Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

That's because AvP is a good movie.

It's shite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

That's because AvP is a good movie.

It sucks poo poo and why David has ruined Alien movies for fanboys.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Snak posted:

Yeah, I was just saying "why would you need to say that lucasfilm hasn't actually endorsed a crazy 5-way crossover between star wars and aliens."

I assume it's more about maintaining the wiki style than any perception of situational necessity.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

Yeah, I was just saying "why would you need to say that lucasfilm hasn't actually endorsed a crazy 5-way crossover between star wars and aliens."

Because it's extremely rare for a wiki to prioritize common sense over its style guide.

e: f;b

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Low Desert Punk posted:

I watched AVP with the commentary from Paul WS Anderson, Lance Henriksen, and Sanaa Lathan last night. It's hilarious. Lance Henriksen is so complimentary and happy about the movie, he kept gushing about how incredible the lighting was and would respond with "wow!" to everything Anderson said.

"It's super dense, this movie. It really is." - direct quote from Lance Henriksen

On the Alien 3 commentary he mentions how that spiral staircase near Andrews' office, he was so fond of it he purchased it after production wrapped up and had it installed in his home. It's awesome.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RedSpider posted:

The Xenomorph has been referred to as a 'demon' in Alien 3 as well. How is Alien 3's demon metaphor different from Covenant's?

The basic, but fundamental, difference is that Alien3 says altered states of consciousness can allow you to see the alien at the heart of the universe (and this is mostly metaphorical; the alien literally appears out of nowhere and Ridley contacts it with a literal vision quest). This is Nightmare On Elm Street logic, or It Follows logic.

Covenant, on the other hand, says that altered states of consciousness can turn you into an alien, and this is fairly literal - the fictional conceit is that there is an alien drug in the diegesis that can actually do this. This is more akin to Cronenberg logic - (ironically?) approaching Blomkamp logic.

In other words, Alien3 is about a nightmare that behaves like an alien, while Covenant is about an alien that behaves like a nightmare.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty good visual comparison video comparing scenes from Covenant to classical works of art.

https://vimeo.com/228756074

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I watched AVP with the commentary from Paul WS Anderson, Lance Henriksen, and Sanaa Lathan last night. It's hilarious. Lance Henriksen is so complimentary and happy about the movie, he kept gushing about how incredible the lighting was and would respond with "wow!" to everything Anderson said.

"It's super dense, this movie. It really is." - direct quote from Lance Henriksen

Lance Henriksen is pretty much always taking the piss, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lance Henrikson has been in some really, really bad movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Pretty good visual comparison video comparing scenes from Covenant to classical works of art.

https://vimeo.com/228756074

You know, I was rolling my eyes when I clicked on this but it's a proper set of comparisons. Really good video.

I especially love "Beatrice and Virgil" with David as Walter's feminine counterpart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Harbinger Down makes AvP look like Blade Runner.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Harbinger Down makes AvP look like Blade Runner.

I backed that on Kickstarter, Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff even signed my bluray case.

I regret nothing. :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonna go pick up Covenant and Sonic Mania tonight.

I'm interested in the bonus stuff and Blu-Ray featurettes. Cool times.

Is there a special steelbook copy or some version with an extra CD or something at Best Buy or Target I should know about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Best Buy has a rad steelbook.

Also it comes out tomorrow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

Best Buy has a rad steelbook.

Also it comes out tomorrow.

Glad to hear this. Was gonna get it at Wal-Mart late tonight. I'll hold off for the Best Buy one tomorrow afternoon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonz posted:

Glad to hear this. Was gonna get it at Wal-Mart late tonight. I'll hold off for the Best Buy one tomorrow afternoon.
I have the Best Buy steelbook on preorder so I can pick it up tomorrow, but Target also has some sort of bonus art book that's meant to be a recreation of David's creature journal or something like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

The Slammin' Salmon was loving hilarious and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Y'know I feel like Screamers was at least a good premise for a franchise.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Y'know I feel like Screamers was at least a good premise for a franchise.

I wouldn't have minded a TV series where it's just a small group of androids that got off the planet and have to pass as human on earth/whatever planet has a huge city in that setting. There'd be a lot of potential for interesting interactions with the human population + other technology and less independent AI around them and so on. And if they need action or violence they can have a Blade Runner wannabe coming after them after couple of episodes or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean if Screamers and Screamers 2 had been good movies, a series showing things from the androids' point of view would be a great continuation. KW Jeter's Blade Runner novels at least toyed with that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean if Screamers and Screamers 2 had been good movies, a series showing things from the androids' point of view would be a great continuation. KW Jeter's Blade Runner novels at least toyed with that.

