Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
2500 bucks for wool rainbow vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it's some poo poo, death to America

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

myDad posted:

2500 bucks for wool rainbow vomit

not just anybody can make something that horrible, oh no, it takes an artist with a brand

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I bought one of those lego sets and it's missing a piece. I already sent a message but what're the odds I ever see the correct piece getting mailed to me?

Chances are better that they'd send you a replacement set and hope that the missing piece is not missing from all of the sets.

Druid Voltron
Sep 10, 2008
Are M:tG proxy cards considered illegal if I'm not selling them or using them in actual tournaments? I really just don't like subjecting my Vintage decks to the general basement table and all of the cheese dust and spilled drinks that accompany it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Druid Voltron posted:

Are M:tG proxy cards considered illegal if I'm not selling them or using them in actual tournaments?

Why would they be and who would ever know or care?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Blue Train posted:

Gucci is Italian or French, and the fakes are Chinese?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Gucci is Italian or French, and the fakes are Chinese?

Italy and France wouldn't exist if America hadnt bailed Europe out during dubya dubya two, maybe try cracking a history book friend

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Blue Train posted:

Italy and France wouldn't exist if America hadnt bailed Europe out during dubya dubya two, maybe try cracking a history book friend

America wouldn't exist if Christopher Columbus didn't invent it. QED it's Italys fault, and maybe Spains for fronting the cash.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fug

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Druid Voltron posted:

Are M:tG proxy cards considered illegal if I'm not selling them or using them in actual tournaments? I really just don't like subjecting my Vintage decks to the general basement table and all of the cheese dust and spilled drinks that accompany it.

I want to say it is sorta, but as long as you're not buying a huge bulk amount you should be fine. I bought a set of power/beta duals/revised duals/fetchlands a while back and they even threw in a set of unlimited duals... the color on those were godawful though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

not just anybody can make something that horrible, oh no, it takes an artist with a brand

The cheap knock-offs actually look better than the real thing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

King Vidiot posted:

The cheap knock-offs actually look better than the real thing.

To you, you pregnant b&t breeder.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't played magic since high school but what illegalities are you seriously concerned about? Like are the cops going to come in and seize 3 mana?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

flashy_mcflash posted:

I haven't played magic since high school but what illegalities are you seriously concerned about? Like are the cops going to come in and seize 3 mana?

Not if it's tapped. They have to wait till next turn.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
you don't want to play MTG with people who will care if your cards are legit

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I assume they check at some events (probably the ones with money prizes), since I have friends on Facebook who lend each other power sometimes, and I can't see why you would ask to borrow thousands of dollara worth of cardboard from your friends if you could just use proxies instead.

Also I'm pretty sure I read that some events allow you to chuck proxies into your deck, but you have to show that you own the real thing as well.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

HazCat posted:

I assume they check at some events (probably the ones with money prizes), since I have friends on Facebook who lend each other power sometimes, and I can't see why you would ask to borrow thousands of dollara worth of cardboard from your friends if you could just use proxies instead.

Also I'm pretty sure I read that some events allow you to chuck proxies into your deck, but you have to show that you own the real thing as well.

Not allowed at sanctioned events and such but they tend to allow around 10 or so from what I recall at the few Vintage (the format where you can run all the stupid broken OP stuff from the early days) tournaments that card shops sometimes put on. Stupid uncommon for there to be a Vintage tournament though. Bit of a Legacy (Basically Vintage but minus a lot of stupid broken things) scene around here though but even that is really stupid expensive considering some of the main things you need to be competitive are like $150-$400 a pop and there are $1000 cards that see play in it.

I actually saw somebody get popped for having fake Cavern of Souls' in there deck at the competition level tournament I went to when the Judges deck checked the whole top 8. (These judges obviously never got to really do any judge stuff so they were stupid overzealous.) Had one hovering over me and others the whole time. I think they had like 8 judges roaming about for a 60 person tournament. Like I've been to quite a few competition level events with the same numbers of people and sure the judges would wander about looking at games while waiting to get called for a ruling but they never hovered over a single player like that till it was down to like 2 or so games left going and time of the round was about to get called.

