Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't need tank stance when shirk exists.

In single tank content, I'm in tank stance for my first three combos, which is probably longer than better tanks.

yea with shirk one combo in tank stance is okay, even better if you can get a shield swipe off in tank stance in that time. But the fact we need shirk to stay ahead is also dumb. I'd rather they make threat like wow and just give me more to do or make some harder mechanics. Cause if shirk didn't exist you'd have to be worrying about threat along with everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You can also drop back into tank stance for a hate combo if a DPS is crawling up the threat meter.

I usually do about two hate combos and then do Storm's Eye right before I enter into DPS stance for OOOOH BUDDY FELL CLEAVE TIME.

You're not going to get healing aggro unless you're bombing the whole team with Medica as soon as the tank runs into the group of mobs. Regen is a super small amount of threat in comparison.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

You can also drop back into tank stance for a hate combo if a DPS is crawling up the threat meter.

I usually do about two hate combos and then do Storm's Eye right before I enter into DPS stance for OOOOH BUDDY FELL CLEAVE TIME.

You're not going to get healing aggro unless you're bombing the whole team with Medica as soon as the tank runs into the group of mobs. Regen is a super small amount of threat in comparison.

I'd rather not drop back into tank stance, I like my numbers big! :smith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tanks and healers in this game care more about DPS than doing their actual roles.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I stay in Tank stance as DRK because i'm a scrub but I also need them huge Bloodspiller numbers. :black101:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vargatron posted:

Tanks and healers in this game care more about DPS than doing their actual roles.

Tanks properly DPSing is being a good tank.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Vargatron posted:

Of course, it's exceedingly rare that actual DPS players tend to care. :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

its in wow too, go sit in the druid discord for guardians and all they talk about is parsing and getting best in slot relics for thrash damage. Once you know you can live, focus on dps.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tanks properly DPSing is being a good tank.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I stay in Tank stance as DRK because i'm a scrub but I also need them huge Bloodspiller numbers. :black101:

Blood spiller is 20 potency stronger without grit, once you factor in grit's damage penalty.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Holyshoot posted:

its in wow too, go sit in the druid discord for guardians and all they talk about is parsing and getting best in slot relics for thrash damage. Once you know you can live, focus on dps.

Is catweaving even a thing still?

Don't get me wrong I still drop out of tank stance to do DPS when I know things are under control, but I'm focusing on staying alive if I'm doing new content and learning fights.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vargatron posted:

DPS'ing when you have no pressing need to threat combo or heal is doing your actual role.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Emalde posted:

Of course, it's exceedingly rare that actual DPS players tend to care. :v:

:yeah:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Is catweaving even a thing still?

Don't get me wrong I still drop out of tank stance to do DPS when I know things are under control, but I'm focusing on staying alive if I'm doing new content and learning fights.

the gains are minuscule.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Shy posted:

You mean Hildibrand? Because holy poo poo this must be the worst misspelling I've seen.

I did mean Hildibrand. I was writing a thing about Hildegard of Bingen last night and I guess I got my wires crossed.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I googled Hildegard after posting and she's very cool and now I'm ashamed about my complaining.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

So is Heavensward's story allegory for Japanese coming to terms with their imperialist past, or southerner Americans coming to terms with the history of slavery?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Holyshoot posted:

the gains are minuscule.

Between tank stance and dps stance? Not even close. Pure DPS PLD is between 700-1000 dps more than pure tank. It makes a huge difference.

Sadly i still beat dps on PLD with a lot of DF and PF groups regardless of stance :ohdear:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Having settled into Stormblood WAR, I can confirm that you barely need tank stance to keep threat post-pull. If you're lacking people in your 8-man to pad your aggro, you can do your opener as normal and swap in and out of your tank stance as your aggro combo comes up in your rotations.

I do this as WAR whenever I get to use Butcher's Block and don't have a NIN helper (or a co-tank Shirking me :argh:), and the only potential hang-up is from me being slow causing Storm's Eye to fall off for a single GCD (and the GCD in question ends up being another Storm's Eye anyway). Even out of tank stance, if I'm doing my rotations right I get to use Onslaught a few times, which I'm told somehow generates more aggro in Deliverance because of its poor potency. Even in Savage fights this is enough for me to keep aggro for the whole run unless someone is doing an absolutely disgusting amount of damage.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

comingafteryouall posted:

So is Heavensward's story allegory for Japanese coming to terms with their imperialist past, or southerner Americans coming to terms with the history of slavery?

Neither?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's a bunch of elves and dragons fighting and then not fighting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's the first one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's about dads and how big and strong they are

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
It's about the power of friendship, like every plot in the game.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Imagine a Haurchefant force ghost standing behind me as I posted that, nodding approvingly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For any non-savage content i hit one rage to start the fight in shield oath then switch to sword and never hit rage again unless DPS is insane while also not using any enmity reducers. If the DPS in a dungeon is just poor, i'll not even use shield oath to pull and just roll right into DPS because they can't rip hate if they're behind in DPS anyways.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Not Operator posted:

It's about the power of friendship, like every plot in the game.

