Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Texmo posted:

how the hell are you supposed to get any shape of transfer onto space marine pauldrons without it winding up looking like wrinkled poo poo?
I thought i'd nailed it this time with slicing into them from a few angles and expecting minimal cleanup, but after they've dried there are distinct lumps and creases.

Microsol and Microset. Works wonders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Serotonin posted:

These are fantastic for curved surfaces as transfers don't bend well.

If you're into :science:, you can try your hand at mixing acetone and rubbing alcohol as a cheap "microsol". Usually 4:1 ratio is good though you may need to experiment with 3:1 for certain transfers/paint types. DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT TESTING FIRST. Acetone EATS paint and plastic so you should always practice first before you try this out yourself.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Serotonin posted:

well i'm not looking forward to peeling most of the buggers off and redoing them, but hopefully this stuff helps. Thanks!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Texmo posted:

well i'm not looking forward to peeling most of the buggers off and redoing them, but hopefully this stuff helps. Thanks!

You might get away with just giving it a few doses of Microsol rather than taking them off. My Primaris need two or three coats on the FW decals. But they worked a treat.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Serotonin posted:

You might get away with just giving it a few doses of Microsol rather than taking them off. My Primaris need two or three coats on the FW decals. But they worked a treat.

oh awesome, i'll try this first.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Texmo posted:

Coat it with some Microset, let it soak the whole transfer, and it will slide right off. I also find that Microset is more effective against curved surfaces. Also having a glossy undercoat supposedly helps quite a bit.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Serotonin posted:

I’m about to invest in these, what’s the totally pro method of use for each?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Shadin posted:

I’m about to invest in these, what’s the totally pro method of use for each?

Gloss where you're applying the decal. Slap some microset on that area and keep the brush moist with it while you position the decal. Carefully dry it with a paper towel. Wait a few minutes, slap some microsol over. Let it dry, repeat until there are no wrinkles. Varnish over.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Booley posted:

Gloss where you're applying the decal. Slap some microset on that area and keep the brush moist with it while you position the decal. Carefully dry it with a paper towel. Wait a few minutes, slap some microsol over. Let it dry, repeat until there are no wrinkles. Varnish over.
Can confirm, this technique works great. I don't always gloss where I'm applying the decal, but it usually helps. As for Marine shoulder pads, always cut the transfer as close to the design as possible, and that includes cutting out stuff like the gap between the U in Ultramarines logos.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just rewrite your chapter's fluff to state that lumpy insignia is a mark of honor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

I find that pressing down with a damp paper towel and letting it air dry works well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was confused for ages because you put the microSET on first. Not last, to help out set.

Vallejo has a guide that really helps you through, but you need to know to look for it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I was confused for ages because you put the microSET on first. Not last, to help out set.

Vallejo has a guide that really helps you through, but you need to know to look for it.

I sharpied a 1 and a 2 on the lids of mine so I know which to use first.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a Canoness Veridyan and dig it --

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Booley posted:

Awesome, thanks for that. Guess I can finally use that ‘ardcoat to lay down a gloss layer.

Hustlin Floh posted:

Just rewrite your chapter's fluff to state that lumpy insignia is a mark of honor.

Unkempt Marines

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rando posted:

I bought a Canoness Veridyan and dig it --

So, her rules were written while 8th was in the prototype phase? Factions are mentioned, but then so are USR's, Initiative, and numerical WS/BS which are gone.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, her rules were written while 8th was in the prototype phase? Factions are mentioned, but then so are USR's, Initiative, and numerical WS/BS which are gone.

Nope that's pure 7th ed. Factions were a thing back then too!

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you know, I just figured it was one of the new stat cards they're going to start packing everything with and didn't notice it was the old rules set. I'm a dummy. Disregard.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Looking for some goon advice.

