Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Who cares a bout indexes rn, VIX up 44% for the DAY

SNAP $12 AH, best wishes to all that shorted it
NVDA $153 AH, free falling after e:enormous top and bottom beat,
AMD $12 AH, taking a hit due to NVDA :iiam:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was down 3.9% today.

Kill. Me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I was down 3.9% today.

Kill. Me.

Were you investing during the 2007-9 bear market?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

Were you investing during the 2007-9 bear market?
2/27/07 market close

I probably had worse days in 2008-09 but I stopped taking screenshots because it was too depressing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I was down 3.9% today.

Kill. Me.

But this has been such a calm, forgiving market! You had to expect some kind of day like this, no?

What do you do if there's a correction? We haven't seen one in what feels like a long, long time...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
lol snap gapped down

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
VIX back down, indexes up, buy everything

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

lol snap gapped down
It was down yesterday after hours on bad earnings.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

It was down yesterday after hours on bad earnings.

https://twitter.com/AndySwan/status/895750140975296517

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

They will make it up on volume.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

just lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Billion dollar company.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wouldn't it be amazing if Snap just ran out of money and collapsed? It's been too long. What does it mean to go public in the era of passive index funds when you aren't allowed in any index?

I would also do anything to be a fly on the wall in the break room at Snap where everyone is discussing their lockup expirations, how much those shares are worth, how much they used to be worth, how much the investors shares were worth, etc. Like anything.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Google had informal rules against monitoring your stock value. It was along the line of if you're caught you have to buy the department a pizza (or something equally silly, I don't remember).

If was a pretty amusing section in In the Plex.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
All the more reason I should never work at Google.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Google having special informal rules about what is inappopriate for employees to browse is the most google loving thing imaginable

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Inspired by the CRISPR talk earlier in the thread I bought a small stake in EDIT at $16,89 and suddenly I'm 30% up. Thank you thread :D

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Pryor on Fire posted:

Google having special informal rules about what is inappopriate for employees to browse is the most google loving thing imaginable

In fairness, it was during the weeks that followed the IPO

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do they mean google stock price or your portfolio?

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Bought the XIV dip last week with an avg price of $78. Good day.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Tried some quick googling but couldn't find an exact answer.

I currently have 3500 stock options with a price of $1.28 I was told by someone that when I exercise those option into stock that I had to pay the taxes on the gains made since my grant. So for example they are valued at $10 i'd have to pay taxes on that 8.72 gain. Additionally this company is NOT public.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sterster posted:

I currently have 3500 stock options with a price of $1.28 I was told by someone that when I exercise those option into stock that I had to pay the taxes on the gains made since my grant. So for example they are valued at $10 i'd have to pay taxes on that 8.72 gain. Additionally this company is NOT public.
I am not an accountant but you generally pay taxes on capital gains profits, whether that's from stocks, options, or gambling, so that sounds right.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sterster posted:

Are you exercising the options or selling them? Is that the price of the stock or the price of the option? I can't tell from your post but it seems like you were given these options as part of a compensation package or something.

Check this out:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/07/esoabout.asp

quote:

The Internal Revenue Code also has a set of rules that an owner must obey to avoid paying hefty taxes on his or her contracts. The taxation of stock option contracts depends on the type of option owned.

For non-qualified stock options (NSO):

The grant is not a taxable event.
Taxation begins at the time of exercise. The bargain element of a non-qualified stock option is considered "compensation" and is taxed at ordinary income tax rates. For example, if an employee is granted 100 shares of Stock A at an exercise price of $25, the market value of the stock at the time of exercise is $50. The bargain element on the contract is ($50 - $25) x 100=$2,500. Note that we are assuming that these shares are 100% vested.
The sale of the security triggers another taxable event: If the employee decides to sell the shares immediately (or less than a year from exercise), the transaction will be reported as a short-term capital gain (or loss) and will be subject to tax at ordinary income tax rates. If the employee decides to sell the shares a year after the exercise, the sale will be reported as a long-term capital gain (or loss) and the tax will be reduced.

Incentive stock options (ISO) receive special tax treatment:

The grant is not a taxable transaction.
No taxable events are reported at exercise; however, the bargain element of an incentive stock option may trigger alternative minimum tax (AMT).
The first taxable event occurs at the sale. If the shares are sold immediately after they are exercised, the bargain element is treated as ordinary income.
The gain on the contract will be treated as a long-term capital gain if the following rule is honored: the stocks have to be held for 12 months after exercise and should not be sold until two years after the grant date. For example, suppose that Stock A is granted on January 1, 2007 (100% vested). The executive exercises the options on June 1, 2008. Should he or she wish to report the gain on the contract as a long-term capital gain, the stock cannot be sold before June 1, 2009.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Josh Lyman posted:

I am not an accountant but you generally pay taxes on capital gains profits, whether that's from stocks, options, or gambling, so that sounds right.