But yeah me and my buddies are cool with proxies for like Commander and play-testing purposes.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Where do I place my order?! :dong:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Blue Train posted:

Why would I pay $4000+ for this

when I can have TRUE ART for <$20

or if you really wan to show you have some cash

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mr-...2792605107.html

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Druid Voltron posted:

do you mean according to the actual law (yes, that's why their only available on shady alibaba stores) or according to the rules of the game (also yes, but if you're just playing casually all that matters is whether your opponent knows or cares)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Druid Voltron posted:

Legally, a proxy of a real card is considered a counterfeit, and is illegal to produce/sell. Whether the cops care is another matter - unless you wasted $5K on a fake Black Lotus, nothing is likely to happen. Usually if WotC catches someone making/selling proxies they send a C&D letter, but have occasionally sued folks.

If a store holds a DCI-sanctioned event and allows proxies, or sells proxies, WotC will take away their DCI status, so the store can't run official tournaments anymore and potentially lose their contract to distribute product. If a player uses proxies in a DCI-sanctioned event, or sells proxies to other players, the player can be disqualified from the event or even banned from events outright.

No one gives a poo poo if you buy proxies for playtesting or kitchen table games with your friends.

:goonsay:

god i haven't played in years how do i remember this

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dienes posted:

No one gives a poo poo if you buy proxies for playtesting or kitchen table games with your friends.

We're talking about mtg players here, some will give a poo poo even for kitchen table games.

Don't play magic with those people

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If I wanted to dick around with Magic with the kids, then the knockoffs seem like a better idea, is this right?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sorry no the cops will raid your house when they catch wind of it

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Dragonstoned posted:

or if you really wan to show you have some cash

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mr-...2792605107.html

gently caress this is the one that got me finally. Good rear end birthday present

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Remulak posted:

If I wanted to dick around with Magic with the kids, then the knockoffs seem like a better idea, is this right?

Don't subject your kids to MtG. Just start flushing their heads in the toilet and cut out the middleman.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Remulak posted:

No, the only cards worth counterfeiting are hilariously broken and unfun.

Buy a bulk batch of super cheap commons and uncommons off eBay instead. The more variety the better, because Magic is a deckbuilder, so learning to cobble a deck out of a pool is like 50% of the fun.

Alternatively, make friends with someone who drafts regularly and they will probably literally give you a giant pile of commons/uncommons for free.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

heeheex2 posted:

gently caress this is the one that got me finally. Good rear end birthday present

If you have an rear end birthday, you're a piece of poo poo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kinda diggin this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...2730590774.html

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Thanks Aliexpress.

Because of today's freebies i now have to convince my wife to let me buy this for our bathroom.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

HazCat posted:

No, the only cards worth counterfeiting are hilariously broken and unfun.

Buy a bulk batch of super cheap commons and uncommons off eBay instead. The more variety the better, because Magic is a deckbuilder, so learning to cobble a deck out of a pool is like 50% of the fun.

Alternatively, make friends with someone who drafts regularly and they will probably literally give you a giant pile of commons/uncommons for free.

Lies, lies I say! It's called having the answers to that silly crap and most of the answers are cheap price wise. Nothing quite like an opponent playing an Doomsday into Laboratory Maniac and then going to draw with no cards in their deck and you Lightning Bolt the Labman and make them lose instead of win. But both of those are fairly cheap things but a simple counterspell of some type will normally suffice against most things aside from storm spells, that poo poo indeed broken but most of it's cheap price wise as well but if you can counter the trigger for it copying the spells you're going to have a little bit more of a chance but not much.

I play this poo poo waaaay to much though.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I lost my Leatherman and need a replacement. Anything to point to for a multitool?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All tools on Ali are garbage. 100%. Just buy another Leatherman.

I currently have the pro discount and pay only $62 plus shipping for a Surge direct from Leatherman. If you can get approved for military/LE/EMS/Fire discount, I'd do that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

It stinks!

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
that's not a very subtle way of sneaking steroids past customs

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Oh man, I missed threads like this after the big GBS-cleanout.

Anyway, dx/banggood/aliexpress has been my go-to place for electronic components for years now, and it's fun to see what other people are buying. Right now I've got a selection of surface mount components from AX coming in, and "DIY" version of a component tester + pocket oscilloscope from BG. Also one of those endoscopes with a USB/microUSB/USB-C connector.

The biggest downside so far has been the long delivery times. It usually takes a month for anything to arrive to Finland, and for some reason my local post office loves sending me a note saying that the package has arrived, and can be picked up.. tomorrow. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I would like to know more about this.

I've fancied a cheap oscilloscope for checking the quality of output of USB power supplies and signals in cars - would this do the job?