Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/vaksai/

Harpooned! looks rad. Suck on that, 4 ship rebels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Beat you by seconds!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol more unhittable ships are exactly what this game needs

alg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 15, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alg posted:

Lol more unhittable ships are exactly what this game needs

Kihraxz fighters with title are T-65 X-Wings that can pay an extra 6 points for Autothrusters, Engine Upgrade, and Stealth Device. I wouldn't call that "unhittable".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

And there's so much auto-damage that even 3 agility is far from unhittable.

Hell, even regular attacks are big enough to get through.

Other than Biggs and company, the game has never cared less about your defense. And the Harpoon missiles really gently caress up Biggs and company.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
Hey all, just played the basic set with a friend last week and was immediately taken with the game. Now I want to head to my local game store and pick up some ships and I'm looking for some advice. I know the OP says play whatever and it's all balanced, but that's also 3 years old and I want to know what I should be targeting to start with. Note I'd prefer faster more agile ships if possible, and I love A-wings (which from a very quick browsing of this thread aren't that good...).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
You shouldn't have to buy a thirty dollar expansion and spend four points for a ordnance slot to counter Biggs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Devlan Mud posted:

You shouldn't have to buy a thirty dollar expansion and spend four points for a ordnance slot to counter Biggs.

And two more ships and all sorts of other goodies and

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Am I missing something on harpooned? It just looks like a convoluted assault missile.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ro5s posted:

Am I missing something on harpooned? It just looks like a convoluted assault missile.

It's cheaper, and you don't have to spend your lock to fire it. That makes it a good missile on its own.

The extra effect is a bonus on top of that. It can be triggered by other shot, and goes through shields on the harpooned ship. It also limits action economy; you can keep the condition or action it away.

It's a pretty sweet piece of tech.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eh, Harpoon still has to get through selflessness, a reinforce token and draw their fire to work. And theyll most likely point their guns toward anyone carrying the harpoon thing first. Plus you can just action it away.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Triple scurrgs can take harpoons. No reason to only take one.

Spending an action on it is yuge.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Eh, Harpoon still has to get through selflessness, a reinforce token and draw their fire to work. And theyll most likely point their guns toward anyone carrying the harpoon thing first. Plus you can just action it away.

No, it doesn't have to get through all that nonsense (except the reinforce token).

Whether or not an attack hits is completely beside the point on if you take damage from it.

If there are more boom/kaboom results than total evade results, the attack hits and the condition is applied.

Same for the text of the condition. If you have the condition, and get hit by an attack that had at least one uncanceled kaboom, then you're triggering the extra damage. Sure someone can pull the crit away, but that doesn't change the fact that you were hit or that there was an uncanceled crit.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Looks like Zeb in the Attack Shuttle stands the best chance of avoiding a harpoon'ing. :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ChuckBTY posted:

Hey all, just played the basic set with a friend last week and was immediately taken with the game. Now I want to head to my local game store and pick up some ships and I'm looking for some advice. I know the OP says play whatever and it's all balanced, but that's also 3 years old and I want to know what I should be targeting to start with. Note I'd prefer faster more agile ships if possible, and I love A-wings (which from a very quick browsing of this thread aren't that good...).

A-Wings are fun as hell and my favorite Rebel ship, gently caress all the 'it's not viable' haters. Get that and Rebel Aces. For the Imperial side, Interceptors are their version of A-Wings (other way around?). Get that expansion and Imperial Aces. That's a strong starting point for the game. Will it win store championships? probably not, but they are a blast and a great way to start getting everything down before you make the big plunge and eventually get everything.....and you will eventually do that. A lot of ships can get a lot more agile and unpredictable with upgrades (I REALLY like the Intensity/Black One/BB-8/Primed Thruster combo on Poe), but those usually require buying multiple ships you may not like across multiple factions you may not play to get there. I like flying almost all the ships in one way or another, so there's that.

I frankly love the Scum faction (because I am an rear end in a top hat), but starting with Rebels and Imperials is a better place the begin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Is it a good idea to put a comm relay on Intensity Poe?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it a good idea to put a comm relay on Intensity Poe?

Hell yes it is. He essentially gets double regen with comm relay.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Hell yes it is. He essentially gets double regen with comm relay.

Not sure how that works? If he has BB-8, he has no regen essentially?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Regen on Intensity Poe is so great. You should try it both ways, but every time I play Intensity Poe with R2-D2, I regen an average of 6-8 shields each game. No way in those games would I have avoided 6-8 damage with BB-8.