Now, for the Graduate level exam- define the difference between options and gambling.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

greasyhands posted:

Now, for the Graduate level exam- define the difference between options and gambling.
Gamblers drink beer.

Options traders do coke.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

greasyhands posted:

I get free drinks when I gamble

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

I get free drinks when I gamble

That's what brokers are for

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Are you exercising the options or selling them? Is that the price of the stock or the price of the option? I can't tell from your post but it seems like you were given these options as part of a compensation package or something.

Check this out:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/07/esoabout.asp

These are option that are provided by my company (granted Jan 10th 08) and I confirmed they are ISO. They are 100% vested and expire in January so I have to figure out what I'm doing with them. The option price is listed at $1.28. The private evaluation of the company last I heard was ~$20. So it looks like the exercise of the options into private stock will not cause taxation and not until I actually (if I ever can) sell them publicly will taxes come into play.

Side question. Why does a company's stock drop in price when their earnings report beat expectations even though it was .01 per share. Specifically talking about AXON. Just curious if there is an explanation for as I'm new to this type of gambling.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 15, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Sometimes the market goes up, sometimes down, or sideways.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sterster posted:

Side question. Why does a company's stock drop in price when their earnings report beat expectations even though it was .01 per share. Specifically talking about AXON. Just curious if there is an explanation for as I'm new to this type of gambling.
"Expectations" usually means either the company guidance, or analyst ratings. Neither of these necessarily represent market sentiment. A drop after an earnings beat may mean the market was expecting (or hoping, or gambling on) a bigger beat.

There may also be something in the report. For example, a company could beat on its report, but give guidance for the next quarter that is worse than the market was expecting. Or there could be other news not related to earnings; for example, during the earnings call, a ceo could mention that a particular product the market was anticipating, will be delayed, or is not yet ready to be released, etc.

It may also be the stock moving with its sector or the broader market, rather than a move specific to its earnings report. This is especially true of any stock that is part of an index, or included in one or more mutual funds or ETFs; the market could be selling off an ETF that includes this stock, with its particular performance not being strong enough to prevent the overall move. But even absent that, if this is (say) a biotech, and biotech is down today, the stock may move down from sellofs by investors who don't care (or maybe don't even know) it just beat earnings. They are looking at a bigger picture.

With thinly-traded stocks, it could also just be a single institutional investor deciding to close an unexciting position in favor of something else, or to free cash for something else.

In the end, the important lesson is this: when a stock moves, everyone invents a story about why. The analysts, the news, the insiders, whoever: they are all inventing reasons that seem to make sense. But you cannot look into the minds of the buyers and sellers themselves, all of them, all at once, to discover the true reasons for their actions... so you can never really know why a stock moves. You just cannot know that with true certainty. All you can do is make rational guesses based on what some people are saying, or what seems to make sense. In some cases your guesses are pretty solid... a company reports disastrous earnings and their stock tanks, you can be pretty sure the stock is tanking due to the disastrous earnings report. But all too often, it's just handwaving, chart-squinting, and just-so stories... and most professional analysts, news organizations, etc. are not willing to admit that quite so bluntly.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 15, 2017

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
The market price of anything is always going to be a function of how much someone else is willing to pay for it. It sounds stupidly simple, but it is a concept that is too often missed when dealing with the prices of stocks and securities.

We constantly argue about whether stocks like TSLA or SNAP are worthless, overpriced, or otherwise ridiculously valued due to various types of analysis. However the only analysis that really matters is "are people willing to pay a certain price for this security" and that is an extremely fickle thing to judge. Instead we use fundamental, technical or other analysis methods as a proxy to what a rational investor would do based upon certain quantitative metrics. However as we know, investors aren't always rational and we end up with such arguments on the internet.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Leperflesh posted:

In the end, the important lesson is this: when a stock moves, everyone invents a story about why. The analysts, the news, the insiders, whoever: they are all inventing reasons that seem to make sense.
I was about to try and figure out why CTL is taking a dump today considering their yield but I think the reason is pretty much this ^

:shrug:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My RCL is on fire. As long as Americans remain fat and gluttonous, I expect this trend to continue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For the first time in what feels like ages, RDFN finally has a decent up day.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I remain bored out of my mind. Had some nice trades in an obscure bank preferred (!) 2-3 weeks ago, but apart from that I don't see anything obvious to do. Pretty much standing pat right now.

Might take a look at some MLPs that were beaten down lately, but ehhh...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We were all long GBTC the last 6 months right?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

No but now I want to trade bitcoin.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Solice Kirsk posted:

drat, huge gains. And probably the safest bitcoin investment possible.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna touch the poop and buy some GBTC tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cool, time to sell then. :v: