keep my phone on silent all the time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

There used to be a thread, but it's archived now isn't it?

I hadn't used it for years but now use it to switch on and off adguard as I connect to my piholed home network

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: All For Web Is Live :siren:

https://allo.google.com/web

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

loving finally

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress you Google.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Web client only works if you have Allo active on an Android phone right now - iOS users will have to wait (LOL)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mogomra posted:

I still use it to lower the Bluetooth volume on my headphones and maximize it for my car, but for whatever reason the second part never works. Maybe I'll try Llama instead...

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Literally nobody I know uses Allo, so there's very little point in making the switch for me right now. Maybe I can convince the 3 people I speak to on Hangouts to make the jump, but that seems pointless.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
What's the best way to read a bunch of newspaper subscriptions in one place? Is there an app that does that?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Can't play news do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I use it to read notifications from certain apps out loud while I'm bike-commuting with my bone-conducting headphones on.

Is this something built into Tasker or is it Tasker launching a third party application that reads messages for you?

Can it do something like "call from [Insert name]" for phone calls?