Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chris Chibnall has written five full episodes of Doctor Who and eight episodes of its spin-off and I still can't, for the life of me, picture what his work as a showrunner for the show will be like. You're right, Broadchurch doesn't really give us any indication. When January rolls around and we start seeing stuff like who the new companion is, what kind of sets they're using, what writers are coming back, if they are doing a writer's room, etc. then I guess we'll start to have an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'll just be happy if we get 13 episodes + Christmas Special on-time every year. How they struggle with this is beyond me. I know it is a very dialogue heavy show and the expectations shouldn't be that something airs forever, but they have missed the equivalent of 2 1/2 seasons in the past 9 years.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd be very, very shocked if Olivia Coleman was seriously considered. Jodie Whittaker is a lot more marketable (i.e.- attractive). An easier sell to the BBC execs worried about the viewers they have been haemorrhaging with an old man as the Doctor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slowpoke! posted:

I'll just be happy if we get 13 episodes + Christmas Special on-time every year. How they struggle with this is beyond me. I know it is a very dialogue heavy show and the expectations shouldn't be that something airs forever, but they have missed the equivalent of 2 1/2 seasons in the past 9 years.

Moffat sucks at budgeting and keeps churning through producers who say, "Wait, no, we can't afford this," is what I understand to be the short reason. Pretty sure he went massively over-budget on Pandorica Opens / Big Bang, and that's why the sixth season was split up. And then he cocked up the budget again with 7b.

I'm still sad to see Moffat go because I've loved seasons 5, 7, most of 8 and almost everything in 10 (6 and 9 can just gently caress off, though), but it's clear he stretched himself too thin. It would be interesting to see another Moffat season now that Sherlock appears to be over.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also Moffat mixing up his professional and personal life and breaking up with his girlfriend / sacking his producer by telling her "you are erased from Doctor Who!" in front of a bunch of people.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have a controversial belief that Stephen Moffat is, mostly, a good writer who over-extends himself sometimes and has a few signatures that grate after awhile.

He is also almost unquestionably a terrible showrunner, though. It seems as though there was a lack of professionalism that drove producers away from the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Chris Chibnall has written five full episodes of Doctor Who and eight episodes of its spin-off and I still can't, for the life of me, picture what his work as a showrunner for the show will be like.

I said this a few months ago, and I'm still no closer to an idea. Here's a thought experiment that comes off that. Try and imagine what the console room will look like under Chinball. When Moffat was coming in, I guessed it would look more 'fairy tale', a big anarchic space for his mad professor.

Chibnall? Nothing, no clue.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

My only guess is that there will be round things.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I have a controversial belief that Stephen Moffat is, mostly, a good writer who over-extends himself sometimes and has a few signatures that grate after awhile.

He is also almost unquestionably a terrible showrunner, though. It seems as though there was a lack of professionalism that drove producers away from the show.

This is pretty much how I think of it. There's no question that he's got a tremendous amount of talent; he wrote some (not all) of the best episodes of the Davies era and, for that matter, some (not all) of the best episodes (and a couple of the worst) of the Moffat era.

But even if there were no other indications of trouble behind the scenes (and, you know, going literal years between seasons is a bit of a clue) the sheer number of episodes, especially later into his run, that felt like they were thrown together at the last minute would be something of a giveaway that his house wasn't in order.

(Also he should never be allowed to give interviews.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I said this a few months ago, and I'm still no closer to an idea. Here's a thought experiment that comes off that. Try and imagine what the console room will look like under Chinball. When Moffat was coming in, I guessed it would look more 'fairy tale', a big anarchic space for his mad professor.

If I had to guess, I'd say Thirteen's TARDIS will be a bit starker. Less see-through floors and more like the classic show, although maybe with some accent walls instead of purely white. You're right though, I really have no idea. It'll be exciting to discover, as long as it's good :v:

howe_sam posted:

I agree and hope so.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

howe_sam posted:

Oh, I love the round things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if Clara wasn't lying in Dark Water or whatever the other one was where she says she is the Doctor? Jodie Whittaker is just a red herring.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A new spin-off where Donna gets past the whole "It'll burn up my brain" thing and travels the Universe as the Doctor-Donna.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

Jodie Whittaker is just a red herring.

Like communism!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

marktheando posted:

I'd be very, very shocked if Olivia Coleman was seriously considered. Jodie Whittaker is a lot more marketable (i.e.- attractive). An easier sell to the BBC execs worried about the viewers they have been haemorrhaging with an old man as the Doctor.

