Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i think hate speech laws are fine, but the political will doesn't really exist to do it at all, much less do it correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

why are nazis here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Nonsense posted:

why are nazis here

Nazis were the center all along

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i'm still going to go ahead and say anti rioting laws will spectacularly backfire

https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/897457875307704320

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i'm not gunna say ya'll are wrong about this, but I'm veeeerrrry skeptical

coathat
May 21, 2007

50 years for committing a hate crime against Goldman Sachs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coathat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5zQpN28xa4

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah thats what i mean, its like.... i know it works ok in some countries but i dont trust the us to do it right

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

coathat posted:

30 years for attempting to incite revolution.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Interesting how the ACLU apologists have shifted the discussion from the waste of legal resources on Nazis to a generalized notion of "we shouldn't pass hate speech laws."

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Karl Barks posted:

i'm still going to go ahead and say anti rioting laws will spectacularly backfire

Cummo is just trying to reach out to all those Panera Bread Republicans the Democrats have been looking for so long that finally revealed themselves this weekend.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

if cuomo thinks it's a good idea, it's a bad idea

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whenever some yankee talks poo poo about the South, I just close my eyes and think of all the times they re-elected Cuomo.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i mean does the conversation have to only be about if the aclu screwed up? i think the broader conversation is more interesting

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the aclu did gently caress up, but that doesn't mean we should give cops and prosecutors more power imo

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

we shouldn't have hate speech laws. idc about what the ACLU does.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
lol quoting yourself

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Whenever some yankee talks poo poo about the South, I just close my eyes and think of all the times they re-elected Cuomo.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

logikv9 posted:

logikv9 posted:

logikv9 posted:

lol quoting yourself
lol quoting yourself
lol quoting yourself
lol quoting yourself

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

self retweeting is an important tool

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
quoteception

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think asking administrators or cops to help with fascists is all that helpful because it is a much more powerful statement to drive them out yourself.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
why would cops want to act against their best interest anyway

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Karl Barks posted:

Didn't he call BLM and OWS protests riots...

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol yeah it's real loving baffling how the argument got generalized, what with the conflation of the ACLU's opinions with random FOX news hosts and the focus on how state power should be used to categorically deny any venue

just about impossible to see why proponents of free speech aren't exclusively giving detailed explanations of why fighting salient place/time restrictions for purposes of precedent to people who are expressing fundamental philosophical disagreements

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Ytlaya posted:

Hamprince's attitude is basically what happens if you take a random liberal and then suddenly expose them to leftists badmouthing liberals. They instantly become defensive, because they can't really see the world in a way other than "liberals are the good guys fighting conservatives." Leftists throw a wrench in that worldview, so they feel the need to convince themselves that either 1. leftists are just as bad as right-wingers or 2. leftists are dumb and naive (which, coincidentally, is the same argument conservatives use against liberals).

edit: I mean, this thought process doesn't exactly occur explicitly; it just manifests as folks like Hamprince feeling a general sense of irritation towards leftists and then viewing everything through a lens with that bias.

A deep thought is just occurring to me. It might not be explicit or conscious but I think some of you guys might not like centrism and might think it's naive or stupid. I'm just getting this vibe from some things you say.

Comdiv doesn't like or care about democracy or rights. I said this ages ago.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LGD posted:

lol yeah it's real loving baffling how the argument got generalized, what with the conflation of the ACLU's opinions with random FOX news hosts and the focus on how state power should be used to categorically deny any venue

just about impossible to see why proponents of free speech aren't exclusively giving detailed explanations of why fighting salient place/time restrictions for purposes of precedent to people who are expressing fundamental philosophical disagreements

If you want to be so principled, then give the Nazis your money directly.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you want to be so principled, then give the Nazis your money directly.

just an utter loving mystery why the discussion doesn't stay focused on the pros/cons of the specific legal argument

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LGD posted:

just an utter loving mystery

It's not too hard to figure out that you need the cover of a liberal institution, to help soften the blow of helping Nazis get free legal representation.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not too hard to figure out that you need the cover of a liberal institution, to help soften the blow of helping Nazis get free legal representation.

Oh gosh I better abandon my longstanding principles because a myopic idiot has moved on from "just asking questions" about people defending the ACLU to calling them Nazis by association

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

Comdiv doesn't like or care about democracy or rights. I said this ages ago.

:bagl:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Karl Barks posted:

so what are they going to do to hockey/basketball/football/etc rioters?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LGD posted:

Oh gosh I better abandon my longstanding principles because a myopic idiot has moved on from "just asking questions" about people defending the ACLU to calling them Nazis by association

a woman is dead, dumbass. your principles in a practical sense mean Nazis deserve special representation in lieu of others. ACLU also represented the Citizens United case. is defense of corporate power also in line with your principles?

spare me the moral posturing.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Karl Barks posted:

arent like a hundred random people from inauguration day protests still facing charges that carry 80 years in prison for this

oh yeah and also Philando Castile's cousin when he participated in protests instead of Trusting The Process

the only people that are ever charged with rioting are leftists lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

a woman is dead, dumbass. your principles in a practical sense mean Nazis deserve special representation in lieu of others. ACLU also represented the Citizens United case. is defense of corporate power also in line with your principles?

spare me the moral posturing.

tbh I think "spare me the moral posturing" works much better when your argument has a basis other than trying to induce shame through fallacious associations, in the grossly mistaken assumption that I crave your approval

this is a pretty old playbook dude, I don't think anyone with a genuine interest in civil liberties hasn't seen this noise a thousand times before and your clumsy deployment isn't changing any minds

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LGD posted:

tbh I think "spare me the moral posturing" works much better when your argument has a basis other than trying to induce shame through fallacious associations, in the grossly mistaken assumption that I crave your approval

this is a pretty old playbook dude, I don't think anyone with a genuine interest in civil liberties hasn't seen this noise a thousand times before and your clumsy deployment isn't changing any minds

It's not a fallacious association.

1)> you give money to the ACLU, 2)> that they use to pay their lawyers and cover other expenses, so they can 3)> represent corporations and Nazis to boost their profile.

Whether or not you get my approval is besides the point. The point is that your principles are trash.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's nazis all the way down

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

tbh i'm more than a little disgusted that the ACLU could find time to defend bribery as free speech and nazis, but didn't expend resources protecting prisoners rights to read books from the prison library

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not a fallacious association.

1)> you give money to the ACLU, 2)> that they use to pay their lawyers and cover other expenses, so they can 3)> represent corporations and Nazis to boost their profile.

Whether or not you get my approval is besides the point. The point is that your principles are trash.

I mean if you're not relying on me caring about your opinion of my character why do you think "your principles are trash" and "it's not fallacious to call you a Nazi supporter" would be, uh, remotely persuasive?

your "arguments" exclusively consist of strident condemnations and demands that people justify themselves to you, while completely eliding any attempt to persuade through any means beyond association fallacies and emotional appeals

that's extremely uncompelling, especially since, again, this is all very old-hat authoritarian stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

the nazis: we want to come to your town and kill people
Charlottesville: no it isnt allowed
aclu: you have to let them kill whomever they like
the nazis: kill people
aclu: justice has prevailed

• Locked thread