Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

How did Ollie Wines only get a fine for leaving his feet to make a late bump to the head?

Because we're getting to that point of the season where the AFL doesn't want to suspend major players in finals bound teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So if someone kicks Greene in the head this week and say they were defending space then that's cool? Okay then, hopefully the Eagles know just how far they can take this then

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Testekill posted:

So if someone kicks Greene in the head this week and say they were defending space then that's cool? Okay then, hopefully the Eagles know just how far they can take this then

Time to redeem yourself in the eyes of the footballing public, Sam Mitchell

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The most confusing thing is that Greene was fined so clearly the AFL is saying that what he did wasn't in the rules. But clearly if it's only a fine then the AFL don't give a gently caress, If Dahlhaus was even an inch smaller or Greenes foot was an inch higher than Dahlhaus would have copped a stud in the eye.

Ollie Wines getting a $1000 fine is also confusing. So he gets let off because he didn't injure the Collingwood player but he left the ground and hit the Collingwood player in the head with an elbow. If there's a high bump without an injury and the AFL suspends them then the AFL bangs on about it being all about the action and not the result. But this bump in particular had an obvious jumping action and he hit him high. The AFL always says that if you choose to leave the ground in order to bump someone and you catch them in the head then you cop a suspension.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Testekill posted:

The most confusing thing is that Greene was fined so clearly the AFL is saying that what he did wasn't in the rules.

To me it looks like they're saying they wish what he did was in the rules because it was terrible optics, but it isn't, so they can't suspend him. The best they could do was fine him as a way of telling the public that it's not on, and that they'll be inserting a rule in the off season.

The misconduct category basically exists for the AFL to punish players who break rules the AFL forgot to make before the season started.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The AFL should appeal the case. In the Bachar Houli case it was graded by the appeals board as intentional because he intended to throw his arm back, they didn't need to establish he intended to injure.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFL should appeal the case. In the Bachar Houli case it was graded by the appeals board as intentional because he intended to throw his arm back, they didn't need to establish he intended to injure.

Wouldn't bother. The fact that it was a misconduct fine means that his multiple fines for striking and rough conduct are ignored so he doesn't get an automatic week off.

Yes it's just as ridiculous as it sounds

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I can see Greene getting a fine as teh ultimate in wishy-washy compromise, the truth is somewhere in the middle bullshit from the MRP.

They fine him, (so they acknowledge he did something wrong to placate the "hang him high" group), but because it's only a fine they can also be seen to be trying to placate the "you should be able to kick people in the face. It's not netball" crowd.

However, in practice what it does is neither. It infuriates both sides, and is neither punishment for the crime, nor validation that he did nothing wrong.

And if we are to stay in the practical world, Toby Greene is a fucktard with anger and violence issues, so he's going to do something like this again no matter what you do to him.

But I am more worried about the precedent set. Jumper Punch = suspension, Kick to the face = fine.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Also Wines escapes suspension. All seems a bit backwards at the minute.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Wouldn't bother. The fact that it was a misconduct fine means that his multiple fines for striking and rough conduct are ignored so he doesn't get an automatic week off.

Yes it's just as ridiculous as it sounds

I don't think the tribunal is bound to accepting the charge as laid and are free to re-examine on merits, I could be wrong though

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

Saints supporters are so bitter.

1971 was a long time ago, I think we are over it by now.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Watson
Hodge
Riewoldt
Bob Murphy
Gibson
Mitchell
Stevie J

That's one hell of a list of big name retirees this year .. throw in the possibilities of Morris, Kelly, McVeigh, Jack, Montagna, Petrie, maybe even people like GAJ and Sandilands aren't out of the question.

That would have to be the biggest possible list, or at least biggest in star power since ... 2007? (Hird, Buckley, Grant, Ruccito, Kouta, Darcy, Archer, Lappin, Whitnall, Licuria, Clement, Hamill, Camporeale, Chris Johnson, Pickett, Chris Scott, Wakelin, Montgomery etc.)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
One of Mackie and lonergan is done as well, book it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

"It wasn't something that really sat in the table or parameters," Bartel told RSN radio on Tuesday.

If only there was some process they had for referring a case to another body where they feel the MRP system doesn't lead to a satisfactory outcome.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

thepokey posted:

Watson
Hodge
Riewoldt
Bob Murphy
Gibson
Mitchell
Stevie J

That's one hell of a list of big name retirees this year .. throw in the possibilities of Morris, Kelly, McVeigh, Jack, Montagna, Petrie, maybe even people like GAJ and Sandilands aren't out of the question.

