Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

I know you're super outraged (and, by extension, blind stupid) right now but that quote you posted was condemning the government/police for not having the proper infrastructure in place to protect everybody and for trying to take short cuts to cut short an event they didn't want to take place in the first place.

Wasn't that the case made by the city that the ACLU argued against in court though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol wanting to look the other way as some nazis are denied a permit to do some dumb rally is a real travesty. Like seriously step back away from all these abstract notions of rights and look at what's actually happening in the real world and decide there are better things to worry about than the free speech of nazis.

The problem is that when these things get violent it's because left aligned mayors tell the police to stand off and let the antifa have their fun. If you don't believe this maybe you should remember the mayor of Berkley is a member of BAMN. Nazi demonstrations starting getting violent in the last couple of years because the police stopped kettling the fash and the blackblock ran roughshod. Now the Nazis are showing up kitted to rumble and instead of 10 on 1 fash stomps we are getting street battles and people dying.

Reap the whirlwind

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Crane Fist posted:

Wasn't that the case made by the city that the ACLU argued against in court though

No.

quote:

If the judge in our case had been presented with any credible evidence or testimony by the city of an imminent threat of harm (other than a list of internet entries) or evidence that the change in permit would, in fact, result in no demonstration in downtown Charlottesville, I have confidence that he would have denied the injunction, and the city would have been faced with enforcing the change of venue and protecting demonstrators and counter-demonstrators in two locations.

“Instead, the city’s pleadings said that its decision to revoke the permit was based primarily on the unmanageable numbers of people who would show up. An affidavit from the police chief said that they expected twice as many counter-protesters (2,000) as protesters (1,000). Yet, the city did not revoke the permits for the counter-protesters, too. In light of those facts, the judge couldn’t get beyond the fact that the city hadn’t revoked all permits for demonstrations downtown on Saturday.

The city revoked the permit for the the white supremacist portion of the event, under the guise that the predicted number of protesters was unmanageable, while leaving the permit for the counterprotesters in place, despite being double the predicted number of white supremacists. That's why the court struck it down.

quote:

I was there and brought concerns directly to the secretary of public safety and the head of the Virginia State Police about the way that the barricades in the park limiting access by the arriving demonstrators and the lack of any physical separation of the protesters and counter-protesters on the street were contributing to the potential of violence. They did not respond. In fact, law enforcement was standing passively by, seeming to be waiting for violence to take place, so that they would have grounds to declare an emergency, declare an ‘unlawful assembly’ and clear the area.

In this part of the quote, the ACLU is claiming that the police were intentionally lax in the hopes that they could declare an unlawful assembly and clear the area.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

The problem is that when these things get violent it's because left aligned mayors tell the police to stand off and let the antifa have their fun. If you don't believe this maybe you should remember the mayor of Berkley is a member of BAMN. Nazi demonstrations starting getting violent in the last couple of years because the police stopped kettling the fash and the blackblock ran roughshod. Now the Nazis are showing up kitted to rumble and instead of 10 on 1 fash stomps we are getting street battles and people dying.

Reap the whirlwind

Lol are you serious? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jizz Festival posted:

I'm genuinely dying of laughter, this derail has been very enlightening

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byolante posted:

Reap the whirlwind

These radical anarchist-syndicalist mayors are ruining America!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

You're white knighting a Nazi who drove his car into a crowd of innocent people and killed a young woman.

You absolute piece of poo poo.

Tokamak posted:

Is this the last thread currently open with posters writing neo-nazi apologism?
For the record I think he's obviously a huge piece of poo poo for attending the rally, but take note of the man hitting his vehicle, what was actually written, and all of the people who charged the car with bats and helmets straight away. I'm saying it's less like a wanna-be truck of peace and more like what seems to happen half the time protesters stop vehicles from getting through, where either the collective or just a few idiots give drivers cause to panic.

poo poo happened recently in Germany where protesters blocked a road and then when the driver tried to turn around to go elsewhere a few idiots stood in front of the car, and it happened back in Ferguson where someone wanting to get through had their car mobbed by a bunch of retards including someone trying to smash windows with a flag pole with the antifa flag on it.

Don't mistake an interest facts or civil liberties for being pro-nazi.

Crane Fist posted:

hmmm yeah when you think about it the anti-fascists are the real fascists

Yes.

Crane Fist posted:

"Well imagine my shock when the police did not have our best interests at heart..."

The ACLU is defending the right of violent nazis to gather in public, then when the whole thing turned out horribly and people died they're going "HOW UNEXPECTED that these nazis did violence and the police did nothing, oh well free speech"

Jizz Festival posted:

Without violent counter protesters it would have been a bunch of pasty inbred schlubs shouting blood and soil into the wind. Alt-righters and white supremacists wouldn't be turning up to events looking like they're geared up for a medieval larping session if it weren't for antifa attacking people with little to no intervention from the police going back many months, and the lack of intervention or crowd control when both sides turn up expecting a fight is irresponsible as gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

lohli posted:

A better case for domestic terrorism could be made for antifa than the nazi retards at the rally.

The point is that he might not have actually been an attempted spree killer, he might have just freaked out when someone hit his car with a bat and thought he was about to get jumped by the many people there also with bats. Not that he was there with good intentions or that I condone being a white supremacist, but he may have been there to scope poo poo out to see what they were up against after the shenanigans from the night before and reacted out of fear.

And with that in mind, I wonder whether or not this guy feels responsible for poo poo at all:

Why did you post a cut up version of the video in your other post?

https://twitter.com/ZKhanOfficial/status/896443820606447617

The driver speeds up long before he's near the group of peaople, and the screeching/engine sounds is what spooked the bat guy and the other counter protesters (you can hear people screaming and running out of the way before he hit anybody). he slowed down a bit before accelerating again. Why do you think every single person in that pic is dead focused on the car? at 2-4 secs you can see people running out of the way and that's when he had slowed down

at no point was he driving slow enough for the kind of pedestrian traffic in that alley. it's extremely clear what he drove in there to do

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Mayors telling police to stand down and let violence happen unabated is a shocking abstention of their duty of care to the community they notionally lead.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

lohli posted:

For the record I think he's obviously a huge piece of poo poo for attending the rally, but take note of the man hitting his vehicle, what was actually written, and all of the people who charged the car with bats and helmets straight away. I'm saying it's less like a wanna-be truck of peace and more like what seems to happen half the time protesters stop vehicles from getting through, where either the collective or just a few idiots give drivers cause to panic.

poo poo happened recently in Germany where protesters blocked a road and then when the driver tried to turn around to go elsewhere a few idiots stood in front of the car, and it happened back in Ferguson where someone wanting to get through had their car mobbed by a bunch of retards including someone trying to smash windows with a flag pole with the antifa flag on it.

The dude is an attempted spree killer, there is no question that he instigated the incident and did it with the intent to murder.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

Why did you post a cut up version of the video in your other post?

That's the version of stuff that I saw posted by someone who had been trying to CSI miami the whole thing.

Scent of Worf posted:

The driver speeds up long before he's near the group of peaople, and the screeching/engine sounds is what spooked the bat guy and the other counter protesters (you can hear people screaming and running out of the way before he hit anybody). he slowed down a bit before accelerating again. Why do you think every single person in that pic is dead focused on the car? at 2-4 secs you can see people running out of the way and that's when he had slowed down

at no point was he driving slow enough for the kind of pedestrian traffic in that alley. it's extremely clear what he drove in there to do

The screech sound seems to be him coming off the speedbump/crossing(red + tan thing at the start of the video) which is what has people screaming, and I don't think being spooked at that was a good reason to swing at the back of the car as it was going past, you're right that he slows down and then accelerates, but the thing between that is the guy swinging at the car.

I've already said that I don't think he was there with good intentions, but stuff like his accelerating into the crowd only after someone does something extremely dumb like hitting the car stops it from being clear.

Either way I'm interested to see whether he's going to claim he's committing terrorism for the fatherland or if he's going to try to claim he was indeed spooked.

Maybe he'll pull an Yvette Felarca and unrepentantly claim it shouldn't be illegal.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

lohli posted:

That's the version of stuff that I saw posted by someone who had been trying to CSI miami the whole thing.

You didn't think to look at the source yourself rather than a cut down version that /pol/ is passing around?

quote:

The screech sound seems to be him coming off the speedbump/crossing(red + tan thing at the start of the video) which is what has people screaming, and I don't think being spooked at that was a good reason to swing at the back of the car as it was going past, you're right that he slows down and then accelerates, but the thing between that is the guy swinging at the car.

I've already said that I don't think he was there with good intentions, but stuff like his accelerating into the crowd only after someone does something extremely dumb like hitting the car stops it from being clear.

Either way I'm interested to see whether he's going to claim he's committing terrorism for the fatherland or if he's going to try to claim he was indeed spooked.

Maybe he'll pull an Yvette Felarca and unrepentantly claim it shouldn't be illegal.

It seems like you're talking to yourself rather than addressing the full video

1. The car, even when it slowed down, was driving way too fast which is why people were running out of its way before it had even sped up again. This is why the guy swung a bat at the car, not because of the screech and engine sounds (which is what made some people scream). It was because the car was going too fast. I already pointed out where this happens in the video. At seconds 2 through 4. You can clearly see people running away.

2. The driver didn't just turn a corner and suddenly come upon a wall of people. The alley was chock-full of people. He had clear view of just how congested it was and chose to speed down the alley anyways. Nobody was blocking his path, he sped down onto oncoming pedestrian traffic. He had more than enough time to slow down to a safe speed or just stop altogether, but he doesn't.

Why are you ignoring these obvious facts about the video to defend a white supremacist terrorist attack?

The Ol Spicy Keychain has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Aug 15, 2017

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:thunk:

Why is there a D&D thread in c-spam?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freckle posted:

:thunk:

Why is there a D&D thread in c-spam?

creeping liberalism strikes again

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

creeping liberalism strikes again

It's so Insidious.

