Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tamba posted:

suuuuuuper expensive?

With super poor lifetime. I don't trust oleds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

With super poor lifetime. I don't trust oleds.

But it's so nostalgic of CRT with its reverse burn-in! I love that part of my phone's screen that's brighter than the rest when watching a video because it is mainly black status bar! :downs:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think the bubble is raising failing on buttcoins. I can't figure out how to check my post history on mobile, but within the last few days I got an email from micro center about RX 470s at (I believe) $359, just got an email saying they're at $279. It's only $100 or so over MSRP!

This is good. I don't remember prices being so high for so long last time the coins went crazy.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

I think the bubble is raising failing on buttcoins. I can't figure out how to check my post history on mobile, but within the last few days I got an email from micro center about RX 470s at (I believe) $359, just got an email saying they're at $279. It's only $100 or so over MSRP!

This is good. I don't remember prices being so high for so long last time the coins went crazy.

Locally the only 470 in stock is a mining card with no video out going for $480. There's a single 570 in stock for $480, yesterday it was $505. If you're looking for a 580 that'll be $620.

I feel like I've been waiting for months. Oh, right, I have.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

How long has this been going? I've only just started looking at hardware again now that Ryzen is coming down in price. I've never paid more than ~$250 for a video card (GTX 760 and the 460 before it), so its bizarre seeing the same class of cards nearly double that. I was going to look at used cards but even what I assume is burnt out ex-mining stock is way inflated.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Frogfingers posted:

How long has this been going? I've only just started looking at hardware again now that Ryzen is coming down in price. I've never paid more than ~$250 for a video card (GTX 760 and the 460 before it), so its bizarre seeing the same class of cards nearly double that. I was going to look at used cards but even what I assume is burnt out ex-mining stock is way inflated.

poo poo's been bad since May.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Ive been using nowinstock and Ive bought like 4 580s in the past month. Its not that hard to get a hold of one for less than $300 if you get alerted in time. Its crazy to hear people waiting forever.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's just nuts that the craze has persisted for so long now. I mean, the partners (and AMD) must be thrilled that they're selling cards like mad, but if the objective is to actually get those cards used for gaming (and thus gain mind share, at the very least) then that is failing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Green Gloves posted:

Ive been using nowinstock and Ive bought like 4 580s in the past month. Its not that hard to get a hold of one for less than $300 if you get alerted in time. Its crazy to hear people waiting forever.

What're you doing with 4 580s? Are you mining yourself, or selling them to miners for $350+?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gonkish posted:

It's just nuts that the craze has persisted for so long now. I mean, the partners (and AMD) must be thrilled that they're selling cards like mad, but if the objective is to actually get those cards used for gaming (and thus gain mind share, at the very least) then that is failing.

The other problem is, the bigger the bubble, the harder the crash. When it comes, good luck selling any amount at all of low or mid range GPUs.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you doing with 4 580s? Are you mining yourself, or selling them to miners for $350+?

Flipping them to make about $50 each.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Anybody heard anything about the rumored Pascal refresh? My 970 is struggling at 1440p and I'm itching for an upgrade, but not sure if now is the time to get a 1080/1080ti if a refresh is around the corner.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nvidia confirmed that it won't be out this year. Looking like next spring possibly?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Sipher posted:

Anybody heard anything about the rumored Pascal refresh? My 970 is struggling at 1440p and I'm itching for an upgrade, but not sure if now is the time to get a 1080/1080ti if a refresh is around the corner.

I dont think there is supposed to be a refresh rather than just Volta which as mentioned was all but confirmed for next year not this year a few days ago by the CEO

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Enos Cabell posted:

Nvidia confirmed that it won't be out this year. Looking like next spring possibly?