the first Screamers owns, I haven't actually seen 2 though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When I read about the movies, they sounded awesome; I pictured the Screamers as being like whirring spiders made of blades. Instead they're bulky contraptions that make it look like soldiers are being attacked by old power tools, which looks funny and pretty much ruins the movies for me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the first Screamers owns, I haven't actually seen 2 though

Appropriately enough for the recent direction of the thread, Lance Henriksen is in it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I could have told you that Harbinger Down would suck based on its title alone. I wrote a big rant about it somewhere, probably in the main chat thread.

edit: Lance Henrikson is also in Hellraiser 8: Hellworld, which is the one where Hellraiser is like an MMO ARG, but they didn't have the budget to ever show any of it, so the characters always just talk about how they played it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's the specific objection to the title?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Screamers is actually really good. Don't know about the 2nd, but for a low budget 90's canadian scifi filmed in the industrial wasteland than is the canadian shield it's good.
Although Turbo Kid is now a much better industrial wasteland that is the canadian shield movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Screamers one was pretty good. Never saw any of the others.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In literally every Alien franchise movie, the survivor characters come into close contact with the aliens while not wearing a helmet, and still make it to the end of the film.

Multiple characters die while wearing helmets, and no characters are ever successfully protected by a helmet at any point.

The same is true with the cryo-pods.
I continue to be baffled by people whose ideal Alien film is "Starship Troopers with no element of satire." A bug hunt.

Even better idea: the Space Marines are a multicultural cast of drone operators who bomb the aliens to dust by tweeting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's the specific objection to the title?

This is gonna sound really petty, but here goes:

In a vacuum, a title should convey something. Not necessarily about the story it's textual contents (which Harbinger Down does), but it should convey some kind of tone. Here's a few examples of what I mean

Black Hawk Down - something has fallen, it's bad.

Mercury Rising - this conjures the idea of a themometer. Things are heating up.

Blade Runner - this conveys danger and speed.

L.A. Confidential - secrets in a big city

Apocalypse Now - self explanatory

Harbinger Down is a title chosen to be eye-catching and cool sounding. I don't care if the plot is textually about a boat called Harbinger being sunk. So what's wrong with that? Well what does Harbinger Down convey?
These two words feel like they are in direct opposition. A "Harbinger" is an ill omen. It's bad, you don't want it. "Down" in this context, is almost always used to convey a loss, but occasional a victory. In things like White House Down and Black Hawk Down, "Down" down is used to imply a failure or disaster. I'm not sure of any movie titles, but in theory you could have a movie titled something like "Death Star Down" and it would be implying a victory. The phrase "One down..." uses down in this way, so it's not inconceivable that "Harbinger Down" is a good thing, since Harbingers are bad and it's good when one goes down. But it's also a title in an evironment where every other movie titles "_____ Down" is using it as a bad thing. You've got Igby Goes Down, Best Man Down, Officer Down, Falling Down, All Fall Down, the ones i've already mentioned, and also the related Never Back Down, which uses "down" in a different way, but still as a negative.

You're probably all going to say "wow, you're way overthinking this, and problem is probably with your brain, and not the movie title", but what I'm trying to explain is the mechanism for why the title rubs me the wrong way subconsciously.

Since, as far as I can tell, in the context of movie, Harbinger is the ominous name of the fishing boat the protagonists use, I feel pretty justified that it was selected because it sounded cool, and they wanted a cool name for the movie. It would have gone a long way to making the title at least tonally fit if "Harbinger" was the name of the crashed soviet space ship that they find.

Of course a movie can have a bad title and be a good movie, but "Harbinger Down" is a conflicted mess of sound-cool words and phrasing. Ever since I saw the title of the movie, I've thought "wow, that's a movie trying really hard to have a cool sounding title". Which is understandable, but the reason it feels so totally empty like that is that, unlike many other films that try to have cool sounding titles, this one doesn't communicate a coherent or mysterious thought.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The "Harbinger" is the crashed ship they find, and the thing inside it, , and "Down" is where they find it. It's "down" there beneath the ice.

So the title is telling you that a Harbinger of something will be found below. Pretty vague but harbinger typically has a negative connotation, as in "harbinger of doom", so that kinda lets on that the thing they find is bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The "Harbinger" is the crashed ship they find, and the thing inside it, , and "Down" is where they find it. It's "down" there beneath the ice.

So the title is telling you that a Harbinger of something will be found below. Pretty vague but harbinger typically has a negative connotation, as in "harbinger of doom", so that kinda lets on that the thing they find is bad.

Their fishing boat is named The Harbinger not the soviet ship

I'm not spoilering details to that bad movie. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harbinger Down existed to show how great practical effects were, and that they still have a place in modern cinema.

The effects are great, but they're shot and lit so bad, that it completely ruins the point and the movie ends up looking more of a damnation of practical.