It's all about post-war US and Japan becoming friends, got it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Between tank stance and dps stance? Not even close. Pure DPS PLD is between 700-1000 dps more than pure tank. It makes a huge difference.

Sadly i still beat dps on PLD with a lot of DF and PF groups regardless of stance :ohdear:

for cat weaving in wow

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shirk is very useful post tank swap but I'm too dumb to do the threat lead thing at the beginning of the fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vargatron posted:

Shirk is very useful post tank swap but I'm too dumb to do the threat lead thing at the beginning of the fight.

Shirk can be good for the OT in a no-swap fight as well. Basically the MT can pull in DPS stance and the OT cab just toss them extra aggro after around 4-5 GCDs and then on cooldown after. I have a nice little macro right next to the party bar that is just /ac "shirk" <2>

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It is long-form version of a classic Stongbad email.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's about the indian partition, op

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the ascians are nixon

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Stormblood has been out for a bit now, but I couldn't help but notice how something feels off in Far East section of the expansion, specifically Doma and Yanxia. However, before we talk about Yanxia and Doma, let's first look at the other areas of the Far East.

Kugane seemed like a obvious representation of a real world Japan. The architecture is Japanese, the fashion style is Japanese, the name of the NPC's are Japanese. The storyline behind the lvl 70 dungeon, Kugane Castle, would suggested that it had a similar method of governance as feudal Japan. It would be fairly safe to say that Kugane was Hydaelyn's Japan.

A similar argument could be made for the Azim Steppes and Mongolia. The landscape of the wide grassland is reminiscent of Mongolia. The people are nomads that live in yurts. Their tribes are differentiated via banners. The style of clothing looks like the Deel, the traditional dress of Mongolia, and there are npcs that plays the morin khuur. Most importantly, best bro, the initial ruler of the steppe was called the "khan". Once again, its fair to say that the Azim Steppe was Hydaelyn's Mongolia.

Now lets talk about Yanxia and Doma. First of all, Yanxia is the name of the region and Doma is the name of the city-state that rules over Yanxia. I think it's a fair argument to say that they would be of one nation/culture. The towering narrow peaks is one of the unique feature of the Tianzi mountains of China. The architectural style of the buildings are also uniquely Chinese. Most importantly, in Doma Castle, the multiple dragon motifs all had 5 claws. Contrast this with the 3 clawed dragon on the world map around Koshu. 5 clawed dragons were traditionally the sign of Imperial power in China, whereas Japan used three clawed dragons. From the physical objects, it would appear the Yanxia/Doma was Hydaelyn's China. However, the npcs had Japanese names, wore kimonos and their Lord Hien was a samurai. Furthermore, Doma was known as the origin of ninjas and samurais, uniquely Japanese things.

My question is then, what is SE trying to say to have obviously Japanese npcs ruling and living in an obviously Chinese region? I highly doubt this was something done by accident given how much detail SE had given to ensure the culture presentation of the Azim Steppe.

tl;dr Stormblood is a Japanese right-wing fantasy where Japan rules over China. /s

P.S. It'll be really interesting to see how the Chinese players react once this expansion finally drops in China. I'm thinking mass boycotting of SE products unless the localization group there retcons most of the Far East.
Edit: added a /s to the tl;dr, it was meant to be tongue in cheek but seems like people were taking it at face value.

(i'm mad that the guy edited this post after getting his reddit karma destroyed oh well)

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 15, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yanxia actually is the worst of the far east zones, basically because it can't figure out what its identity is

e: also, the new npcs introduced in that chapter are boring

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

yanxia actually is the worst of the far east zones, basically because it can't figure out what its identity is

I thought Yotsuyu was kind of interesting, but otherwise yeah the Yanxia characters are mostly pretty blah.

I know the earlier post about Yanxia feeling like Japan-dominated China wasn't entirely serious, but I am a bit curious how the real world Chinese (and Korean!) markets will react to Stormblood once the expansion reaches them. I'm guessing there will be some changes that go a bit beyond cosmetic.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Shirk can be good for the OT in a no-swap fight as well. Basically the MT can pull in DPS stance and the OT cab just toss them extra aggro after around 4-5 GCDs and then on cooldown after. I have a nice little macro right next to the party bar that is just /ac "shirk" <2>

do you run with a ninja?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i really like the scene in yanxia which is basically alexander nevesky rallying the people, except the "people" are like 10 generic npcs with pitchforks because the cutscene people were lazy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Holyshoot posted:

do you run with a ninja?

No. We're currently running PLD/WAR/AST/WHM/SAM/SMN/BRD/RDM.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No. We're currently running PLD/WAR/AST/WHM/SAM/SMN/BRD/RDM.

Bahamut should draw hate because it certainly works on party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

What, how could you forget redhead kid or old man??