The double regen bit with Comm relay is that you have an evade token you can blow if you need to, which you can replace a turn or two later. It's lovely.

Harpooned condition got me thinking, and it's important to note that Harpooned! doesn't really have any meaningful interactions with Draw Their Fire or Selflessness. DTF happens in Step 7 of the attack, and it appears that Harpooned! looks for whether the attack hit (between steps 6 and 7), and whether there was an uncancelled crit in there. Even if DTF eats the crit, Harpooned! still triggers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Regen on Intensity Poe is so great. You should try it both ways, but every time I play Intensity Poe with R2-D2, I regen an average of 6-8 shields each game. No way in those games would I have avoided 6-8 damage with BB-8.

The double regen bit with Comm relay is that you have an evade token you can blow if you need to, which you can replace a turn or two later. It's lovely.

Harpooned condition got me thinking, and it's important to note that Harpooned! doesn't really have any meaningful interactions with Draw Their Fire or Selflessness. DTF happens in Step 7 of the attack, and it appears that Harpooned! looks for whether the attack hit (between steps 6 and 7), and whether there was an uncancelled crit in there. Even if DTF eats the crit, Harpooned! still triggers.

I just wanna make sure I get order of operations right.

Turn 1, do a slow roll, action is boost, take an evade from intensity, keep it with comm relay. then round after, action is focus, flip intensity? I mean, do you turn and run with Poe to reflip it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not sure how that works? If he has BB-8, he has no regen essentially?

Oh I didn't realize you were flying the super maneuverable but objectively worse in every other way BB-8 Poe.

Switch to R2-D2 and enjoy your unkillable ace.

Lone Wolf/Rey Dash + Intensity/R2D2 Poe is crazy good right now. If you get to a 1on1 or even 2on1 situation with Poe, he probably wins. And Dash is Dash; good luck catching and killing him before you lose a ship or two.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Turn 1, do a slow roll, action is boost, take an evade from intensity, keep it with comm relay. then round after, action is focus, flip intensity? I mean, do you turn and run with Poe to reflip it?

Yes, you run early and often with this Poe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Right. Remember that Intensity's flip trigger happens at the end of combat, and Poe's usually got a focus token at the end of combat.

If you've taken a big enough hit to need to spend that evade token, chances are you want to run to regen anyway (3 straight + boost is your buddy here). Regen your shields with R2-D2 and wheel around for another pass.
I usually find that if I've spent the evade token to avoid big damage, I'm faced with a choice to keep up momentum on the attack and keep going for it, or running away and trying to get the shields and evade token back. Most times I end up just pressing the attack and killing whatever was shooting at me, then running and regenning if anything is left.

The trigger I find I forget most often is to remove target locks after boosting with the Black One title.

How do you all remember triggers? I know some people will use tokens, or write the card name on their hands, or whatever.
For me, I like to say out loud the phase we've entered to remind me. "Ok, end of activation phase. any triggers?" "OK, start of combat, Rey triggers"
For regen, I like to hold a shield token in my off hand when I lose one, to remind me that I can put one back on when I do a regenning thing. Same with cloaking tokens, I hold a spare cloaking token to remind me to announce decloaks.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm thinking about taking two of this lists to my first Hangar Bay format league: Poe/Dash, Biggs/Jess/Rex/Lowhhrick or Dengar/Nym. I know those lists are all the rage around, but I live in Mexico and our meta is really really weird. I've been flying Poe with Rey with some success except when confronted with a heavy bomb list.

I'm also thinking about trying some kind of Imperial multitool list with an Agressor, a Striker and a couple of Bombers or just a Bomber and add OL to the list. Opinions?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Talas posted:

I'm thinking about taking two of this lists to my first Hangar Bay format league: Poe/Dash, Biggs/Jess/Rex/Lowhhrick or Dengar/Nym. I know those lists are all the rage around, but I live in Mexico and our meta is really really weird. I've been flying Poe with Rey with some success except when confronted with a heavy bomb list.

I'm also thinking about trying some kind of Imperial multitool list with an Agressor, a Striker and a couple of Bombers or just a Bomber and add OL to the list. Opinions?

Dash/Poe and Biggs/Jess/Rex/Low are both crazy good and have few weaknesses. However, both will probably go to time, every time.

