Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

GhostStalker posted:

. . . gotta deal with that Summoner sooner rather than later, but that might be hard with it taking cover behind the wreck of that dropship, though I'm not sure if it actually provides cover or is just rough or impassable terrain and you can just fire over it.

My read on it, and PTN hasn't corrected my previous statement, is that the downed dropship is at H0, since its not stated explicitly that there is a height component to the wreckage. Ergo, it does not provide cover, and is just rough terrain (or maybe even impassible?).

GhostStalker posted:

. . . and take back (Isoroku's?) HOME PLANET.

Technically, isn't it Hanse's HOME PLANET? Aren't they all Hanse's HOME PLANET now?

Yakumo posted:

Sorry I haven't really had a chance to check in and discuss things yet. Been a busy couple days for me and tomorrow won't be much better, so I could use some input on what I should be doing. My first thought is that I can just face south, move one hex to 1123, and get decent shots at the southern Epona, contingency for either the Summoner or the Ha Otoko in case the Battlemaster wrecks it before me. I have pretty poor shots at the Summoner so probably the Ha Otoko.

No worries, real life and work always comes first; the fact that no one has missed orders yet, 10 turns in, shows we're all 'serious' about this stompy robot game of ours.

I would advise moving down to 1124 (any hex farther south is one hex closer to accomplishing the primary) and targeting the Epona, contingency on the Summoner. Between the Hunchie and Jagermom, the Ha Otoko is covered.

The Naginata could use some support, remind the Star Commander that he isn't getting a 'free kill' on our battered Kuritan friend.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

Technically, isn't it Hanse's HOME PLANET? Aren't they all Hanse's HOME PLANET now?

In the sense that if you have a mortgage, it's actually the bank's home and not yours, I suppose.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Thanks for all your advice, guys! Going full :black101:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Just a note, in case you listened to me: I was totally wrong about 9+ being not horrible (somehow misremembered 5+ as 7+ in terms of odds...).
Suffice to say regular fire is actually 1/3rd more effective than aiming low at doing damage to the legs... Aiming low with the LL at 7+ over 3+ still yields an extra 36.7% chance of hitting the legs though (58.3% over 21.6%) in case you decided to go with it.
Sorry about the error.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 15, 2017

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

RA Rx posted:

Just a note, in case you listened to me: I was totally wrong about 9+ being not horrible (somehow misremembered 5+ as 7+ in terms of odds...).
Suffice to say regular fire is actually 1/3rd more effective than aiming low at doing damage to the legs... Aiming low with the LL at 7+ over 3+ still yields an extra 36.7% chance of hitting the legs though (58.3% over 21.6%) in case you decided to go with it.
Sorry about the error.

No worries! I ended up doing normal aiming anyway (not intentionally ignoring your advice, just forgot it).

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Looks like it’s getting down to that time again; as PTN hasn’t spoken more about the ‘Sag’ / Epona rear shot bonus issue last turn, and I haven’t seen any discussions to the contrary, pending orders for the ‘Sag’ will be:

‘Sag’ to jump to 1119, facing 1219, and fire x2 LPL, x2 MPL, and x1 SPL at the Epona Prime #2 in 1216.

Captain DuPont would feel bad about shooting at the tanker, if Yonit wasn’t also doing his very best to shoot her out of her ‘mech.

***** Edit *****

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

No worries! I ended up doing normal aiming anyway (not intentionally ignoring your advice, just forgot it).

Rooting for you buddy; if you pull this off with the 'Garg', and pop the secondary objective, it'll be a tight race for MVP this mission against Jagermom!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Orders in - I'm going to 1930 and shooting the HO.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Looks like it’s getting down to that time again; as PTN hasn’t spoken more about the ‘Sag’ / Epona rear shot bonus issue last turn

I'm not particularly worried about it since it's retreating anyway. I've just resolved not to take any potshots with the Epona on the way out so it's as good as dead regardless. :shrug:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not particularly worried about it since it's retreating anyway. I've just resolved not to take any potshots with the Epona on the way out so it's as good as dead regardless. :shrug:

Thanks, appreciate the clarification.

