Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

AweStriker posted:

I'd imagine they're written with Roman numerals but still pronounced as if it was in Japanese.

No, they're pronouncing it as english numbers (don't watch the anime, it's bad)

https://a.pomf.cat/ikcebx.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/guueqr.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For the curious, Walter is Strength, Luciola is the Lovers, Loewe was High Priestess and... uh, dammit, the green-haired suit wearing kid is The Fool.

And, as of promotional materials for CS3, Magician, Hermit, and the Star are taken as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Junpei posted:

For the curious, Walter is Strength, Luciola is the Lovers, Loewe was High Priestess and... uh, dammit, the green-haired suit wearing kid is The Fool.

And, as of promotional materials for CS3, Magician, Hermit, and the Star are taken as well.

Campanella.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Death and The Devil are taken by Joshua and Renne, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is my destiny to fight all the fights

I decided against Ries and Joshua for this one, because they'll have their time in the spotlight eventually.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 16, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

If that's what the copy version of Kilika can do, I can only imagine what the real Kilika can do when properly motivated.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It was also predictable that it would be Kilika for the final opponent. The nice touch is that it was just as predictable for the other characters. This fight wasn't too bad. After I took down the minotaurs, I had to move my troops together to use Sylpharion Wing, so I could keep up with her movement. I eventually cornered her and whittled her down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sylpharion Wing

To this day, through five playthroughs of Sky games, I don't think I've EVER cast this spell.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

To this day, through five playthroughs of Sky games, I don't think I've EVER cast this spell.

+2 MOV to everyone in a small radius. It's USUALLY one of the most useless things you can cast. I almost never use it myself. But for certain bosses who move out of range of your melee attackers a lot, or knock you a huge distance back, such as with Kurt and his clones, it has a niche use.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 16, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I guess I found that a Move 3 Quartz pushing my Mov stat into double digits was usually more than enough mobility.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I used it during Ragnard's boss fight in SC. Ended up having to use the single target version as the fight when on because my party got too spread out during the fight. Zodiac and the clock spells probably ate up a lot more EP though.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not pictured here, but Kilika also has the Zero Impact punch, the same move that Walter used against you. This and the animation of Duel Dragon Helix are hints you're meant to remember when you meet another Taito user in Cold Steel who also uses the first move and whose S-craft has a similar animation to Kilika's.

Those friggin seahorses nearly annihilated me the first time I tried Hard Arena. Your first impulse is to underestimate them because they're ordinary mook monsters you'd quickly squash during your dungeon treks. Then they swarm your team, refuse to die even after eating multiple S-crafts and make you scream like Nick Cage in that narmy Wicker Man movie.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I always wonder if the only reason why ouroborus is able to prosper is because they just wait out until the strongest people are at desk jobs. What exactly happens when kilika, bright, arios, and arseid take a month off and really concentrate on taking them down?

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017

Tae posted:

I always wonder if the only reason why ouroborus is able to prosper is because they just wait out until the strongest people are at desk jobs. What exactly happens when kilika, bright, arios, and arseid take a month off and really concentrate on taking them down?

There is a reason why they had to make sure Cassius was in a different country before starting the Gospel Plan.

Plus considering how pretty much everyone in a Trails game seems to be a workaholic, that will never happen ;) Maybe the bits of Ouroborus we don't see are part of the Keep Badasses Busy with Pointless Paperwork plan.

Less sillily they'd probably just send McBurn and Steel, who could probably take them.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I assume the whole Renne thing is just their Keep Badass Busy With Friendship Quests plan.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Another trial has begun.

I recommend Julia for the second, Julia and Kloe for the third, and Estelle and Joshua for the fourth.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Really Pants posted:

I recommend Julia for the second, Julia and Kloe for the third, and Estelle and Joshua for the fourth.

Sounds good to me

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
No idea of who to use for the first, Julia and Renne for the second, Julia and Kloe for the third. I'm going to disagree with your choices for the fourth because everyone gets unique dialogue and of them I think Renne and Ries have the best.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

1) Agate and Tita
2) Julia and Renne
3) Kloe and Schera
4) EVERYONE

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

At the same time.

edit: Anyway

1) Julia, Anelace
2) Julia, and whoever
3) Agate and Estelle
4) yeah Everyone at the same time. If we gotta, Estelle and Renne.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 16, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Holy crap, I just read all the dialogue. Renne has three doctorates?! She's 12!!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I got the Steam achievement for reading all the books before those "tough-looking" ones showed up on the library. By the way there's an achievement for reading Gilbert's book.