Back in April Hynix basically confirmed this by saying they would have GDDR6 available in q1 2018 and it will be used by a major gpu manufacturer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol the $499 price on Vega 64 was unannounced 'introductory pricing', and AMD is gonna jack the MSRP up to $599. Also force people to buy bundles. Do not buy this card for $599.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Gonkish posted:

That said, Vega 56 might be useful for someone like me who wants a 144Hz ultrawide with some form of variable refresh, but doesn't want to blow $1000 on it.

Why does it have to be ultrawide? There are plenty of 1080p 144hz freesync monitors out there. Vega seems like a good fit for one of those. I wonder how many games you could get up near 144 fps on a Vega 56 if you disabled MSAA.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Cygni posted:

lol the $499 price on Vega 64 was unannounced 'introductory pricing', and AMD is gonna jack the MSRP up to $599. Also force people to buy bundles. Do not buy this card for $599.

The pricing hierarchy on this thing is a blatant reality of how piss poor yields and margins are on the product. I've been saying for six months in this thread that there is literally no way AMD can do vega at $499 and still hit any decent shareholder target for margins. They're going to cashgrab as much as possible on early adopters and nvidia will force the market down and tank AMD over holiday.

If nvidia drops the 1080 to $449 and the 1070 to $349 and pushes the 1060 to $249 it's going to be a loving nightmare for AMD to react to this in any meaningful way without looking at 25-27% margins.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Why does it have to be ultrawide? There are plenty of 1080p 144hz freesync monitors out there. Vega seems like a good fit for one of those. I wonder how many games you could get up near 144 fps on a Vega 56 if you disabled MSAA.

Also, slightly OT but has anyone figured out why Vega is losing 20-30% of it's performance in any situation with AA that isn't shader based?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nerdrum posted:

If nvidia drops the 1080 to $449 and the 1070 to $349 and pushes the 1060 to $249 it's going to be a loving nightmare for AMD to react to this in any meaningful way without looking at 25-27% margins.

Isn't this what they cost a year ago?! I picked up a really early (right at launch) 6GB 1060 for $170 from Jet, which was stacking some promos but it couldn't have been more than $240 full MSRP right at launch. I know that 1070s were under $400 for a good long while.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yep, MSRP on the 1070 is $349 while the 1080 is $499. Pure demand is what is keeping the price high nowadays.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nerdrum posted:

Also, slightly OT but has anyone figured out why Vega is losing 20-30% of it's performance in any situation with AA that isn't shader based?

It's deliberate. AMD is seeking to boost comedy/inch

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I don't think nvidia needs to cut prices at all. They can coast on pascal for the time being.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Adams posted:

Because 144hz Ultrawides don't have good cheap alternatives, and it only gets even more stupid when you add gsync on top of it?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't this what they cost a year ago?! I picked up a really early (right at launch) 6GB 1060 for $170 from Jet, which was stacking some promos but it couldn't have been more than $240 full MSRP right at launch. I know that 1070s were under $400 for a good long while.

Not a year ago but basically yes. Up until May you could buy a brand new AIB 1080 for $420. If the butt demand dies down it could fall back to that on its own.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdT1NxCN-4

tl;dw vega 56 has the exact same PCB and cooler as vega FE

3peat
May 6, 2010

B-Mac posted:

I don't think nvidia needs to cut prices at all. They can coast on pascal for the time being.

Nvidia has a huge legion of fanbois who would only buy their cards even if they were twice as expensive, why would they cut prices

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
AMD doesn't want another 970 situation, if they were bios unlocked I bet they'd be like within 5% of Vega 64. I kind of don't know why they wouldn't want that situation though, it's not like people are going to rush to buy Vega 64. It seems like when they're in 2nd place they'd want to do anything to win over users, and offering a card that basically could perform like a 1080 for 400 dollars would be compelling, those extra 100 dollars saved would go a long way to helping you ignore the power use.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I dont know why I glossed over the price increase thing but ... if true... that is almost unbelievable. AMD has been loving around and playing reviewer games for a while now but this is a whole new level. This information was not made public before all the initial reviews were allowed to publish making them all inaccurate. I'm sure there will be a rush to update them but thats just so low.