When I came back to 8th I was torn between three factions: GSC, Primaris and Deathguard/Nurgle (the fact that I loved the starter set factions tipped me over the edge). In the end I went for GSC and Spess Merrens. My marines are great - I don't win much, but that's cool, painting up my chapter, having a great time. Loving theory crafting the possible routes to expansion, it's all good.

However, GSC is a different story. I adore the fluff for them, but I really aren't having fun with them on the table. I have almost 100 models painted up and ready to play, but when they do hit the table I'm pretty miserable with it. I feel like there are a couple of routes to them being half-way decent, and everything else is a big trap choice. It's not helped that there are very limited choices, and I'm not interested in either Tyranids or Guard - I just want crazy mining dudes shooting stuff from the back of giant drill trucks. It doesn't feel like there's a way to play that and have fun at the moment.

I was reading though the fluff for chaos and found Cult Tenebrous, a GSC that got absorbed by Nurgle's influence and now fights for under his banner. I started thinking about how I could use GSC as renegades and heretics, and do some conversion work on them to nurglify them, and then convert my marines over to be a primaris chapter just fallen to chaos and absorbed by the Deathguard. Now I'm looking at conversion supplies, and trying to work out if this is an insane plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to make GSC fun without breaking the aesthetic, or if renegades and heretics are worth playing with? Does this nurgle concept just sound dumb as gently caress? Am I just jumping the shark and I should sell my GSC and concentrate on my marines?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nifara posted:

Looking for some goon advice.

When I came back to 8th I was torn between three factions: GSC, Primaris and Deathguard/Nurgle (the fact that I loved the starter set factions tipped me over the edge). In the end I went for GSC and Spess Merrens. My marines are great - I don't win much, but that's cool, painting up my chapter, having a great time. Loving theory crafting the possible routes to expansion, it's all good.

However, GSC is a different story. I adore the fluff for them, but I really aren't having fun with them on the table. I have almost 100 models painted up and ready to play, but when they do hit the table I'm pretty miserable with it. I feel like there are a couple of routes to them being half-way decent, and everything else is a big trap choice. It's not helped that there are very limited choices, and I'm not interested in either Tyranids or Guard - I just want crazy mining dudes shooting stuff from the back of giant drill trucks. It doesn't feel like there's a way to play that and have fun at the moment.

I was reading though the fluff for chaos and found Cult Tenebrous, a GSC that got absorbed by Nurgle's influence and now fights for under his banner. I started thinking about how I could use GSC as renegades and heretics, and do some conversion work on them to nurglify them, and then convert my marines over to be a primaris chapter just fallen to chaos and absorbed by the Deathguard. Now I'm looking at conversion supplies, and trying to work out if this is an insane plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to make GSC fun without breaking the aesthetic, or if renegades and heretics are worth playing with? Does this nurgle concept just sound dumb as gently caress? Am I just jumping the shark and I should sell my GSC and concentrate on my marines?

I definitely wouldn't sell them until their codex comes out. You never know, they might get a boost.

Your concept of a Nurgle GSC force sounds awesome to me. You can field them as either - or. Just say they're sewer based for when you want to run them as GSC. Unfortunately I haven't played against or as GSC, so I have no advice tactics-wise.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyone try plasma inceptors yet? Are they as lovely and overpriced as they look?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Black Libary's running a vote for which two out-of-print novels they'll bring back for their anniversary early next year.

https://www.warhammer-community.com...omepage-post-4/

If you don't vote Space Marine you're a bad Ham.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Black Libary's running a vote for which two out-of-print novels they'll bring back for their anniversary early next year.

