Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree, I wouldn't put anything there. It'll make you claustrophobic even if it doesn't seem like it should. I'd center the table. You can hire an electrician to move the light, or you can swag it yourself pretty cheaply and easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

serious answer: some low shelves at perfect sitting height, filled with picture books and photo albums
you could also make them hinge-top deep storage for less used things like fancy christmas napkin rings and emergency candles.

hailthefish posted:

If you search for sideboards and/or buffet tables you should be able to find something, though if the outlet being blocked would be a dealbreaker, that makes it a little harder.
My preference would be something with storage, since this house has a ridiculous dearth of it given its size. This is surprisingly hard given the oddball height and I've looked through a ton of buffets/sideboards/credenzas/consoles/etc., etc., etc. Lots of stuff at 30" and it drops off under there. (It doesn't help that some places seem to use ANY dimension under 30" even when I specify height -- if they have that option at all!)

I think I need to ask better questions and give better feedback since people obviously can't, you know, read my mind.

Most of the tables I've seen have minimal storage, similar to this guy here, at best. I'd be okay with a mainly ornamental piece provided it was actually a decent piece of furniture (okay, the last one might be a bit out of price range there), but the height seems to exclude the nice applicable pieces. So I'm wondering if maybe something like a low media cabinet / television stand might actually work here -- something like this, for example -- or if it would be too bulky for the spot, and I should just give up and get a cheap set of shelves for my cats to knock poo poo off of.

vonnegutt posted:

Why not leave it as is, but move the rug and table to center them in the current floor space? The walking paths would be better and nobody would be crammed up against the sideboard when they sat on that side of the table.

Anne Whateley posted:

I agree, I wouldn't put anything there. It'll make you claustrophobic even if it doesn't seem like it should. I'd center the table. You can hire an electrician to move the light, or you can swag it yourself pretty cheaply and easily.
Or this, which I've considered too. The reason I've written it off so far is that while centering the table on the side windows would be nice, right now we have 32" of clearance from the chairback to the china cabinet and it feels like plenty, and moving the table the approximately 13" to the right of the photo seems like somewhat of a waste of space. (There's 57" of clearance from the chairback to the ledge, for reference.)

But maybe you guys are right and I'm just trying to fill some space when I could just let the room breathe, so to speak.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'd probably throw a little plant there. Nothing that extends past the boundary of the wall.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Find something you like the look of at 30" then get to it with the hacksaw.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:confused: : "I just can't decide what we should do with our kitchen backsplash. Laminate to match the counter tops? Stone? Tile? What?"
:haw: : "I know! Let's go down to Lowe's/Home Depot and get some vinyl stick-down floor tile!"
:woop: : "I love it! Honey, you're brilliant!"

:suicide:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
FRAR should just gently caress right off

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

FRAR should just gently caress right off

Actually, FRAR is a real estate listing service in my area. I stole those images from a property listing that's currently on the market.

Bonus image: the bathroom from that same property.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For when you need to candy crush a monster poo poo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:confused: : "I just can't decide what we should do with our kitchen backsplash. Laminate to match the counter tops? Stone? Tile? What?"
:haw: : "I know! Let's go down to Lowe's/Home Depot and get some vinyl stick-down floor tile!"
:woop: : "I love it! Honey, you're brilliant!"

:suicide:

For when you want your kitchen to look like a 90's bank lobby.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Why did they use two kinds of tiling that don't even match, with each other or with anything else in the room?? WHY. :dawkins101:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
im so over that mosaic tile

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

Why did they use two kinds of tiling that don't even match, with each other or with anything else in the room?? WHY. :dawkins101:

My guess is, the vinyl stick-down floor tile (I'm positive that's what it is) was there first, just not behind the stove for whatever reason, Then when the owner decided to sell, they started updating by putting the mosaic tile behind the stove with the plan of doing the whole kitchen backsplash. Somewhere along the way they realized they were never gonna get the vinyl tile off the other walls without taking the drywall with it, said "gently caress it," and listed the place as-is.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why are there mirrors stuck on there as well?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Why are there mirrors stuck on there as well?

Counter sex

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Actually, FRAR is a real estate listing service in my area. I stole those images from a property listing that's currently on the market.

Bonus image: the bathroom from that same property.

I think I made that bathroom in the Sims once.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I should just give up and get a cheap set of shelves for my cats to knock poo poo off of.

You have cats? How about going whimsical with a ridiculously fancy cat tree? :v: Cat tree won't block the outlet, plus your cats can sit on it to look out the window.

That doesn't give you extra storage though. I dunno, maybe put a tall skinny set of shelves or drawers right in the corner there?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Thanks everyone for the input! I was a little concerned that wood floors plus (primarily) wood furniture plus wood sliding doors would be a bit of an overdose.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Omerta posted:

Thanks everyone for the input! I was a little concerned that wood floors plus (primarily) wood furniture plus wood sliding doors would be a bit of an overdose.

Place looks cool, man. Warehouse apartment building?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wood... is good! I'm personally glad we have a variety of wood tones/types/colors instead of matching everything closely.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Place looks cool, man. Warehouse apartment building?

Thanks, dude. It's a condo building built in 04 in a now-rapidly gentrifying area of Atlanta. 8 stories but only 32 units. Something like 27 of the 32 owners are the original buyers, which speaks to the quality of the building.

