Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

spectralent posted:

Anyone got a decent guide to running in the 90s HRE? I've actually never touched it and barely touched europe, but I'm closing on my Japan game (finally) and it's either that, Russia, or Nepal->Bharat and I've done similar things to those other ones before. HRE, I have basically no idea what that involves outside of "drown it in soldiers lategame".

If you conquer in the HRE, always vassalise then annex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
doing a quick bit of nepal i see what you guys mean about ming.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just completed a Mare Nostrum run with Byzantium.

I probably wouldn't have been able to pull it off without one amazingly lucky break: Halfway through the game, I inherited Spain--and they still held Naples and most of Iberia at the time. They also had the entire caribbean so I was able to clear that achievement too once I integrated them--without even having exploration myself.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Valiantman posted:

I know this probably gets asked a lot but last ten pages didn't have anything and the OP is outdated.

I have all the expansions up to Art Of War. I uninstalled this game around then so I've been off the loop for a while now. The newer expansions would be nearly 90 euros total, so I'm not going to go there, at least not right away. What would you recommend and why? I see lot of disappointment towards the Mandate of Heaven but I don't really plan on playing in the east a lot, except for colonization.

Get Common Sense and Rights of Man. Mare Nostrum, Third Rome and Cossacks lack in content and can be ignored, Mandate of Heaven has some nice quality of life features but some gamebreaking mechanics that will make you want to turn it off.

spectralent posted:

Anyone got a decent guide to running in the 90s HRE? I've actually never touched it and barely touched europe, but I'm closing on my Japan game (finally) and it's either that, Russia, or Nepal->Bharat and I've done similar things to those other ones before. HRE, I have basically no idea what that involves outside of "drown it in soldiers lategame".

If you're not familiar with Aggressive Expansion yet, you're going to get well acquainted. AE penalties are doubled in the HRE, and the emperor can demand you give land you conquer back, or face some serious penalties.

The emperor can pass reforms to ultimately unify the HRE into a single state, but don't worry about that, because the reformation will make it impossible for an AI to pull off.

About the emperorship itself, don't try to take it if you're weak. Being the emperor is gonna drag you into a ton of wars especially if you want to unify. From game start, only Austria and Bohemia are strong enough.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
new dev diary on the Persia region: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-15th-of-august-2017.1039695/&sdpDevPosts=0

seems really cool actually

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ooh, new trade goods.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

These Persia changes are awesome, that was always such a sadly boring region

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

These Persia changes are awesome, that was always such a sadly boring region
Agreed. And the new trade goods will hopefully help make southern and eastern Africa less bland with grain, slaves, and wool where cattle/livestock were a huge part of the lives and societies of the locals there.

edit: I think this is probably out of the scope of the game mechanics, but I think it would be neat if slaves were removed as a "trade good" and were instead a Casus Belli for African countries and the peace option (kinda like Humiliate Rival is right now where if you use that CB its the only real option you have for the peace deal). Slave Raid CB => Take slaves peace option, and then somehow the slaves would be sold for straight up cash (they were often traded for metal bars or trinkets if I remember correctly but the game would abstract this). Demand for slaves would go up the more provinces in the New World that produce cash crops.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 15, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I assume the inflation reduction from trading in gems is +0.05, not +5.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked the EU3 supply/demand system even though it could have been more transparent.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've literally been waiting for a Timurid Civil War mechanic since EU3. Thanks Trin. Thrin.

One of the most boring parts of the map just became possibly the most exciting, Persia and Arabia are going to be the new Indian Thunderdome. Kind of makes up for Ming turning SEA into a horrible quagmire where nothing happens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless of course the entire Timurid area turns into tributary hell. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Unless of course the entire Timurid area turns into tributary hell. :v:

That's not going to happen until at least the mid 16th century though by my guess.

Also just because it wasn't made explicit, the Timurids appear to no longer be a horde (a very good change) - presumably all of their former vassals and possibly the Qara and Aq Qoyunlu will also no longer be hordes, which is a great improvement for a lot of reasons.

It's pretty cool that there will be 3 formable tags (Persia, reformed Timurids, Mughals) all in the same region. Reformed Timurids sounds like it won't exactly be a tag formation but it will have a similar impact giving new NIs and perma claims.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Agreed. And the new trade goods will hopefully help make southern and eastern Africa less bland with grain, slaves, and wool where cattle/livestock were a huge part of the lives and societies of the locals there.

edit: I think this is probably out of the scope of the game mechanics, but I think it would be neat if slaves were removed as a "trade good" and were instead a Casus Belli for African countries and the peace option (kinda like Humiliate Rival is right now where if you use that CB its the only real option you have for the peace deal). Slave Raid CB => Take slaves peace option, and then somehow the slaves would be sold for straight up cash (they were often traded for metal bars or trinkets if I remember correctly but the game would abstract this). Demand for slaves would go up the more provinces in the New World that produce cash crops.

I've always felt like if they're going to have 'slaves' as a 'trade good', it should be represented in some way for colonial powers/nations in the New World.

Like have a 'Planters' estate that is linked to a bunch of slave related events, and you can either give the 'Planters' land like the nobles/church and get huge production bonuses but become dependent on slavery, or chart another course.

EDIT: Actually, I'd like to see an entire DLC focused entirely around playing as a Colonial Nation. I think there's a lot they could do to make them more fun/interesting to play as.

