Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That worked a lot better than the last Cooper-lite episode (episode 12, I think?).

With Naido appearing the physical world, that's a bit confusing, I thought the rules were that for a lodge inhabitant to influence the real world, they had to be possessing someone (Leland/BOB), be linked to them (Coop/MIKE) or physically swap places with them (Cooper/Evil Cooper)? Though the Woodsmen seem to have no issue popping out of portals and phyiscally attacking people, so who knows. Also Lucy trying to be friends with the lady from another dimension was cute.

The purple sea is a lot scarier than the Black Lodge. Even though the Black Lodge had crazy doppellgangers, at least it has nice chairs and jazz music and coffee, the Purple Sea is just harsh looking. Unless it's meant to be the White Lodge? Hopefully we'll get to see the man sized owl. They can't tease a man sized owl and not show it.

That song was cool and good and I just downloaded it.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vikar Jerome posted:

you should check out this dudes twitter feed, spends all his time linking up the current seasons imagery with past lynch work and his art. really great stuff.

This is really interesting but people also need to remember that Lynch is an obsessive artist so similar themes and images appearing and reappearing in his work is not a surprise nor is it necessarily a collection of "clues" or something to that end.

It's like arguing that any Dali painting with an ant on it is "of the same world" or a Brian De Palma film having a scene involving a mask ties that film together with his other films or whatever. It's just that artist being that artist.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

OldMemes posted:

With Naido appearing the physical world, that's a bit confusing, I thought the rules were that for a lodge inhabitant to influence the real world, they had to be possessing someone (Leland/BOB), be linked to them (Coop/MIKE) or physically swap places with them (Cooper/Evil Cooper)?
I think flipping the switch did something weird. I wonder if Cooper had been the one to flip it, would he have flown off into space and landed near Jack Rabbit's Palace?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OldMemes posted:

That worked a lot better than the last Cooper-lite episode (episode 12, I think?).

With Naido appearing the physical world, that's a bit confusing, I thought the rules were that for a lodge inhabitant to influence the real world, they had to be possessing someone (Leland/BOB), be linked to them (Coop/MIKE) or physically swap places with them (Cooper/Evil Cooper)? Though the Woodsmen seem to have no issue popping out of portals and phyiscally attacking people, so who knows. Also Lucy trying to be friends with the lady from another dimension was cute.

The purple sea is a lot scarier than the Black Lodge. Even though the Black Lodge had crazy doppellgangers, at least it has nice chairs and jazz music and coffee, the Purple Sea is just harah looking. Unless it's meant to be the White Lodge? Hopefully we'll get to see the man sized owl. They can't tease a man sized owl and not show it.

That song was cool and good and I just downloaded it.
Pretty sure by this point that purple sea tower land = White Lodge. We've only been told about two lodges, not two lodges and "oh yeah, some other neutral place." Big clue in this ep is the catalyst to enter: some whitish goop on the ground in a circular depression. To enter the Black Lodge, you have to use burnt motor oil near Glastonbury Grove.

Other interesting thought: didn't the man from another place say "where I'm from, there's music in the air and the birds sing a pretty, pretty song" or whatever? In ep 8, there was that music on the phonograph and as for the birdsong, could Naido's chittering sounds count?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
James was never cool. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_G1UP5rXg

Send this to your friends every time they tell you they're tired

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe the lady was someone else trapped in the lodge and her dopplerganger is also in the world. Not like Coop is probably the only dude who has wandered into the lodge and been duped like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

‘Twin Peaks’ Just Explained How Dougie Came Into This World

Well, uhh.............

:stare:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Wow that article sucks

Is Nadine a tulpa created by the original to tie Big Ed down while she runs off with Mike? That would certainly explain why she's so weird.

Is Jerry a tulpa created by his weed addled mind? That would certainly explain why he's so weird.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm not super convinced that the White Lodge and the Black Lodge are distinct, bordered places existing in an otherworld with specific characteristics a la heaven and hell, so much as those are categories of experience given by mostly ignorant humans based on a few dozen (in history) vague, misunderstood interactions.

The same for any individual Lodge entities being "good or evil", helpful or unhelpful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I mean, I was totally with it until they ran out of journalism and had to pad the article out with "but what if everyone else is a tulpa". The first part seems pretty plausible.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

This is a great argument against reading any articles about this show before it's over. Just a pile of garbage reasoning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

This is a great argument against reading any articles about this show before it's over. Just a pile of garbage reasoning.