We got in pretty cheap because the previous owners were smokers and made a bunch of unbelievably half-assed "improvements." Cleaning the HVAC ducts and washing everything with diluted vinegar got rid of the smoke residue, and we planned to heavily renovate basically whatever we bought, so we'll gradually fix the remaining issues.

Very stoked that my wife had zero interest in a 4/4 in the burbs.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Found a new must-have feature for my dream home's master bathroom

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

This thread is super germane to my interests right now and the title is on point. I'll be posting here a little later on with my current project: great room fireplace full makeover, featuring a 14.5' long, 4" thick, 16" deep live edge walnut slab that I finally found a log for, it's getting cut out of the tree in the next few weeks and then will spend pretty much all summer in the kiln. :dance:

Here's a lil preview:

Rewinding to page 1 (in fact, the second post in the entire thread) to do a little crosspost here because I'm flipping out with excitement, because it's actually really happening:

Bad Munki posted:

I just wanted to share a picture of a piece of wood with everyone. It's my project, but I'm farming out a lot of the labor here because, well:

Walnut. It's like 16' long, over 16" wide, and 5" thick. Just came from the saw mill today, took six men to load it in the kiln. I'm going to cut the one side flat (probably the left side in that pic), knock the bark off on the other side, and it's going to be my new mantel in, poo poo, I dunno, like some time in 2018 I guess, I don't know how long it'll take to dry. Once it's dry we'll plane it down to 4" thick (actual). I'm pretty freakin' stoked, this is a very special-order item, to the point where it took several months just for my guy to come across some potentially suitable logs, at which point we actually went to the sawmill and looked at log piles and said, "This tree" and drew a center line and here we are.

That's a whole lot of walnut. :stare:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 17, 2017

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

cheese eats mouse posted:

im so over that mosaic tile

Fun fact my parents have that tile on the kitchen backsplash AND in their newly remodeled shower. I don't think it's even different colored.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

edit: this was meant for the crappy construction thread, whoops

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 18, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Guess the price of this 4,000+sf tacky house:

$189,000

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

Guess the price of this 4,000+sf tacky house:

This is my dream house when I was 8.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well. At least it has the benefit of being a mostly normal house that's mostly just decorated and furnished into a gaudy hell-house. Once all the stupid furniture is removed, a lot of the problems can be fixed with paint.

The loving dais in the cavernous master bedroom and the stupid garden tub (and its surround with stairs that take up more space than the tub itself) in the master bathroom would be harder to fix though.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is my dream house when I was 8.

Same.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Three ceiling fans and a garden fountain in the living room. I mean... you do you, man.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, my dream house NOW is a 1br apartment on the 2nd floor, so I could keep a couple patio chairs and a little table on the tiny balcony without worrying about them getting stolen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The current trend in ground floor 1-room apartments here is to have an enclosed sunroom with a laundry rack instead of a balcony with a laundry rack. I'm 90% sure it's about panty thieves :japan:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm looking at this ceiling and I'm thinking, "why?". If you've got a steel ridge purlin you're going to prop that on the gable walls and that should be holding the weight of the roof and preventing splay, so surely you don't need any collars at all, let alone four monstrous steel ones. What gives?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm looking at the price and size of it, comparing it to the price and size of my own house, and and wishing death to the boomer buy to let landlords who have ruined our economy.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Melicious posted:

Three ceiling fans MCs and one garden fountain DJ in the living room. I mean... you do you, man.

sounds good tbh

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Melicious posted:

Three ceiling fans turntables and a garden fountain microphone in the living room. I mean... you do you, man.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

learnincurve posted:

I'm looking at the price and size of it, comparing it to the price and size of my own house, and and wishing death to the boomer buy to let landlords who have ruined our economy.

Saaaaaaaame. That would be 4* the price where I am.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm the sad clown watching you spray diarrhea on the back of the toilet bowl in the second bathroom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Melicious posted:

Three ceiling fans and a garden fountain in the living room. I mean... you do you, man.

That almost seems like it would have the capacity to accidentally create weather.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm looking at this ceiling and I'm thinking, "why?". If you've got a steel ridge purlin you're going to prop that on the gable walls and that should be holding the weight of the roof and preventing splay, so surely you don't need any collars at all, let alone four monstrous steel ones. What gives?

I'm thinking those are wooden beams that they painted red.

Seriously, this house looks like an antiques bazaar threw up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'm thinking those are wooden beams that they painted red.

I think you might be right, which is even worse. Explains the light fittings mounted directly to them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

learnincurve posted:

Size maybe, but if you look at the exterior you'll quickly realize that it's a standard 1970s suburban house. Behind all that gaudy junk there is the outdated kitchen appliances, the popcorn ceiling, the old carpets, and the tiny lot. Plus the buyer has to pay more to restore the place back to some decency.

Also, outside of huge metropolitan areas and house prices in the US are indeed still relatively low. That house is in Baton Rouge - a decent size city, but not one young professionals flock to like Austin or Denver. You can find many similar houses (minus the antique store vomit) for less than $200k in many small to mid-size cities. Here in Richmond VA for example you can have a cute-rear end house on a 1/2 acre lot in a nice neighborhood within walking/biking distance from everything for $185k.

Anyway, earlier someone was asking what to do with their fireplace? Well, here's what NOT to do:

Yes, these folks put matching tile backsplash in their (working) double-sided fireplace.