Again - if true. I think AMD deserves any bad rep they bring on themselves for the past 2-3 years but I really dont want this to be true.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

3peat posted:

Nvidia has a huge legion of fanbois who would only buy their cards even if they were twice as expensive, why would they cut prices

I'm not a fanboi but I'd probably still pay double for the Nvidia cards if I had to, just so I don't melt the polar ice caps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like after the 480 launch, AMD wouldn't try "introductory pricing" again. They generated hype for the 480 by taking pre-orders at an unsustainable price (especially since the 4GB cards were just soft-locked with 8GB) and restocked were not at that price again because they basically asked partners to bite a bullet and give them a headline.

I can't see Asus, MSI etc taking that shot in the foot again. It makes no financial sense for them to give early adopters a price break, only for AMD. And it wasn't even a good deal for AMD because the 470, which was an alright middle-tier card I enjoyed owning, got bad reviews immortalized for being priced too closely to the mythical "introductory" 480s at it's launch.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 15, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Comedy option: AMD raises price on Vega 64 and nVidia responds by raising prices

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

3peat posted:

It's not being a fanboy to buy a high end GPU from NVidia when AMD literally doesn't have one.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

1gnoirents posted:

I dont know why I glossed over the price increase thing but ... if true... that is almost unbelievable. AMD has been loving around and playing reviewer games for a while now but this is a whole new level. This information was not made public before all the initial reviews were allowed to publish making them all inaccurate. I'm sure there will be a rush to update them but thats just so low.

Again - if true. I think AMD deserves any bad rep they bring on themselves for the past 2-3 years but I really dont want this to be true.

I mean, according to retailers this is the company line from AMD and so far AMD refuses to say anything themselves so I can only assume that from this point forward the only way to buy reference cards is as part of the packs. I guess the new price will be whatever board partners can price at to turn a profit, so really who knows what prices will look like? I could see them charging $580-$650 just because many would rather get a card with a decent cooler instead of a blower card in a pack. Maybe Vega 56 for $430-$500?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So apparently AMD hasn't enabled primitive shaders in the drivers, which is why Vega is behaving as it is w/r/t to being bottlenecked. Hence the very weird MSAA hit, the much reduced memory utilization, disastrously low texel rate, etc. Vega XT is not going to magically compete with a 1080ti, but I think were going to see another Hawaii to Grenada performance improvement because it seriously looks like drivers are not fully utilizing Vega. Doesn't excuse the ridiculous power draw and I don't think that'll ever get fixed without moving to a new process.

White Paper on Vega - http://radeon.com/_downloads/vega-whitepaper-11.6.17.pdf.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

3peat posted:

I mean yes indeed why would they (or any company in this situation) but, at the same time, they just did exactly that despite having no competition. It was one that everybody agreed with but still, they dropped the 1070 and 1080 MSRP seemingly "just because" and upgraded 1060 and 1080 ram speeds without even changing the model. Before the supply was crushed by buttmining you could buy good 1070's for $330 new and good 1080's for $420-$450 new (the starting msrp previous to this was $600). And the weirdest part of this was a response to the 1080ti pricing being lower than anticipated, effectively competing with themselves.

And many people dont seem to realize this but practically the entire 900 series lineup was a price drop nearly across the board minus the Titan and probably lower end models, but the 970 was a $70 drop over the 770 despite wiping the floor with it and forced AMD to shift their 290 pricing dramatically because of this. Also the 980ti was priced better than the 780ti, and they definitely had no market reason to do so.

I'm not trying to say Nvidia isnt going to take advantage of AMD's fairly poor showing here but evil old Nvidia has been the relative saint compared to for-the-gamersssss AMD and there is no reason any longer to poo poo on Nvidias fanboys if you dont include AMD's fanboys in the same breath. One of those two groups have to jump through significantly more mental hoops to stick to the side theyre on.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I saw this posted someplace else but it seems appropriate for the Vega release.

Vega - Late but Rushed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FaustianQ posted:

So apparently AMD hasn't enabled primitive shaders in the drivers, which is why Vega is behaving as it is w/r/t to being bottlenecked. Hence the very weird MSAA hit, the much reduced memory utilization, disastrously low texel rate, etc. Vega XT is not going to magically compete with a 1080ti, but I think were going to see another Hawaii to Grenada performance improvement because it seriously looks like drivers are not fully utilizing Vega.[/url]

It got delayed over a year and they've had preproduction silicon running for at least 5 months . If this was fixable by drivers, they would have fixed it. I wouldnt be looking for any miracles at all of any kind. Its much more likely that it is what it is.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

It got delayed over a year and they've had preproduction silicon running for at least 5 months . If this was fixable by drivers, they would have fixed it. I wouldnt be looking for any miracles at all of any kind. Its much more likely that it is what it is.

You seem to have more confidence in the AMD software team than I do actually.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^ After experiencing a similar sense of initial disappointment/buyers remorse with the Fury, only to have them actually fix the microstutter and boost perf substantially in some cases, I'm willing to take the Leap Of Faith again. Wasn't one of the bigger issues HBM yield?

Come, partake in the Fine Wine™! Ah but first we must let it decant :smug:

It seems like the 64 Liquid is specifically priced so that it takes more than a year to pay for itself with mining (if you assume ETH stays flat). Highest ETH hash rate I've seen anyone post so far is 44MH/s. I will be surprised if they get past 48. Haven't seen anyone mess with undervolting yet. Nobody will say it outright, but many come across as eager to imply that there's a lot more on the table/AMD left the potential there on purpose in an attempt to deter the initial miner rush :tinfoil:. Haven't seen anything that gives weight for/against that sentiment yet, though. People seem to be correlating "discounted launch price/it will cost more later" to mean that the performance increases we have yet to see will justify the increased prices.

As "bad" of a deal as $699 seems to bargain shoppers, as someone who made out like an absolute loving bandit having paid $650 for a Tri-X Fury OC in 2014 and using that to mine ETH, I'm just upset I can't even buy one at that price if I wanted to. I won't say there's no loving way we'll see another 200,000% bump in ETH value over the next 2 years, but even if it appreciates moderately, the miners still come out well ahead, undiscovered potential or no.
I liked the idea of the bundles, but they should have done a lottery or given preference/the potential to preorder to those who have already purchased Ryzen processors/motherboards. It seems like all they've really managed to do is give a bunch of people new freesync displays for free as they resell just the card for the price of the whole bundle on eBay. People are loving snapping them up too :gonk: I was ready to deal with having to buy monitors I didn't necessarily need/want.

Even with free money I can't justify paying $1100-1350 for just one card. Knowing that should be two cards bothers me entirely too much. It's also insulting that the only things still in stock at MSRP are the largest bundles with the air cooled cards.

Lol that a 1200W PSU isn't enough to handle 2x Vega 64 w/ a 1950X (assuming they all hit max load simultaneously), and also that you're unwilling to attempt to try and squeak within ~10% of what the PSU is rated for. It's generally "okay" to reach a bit past on modern PSUs, yeah?

Edit: Definitely did not just check every shop listed on each of Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI, etc to make sure everything was actually out of stock. A few less popular stores allow you to pre-order one for when the next batch comes in, I didn't bother with that, but I did call the warehouse number and all 3 I spoke with seem to think more are coming tomorrow?

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
The Vega 56, assuming it does indeed retail for $400 for an extended period of time, looks like it might be a half decent 1070 competitor. The problem right now is that it's a paper launch, and I haven't even seen a listing for the thing here in the UK, never mind pricing. Vega 64, on the other hand, is totally DoA.