Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

idk seems like the news app would be better suited to news stories? why check stocks a dozen times a day with no intention to act on the price changes?

the news app doesn't gather financial news and sorts them by stock, and isn't particularly useful for breaking company news.

I check stocks because I have companies in which I have a lot of money invested or am interested in investing. I like to be aware of their news and reporting cycle and how they perform relative to news and the rest of the market. there are rare cases where I spot a special circumstance and go into my brokerage account to do a trade, but that only happens a few times a year. my trading is not that time sensitive.

*cue investment advice from the pos experts*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

so are they scrapping touch id, the best security on a mobile device, for faceid? or will it be like those early patents suggested where it'll be able to read your fingerprint anywhere on the screen

i'm going to be super disappointed if they got rid of touch id

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The Management posted:

i have a diversified portfolio of ETFs and powerball tickets

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

my dude have you heard of bitcoin?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wheany posted:

my dude have you heard of bitcoin?

naw etherium (or eth) is the next Big Thing.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if you're looking for hot stock tips, ive been seeing some major sales bumps in beige pants, golf shirts, and tiki torches recently

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

maskenfreiheit posted:

i have a diversified portfolio of ETFs and powerball tickets
i practice good risk management by spreading my investment across several different cryptocurrencies so my exposure is limited if one of them somehow loses value or collapses

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

windows cant encrypt my hard drive, or make logical volumes, or caching, or even backups. therefore theyre all bad

it feels weird to defend windows, but it does in fact have lvm and encryption and stuff out of the box

has done for many years

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

i practice good risk management by spreading my investment across several different cryptocurrencies so my exposure is limited if one of them somehow loses value or collapses

I obsessively check stock prices and news on the stock apple stocks apps so that I can quickly make trades and be the second to last person on the planet to react to such information

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it feels weird to defend windows, but it does in fact have lvm and encryption and stuff out of the box

has done for many years

not the home versions, because ms are cowards who are afraid of the us government

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
windows can absolutely encrypt your hard drive, you just need a free utility called cryptolocker

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

There Will Be Penalty posted:

i'm running sierra 10.12.6 and i don't remember having to turn it back on or are you talking about high sierra betas or some poo poo?

nah, it was a work machine so theres a chance they hosed it up while upgrading, but i thought i had an issue with it not being carried when it moved to accessibility on my home one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I obsessively check stock prices and news on the stock apple stocks apps so that I can quickly make trades and be the second to last person on the planet to react to such information

lol if your brokerage app doesn't have touchid so you can trade instantly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

has done for many years

wrong

pram
Jun 10, 2001
make an encrypted disk or a lv on windows 10 free edition for the disabled

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/897475525328949248

if this is true, someone is due for ritual public execution

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

lol if you invest in individual stocks beyond holding rsus that haven't vested yet

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ufarn posted:

so much for a thin smartphone, might as well just add that headphone jack back in timb

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ufarn posted:

cool, so not only will it bend with normal use, it will crack the back as well

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the main reason i like the force touch trackpad is that there isn't a hinge at top, it takes the same amount of force to make a click no matter where you do it. it's beautiful, and magical, and amazing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ufarn posted:

coughrage

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

idk seems like the news app would be better suited to news stories? why check stocks a dozen times a day with no intention to act on the price changes?

life isnt like the wall street movies. even for people who actively pick stocks (the minority) they hold their positions for months or years

the purpose of the stocks app is to ruin your mood whenever you pull down on the widgets thing and the top 5 are in the red

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ufarn posted:

why can't it just be thicker so they can stuff more battery in there. why tim.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

poty posted:

life isnt like the wall street movies. even for people who actively pick stocks (the minority) they hold their positions for months or years

the purpose of the stocks app is to ruin your mood whenever you pull down on the widgets thing and the top 5 are in the red

where's my bonzi buddy widget

i want to pull down my widgets thing just once and see a purple gorilla tell me some cool jokes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

lol if your brokerage app doesn't have touchid so you can trade instantly

robinhood not being available outside the us is a freaking crime

poty fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 15, 2017

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

do not trade individual stocks hth.

also the design of iPhones post Steve are too thin [pbuh] garbage that are impossible to hold so more thickness is good. naturally it's for a dumb reason like a glass back instead of more battery

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

if its thicker but doesn't have camera bump and has better battery then that's fine, imo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

poty posted:

yea that was my point, for what it does it's weird that it's included by default in ios. maybe somewhere along the line the code monkey finalizing ios misinterpreted its description as "a stock app" :rimshot:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if its thicker but doesn't have camera bump and has better battery then that's fine, imo

so you like the software, it's just the hardware you don't like?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the stocks app was for stage demo purposes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

so you like the software, it's just the hardware you don't like?

no ios is still trash but it would represent a reversal in apples design death spiral if they fixed some of the worst mistakes in the last few years

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Elder Postsman posted:

the main reason i like the force touch trackpad is that there isn't a hinge at top, it takes the same amount of force to make a click no matter where you do it. it's beautiful, and magical, and amazing.

only thing i hate is the upclick is too soft, and completely missing if you start dragging. ruins the illusion of physical buttons

Stymie posted:

cool, so not only will it bend with normal use, it will crack the back as well

users rejoice at revolutionary new iphone that lets you bend it over and cum in its crack

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shaggar posted:

the stocks app was for stage demo purposes

because its actually useful

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
when did apple get rid of the button that would drop you into like a machine language code interface? the button was always next to the hard reset button iirc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bump_fn posted:

when did apple get rid of the button that would drop you into like a machine language code interface? the button was always next to the hard reset button iirc

sometime during the ppc era, i think

macsbug was cool for recovering from crashes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Powaqoatse posted:

sometime during the ppc era, i think

macsbug was cool for recovering from crashes

ty i couldn't remember what this was called for the life of me

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol if you invest in human endeavours when we are all doomed to die