People say it's that but I think people are just tired of Moffat's bullshit

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The changes in his character likely turned some of the audience off; I've seen surprising numbers of people on this forum alone who've said that a crucial part of the show for them is the main character being nice to people.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The changes in his character likely turned some of the audience off; I've seen surprising numbers of people on this forum alone who've said that a crucial part of the show for them is the main character being nice to people.

Or at least not spending every episode insulting his companion's appearance and yelling orders that include statements like "If you don't like it, you can stop traveling with me."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

I'd argue the point, but remembered that they kept Tennant but recast Colman for the American Broadchurch remake.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0la0OVPU_4

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue the point, but remembered that they kept Tennant but recast Colman for the American Broadchurch remake.
It probably was a mistake to keep Tennant around (especially because they made him try an American accent), they should've gone with an entirely different cast with Gracepoint.

This is amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

2house2fly posted:

He is the first new who to be a dick for no reason yeah, and he also doesn't even really grow or change like Eccleston did because Moffat is allergic to character growth

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

He is the first new who to be a dick for no reason yeah, and he also doesn't even really grow or change like Eccleston did because Moffat is allergic to character growth

I think he grows a lot, but I do think the cruelty post-regeneration comes out of nowhere and feels like an attempt at deconstructing the Doctor that is both unnecessary and not extremely well thought-out. It feels like a kind of childish regression after Eleven, which, like, fine, for an episode of regeneration, when he's all scared and adapting to a new personality and face, but he should have grown out of it quicker. Plus, it often felt cynical which is one of the very few characteristics I would say is totally at odds with the Doctor.

Having just gone through all of the Clara episodes, though, that last episode, just as I remembered, has the typical fifteen minutes of vague and ineffective tension building with Rassilon and whatever, but once she's onscreen it improves vastly. It gets better when the Doctor says "I have a duty of care," and better still in the final scene when the Doctor and Clara and talking about the memory device (I could have done with a much more truncated version of the scene with Me, because the Hyrbid, we get it, is just a maguffin, but whatever). I guess I sort of get why people have some issues with Clara, but I definitely don't get how anyone has issues with Jenna Coleman, who handles an entire episode of very difficult emotional work extremely well. Both Capaldi and Coleman are incredibly throughout their entire run, even when the writing isn't working for them, but especially when it is.

Further rewatching: the River Song Christmas special is fun in a traditional Christmas special way, and Dr. Mysterioso was bad enough that I barely paid attention to it, to be honest.

The Pilot is a great episode, and I'm really glad echoplex posted here, because some of the background info on the scenery makes it even easier to appreciate. (All of the nighttime stuff at the university is great - the lighting, the Doctor's room, Bill's outfit, and yes, even Murray Gold's BIG, ENORMOUS SOUNDTRACK.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Actually, my hot take on Murray Gold, to be honest, is that the music fits the material, and he's an unsung hero of New Who. The show will be a lot worse when he leaves.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The part where Clara just stares the Doctor down and snaps "No-one is guaranteed a future, but I am ENTITLED to my past!" is great and is one of the rare times where the Doctor is categorically being shown to be in the wrong by the narrative. And Peter's performance as his memories fade is amazing as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

Having just watched Broadchurch (soon to be rechristened The Other Three Doctors), I'd be disappointed if he hadn't at least thought seriously about Colman.

Speaking of: S1 of Broadchurch is fantastic, but it doesn't exactly reassure me that Chibnall is a good choice for showrunner. He's clearly come a long way since Torchwood, but he still seems captivated by that which is darkly problematic about the human condition. Doctor Who is about the parts of the human spirit that triumph over evil, Broadchurch (along with Torchwood) is about the parts that find it seductive and/or can't overcome it.

:agreed: I think Colman would have been a better choice, but as I'm working through S3 Whittaker is really bringing it, so...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ha. Recently read that during the mid-80s hiatus, Sydney Newman wrote to Michael Grade asking him to sack JNT and make him (Newman) executive producer, with his plan apparently being to bring back Patrick Troughton (whether as the Seventh Doctor or as the Second Doctor coming back for another go round isn't clear from what I can see) to "steady the ship" and then "metamorphose" into a woman. Precisely what that means wasn't completely clear to me either.

I wonder who he'd have picked.

Can you imagine how batshit awesome/potentially horrible/who knows? all of that would have been?

A retired 60s tv producer coming back in the 80s with a star from the 60s to revitalize a show, then going off into a whole new direction?

As much as I love McCoy, I want to see the alternate universe where that happened. poo poo, there's a project for Big Finish. All they have to do is get Frazer and someone who can pastiche a Sydney Newman showrunning in 1986 style. :getin:

TinTower posted:

Oh, I love the round things.

