Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Walrus posted:

that blonde was cute and had a nice voice but man, country music. a country song called' wild wild west' is sung with all sincerity. what a trashfire of a genre.

http://i.imgur.com/Za5Ff5c.gifv

y'all can feel free to use that gif anytime kaworu posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The way the glove is apparently like skin to him and if you take it off he'd bleed is a bit like the eraserhead baby's wrappings

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

On what planet is that considered a country song? Just... what??

It was clearly in the vein of new country like some early taylor swift stuff. from the guardian review of the album ""My Wild West has a west-coast pop sheen to it, but touches of acoustic guitar and banjo suggest a country feel."

"pop with touches of acoustic guitar and banjo" is country music now btw.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Origami Dali posted:

On what planet is that considered a country song? Just... what??

The Walrus posted:

It was clearly in the vein of new country like some early taylor swift stuff. from the guardian review of the album ""My Wild West has a west-coast pop sheen to it, but touches of acoustic guitar and banjo suggest a country feel."

"pop with touches of acoustic guitar and banjo" is country music now btw.

My wife is really into country and I can state for a fact after hearing so much of it that any music that originates in the south or is sung by someone with a southern accent is country, no matter what it sounds like. It's pop music from the south. Think of 'drunk on a plane', why the gently caress is that country? (google it for a music video if you've never heard of it before, which I assume is the case)

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I was discussing Twin Peaks and other David Lynch's work with the girlfriend last night.
This weeks episode was a doozie, on par with the nuke episode.

This quote from Cole's dream has got me hosed up:
“We’re like the dreamer who dreams and lives inside the dream…but who is the dreamer?”

While talking she showed me this picture from "Mulholland Drive" that she had seen earlier:

Is this show about the struggles of characters within the psyche of David Lynch?
It's widely accepted that "Lost Highway" is a representation of his creative process and he's said that the three works are in the same universe.
But where do the nukes come in to play? What is the electricity and what do the rooms represent?

:psyduck:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:siren: SKYTV (uk) IS REPORTING THAT PART 15 is 70 mins LONG AAAAAAAAAAHH HE WE GO :siren:

they also have the image placeholder up for the streaming service. this looks new? https://images.metadata.sky.com/pd-image/c8f80c6f-40f7-4656-89b3-920124d94db0/16-9/500

get your hype ON.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DevCore posted:

Is this show about the struggles of characters within the psyche of David Lynch?
It's widely accepted that "Lost Highway" is a representation of his creative process and he's said that the three works are in the same universe.
But where do the nukes come in to play? What is the electricity and what do the rooms represent?

1. yes

2. ok

3. that's up to you

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

:siren: SKYTV (uk) IS REPORTING THAT PART 15 is 70 mins LONG AAAAAAAAAAHH HE WE GO :siren:

they also have the image placeholder up for the streaming service. this looks new? https://images.metadata.sky.com/pd-image/c8f80c6f-40f7-4656-89b3-920124d94db0/16-9/500

get your hype ON.

sick

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DevCore posted:

I was discussing Twin Peaks and other David Lynch's work with the girlfriend last night.

“We’re like the dreamer who dreams and lives inside the dream…but who is the dreamer?”

While talking she showed me this picture from "Mulholland Drive" that she had seen earlier:

you should check out this dudes twitter feed, spends all his time linking up the current seasons imagery with past lynch work and his art. really great stuff. https://twitter.com/ramontorrente

https://twitter.com/ramontorrente/status/897038438368772097

https://twitter.com/ramontorrente/status/891450970101690368

https://twitter.com/ramontorrente/status/893969256311910400

https://twitter.com/ramontorrente/status/884137800957906944

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
*goon watching my dinner with andre* what's with all these exposition dumps?!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

get your hype ON.

I think ~50k was the population on the original show, no? Seems like it's gotten bigger since then.

edit: yes, 50k was the population of the town on the first run. or what it was stated to be, anyway. It was intended to be 5k by lynch. who the gently caress knows what this all means. maybe that image means everything. maybe it means nothing. I love this show.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 15, 2017

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Vikar Jerome posted:

you should check out this dudes twitter feed, spends all his time linking up the current seasons imagery with past lynch work and his art. really great stuff.

Oh wow! Great stuff in here.
Looks like he also ties a lot of foreshadowing with future events.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

The Walrus posted:

I think ~50k was the population on the original show, no? Seems like it's gotten bigger since then.

edit: yes, 50k was the population of the town on the first run. or what it was stated to be, anyway. It was intended to be 5k by lynch. who the gently caress knows what this all means. maybe that image means everything. maybe it means nothing. I love this show.