Well, to be fair, so is like 90% of this thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's certainly an interesting theory for how the world of Twin Peaks works even if it's not accurate, but yeah, I think "this person's also a tulpa" is a pretty big stretch.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Tulpa story is primarily about how Evil Coop exists. It's not necessarily (although I guess could also be) about how Dougie exists.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, to be fair, so is like 90% of this thread.

Good thing no one's being paid to write comments here. That would be depressing.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Is the use of "tulpa" legit or is it one of those cases where a word/concept is misunderstood and appropriated by Westerners? I'm not sure I like it's usage in the show either way, it's a really specific reference where most of the spiritualism in the show has been open to interpretation.

I'm afraid it's like the Ancient Aliens poo poo, where whenever a wackadoo points to some "ancient text" they're actually quoting some writer's botched amateur translations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Murderist posted:

Is the use of "tulpa" legit or is it one of those cases where a word/concept is misunderstood and appropriated by Westerners? I'm not sure I like it's usage in the show either way, it's a really specific reference where most of the spiritualism in the show has been open to interpretation.

I'm afraid it's like the Ancient Aliens poo poo, where whenever a wackadoo points to some "ancient text" they're actually quoting some writer's botched amateur translations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

Seems like there are multiple different interpretations of it but they all basically reach the same conclusion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CJacobs posted:

The Greatest Northern

edit: haha she put out her cigarette outside, came inside, and then lit another cigarette

me irl

superstepa posted:

There is a theory floating around that the coop from the security footage in FWWM is actually booper. If you believe in that, then scene makes a bit more sense because it ends with Jeffries' "who do you think this is? line

Hasn't this always been the case? With FWWM being a sequel and prequel, I was always under the impression all Dale scenes were set after the season 2 finale. Though, since this season we learned Dale disappeared after leaving the town I suppose it's more likely that Jeffries was out of time and thought Cooper was Booper.

Polo-Rican posted:

A surprise posthumous Bowie performance would, without exaggeration, be one of the biggest events in the history of scripted television.

Like you, I think there's a 0.0001% chance of it happening. On the other hand, I bet they're saving a pretty special musical guest for the last episode and I'm super curious about who it could be!

I wish it would be Bowie (even if it makes sense), but I also want and expect it to be Julee Cruise.

Franchescanado posted:

Eddie Vedder.

Daily reminder ...

So, this show continues to be everything I want and more. Andy being pulled into the Fireman's house made me gasp-- hell, I gasped aloud like three times this episode-- and worry, but it makes so much sense of the four who went, the most innocent soul is the one tasked with some great duty. Andy is a baller.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Pretty sure by this point that purple sea tower land = White Lodge. We've only been told about two lodges, not two lodges and "oh yeah, some other neutral place." Big clue in this ep is the catalyst to enter: some whitish goop on the ground in a circular depression. To enter the Black Lodge, you have to use burnt motor oil near Glastonbury Grove.

It seems like there's more to the Black Lodge than just the red room (the room above the convience store seemed to be in there, as was the Woodsman scenes). The way Briggs describes the White Lodge seems very different to the purple sea.

I'm curious what Cooper was doing for 25 years, did he just sit there? He acts like he hasn't seen MIKE in a long time in the first part.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OldMemes posted:

It seems like there's more to the Black Lodge than just the red room (the room above the convience store seemed to be in there, as was the Woodsman scenes). The way Briggs describes the White Lodge seems very different to the purple sea.

I'm curious what Cooper was doing for 25 years, did he just sit there? He acts like he hasn't seen MIKE in a long time in the first part.
Apparently there's some real concept (unrelated to TP) called "the mauve zone" which Lynch/Frost might be basing some of the imagery of this location on. Frost loves tying some weird occult stuff into the TP mythos.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Chad is a surprisingly bad character for a show like this, imo he's only barely above what I would call legitimately poorly written. I like seeing him get his just desserts after being a dick for the whole show so far, but god drat he's so one-dimensional.

Feel the exact opposite, he's prob the most realistic and life like character Twin Peaks has ever had. We all know a Chad, and we all know he's the worst.

lol remember when he saw Hawk fiddling with the bathroom door, and mewled out of there promising to tell the chief about it.