What are the round things?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gaz-L posted:

The part where Clara just stares the Doctor down and snaps "No-one is guaranteed a future, but I am ENTITLED to my past!" is great and is one of the rare times where the Doctor is categorically being shown to be in the wrong by the narrative. And Peter's performance as his memories fade is amazing as well.

She had some drat great scenes throughout her time on the show, and in the same way you can litmus test how strong a given Doctor is by trying to put their dialogue in another Doctor's mouth (I can't imagine Smith or Tennant saying much of Capaldi's dialogue, but Eccleston fits surprisingly well) some of the stuff she's had to deal with I can't see any other companions doing in her place. Like, imagine Billie Piper getting interrogated by the Half Face Man in Deep Breath, or Amy trying to handle Flatline

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Astroman posted:

A retired 60s tv producer coming back in the 80s with a star from the 60s to revitalize a show, then going off into a whole new direction?

Sounds like Doctor Who: The Next Generation.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Senor Tron posted:

Sounds like Doctor Who: The Next Generation.

Starting off with the, oh, Thirtieth Doctor?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CobiWann posted:

Starting off with the, oh, Thirtieth Doctor?

40,000 years old, completely insane.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Cojawfee posted:

40,000 years old, completely insane.

Sounds like a deconstructed Rick and Morty, which is already pretty deconstructed.

Maybe they could match the production values to the writing, so it's just a series of photographs of someone making GBS threads in a graveyard with "THIS IS DOCTOR WHO" written on them in red marker. In the background, an intern scrapes keys across a metal sheet for sound effects.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Actually, my hot take on Murray Gold, to be honest, is that the music fits the material, and he's an unsung hero of New Who. The show will be a lot worse when he leaves.

Wait, Gold's leaving too? Didn't really see that coming.

I really, really liked his theme for Capaldi's Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Wait, Gold's leaving too? Didn't really see that coming.

No, there's no news about him leaving, sorry to mislead. I meant that whenever he does go, it'll be a loss.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He probably loves working on Who. Good steady work for a composer is always welcome, and he's free to play around as he pleases.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

same, it's a classic "dark hero" sound

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

okay fess up who gave Strax a Facebook account

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Astroman posted:

What are the round things?

No idea.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
So uh... um......... has anyone listened to the new Torchwood season Big Finish is doing? Morbidly curious about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Extremely surprised to learn that people apparently didn't like doctor twelve. He's by far my favorite doctor, and I'm gonna miss him a lot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rifftrax is doing the Five Doctors for one of their live shows, and some one in the thread over there asked what he needed to know to get up to speed for it, knowing nothing about the show.

I think I covered it quite well

Burkion posted:

So okay, you might actually need to know the VERY basics of this.

The Doctor of Doctor Who is a magical space alien of a group called the Time Lords, who are themselves quasi magical space wizard scientists. They have the ability to regenerate a certain number of times when they grow too old or are mortally wounded. Once they hit that limit, that's all there is to it and they die. The Doctor has a best friend/lover/hated arch rival/fuckbuddy named the Master who is also a Time Lord who is out of regenerations himself.

He fights a bunch of bad guys including robot people who are allergic to gold, Nazi R2D2s that like to shout, and some really lovely looking other things.

Now the whole point of this special is that it's about the Five Doctors up to this era of the show meeting up. So I'll give you a very quick run down on all of them.

The First Doctor is not in this special, instead his replace, the Furst Doctor, was brought in. He is old and cantankerous and doesn't do a whole lot. He brings his granddaughter along with him.

The Second Doctor is a clown who is much more clever than he likes to let on, and enjoys playing musical instruments. He is bringing along an old military friend of his the Brigadier.

The Third Doctor is a dandy who is basically James Bond but on a BBC budget and saying really silly alien words with made up kung fu. He is bringing Sarah Jane Smith, who is basically The Girl That Travels With The Doctor personified.

The Fourth Doctor is a wax statue. He is bringing with him copious amounts of stock footage and a winning smile.

The Fifth Doctor is a long suffering idiot who means well. Nothing good ever happens to him. Except getting a little boy killed, that was a pretty good day for him.

And that is all you need to know!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Three and a Half Doctors and a Man in a Wig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mymla posted:

Extremely surprised to learn that people apparently didn't like doctor twelve. He's by far my favorite doctor, and I'm gonna miss him a lot.

Capaldi was fantastic as the Doctor. The Doctor was somewhat unevenly written his first year, but as with Colin Baker's time on the show, none of the problems were really his fault.

I'm super looking forward to Jodie Whittaker's take on the character, but I wouldn't have minded getting another year or two of Capaldi.

• Locked thread