The Access Guide to the Town book that came out back in the day stated that the town sign was missing a decimal point, and that the actual population was 5,120.1.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

.1 is the arm

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chime_on posted:

The Access Guide to the Town book that came out back in the day stated that the town sign was missing a decimal point, and that the actual population was 5,120.1.

haha this rules if it's not a joke, I hope it's not. Lynch and Frost did say the town's size was an executive decision and not one of theirs.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I haven't read the book in 25 years-- it vanished into my high school girlfriend's collection when we broke up. But that was definitely in there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The original population was 5,120 but the network wanted it to be bigger so L/F added a 1 to the end

That thing about the book rules though haha

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Walrus posted:

that blonde was cute and had a nice voice but man, country music. a country song called' wild wild west' is sung with all sincerity. what a trashfire of a genre.

lol what a piece of poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

The original population was 5,120 but the network wanted it to be bigger so L/F added a 1 to the end

That thing about the book rules though haha

I never thought it seemed plausible that Twin Peaks was a city of 50,000 people from what we saw of it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

lol what a piece of poo poo

modern pop country music is loving terrible, dude. most soulless, unoriginal genre there is. I mean, poo poo, the south likes it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Walrus posted:

modern pop country music is loving terrible, dude. most soulless, unoriginal genre there is. I mean, poo poo, the south likes it.

That song doesn't sound remotely like modern radio country.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

That song doesn't sound remotely like modern radio country.

I disagree, but why does that make me a piece of poo poo again?

edit: maybe I'm misremembering but it really reminded me of that romeo and juliet taylor swift song just with less fiddling

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 15, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We can't stop here, this is radio country

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I disagree, but why does that make me a piece of poo poo again?

I feel like dismissing both an entire genre of music and region of the country wholesale isn't a great look, personally

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

She sounds hell of a lot closer to Ellie Goulding or something than anything resembling Taylor Swift (who is good, for the record).

Anybody who lists their music preference as "anything but country and rap" is a boring piece of poo poo 100% of the time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The song was bad so I skipped it

an adult Swift fan getting defensive about it, without her being specifically mentioned? color me shocked

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I thought the song was nice.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah but what if phillip jeffries is a part time musician and performs just for coop.

quit reading my slashfic

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
yeah taylor swift is for little girls!

*posts about video games*

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

the best worst thread on these forums

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

If Lynch wanted Bowie to have a song it wouldn't be absurd for him to sing in the red room in a callback to Sycamore Trees. Actually Bowie just singing Sycamore Trees would be wild.

I'm still in the camp that it's unlikely we'll actually see Phillip Jeffries again, as a human at least

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

She sounds hell of a lot closer to Ellie Goulding or something than anything resembling Taylor Swift (who is good, for the record).

Anybody who lists their music preference as "anything but country and rap" is a boring piece of poo poo 100% of the time.

I listen to a lot of hiphop. It's a very varied genre. Country is not. At least in my experience. Lots of my family listens to country music. I don't like to dismiss an entire genre out of hand so I've asked them to pass on some good tunes. It's all the same poo poo. If you'd like to PM me some country tracks that don't have the exact same chord progression and do not mention any of the following: pickup trucks, cars, whiskey, a dog, beer, or 'country livin', I will be happy to check them out.

And gently caress you.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

General Dog posted:

I feel like dismissing both an entire genre of music and region of the country wholesale isn't a great look, personally

General Dog posted:

Yep.

I liked the song.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynch, and that one Bright Eyes album are good country music.

David Bowie in the lodge/waiting room singing the sycamore trees song would cement this as the greatest thing to ever happen on tv

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

General Dog posted:

Especially since they're lying liars. Watch them run when you throw on the Diana Damrau Die Zauberflote (which features the best Der holle rache you'll ever hear btw).

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

i start every tinder conversation with a lengthy writeup of my favorite harsh noise cassettes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vikar Jerome posted:

gently caress. Yes. :flashfap:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

DevCore posted:

Interestingly, that quote is taken from the Aitareya Upanishad and Lynch opened with it at some of his film premieres - I think this is mentioned in the bonus disc for Inland Empire

And of course Lynch also applies this much more literally by casting himself as Cole. (As a side note, the Aitareya Upanishad was first translated into English by a man named Colebrooke, though that's probably just a coincidence)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
His Monica Belucci dream was hilarious cause it was like seeing the creator on screen screaming "HERE LOOK I LEFT THIS IMPORTANT CLUE WAY BACK THERE SEE IT" and it almost almost literally this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I am fairly certain it has nothing to do with Twin Peaks, but the line about being the dreamer within the dream reminds me of this.