What's weird is that he looks like a bizarre version of the love interest from Bridesmaid / IT Crowd.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

esperterra posted:

Hasn't this always been the case? With FWWM being a sequel and prequel, I was always under the impression all Dale scenes were set after the season 2 finale. Though, since this season we learned Dale disappeared after leaving the town I suppose it's more likely that Jeffries was out of time and thought Cooper was Booper.

Jeffries is experiencing time out of order, since he's confused by returning to linear time. That scene takes place at the same time as Chester and Sam's investigation, which is a few months before Cooper goes to Twin Peaks. A day after the Evil Cooper leaves the Black Lodge, he confronts Briggs, then leaves town, which is the last time Gordon sees him.

The experiencing time out of order happens a few times in the film - Cooper sends a message to Laura about the ring when he's stuck in the Lodge, but it arrives to her too early to understand it, same with her vision of Annie.

It's Jeffries appearing - Laura's murder (main part of FWWM) Cooper stuck/Evil Cooper leaves - a prologue that was cut from the film - 25 years - revival.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

The Return has been uneven, and i've been disinterested in some of the elements of it, but that was a great episode and i'm all aboard for the final hours.
Best part was hyperactive ninja window cleaner.

We're all agreed that that was a hobo spirit right? I could see his dirty beard in shadow.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

quote:

"The concept of tulpas has become a trend in pop culture, namely with the “My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic” Bronies. "

:suicide:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Shageletic posted:

We're all agreed that that was a hobo spirit right? I could see his dirty beard in shadow.

who is the dreamer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

^^^ lol

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't know what you mean, I thought "this is what we do in the fbi" was a triumph of naturalistic acting

That was Stan from Mad Men btw. And being unnatural and interesting on camera takes a lot of skill, you don't throw someone who doesn't know what they're doing up there.

The actress might be a nice person and a good musician, but she is not doing well on the show. Thanks to the gods the show is good enough for this not to matter much.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

At my urging my buddy is watching the show for the first time and just texted me "Catherine is Tojamora!?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

That song really needed more giant spider references

Got you covered: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...A1dxtc8RO_N4AaQ

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Shageletic posted:

^^^ lol

That was Stan from Mad Men btw. And being unnatural and interesting on camera takes a lot of skill, you don't throw someone who doesn't know what they're doing up there.

The actress might be a nice person and a good musician, but she is not doing well on the show. Thanks to the gods the show is good enough for this not to matter much.

I thought that was his voice but he wasn't wearing three polo shirts with the collars popped

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I've been watching Mad Men and Ray Wise just randomly showed up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not the last alum you'll see!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
At least Chrysta is hot. That should count for something.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It sounded like she was trying to do an accent in the last episode it was really jarring

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Maybe the lady was someone else trapped in the lodge and her dopplerganger is also in the world. Not like Coop is probably the only dude who has wandered into the lodge and been duped like that.

Pet theory: she's Joan Chen.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

OldMemes posted:

The purple sea is a lot scarier than the Black Lodge. Even though the Black Lodge had crazy doppellgangers, at least it has nice chairs and jazz music and coffee, the Purple Sea is just harsh looking. Unless it's meant to be the White Lodge? Hopefully we'll get to see the man sized owl. They can't tease a man sized owl and not show it.

I think part of the true danger of the Black Lodge is that it is very deceptive and seems to dull the senses.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Cooper could've been sitting the the lodge for just 10 minutes for all we know since time works so weird.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I don't think the flow of time within the lodge has any relationship to the flow of time in reality. Lodge messages get spat out all over the timeline.

e: see Briggs turning up after being missing for 25 years having apparently not aged a day.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 16, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

RBX posted:

Cooper could've been sitting the the lodge for just 10 minutes for all we know since time works so weird.

He could have been sitting there 5,000 years, for all we know. I love that aspect of the Red Room.

I read in some article that Twin Peaks is basically an entire show about The Aging Room in 2001, and I actually think that with The Return especially taken into context that is so so right on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shageletic posted:

Pet theory: she's Joan Chen.

I kinda think it's odd Josie hasn't been mentioned even once considering her bizarre fate, but I also don't really care because the Josie storylines were pretty bad.