Now Captain DuPont will feel bad about herself.

Still, its a valid military target on a field of battle, can't just let it saunter off, and I doubt Yonit is inclined to surrender?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

CourValant posted:

Thanks, appreciate the clarification.

Now Captain DuPont will feel bad about herself.

Still, its a valid military target on a field of battle, can't just let it saunter off, and I doubt Yonit is inclined to surrender?
You can always send a new set of orders - if you shoot at the Epona while it is retreating, it will probably shoot back.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ardlen posted:

You can always send a new set of orders - if you shoot at the Epona while it is retreating, it will probably shoot back.

I haven't submitted orders yet, and, I don't think that's how the shooting orders go.

Either the Epona decides to shoot, or it doesn't, and PTN already said it won't be taking anymore pot shots on its retreat.

Don't think it matters if I shoot at it or not this turn; next round, if it survives, it may decide to shoot back?

What does the thread think? Let it retreat, or pop?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In previous scenarios, PTN has definitely had units respond to being fired upon that otherwise were ready to retreat and not shoot any more. I think if PTN is saying a unit is leaving the scene, and destroying that unit has no bearing on any of the scenario objectives, you are better off saving your heat/ammo/etc. and focusing on something that actually matters to shoot at or run towards or whatever. If there's any chance that shooting at that tank means it shoots back when otherwise it holds its fire, you should probably not shoot it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

In previous scenarios, PTN has definitely had units respond to being fired upon that otherwise were ready to retreat and not shoot any more. I think if PTN is saying a unit is leaving the scene, and destroying that unit has no bearing on any of the scenario objectives, you are better off saving your heat/ammo/etc. and focusing on something that actually matters to shoot at or run towards or whatever. If there's any chance that shooting at that tank means it shoots back when otherwise it holds its fire, you should probably not shoot it.

Last time goons decided to shoot downed/retreating units it definitely went very well for them :v: (shoutout as ever to Zaodai haha)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Just let it go. Resources are better spent elsewhere.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, if it is retreating anyway and PTN says it won't take parting shots, then let it go. You have more important targets to go after here anyway.

Doesn't seem in Yonit's character to do so from what we saw from him in that update, but I'll take his word over what was presented in fluff.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Last time goons decided to shoot downed/retreating units it definitely went very well for them :v: (shoutout as ever to Zaodai haha)

It went well for the goons watching the show, and isn't that the most important tactical decision? Plus, I think that was two downed-mech-shootings ago. I'm pretty sure I argued against shooting the retreating mech the last time it came up (to no avail). :pseudo:

Goonlance: Tactical Warcrimes Division

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

It went well for the goons watching the show, and isn't that the most important tactical decision? Plus, I think that was two downed-mech-shootings ago. I'm pretty sure I argued against shooting the retreating mech the last time it came up (to no avail). :pseudo:

Goonlance: Tactical Warcrimes Division

:doink:

Its a good point, should use the heat on something that can shoot back.

In that case, jumping to 1321, shooting at the Epona, contingency on the HO.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

CourValant posted:

In that case, jumping to 1321, shooting at the Epona, contingency on the HO.
I don't think you have LOS from there to either target, since you'd be at -1 elevation, the Epona is only height 1, and the HO is only as tall as the Epona because it is behind the plateau.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ardlen posted:

I don't think you have LOS from there to either target, since you'd be at -1 elevation, the Epona is only height 1, and the HO is only as tall as the Epona because it is behind the plateau.

Well sonofa . . . how did we go from a target rich environment to having nothing to shoot at?

Alright, swinging round North and taking pot shots at the Summoner then.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Is someone else taking 1323 or 1222? You can use either to shoot the Epona and or the HO.

1323 grants +2 move mod and short range on all your weapons in exchange for being in short range of the Epona's weapons
1222 grants +1 move mod + partial cover and medium range on MPLs/short on LPLs/ERPPC.

Second option w/ firing two LPL/two MPL so that you cool down to only +2 heat is probably best.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CourValant posted:

Well sonofa . . . how did we go from a target rich environment to having nothing to shoot at?

Alright, swinging round North and taking pot shots at the Summoner then.
I would skip the jumping so that you have better to-hit numbers and generate less heat. If you get to a level 0 you will have LoS on the Epona, so you could back up or move forward like Gwaihir is saying.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Gwaihir posted:

Is someone else taking 1323 or 1222? You can use either to shoot the Epona and or the HO.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would skip the jumping so that you have better to-hit numbers and generate less heat. If you get to a level 0 you will have LoS on the Epona, so you could back up or move forward like Gwaihir is saying.

I want to get as close to the Stone Rhino as possible before it clears the M4.

'Sag' is probably the best equipped 'mech to keep it honest, don't want all of us to be caught out in mid-field again once its guns can be brought to bear.

I figure if I'm stalking it, it would focus on me and not gun down the Battlemaster and 'Hata' when they finally make that last run to link-up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CourValant posted:

I want to get as close to the Stone Rhino as possible before it clears the M4.

'Sag' is probably the best equipped 'mech to keep it honest, don't want all of us to be caught out in mid-field again once its guns can be brought to bear.

I figure if I'm stalking it, it would focus on me and not gun down the Battlemaster and 'Hata' when they finally make that last run to link-up.
That is good thinking but it will probably get a turn in the open regardless. If you, say, walk backwards to 1019 and fire downrange at the Summoner and/or Epona in 1425, let your heat get down, you could be in position to get in better position next turn while still contributing more this turn? I'm really not sure so feel free to ignore me - I am not trying to backseat drive you.

Also the Hata is pretty much untouched, isnt it? Send it towards the Stone Rhino first :v:

I would love to see the Battlemaster play LoS games with the Stone Rhino by going to 1622 and unloading on the back of the Epona this turn and the Sag heading north of the H17 (jump to 1119 facing 1218(torso twist to shoot at the Summoner or southern Epona or something))... That way one of you would be able to jockey for position for rear shots in a turn or two hahah

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 15, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

I'm really not sure so feel free to ignore me - I am not trying to backseat drive you.

No worries, as long as its done in a meaningful and respectful manner, I really do enjoy discussing options here on the thread; its why I ask for your collective opinions after all! :)

Also the Hata is pretty much untouched, isnt it? Send it towards the Stone Rhino first :v:

Between the rough terrain and the distance, I feel like this is akin to 'charging the guns'. Still, if the 'Hata' feels like it; although at this point, I would just say 'Hata' and Battlemaster, run down south for the link-up while 'Sag' still has some armor remaining on the left torso.

I would love to see the Battlemaster play LoS games with the Stone Rhino by going to 1622 and unloading on the back of the Epona this turn and the Sag heading north of the H17 (jump to 1119 facing 1218(torso twist to shoot at the Summoner or southern Epona or something))

Its a bold move, I like it! :)

'Sag' was always inclined to move north of that H17.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

are there any plans to link with the southern group?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Doesn't seem in Yonit's character to do so from what we saw from him in that update, but I'll take his word over what was presented in fluff.

It's hard being a pragmatic Clanner. You want to die in battle, but you want to die in a battle your side is winning.

CourValant posted:

The JagerMech has been stealing all the kills. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 15, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Leperflesh posted:

are there any plans to link with the southern group?

For what its worth, I've been advocating that the 'Hata' and Battlemaster complete their run south this turn before the Stone Rhino clears the M4, while the Summoner is out of position, and while the 'Sag' still has some armor left.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The JagerMech has been stealing all the kills. :haw:

. . . jagerMOM, you're embarrassing me in front of the Lacrosse TeamClanners on the first day of schoolLiberation, and the Japanese waifusGirls are totally watching!!!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's hard being a pragmatic Clanner. You want to die in battle, but you want to die in a battle your side is winning.