I took Agate and Tita to the first, and got no special dialogue. Not sure the first one has any. Any to the first
Renne and Julia to the second.
No opinion on the third.
Estelle and Joshua to the fourth. Because thematically it's the best fit, regardless of the unique dialogue.

Even before I beat the second monument, the pattern was clear. It's pretty obvious who we'll face in the third monument, where the third monument is, and who the guardian is.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

Go ahead, except add Renne to the second. She's got some unique dialogue for that one.

Some Numbers posted:

Holy crap, I just read all the dialogue. Renne has three doctorates?! She's 12!!

I LOL-ed when I first saw that scene, both at Estelle's :stonklol: and Renne's :smug: reactions. I feel a little bad for Estelle. She's no longer the airhead she was in FC's prologue and Joshua's chilled out a lot and isn't teasing her about her lack of genius deduction powers anymore only for #smugRenne to walk into her life and forever make her feel intellectually inadequate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And the thing is, even with Renne's three doctorate's Estelle's still right.

Only she'd be a student at the school of SUNSHINE AND LOLLIPOPS taught by one Estelle Bright with PH.D's in 'stopping being evil,' 'stopping being an emo' and 'carrying a big stick.'

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Does Renne even wear the newest streggas? How smart can she really be?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So if we meet someone who got copied into here, are they as strong as we think they are or as strong as they think they are?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Considering everyones reactions, I like to think they are as strong as they actually are.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Billzasilver posted:

Does Renne even wear the newest streggas? How smart can she really be?

QED, Renne.

Also the last line of the update made me lol.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I'll go with the crowd for the rest of them, but for the last fight, I'm going to agree with 4) EVERYONE.. Maybe not in the actual fight, but I'd like to see the alternate dialogue for everyone since I took Estelle and Joshua myself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tae posted:

they will never be able to line up their schedules thanks to the efforts of Enforcer No. XII, The Crimson Tape

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Really Pants posted:

they will never be able to line up their schedules thanks to the efforts of Enforcer No. XII, The Crimson Tape

Great numbering; people definitely want to hang themselves after dealing with that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 19, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I would have put Yin-Yang on Mueller. The physical attackers are the best place for utility quartz like that. If I need space I skip out on Art Defense on the tankier characters.
- Why slot Detection at all? I only ever pop that one in when I want to check the map, I'd never wear it all the time this late in the game.
- Beard the Lion In His Den is fantastic music.
- The chest-checking achievement is so generous with its definition of "most" chests that the one just south of the entrance to Leiston gave it to me. ... which you missed, apparently.
- Tita's smoke cannon can practically neutralize all the soldiers. You will definitely want your physical people warded vs. Blind.
- I could have sworn that Gensic barrier does not neutralize friendly arts. I will re-check. Gensic barrier also doesn't just block one hit like the other guards, it is a buff and there's nothing to do but wait for the timer to run out. This was a big pain versus Weissman in SC, because it completely neutralizes your casters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 19, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Gensic Barrier blocks all friendly arts. Except healing arts like Tear and La Tear. It totally blocks Earth Wall which I found out the hard way.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, Genesic Barrier blocks all non-healing arts, so you can still use La-Tearal and stuff but buffs and Earth Guard are rendered useless. Which can majorly bite you in the back in the end-game. :P

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Really Pants posted:

This fortress has an intimidating reputation ...and I, for one, look forward to seeing how much its defenses live up to it.

...he says, and then just walks in though the open front door. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I would have put Yin-Yang on Mueller. The physical attackers are the best place for utility quartz like that. If I need space I skip out on Art Defense on the tankier characters.
- Why slot Detection at all? I only ever pop that one in when I want to check the map, I'd never wear it all the time this late in the game.

I wanted those extra space & mirage points so Kevin could have Silver Thorn for the fight with Cid...and then I never used it. :downs:

The real dumb move on my part was putting Emerald Gems and Tiger Hearts on the same characters. Those gems had zero effect.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Everyone I know who played this always said Cid in SC was one of the harder fights and one of the easier ones this time around. But I found him easy in SC and hard as hell in TC simply because his backup tended to gang up on one character at a time for me.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Back in SC you had less options (and his arts, if he got one off, were harder to recover from), but his backup went down very quickly and two of his flunkies were military officers (rather than grunts) who hit slightly harder but who didn't pelt you with status effects. Also, you were guaranteed to have 4 people with impede crafts in your party, so avoiding getting blown up with high-level arts was easier. In this one, his backup can take a truckload of punishment (unless you petrify them) and pelts you with status effects left and right. Of course, it's still possible to place Anelace in the middle of the grid, have her draw the grunts in with Whirlwind Dance and aim a Silver Thorn at her location to instantly create a large-scale mutiny.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

• Locked thread