That would have to be the biggest possible list, or at least biggest in star power since ... 2007? (Hird, Buckley, Grant, Ruccito, Kouta, Darcy, Archer, Lappin, Whitnall, Licuria, Clement, Hamill, Camporeale, Chris Johnson, Pickett, Chris Scott, Wakelin, Montgomery etc.)

Sandilands is signed up for next year

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

Watson
Hodge
Riewoldt
Bob Murphy
Gibson
Mitchell
Stevie J

Scott Thompson

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Spedman posted:

Sandilands is signed up for next year

True, that's why I say maybe, not like that's stopped people before if they think their bodies are hosed

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

racing identity posted:

Scott Thompson

Who? Do you mean the gamenorth defender?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Redpath challenging his suspension, arguing that he shoved Davis in the chest with insufficent force. Considering that Davis is now an renowned stager it'll be interesting if he gets called out on it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

Who? Do you mean the gamenorth defender?

Nah he played a few games for Melbourne but must have been in the VFL or something since

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
International cup had a big day today with most teams playing today at royal park.

Two games still livestreaming
Ireland V GB Womens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRIUA2Knx6g

Japan vs Croatia mens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pvy0WAwtU

I missed it (being tuesday) but apparently the USA V Canada womens game was called early after a US players was taken from the field in an ambulance. Canada won the game at 3QT and will face the winner of GBv Ireland in the grand final as the curtain raiser for Carlton v Hawks on Saturday.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 15, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm going to miss Joshie (although he had not had a good season so the time was right) and I'm going to miss Bob.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sucks that Bob missed out on the Grand Final last year :(

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Croatia 66 to Japan 1 at full time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Well that didn't go to plan. I guess they figured they were fairly slim chance to make finals without him so missing round 1 next year doesn't really matter or something?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
The MRP is a loving joke.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

V for Vegas posted:

Croatia 66 to Japan 1 at full time.

PNG 17.16 113 - South Africa 0.4 4

Mens GF is PNG vs NZ at the MCG

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Interestingly, Jordan Lewis of all people said that what Greene did was not acceptable and that the AFL should have made a statement since any resulting injury would have been incredibly severe. Murphy & Jack Riewoldt also said the same thing but the only player that would have shocked me more would be if Hodge said so.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 15, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would love to see stats on how many times Hodge is mentioned in posts itt.

No farewll for Gibson, his groin is still stuffed apparently. Everyone knew it was coming but his retirement still saddens me. Best and fairest in two premiership years. A gun.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Testekill posted:

Interestingly, Jordan Lewis of all people said that what Greene did was not acceptable and that the AFL should have made a statement since any resulting injury would have been incredibly severe. Murphy & Jack Riewoldt also said the same thing but the only player that would have shocked me more would be if Hodge said so.

I don't think Lewis ever complained when he got suspended. He generally knew he'd done something wrong

Edit: I'm going to miss Gibbo a lot. Absolute champion of our club. 2 Crimmins medals in premiership years.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

spamman posted:

Edit: I'm going to miss Gibbo a lot. Absolute champion of our club. 2 Crimmins medals in premiership years.

I definitely see Gibbo in the media. I'm gonna miss him on the field, but there's a lot of "I'm gonna miss <insert here> on the field" going on.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

spamman posted:

I don't think Lewis ever complained when he got suspended. He generally knew he'd done something wrong

Hah, when he clotheslined Goldstein a couple years back he got pretty salty when Robbo had the nerve to ask him about it on 360. I mean, I don't expect him to come out and say 'Yeah I wanted to smash their most important player in the head', but he absolutely trotted out all the 'Nah it's a fast game, clearly trying to spoil the ball' nonsense.

Sad to see Murphy go, especially the way the year has gone for the Dogs, with some players just falling off the cliff after the premiership. Goes through all the rehab and pain at his age and there's a real chance they won't even make finals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

realbez posted:

I would love to see stats on how many times Hodge is mentioned in posts itt.

No farewll for Gibson, his groin is still stuffed apparently. Everyone knew it was coming but his retirement still saddens me. Best and fairest in two premiership years. A gun.

Counting down the days until Jake Lever decides his heart is with the newly vacated third defender spot at Hawthorn, the team with no first round pick to trade, and only the GWS second round pick in the 40s to trade.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 15, 2017

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Schlesische posted:

I definitely see Gibbo in the media. I'm gonna miss him on the field, but there's a lot of "I'm gonna miss <insert here> on the field" going on.