I voted Brothers of the Snake. Sorry! (I'm not. That book owns.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/15/returning-classic-novels-your-vote-counts-aug-15gw-homepage-post-4/

Oh I'm definitely voting for Biff Thundrish excellent adventure.
And then I got a 302 error after pressing the vote so lord knows if my vote will be logged or not. :v:

Also
https://www.facebook.com/wotblitz/photos/a.631077083588585.1073741829.572143336148627/1732010016828614/?type=3
Apparently 40k vehicles will be added to World of Tanks blitz. Did not expect that.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh I'm definitely voting for Biff Thundrish excellent adventure.
And then I got a 302 error after pressing the vote so lord knows if my vote will be logged or not. :v:

Also
https://www.facebook.com/wotblitz/photos/a.631077083588585.1073741829.572143336148627/1732010016828614/?type=3
Apparently 40k vehicles will be added to World of Tanks blitz. Did not expect that.

Maybe if they add some 40k stuff to normal WoT I'd actually play again. Blitz was pretty crappy when I tried it though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

If you don't vote Space Marine you can turn in your 40k Fuckboi Fuckbadge and your Badcast Badbois Badbadge, you're off the force.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

chutche2 posted:

Anyone try plasma inceptors yet? Are they as lovely and overpriced as they look?

Yes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've done my duty and voted Space Marine. And Drachenfels too because we need more super oldskool GW stuff being reprinted.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zark the Damned posted:

I've done my duty and voted Space Marine. And Drachenfels too because we need more super oldskool GW stuff being reprinted.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Given that they're not showing the results, they'll reprint whatever they want :v:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I thought the author of the Gwenevere stuff had tangled up his novels in a bunch of legal stuff, glad to know I was wrong. They're fun books, author's craziness excepted.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
There's no valid reason for these books to ever go out of print with digital editions. They're going to do POD and charge $25 for these books.

SteelMentor posted:

Gwenevere stuff
Geneviève, you philistine! Get your jailbait vampire names correct.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 15, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I do not know who mentioned it in the lead up to 8th edition, but someone here mentioned using the Age of Sigmar Blight Kings models as Chaos Spawn for Death Guard cause the models were cool. Man, I just fell in love with that idea and decided to do just that. The models are awesome! https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Rotbringers-Putrid-Blightkings

It was a super fun project to get me back into 40k. I've been playing my Guard but painting these guys has been too much fun. Also, I got a ton of extra bits to use on future Chaos stuff. I wanted to share since I'm fairly smitten with them.

Group Shot

Bell Belly Bro is one of my favorites.

Some seriously gross legs.

Also there is a Flyhead in the kit and how can you not use that bit.

Hope you enjoy. After painting Guardfolk for so long, its nice to have such a weird and varied army to paint.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually bought a POD of Space Marine a few years back. What the heck?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I'm torn. I want to field Abaddon alongside my Emperor's Children, but I also want to stay fluffy. Has there ever been an instance when this has happened post-Heresey, or am I just a filthy min-maxing ham for wanting to do such a thing?

:thunk:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SRM posted:

If you don't vote Space Marine you can turn in your 40k Fuckboi Fuckbadge and your Badcast Badbois Badbadge, you're off the force.

Cool, I always wanted to be the renegade cop turned PI because his boss was too tight-assed to realize that my way was the ONLY WAY TO GET REAL JUSTICE! :commissar:

Voted Brothers of the Snake not because I want it, I've got a copy, but because the rest of you should read it too. :colbert:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I'm torn. I want to field Abaddon alongside my Emperor's Children, but I also want to stay fluffy. Has there ever been an instance when this has happened post-Heresey, or am I just a filthy min-maxing ham for wanting to do such a thing?

:thunk:

It'd be the latter, but that's okay, we're all filthy min-maxing hams to one degree or another here. :shrug:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

jng2058 posted:

It'd be the latter, but that's okay, we're all filthy min-maxing hams to one degree or another here. :shrug:

I figured as much. I can technically do whatever, but I think I'll stick with Lucieus for the time being. Ol' Zeke is just so much fun to blast through poo poo with.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

not my work

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

not my work

:drat:

This is perfect.

For something resembling content: I heard this thread likes clean Tyranids. Soon I will have photos of 20 gaunts and 20 gants with which I am murdering space marines with, clean and shiny. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

not my work
:laffo: