Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I assume the accusations of pedarasty towards Milk aren't valid? A small amount of Googling seemed to only find crazy right wing sites discussing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The government has no place regulating infrastructure. The free market will take care of it. :smug:

Somewhere in the world a shadowy cabal of boatmakers is rubbing their hands in anticipation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People think that Matt Walsh is just a misogynistic creep pretending to be a cool millenial in order to package his outdated women hating views with a more modern package but if you actually pay attention to his writing you'll find he's been a massive racist for the longest time as well.

My favorite is when he claimed some kid that got killed by the police had it coming because he took a photo of himself in a backwards baseball hat, had tattoos, with a gun when Matt Walsh has done all those things and posted the pictures on the internet (his hat is properly forward as God intended so it's ok). He's one of the conservative writers I hate the most since he's racist, misogynistic, homophobic trash but likes to really wrap himself in his religion and family in order to shield himself from criticism. He's also so cool with his tats and drinks craft beers so he's not like those old guys he's hip and with it (with literally the same beliefs).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 15, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theflyingorc posted:

I assume the accusations of pedarasty towards Milk aren't valid? A small amount of Googling seemed to only find crazy right wing sites discussing it.

I'm sure it's no more complex than "all gay men are pedophile rapists"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

If Matt Walsh says something, you're pretty safe in assuming it's not true.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

I would assume not

In any event though there's a pretty easy way to distinguish the removal of confederate statues from the removal of any other statues of historically questionable people - for example, washington or jefferson.

It goes to, why does this person get a statue? We don't celebrate Jefferson for owning slaves. We don't celebrate Washington for owning slaves. But every single confederate memorial is celebrating someone for fighting for slavery. They're not being knocked down because the person depicted was a bad person. They're being knocked down because they are honoring a bad thing.

You can argue, of course, we shouldn't commemorate Washington or Jefferson either - but that debate is separate from why we shouldn't honor the confederacy.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Matt Walsh pro confederacy and Nazis????

Noooooo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

aware of dog posted:

If Matt Walsh says something, you're pretty safe in assuming it's not true.

I mean - my guess was just that in the 70s people cared a lot less about age of consent, like how it's basically public knowledge that rock stars of the era were sleeping with 14-16 year old girls absolutely all the time. I'm pretty confident Milk wouldn't have become an icon if he was having sex with 10 year olds, but 17 seems possible for the culture at the time.

edit: IF it were true. Which it sounds like it isn't.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know mentioning VICE is triggering people - but the most important thing in the full segment last night was that it exposed all of these chucklefucks as Eichmanns and Himmlers. They aren't leaders - they're nothing but overzealous footsoldiers willing to do the bidding of an Alpha father figure who constantly reassures them that they're special and everything they're doing is good, right, and in the defense of 'their kind.' Even the nut job with the guns said he was waiting for someone 'more racist than Trump.'

None of these fuckers are trailblazers. The only thing they can blaze is tiki torches. They're waiting for their Hitler - and trust me, he or she is out there right now, taking notes, and waiting for the ideal time to yoke this blind devotion that these assholes are pledging. That's what Charlotteville was for them - an 'audition' to a future "American Führer." "Blood and Soil" is their "we're here, we're queer."

Every effort needs to be made to discourage them at every turn - because America's Hitler *is* out there. Racism is now a product in America, a commodity to be exploited for profit, and whenever there is a demand, someone will try to corner the market.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 15, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

He was an outspoken gay man killed by a bigot at a time when being openly gay was legitimately dangerous and the people who are saying this want to kill all gay people. What do you think?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

theflyingorc posted:

There's no evidence of it, but they make the accusation anyway because there's a societal perception of gay men in the 60s and 70s being sexual predators recruiting young teenage boys into their beds.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

the black husserl posted:

Are ya'll getting tired of Trump's racism and tacit support for white supremacy being responsible for the deaths of Americans? Well don't worry, his stunning malevolence and incompetence are about to get a turn!

https://twitter.com/zcolman/status/...genumber%3D5844

Criminally stupid. Rotting bridges and flooded power plants. gently caress.

Now this is brazen... the only reasonable "climate change denial" standpoint is build on the basis that the sea level is rising, it's just got nothing to do with humanity.

This idiot is making policy on the belief that the sea level isn't rising at all.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's also like being a pedophile is a common slander against gay and transgender people, and also Matt Walsh is garbage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chilichimp posted:

This idiot is making policy on the belief that the sea level isn't rising at all.

Alternately we need a version of that "But her emails" flood sign with "But he was uppity"

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Trump then added, "Hail Hydra!"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

RuanGacho posted:

Matt Walsh pro confederacy and Nazis????

Noooooo

Different Matt Walsh. Not the guy from Upright Citizens Brigade.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

God, I knew those statues came way after the war but I didn't really think about how long 60 years really is. It really is like a statue of hitler going up in germany in 2005 or something.

This was actually discussed on the PBS Newshour yesterday. Outside of the ones put up to counter civil rights victories, many were being put up as the generation of Civil War vets were dying off.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

I'm assuming if there is any truth to it, he preferred younger men. They're just combining that with typical "gays are all pedophiles" bullshit the right-wing is famous for propagating.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/897479657418784768

this is making me rethink my pro-punching nazis stance

He's talking about antifa, right?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Chilichimp posted:

Not *at all*, no...

https://twitter.com/MrDanZak/status/897493521896177666

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Xombie posted:

Don't be so sure...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

theflyingorc posted:

Wikipedia mentions a romantic relationship with a 16 year old boy, taking

https://www.amazon.com/Mayor-Castro-Street-Stonewall-Editions/dp/0312019009

as the source

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/897469685934981120

full video in facebook link in tweet

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The fun? What fun?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, is there any sign the backlash is continuing? My main question for asking is that we live in a news cycle that only last so long before being replaced. I'm worried that we might be reaching the end of this particular cycle. My issue with that is this is so hosed up this shouldn't be a cycle. A woman loving died to Nazis and I'm afraid we're reaching that point where centrist and liberals try to pretend that everything's fine and they can not care anymore. That they did their part and they liked that thing on Facebook and racism is over and they can move on to their favorite TV show again.

Any sign that this is different?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Harvey Milk being a pedophile is only a (probably false) rumor.

Robert E. Lee commanding the entire Confederate Army isn't a rumor, it's right there on the goddamn statue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reik posted:

He's talking about antifa, right?

If they don't explicitly say "I condemn white supremacists and Nazism", then it's weasel words.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Xombie posted:

Oh thank god. I love UCB too much for that to be the case.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Matt Walsh sucks extra hard because the first time I heard about him made me wonder if the funny guy from Veep actually had terrible political views.

(Also because, y'know, lovely person.)

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Refuting gravity is going to be great for aviation

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 15, 2017

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Lord Hydronium posted:

Matt Walsh sucks extra hard because the first time I heard about him made me wonder if the funny guy from Veep actually had terrible political views.

(Also because, y'know, lovely person.)

Yeah, well you suck because the first thing that came to mind was him being in Veep. Come on, son!

az
Dec 2, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

The fun? What fun?

Being an internet edgelord, but in real life!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

So, is there any sign the backlash is continuing? My main question for asking is that we live in a news cycle that only last so long before being replaced. I'm worried that we might be reaching the end of this particular cycle. My issue with that is this is so hosed up this shouldn't be a cycle. A woman loving died to Nazis and I'm afraid we're reaching that point where centrist and liberals try to pretend that everything's fine and they can not care anymore. That they did their part and they liked that thing on Facebook and racism is over and they can move on to their favorite TV show again.

Any sign that this is different?

There have already been two events organized on my campus in deep south mississippi, one a confederate flag counterprotest and a vigil for the victims of the nazi car attack. The first was on about 10 hours notice and drew around 35 people, the second on 24 hours notice and there were around 100. We have several more events planned throughout the week and another confederate flag counterprotest on sunday. This is just anecdotal from my end, but you have to understand - this is the deepest, most redneck part of the south I'm in. We don't do poo poo like this in this town. There's been a confederate flag waving protest at the front of this university for 93 weeks in a row now, and this is the first time a counterprotest has happened. At least around here, people are really pissed and done with this poo poo. DSA has started organizing down here too. I really hope it does continue because if the nazi car attack at least turns out to be the spark that finally lit all the kindling for real, at least it wouldn't have been completely for nothing, I guess. For my part it feels really good to be organizing and being a part of something around here. Really heartening to see how many people came out to these events, I really didn't think it'd be so many.

And school starts tomorrow for this university, so students *just* moved into the dorms the last two days. We're hoping poo poo gets crazy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You'll be disappointed to learn that Confederate monuments were still being erected in 2005.
FTFY.

I mean, who knew that AZ fel so strongly about the confederacy in TYOOL 2017? :allears:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Chilichimp posted:

Now this is brazen... the only reasonable "climate change denial" standpoint is build on the basis that the sea level is rising, it's just got nothing to do with humanity.

Literally any bill that Obama had a hand in will be overturned. That's the best way to know which ones are going to get canned.

Trump still holds the grudge from Obama making fun of him, and is doing his best to make sure that there's no legacy from Obama left during his time in the WH.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/TarsTarkasnet/s...agenumber%3D585

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

that's from 2 years ago, apparently

at the SC capitol

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the source of the pedophilia claims is that milk apparently struck up a letter correspondence with a 16 yr old homosexual boy from minnesota and convinced him to run away from home and move to sanfran, and the boy did so. but there is no evidence that they ever even met in person, let alone had a relationship

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

empty whippet box posted:

There have already been two events organized on my campus in deep south mississippi, one a confederate flag counterprotest and a vigil for the victims of the nazi car attack. The first was on about 10 hours notice and drew around 35 people, the second on 24 hours notice and there were around 100. We have several more events planned throughout the week and another confederate flag counterprotest on sunday. This is just anecdotal from my end, but you have to understand - this is the deepest, most redneck part of the south I'm in. We don't do poo poo like this in this town. There's been a confederate flag waving protest at the front of this university for 93 weeks in a row now, and this is the first time a counterprotest has happened. At least around here, people are really pissed and done with this poo poo. DSA has started organizing down here too. I really hope it does continue because if the nazi car attack at least turns out to be the spark that finally lit all the kindling for real, at least it wouldn't have been completely for nothing, I guess. For my part it feels really good to be organizing and being a part of something around here. Really heartening to see how many people came out to these events, I really didn't think it'd be so many.

And school starts tomorrow for this university, so students *just* moved into the dorms the last two days. We're hoping poo poo gets crazy.

:) That is good.

Also, I just heard on MSNBC that the Paul manafort emails have revealed that the Trump campaign was being contacted by Russia on an almost weekly offers with offers to meet Putin or Putin agent. A lot of them were rejected by senior campaign officials, however, we know for a fact that those meetings did occur for upper-level members of the campaign. I do applaud MSNBC for pointing that out immediately while reporting the news: the read the statement about it being rejected and immediately pointed out it wasn't true verbally in the same sentence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

He dated younger men throughout his life and did have a sexual relationship with a 16 year old. It's on his Wikipedia page.

It sounds creepy, but it wasn't like gay men could live out in the open. All gay relationships were considered deviant, so what's the difference if you're borderline age of consent.

Also don't look up the sex lives for any actors or musicians you like from that time period. Age of consent problems and even rape were scary common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm sure it's no more complex than "all gay men are pedophile rapists"

This is so embedded in certain people that I remember being asked, repeatedly, as the mod of a feminist forum, "Yeah, well how would you feel if your children or nephews were taught in kindergarten by a gay man?" and every single time they were legitimately shocked when everyone was like "Fine??" That's how profound the lack of understanding or thought is.

• Locked thread