EDIT EDIT: It would be nice to be able to swap to playing a Colonial Nation as soon as it's formed in Iron Man too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

But we already have American Dream! Now if you don't mind I'm gonna go over here and play for ten minutes with my thirteen generals

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

skasion posted:

But we already have American Dream! Now if you don't mind I'm gonna go over here and play for ten minutes with my thirteen generals

Sorry what's that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of these fifteen events happening simultaneously.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Arrhythmia posted:

Sorry what's that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of these fifteen events happening simultaneously.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/American_Dream_events#More_Buns_for_the_People

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

This would be neat.
Maybe force the war to white peace after a certain time and give a reward/penalty based on warscore when it ends or something. Slave trade is such a big part of history so it's sad it is so abstracted, but it's a difficult subject to approach.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

someone explain this to me

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Arrhythmia posted:

someone explain this to me

People have been complaining about the buns they are buying. They want the all-inclusive bun, with spices, toppings and lovely flavor but for the same price as the regular bun without all the nice, tasty things.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
If I had to guess I'd say it's a joke about people being mad about Paradox's DLC policies

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Really liking these new trade goods.

EDIT: It's also nice that you'll actually be able to form Safavid Persia.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 15, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finally, with the ability to collect gems EU4 is a real video game.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Slaves as a trade good is actually a good representation of how things were in West Africa and partially in East Africa. And slave raids were definitely not formal wars.

What really lacks though is the impact the slave trade/raiding had on the areas affected by it. Most of the western European coast was sparsely populated into the 19th century due to (threat of) North African slave raids, Russian lands were commonly raided by steppes hordes looking to capture people for slavery, Bantu lands were probably held back from development by the constant slave raiding, etc etc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This is gonna be sick

Until December 11 1444 when everyone around you is a Ming tributary

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

Until December 11 1444 when everyone around you is a Ming tributary
Please stop ruining my headcanon :negative:

Nah it'll be fine you just need to conquer them good and fast :getin:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what happens if ming is fully annexed while still having the mandate. does it just disappear

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

IIRC yeah. And the nation that annexed them gets a bit of prestige and mp.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oddium posted:

what happens if ming is fully annexed while still having the mandate. does it just disappear

Yes. I think there's a special event for it happening.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

okay cool. it turns out manchu rules and i'm 100 provinces into the grain provinces for horseys achievement and i don't want to lose my horde

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

This happens.

You get all that stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Detheros posted:

This happens.

You get all that stuff.

The emperor of ming ended the emperor of ming. sounds right

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah it says that Ming gets all that stuff

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
So, I just picked up EU again after a long while. I hadn't played since before institutions. I'm playing Japan. I've united the island, I'm colonizing Philippines and exploring the Pacific. My tech costs are skyrocketing and I'm stuck on feudal institution. There's nothing to tell me how to move into the next institution. Improving provinces has a plus to Renaissance resource, but it doesn't make the institution bar move? There's nothing about it in the OP.

What happen? How I do the thing to make the mans think good?

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 17, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

MilkmanLuke posted:

So, I just picked up EU again after a long while. I hadn't played since before institutions. I'm playing Japan. I've united the island, I'm colonizing Philippines and exploring the Pacific. My tech costs are skyrocketing and I'm stuck on feudal institution. There's nothing to tell me how to move into the next institution. Improving provinces has a plus to Renaissance resource, but it doesn't make the institution bar move?

What happen? How I do the thing to make the mans think good?

Just develop a single province lot, it will eventually get to 100%. Then the institution will exist in that province, and so spread. Wait until you can adopt the institution, then repeat with another province.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Nosfereefer posted:

Just develop a single province lot, it will eventually get to 100%. Then the institution will exist in that province, and so spread. Wait until you can adopt the institution, then repeat with another province.

Much appreciated. The Mediocre Empire of the Rising Sun thanks you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it takes a couple thousand monarch points to seed an institution. what i usually do is seed it next to my largest province, that way when it spreads to that high dev province you've got two high dev provinces for cheap embracing

and then when you have to seed colonialism/printing press you repeat and have a cluster of high dev provinces that spread quick

e: province spread scales with dev size for reference

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MilkmanLuke posted:

Much appreciated. The Mediocre Empire of the Rising Sun thanks you.
Yeah the institutions go in order (from the top to the bottom in the province view); if you develop a province it adds to the top-most institution spreading there. Usually you will want to do one institution per province because the development cost skyrockets eventually. You will spend at least 2k MP to 'seed' and institution; once it is embraced in that province it will spread to others nearby. Once enough of your provinces have it, your country can embrace it. Embracing institutions costs money and spreads it to your whole country, which then causes it to spread to your neighbors. Each institution causes up to 50% tech cost penalty; by paying to have your country embrace it you remove that tech penalty. This penalty grows slowly, I think 1% a year until it hits that 50% cap.

edit: You can get Dev cost down with by making your merchant Estate happy (10%), a state edict (10%), Prosperity (I forget how much), University (20%) and completing the Economic Idea set (20%). You want to try to leverage as many of those bonuses as you can when you go drop MPs to develop to seed an institution because all the development has to go into one province.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 17, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's also important to know that you can make a good number of the Institutions start in your country if you fulfill the requirements. You can't guarantee it (far as I know) but you can improve your chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

On one hand the developing to seed institutions is a pretty good system but on the other you get things like when you're playing Ainu and your three starting provinces are all among the most developed in the world.

• Locked thread