Ideally, you'd die in a mutual KO against the last enemy of the last fight of the last war. Then nobody can possibly surpass your glory!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Still should link up just to get that objective out of the way if that's at all possible.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
[madden mode: ON]

"Look, sometimes you see a player just have a breakout game, where you know they're gonna be something special going forward. That's the Jagermech, right there. Just havin' fun out there, making plays all over the place. When you have a playmaker like that, who can get you yards out of nowhere, it really opens up the rest of the field for the offense. Now, I uh, well I know the Jagermech isn't the traditional kind of playmaker, but the way they're running this offense, they're getting the job done and proving that they're a real talent. A lot of the time, your stars are the guys who work the hardest, not just the ones with the most natural talent, and that's what we're seeing here. The league is gonna have a hard time shutting this Jagermech down for a long time."

"I think because of all that, we're really starting to see the defense break down. They just don't have enough of their starters left on the field and it's letting the playmakers run wild. The offense is getting worn down too, but it's obvious that it's hurting them less right now. If they can clear another blocker or two on the next couple of plays, and I think they can, then there really isn't anything to stop them from getting their objective. They might not get there with all their starters on the field, since it's tricky right now, but sometimes guys have to sacrifice the body in this league in order to give their team the best chance to win the game."

[madden mode: OFF]

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Orders are in. Nagi is gonna run southeast and tactically present its rear armor to the Summoner while providing fire downrange to the HO.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Ok, slight revision for the Battlemaster.

Move to 1622 facing 1723, unload on the rear of the Epona with secondary target Ha Otoko.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I had this thread bookmarked for ages but never actually read it because it was so intimidating to get into. With HBS's Battletech on the horizon I needed a battletech fix and started reading....

Hooooly poo poo why have I not been reading this since like 1900 posts ago :psyduck:

No. Do it! Sweep the legs Crush the cockpit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Since the number of turns remaining in this mission seems like it could be very low, I might as well volunteer to be put on the list.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
THrow me back on the list :) I added myself to the spreadsheet from back in spring but I hadn't caught up to the thread till ~July

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Orders Submitted

‘Sag’ will jump to 1119, facing 1018, and fire the ER PPC and x1 LPL at the Summoner in 0326.

Captain Dupont will mutter to herself, “How are these thrice-damned Dracs doing all this damage, and yet manage to lose an empire?!? I guess I’d rather have them in our tent, spitting out, then the alternative.”

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

CourValant posted:

No worries, real life and work always comes first; the fact that no one has missed orders yet, 10 turns in, shows we're all 'serious' about this stompy robot game of ours.

I would advise moving down to 1124 (any hex farther south is one hex closer to accomplishing the primary) and targeting the Epona, contingency on the Summoner. Between the Hunchie and Jagermom, the Ha Otoko is covered.

The Naginata could use some support, remind the Star Commander that he isn't getting a 'free kill' on our battered Kuritan friend.

The problem is that my hit numbers are already going to be 7 on the Epona, 8 on the Ha Otoko, and 10 on the Summoner. If I move to 1124, bump those all up by one. I'm having enough trouble getting the dice to cooperate with me as it is, and it's a lot easier to meet up if there's nothing in the way to stop us. I guess it would make me an easier target for the Epona than the Battlemaster would be, though, since I'd move into it's short range. Maybe I can actually be useful for something by taking some fire.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

. . . maybe I can actually be useful for something by taking some fire.

I wouldn't quite put it that way :)

However, both the Battlemaster and 'Sag' are pretty beat up, as is the Southern Flank. 'Hata' is the one 'mech in play midfield that can soak up some hits for the rest of the team.

Shots-wise, yeah, the numbers will suck this turn. I didn't work out the TH, however, I'm pretty dang sure the 'Sag' shots at the Summoner are ridiculous (11s, 12s?), if not outright impossible.

Still, the intent is to maneuver for a better position next turn, and I think the same thinking applies for the 'Hata' this round.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

shalafi4 posted:

THrow me back on the list :) I added myself to the spreadsheet from back in spring but I hadn't caught up to the thread till ~July

I'm not 100% sure I put myself back on the pilot list. I'd like to be thrown into the mix as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Holybat posted:

I'm not 100% sure I put myself back on the pilot list. I'd like to be thrown into the mix as well :)

Always sign up, you can't do worse than me.

Also, make sure you didn't sign up under a previous name change.

• Locked thread