Has he done any media at all in his career? I can't recall much if any

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Modelling mostly

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Counting down the days until Jake Lever decides his heart is with the newly vacated third defender spot at Hawthorn, the team with no first round pick to trade, and only the GWS second round pick in the 40s to trade.

I'm confident, too 😊

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Cheers, Bob.

As far as footballers go, he's quite eloquent. Would be nice to see him write about the game more

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grumio posted:

Cheers, Bob.

As far as footballers go, he's quite eloquent. Would be nice to see him write about the game more

Write? What are ya, a bloody communist?

Everyone knows that to truly be a footballer in the media you need to dress up as a awoman and complain about Political Correctness.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Bennell is going to get his first game for Freo this weekend (he did play a few pre-season games). I just hope his calves don't explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

and from The Scum

quote:

In official AFL figures seen by the Herald Sun, Collingwood has leapfrogged Hawthorn with 75,879 paid-up members as total AFL memberships rose 3.7 per cent.

The AFL has exceeded 900,000 members for the first time.

RETIRING STARS: WHO DID IT BETTER, ‘07 OR ‘17?

FREE KICKS: WERE THE TIGERS REALLY HARD DONE BY?

Twelve of the 18 clubs have made membership gains this year and 10 have reached record memberships.

The Pies recorded a 1.6 per cent jump in membership to go ahead of Hawthorn (75,663), Richmond (72,669) and Essendon (67,768).

Collingwood has the most paid-up members in the AFL. Picture: Alex Coppel

But while Greater Western Sydney has recorded a sensational 37 per cent growth to rise to 20,944 members, Gold Coast’s figures are a cause for concern.

The Suns’ membership slumped 9.25 per cent to 11,665 paid-up members this year — 9000 fewer than the Giants.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said the Pies members who had stayed strong would be rewarded next year.

The club will not play ­finals for a fourth consecutive season.

“It’s been a disappointing year for us, but the thing that keeps us going is membership,’’ he said.

“It’s fantastic that big Victorian clubs like Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong continue to grow.

“In a period where it’s been tough for Pies fans, they have voted with their membership dollars. We want to make sure they get rewarded next year.”

MEMBERSHIP LADDER. The complete breakdown of each club's membership numbers.

CLUB...............2017...... 2016...VARIATION

Collingwood.... 75,879... 74,643.... +1.66%

Hawthorn ........75,663... 75,351..... +0.41%

Richmond........ 72,669... 72,278.... +0.54%

Essendon........ 67,768.... 57,494.... +17.87%

West Coast..... 65,064.... 65,188.... -0.19%

Sydney............ 58,838.... 56,523.... +4.10%

Adelaide...........56,865.... 54,307.... +4.71%

Geelong...........54,854.....50,571..... +8.47%

Port Adelaide...52,129.....53,743..... -3.00%

Fremantle.........51,254.... 51,889..... -1.22%

Carlton.............50,326.....50,130..... +0.39%

Bulldogs...........47,653.....39,459.... +20.77%

Melbourne .......42,233.....39,146..... +7.89%

St Kilda.............42,052.....38,009..... +10.64%

North Melb.......40,343.....45,014..... -10.38%

Brisbane...........21,362.....23,286..... -8.36%

GWS Giants......20,944.....15,312..... +36.78%

Gold Coast....... 11,665.....12,854..... -9.25%

TOTAL...............907,561...875,197.... +3.70%

The figures are based on numbers after the July 31 deadline and include only games-based memberships, not social memberships.

The GWS figure of 20,944 would put it third among Sydney-based NRL clubs.

Giants chief executive David Matthews was thrilled with the fan response.

“A 37 per cent increase this year is a significant achievement and clearly shows the club’s rapid growth after just six years in the AFL,’’ he said.

“We represent a truly inclusive organisation with strong values that obviously resonate with communities in NSW and the ACT.”

Clubs include three-game members in their figures and say that membership category often leads to 11-game memberships.

The Tiger Army is still strong. Picture: Alex Coppel

Six clubs recorded membership losses: West Coast (down 0.19 per cent), Port Adelaide (3 per cent), Fremantle (1.2 per cent), North Melbourne (10.4 per cent), Brisbane Lions (8.2 per cent) and Gold Coast (9.2 per cent).

The 10 clubs that set records included Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond and Western Bulldogs.

A total of 7192 AFLW ­memberships were included in the figures.

Essendon’s increase of 10,274 members, the largest in total number, shows the club’s resilience after the banning of players for drug offences.

The Bulldogs increased their membership by 8194 (20.8 per cent).

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2017

• Locked thread