Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sling TV added Chrome compatibility on all platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If they get DVR functionality working on Chrome I'm not sure I have any reason to continue subscribing to Hulu. (Speaking of which, is the Hulu PS4 app being a piece of poo poo lately for anyone else?)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Based on a few recommendations here, I watched the first two episodes of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency last night and liked them a lot. I read the book when I was in middle school, but didn't remember a single thing from it. Anyway, they were on BBC On Demand, but sadly, they were the ONLY two episodes available, and the show isn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime either. Shame. I would really like to finish the rest, but not enough to go out and buy the Blu-Ray.

It's on south american Netflix, for what it's worth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wait, you couldn't watch it on a browser before? What the heck?

I need to start looking at these again since PSVue is jacking up their pricing but I has just assumed that being able to use it on a pc was baseline.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

raditts posted:

I dunno, I think Rookie Blue probably gives it some good competition.

Is that still on? What's been happening in it?

Also, wasn't there a Canadian cop show that did an amazing single shot school shooting episode? Is that any good outside of that episode?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IRQ posted:

Wait, you couldn't watch it on a browser before? What the heck?

I need to start looking at these again since PSVue is jacking up their pricing but I has just assumed that being able to use it on a pc was baseline.

You could watch it on PC before, you just had to download a separate app instead of doing it in your browser.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ozark got renewed for a second season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ozark got renewed for a second season.

Awesome. I managed to make watching it last most of a week, but the week after we finished it, my roommate and I kept saying "I want to watch more Ozark!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

raditts posted:

I dunno, I think we've had enough shows / movies about how wacky and quirky Greek people are.

This Greek Canadian begs to differ :(

Nia Vardalos is obvs the only person who can clearly represent the Greek Canadian experience for me!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, wasn't there a Canadian cop show that did an amazing single shot school shooting episode? Is that any good outside of that episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhplhhnvPQs

19-2, and yes it's fantastic overall, although it's a very different type of show than the school shooting episode would indicate. It's a much slower burn "life of beat cops" kind of show rather than your standard murder of the week cop show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PriorMarcus posted:

Is that still on? What's been happening in it?

19-2. It's probably the best pure cop show I've seen since Homicide. It's in the last season right now and is still really drat great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

esperterra posted:

This Greek Canadian begs to differ :(

Nia Vardalos is obvs the only person who can clearly represent the Greek Canadian experience for me!

Don't most greeks hate her for being a total fraud?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Hasn't stopped Ned Holness or Daniel Whitney.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It completely stopped Mencia though? His career died in 2011.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Ah, what a pleasant thought. I forgot about him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

X-O posted:

19-2. It's probably the best pure cop show I've seen since Homicide. It's in the last season right now and is still really drat great.

Both this and the post before it sound exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll get on it as my next show to binge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

Aww man, I wish he had died in 2011 :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PriorMarcus posted:

Both this and the post before it sound exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll get on it as my next show to binge.

There are two versions, the original French Canadian version and the English version. The only one I can vouch for is the English one. I hear the first two seasons of each are very similar but the English one goes off in a different direction after that.

It deals mostly with the smaller parts of being a cop and way more extensively with the toll the job takes on them mentally. It does have some bigger storylines about dirty cops and mob stuff too, but the meat of the show is the strain the job puts on the officers. For instance the school shooting episode is pretty action packed but it's mainly to set up how the different officers deal with what they've gone through afterwords and that's a theme through the rest of that season.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 15, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

X-O posted:

There are two versions, the original French Canadian version and the English version. The only one I can vouch for is the English one. I hear the first two seasons of each are very similar but the English one goes off in a different direction after that.

It deals mostly with the smaller parts of being a cop and way more extensively with the toll the job takes on them mentally. It does have some bigger storylines about dirty cops and mob stuff too, but the meat of the show is the strain the job puts on the officers. For instance the school shooting episode is pretty action packed but it's mainly to set up how the different officers deal with what they've gone through afterwords and that's a theme through the rest of that season.

Yeah. This sounds perfect. It's kind of what I wanted from Southland but felt like that show could never quite deliver for some reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Haven't I been seeing him on a commercial for something or on netflix? Maybe it was someone else terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks jerks, I literally had not thought about Carlos Mencia in years and now I can't get his dumb loving voice out of my head

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

This was a show I pretty much expected to be on Netflix and am disappointed to find out it isn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how dare they make it slightly less convenient for you to consume

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You rarely even have to pirate things anymore, you can find just about any TV show on YouTube (in a tiny window to escape automated takedowns)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

It takes place in Montreal and we had 23 homicides in 2016.

Law and Order it ain't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That reminds me of the guy who posted in the iZombie thread that Seattle has like a dozen murders a year and how funny it was that a single season might cover every single murder in the city.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

I haven't seen all of it but what I saw of the original is impressive as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Since TOS is the only Star Trek I can stand (aside from the new remakes which I'm mostly ambivalent towards though I think Simon Pegg is good in them) I went to Netflix to see if there are any episodes I haven't ever seen (since I mostly watched it on late Sci Fi channel reruns) and apparently I missed a real corker: S1E21 "Court Martial". It's the least Star Trek-y episode of the TOS, it's entirely a courtroom drama and it... kind of is great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Courtroom drama is one of the like, 4 star trek plots.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

I honestly don't know, tbh. All I know is Big Fat Greek Wedding was scary accurate to my life growing up, and Connie and Carla is an A+ movie.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

Since TOS is the only Star Trek I can stand
Yo this is crazy talk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Courtroom drama is one of the like, 4 star trek plots.

Yup, and the other 3 are good too:

- Basically Q (seriously how does Trek lore accomodate all these alien "gods" in TOS?)
- Weird thing is killing everyone
- Time travel

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Holosuite baseball and James Bond adventures

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the show dark matter any good? The plot sounds interesting but I'm not sure of the quality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After watching the second episode I think I can clearly state that Get Shorty is a GOOD SHOW.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Is the show dark matter any good? The plot sounds interesting but I'm not sure of the quality.

Ehhh, it can be enjoyable and there are some fun episodes/characters but it mainly suffers from taking itself too seriously. The first season really hurts from having a crappy "main" character but then they rectify it in season 2 by unceremoniously killing him off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kingtheninja posted:

It's okay, occasionally great, but far from must-see TV. Worth a shot if you think it sounds interesting though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

If they get DVR functionality working on Chrome I'm not sure I have any reason to continue subscribing to Hulu. (Speaking of which, is the Hulu PS4 app being a piece of poo poo lately for anyone else?)

Didn't Hulu roll out their own TV service? Anyone used it? I've been thinking of giving it a try, since it's supposed to include regular Hulu in the price.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Just watch The Expanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when The Grand Tour came out, it was heralded as the 4K/UHD demo on Amazon... but I can only find it in 1080p for some reason.

I did a direct search for it and that's the only version that came up.

I also checked the specific 4K section and all the old stuff is in there plus a few new bits (including the Channing Tatum thing, even though it won't load in 4K) but no Grand Tour.

Amazon Video is the most pain in the rear end app ever. This is the LG TV version in case they're different. Can anyone else see it?

• Locked thread