I love ADI to death, but goddamn that movie was super poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh was that the movie where they guys who were going to do the physical effects for the new The Thing before it went totally CG decided to make this instead to showcase all the practical effects they developed?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think part of the reason I never watched Pandorum is the aggressively meaningless title and box art that didn't distinguish it from everything else on super-sale at dying Blockbuster franchises.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Their fishing boat is named The Harbinger not the soviet ship

I'm not spoilering details to that bad movie. :colbert:

Right, but for the purposes of the title, and how it gives you clues as to what the movie is going to be about, the "harbinger" it refers to is what they find under the ice. A harbinger of their own doom, or maybe the doom of the entire planet. And it is "down" there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I think part of the reason I never watched Pandorum is the aggressively meaningless title and box art that didn't distinguish it from everything else on super-sale at dying Blockbuster franchises.

Pandorum was an unexpected surprise. I liked it.

Basebf555 posted:

Right, but for the purposes of the title, and how it gives you clues as to what the movie is going to be about, the "harbinger" it refers to is what they find under the ice. A harbinger of their own doom, or maybe the doom of the entire planet. And it is "down" there.

My b, i mistook your point, thought you were detail correcting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

This is gonna sound really petty, but here goes:

In a vacuum, a title should convey something. Not necessarily about the story it's textual contents (which Harbinger Down does), but it should convey some kind of tone. Here's a few examples of what I mean

Black Hawk Down - something has fallen, it's bad.

Mercury Rising - this conjures the idea of a themometer. Things are heating up.

Blade Runner - this conveys danger and speed.

L.A. Confidential - secrets in a big city

Apocalypse Now - self explanatory

Harbinger Down is a title chosen to be eye-catching and cool sounding. I don't care if the plot is textually about a boat called Harbinger being sunk. So what's wrong with that? Well what does Harbinger Down convey?
These two words feel like they are in direct opposition. A "Harbinger" is an ill omen. It's bad, you don't want it. "Down" in this context, is almost always used to convey a loss, but occasional a victory. In things like White House Down and Black Hawk Down, "Down" down is used to imply a failure or disaster. I'm not sure of any movie titles, but in theory you could have a movie titled something like "Death Star Down" and it would be implying a victory. The phrase "One down..." uses down in this way, so it's not inconceivable that "Harbinger Down" is a good thing, since Harbingers are bad and it's good when one goes down. But it's also a title in an evironment where every other movie titles "_____ Down" is using it as a bad thing. You've got Igby Goes Down, Best Man Down, Officer Down, Falling Down, All Fall Down, the ones i've already mentioned, and also the related Never Back Down, which uses "down" in a different way, but still as a negative.

You're probably all going to say "wow, you're way overthinking this, and problem is probably with your brain, and not the movie title", but what I'm trying to explain is the mechanism for why the title rubs me the wrong way subconsciously.

Since, as far as I can tell, in the context of movie, Harbinger is the ominous name of the fishing boat the protagonists use, I feel pretty justified that it was selected because it sounded cool, and they wanted a cool name for the movie. It would have gone a long way to making the title at least tonally fit if "Harbinger" was the name of the crashed soviet space ship that they find.

Of course a movie can have a bad title and be a good movie, but "Harbinger Down" is a conflicted mess of sound-cool words and phrasing. Ever since I saw the title of the movie, I've thought "wow, that's a movie trying really hard to have a cool sounding title". Which is understandable, but the reason it feels so totally empty like that is that, unlike many other films that try to have cool sounding titles, this one doesn't communicate a coherent or mysterious thought.

I like this post.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

Oh was that the movie where they guys who were going to do the physical effects for the new The Thing before it went totally CG decided to make this instead to showcase all the practical effects they developed?

Yes.

They also did the effects for Alien 3 onward to AvP-R.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

But you have to work backwards from knowing stuff about the movie to get that. A title is the first impression a movie makes on you, and this one gives the immediate impression of empty garbage.
And this is a valid mechanic for a "mysterious title". That's whole category of movie titles, where you have to watch the movie to find out what they really mean, but I think it doesn't work here because the title doesn't convey mystery. It's not a title that makes you think "I wonder what Harbinger is and what happens to it". And if it does, the question of what Harbinger is is answered almost immediately. I think.

Halloween Jack posted:

Pandorum is a pretty mediocre titled, also with a pretty bad justification for its use. It gets points for invoking the idea of "Pandora's Box", implying a releasing of trapped or hidden evil. But "Pandorum" is just a made up garbage word to sound cool, and when it comes up in the movie it's the hackiest poo poo. Great movie, though. A little uneven, but extremely my poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like this post.
Thanks. It's making me want to go do a big post about movie titles in general in the main thread, because it could be a really interesting topic to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't want to see a movie called John Wick. Sounds like a boring drama about a guy who sells air fragrance outlets.

Also I super disagree that movie titles are interesting to discuss. Most titles are thrown together at the end just to give it a name. Some are creative, but not usually.