Media Matters has gone too far!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Is this the last thread currently open with posters writing neo-nazi apologism?

I'm sure there's some in gbs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What could have motivated someone to drive 40mph down a one-way alley with pedestrian traffic? I guess we'll never know the truth.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What could have motivated someone to drive 40mph down a one-way alley with pedestrian traffic? I guess we'll never know the truth.

its the fight-or-flight-or-premeditated-vehicular-murder response

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if the libs hadn't been mean to him about gamergate this never would have happened

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Berkley literally became a warzone because the mayor is a black blocker who told the police to not intervene in open street conflict. He literally is responsible for the damage through his actions.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Byolante posted:

Berkley literally became a warzone because the mayor is a black blocker who told the police to not intervene in open street conflict. He literally is responsible for the damage through his actions.

Good.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The ACLU support is actually a great litmus test. everyone I know who has a problem with the ACLU defending all comers is some sort of late-to-the-party milquetoast liberal who celebrated record levels of Obama deportions and his insane expansion of the surveillance state which he gifted to Trump with a bow. they're unreliable allies at best and you shouldn't trust them when the chips are down, because they'll never join an occupy protest or a protest for paid family leave but they will dogpile on 200 idiots who have never had a bit of influence in their entire lives

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
don't trust leftists that don't support the ACLU. ever.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

call to action posted:

The ACLU support is actually a great litmus test. everyone I know who has a problem with the ACLU defending all comers is some sort of late-to-the-party milquetoast liberal who celebrated record levels of Obama deportions and his insane expansion of the surveillance state which he gifted to Trump with a bow. they're unreliable allies at best and you shouldn't trust them when the chips are down, because they'll never join an occupy protest or a protest for paid family leave but they will dogpile on 200 idiots who have never had a bit of influence in their entire lives

call to action posted:

don't trust leftists that don't support the ACLU. ever.

All the late-to-the-party human rights lawyers who think the ACLU is poo poo should never be trusted.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Byolante posted:

Literally. I remember when the alt-right used to mock the SJWs for hysterics. Boy have the tides turned lately.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byolante posted:

You made it sound like the mayors were in the pocket of big Antifa, which was pretty funny (and the accusations of the mayor of Berkeley being a secret anarcho communist come exclusively from far right sources). Anyway, maybe maintaining a fake, superficial sense of peace and order when there is a clear and deep antagonism isn't productive either.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Unless you've got an event to plan for years in advance like the G20, the police are only capable of prosecuting arrests for crimes after-the-fact. They're not physically capable of protecting anything. There just aren't enough resources, even after over a decade of militarization and DoHD money.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

You made it sound like the mayors were in the pocket of big Antifa, which was pretty funny (and the accusations of the mayor of Berkeley being a secret anarcho communist come exclusively from far right sources). Anyway, maybe maintaining a fake, superficial sense of peace and order when there is a clear and deep antagonism isn't productive either.

They come from his own facebook but whatevs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byolante posted:

They come from his own facebook but whatevs

Specific links?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/mmmagnar/status/897428583773335552

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he followed a local BAMN person on twitter. did you know that following someone on twitter doesnt have to mean you unconditionally agree with their views

Serf
May 5, 2011

if we had secret anarcho-communist mayors that would rule actually lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anyway the reason the berkeley cops didn't beat up the protestors was because the last time they did it turned out that the protestors they were beating up were wholly uc berkeley students and their rich parents got mad and it became a huge embarassment for the cops namaste

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

HIJK has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Aug 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

anyway the reason the berkeley cops didn't beat up the protestors was because the last time they did it turned out that the protestors they were beating up were wholly uc berkeley students and their rich parents got mad and it became a huge embarassment for the cops namaste

There was pretty much no downside to the cops attacking the WNs in Cvillle, because they were all either from out of state or from Canada.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

HIJK posted:

it's almost like there's some sort of cycle that everyone is culpable in unless we deliberately stay away from it

Nazis don't go away if you ignore them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mods please rename this The Anti-Anti-Fascist Thread

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nazis don't go away if you ignore them.

fake Nazis do go away when they realize they can't troll you. here's a hint, if they're wearing a polo shirt and carrying a tiki torch they're a fake nazi

fat American Nazis and the ones from 100 years ago with the contraptions on the history channel aren't the same or even similar, they're aping those affectations because they get you riled

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
you can always tell someone who hasn't had experiences with real Nazis, because they're loving scary dudes. saw them frequently out between sultan and chelan in eastern WA, dudes with the 14 words on their face and 88 on their bikes and poo poo. go ahead and punch those dudes. they're not trolls and are evil.

of course the Seattle crew would prefer to slap around some dude who has a bowl cut and is wearing a white shirt instead of confronting the truly scary and hateful racism in their backyard

call to action has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When they reach the point where they are agitated enough to actually, physically travel somewhere to march around and face a pissed off crowd, they are not fake. They are maybe not NAzis, strictly speaking, but they certainly are something, that something is bad, and they are it very genuinely. The fake Nazis post memes on the internet, and when they show up at a far right rally, they get chased away.

• Locked thread