Dengar/Nym is also solid. However, you'll win or lose fairly quickly.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Dash/Poe and Biggs/Jess/Rex/Low are both crazy good and have few weaknesses. However, both will probably go to time, every time.
Ohhh, I can handle that. Thanks! Now it's time to test and don't repeat upgrades...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh I didn't realize you were flying the super maneuverable but objectively worse in every other way BB-8 Poe.

Switch to R2-D2 and enjoy your unkillable ace.

Lone Wolf/Rey Dash + Intensity/R2D2 Poe is crazy good right now. If you get to a 1on1 or even 2on1 situation with Poe, he probably wins. And Dash is Dash; good luck catching and killing him before you lose a ship or two.

I flew Dash for like a year solid when I first got into the game (The only kits in my FLGS at the time were yt-2400, Rebel Aces, and z-95s. And I wanna use my space station wagon now

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Intensity (2)
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Wullffwarro (30)
Predator (3)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
C-3PO (3)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Print cards off you need. No reason to buy out of faction ships or trash (U-Wing) for a piece of paper.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

enigmahfc posted:

A-Wings are fun as hell and my favorite Rebel ship, gently caress all the 'it's not viable' haters. Get that and Rebel Aces. For the Imperial side, Interceptors are their version of A-Wings (other way around?). Get that expansion and Imperial Aces. That's a strong starting point for the game. Will it win store championships? probably not, but they are a blast and a great way to start getting everything down before you make the big plunge and eventually get everything.....and you will eventually do that. A lot of ships can get a lot more agile and unpredictable with upgrades (I REALLY like the Intensity/Black One/BB-8/Primed Thruster combo on Poe), but those usually require buying multiple ships you may not like across multiple factions you may not play to get there. I like flying almost all the ships in one way or another, so there's that.

I frankly love the Scum faction (because I am an rear end in a top hat), but starting with Rebels and Imperials is a better place the begin.

As someone who also just got into this game and have been hitting up local stores, don't worry about Imperial Aces, because your store won't have it and Amazon will at twice MSRP.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Imperial Veterans and a TIE Defender is a good backup plan.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So Harpooned! doesn't do some crazy Del Lago thing forcing a ship to be dragged along like a hell tractor beam? Somehow I knew, but still, I hoped.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
So if you drop a Rigged Cargo Chute on top of someone, does it resolve immediately? I thought it did, but I can't find any reference to back that up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

clayburn posted:

So if you drop a Rigged Cargo Chute on top of someone, does it resolve immediately? I thought it did, but I can't find any reference to back that up.

Yes, it does. Just like a bomb would.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I really like intensity Poe with com relay/R2D2/title/autothrusters.

I don’t get to play often so I am not that great of a player. I took this Poe along with lone wolf Dash last weekend to a store tournament and went 2 and 2 and came in 9th out of 23 or 24 players. As a lovely player, I was happy with that.

One game I lost it went to time and I lost 50 to 53. Poe was the last one on the board, full health, full shields against 2 wookie gunships.

One game that I won 100 to 0, Poe took two Plasma torps from Dengar during the game and Poe was alive with 1 hit to the hull and full shields.

Since I don’t get to practice that much, I am not sure how to handle the situation when my opponent goes straight for my Dash. That is what happened in the two games I lost. I need to practice what to do with Dash when they gun for him. I will probably drop rigged cargo shute (I never used it in my 4 games) for burnout slam so I can get Dash out of sticky situations.

I love this Poe, I think the BB8/vectored thrusters version is awesome too. I am just not good enough to fly that version and I am afraid if I screw up once, that Poe could die quick.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thats the problem with lonewolf Dash. He doesnt escape bad situations well and Poe really doesnt do enough damage for his points cost to make up for it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
HOT HOT GENCON RUMORS FROM A GUY WHO ISN'T ACTUALLY THERE:

My friend who *is* there said there's a spot at the FFG booth for a ship to be announced on Friday.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

overdesigned posted:

HOT HOT GENCON RUMORS FROM A GUY WHO ISN'T ACTUALLY THERE:

My friend who *is* there said there's a spot at the FFG booth for a ship to be announced on Friday.

I mean there's a 95% chance that Wave 12 is getting announced, so

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lazerus06 posted:

I really like intensity Poe with com relay/R2D2/title/autothrusters.

I don’t get to play often so I am not that great of a player. I took this Poe along with lone wolf Dash last weekend to a store tournament and went 2 and 2 and came in 9th out of 23 or 24 players. As a lovely player, I was happy with that.

One game I lost it went to time and I lost 50 to 53. Poe was the last one on the board, full health, full shields against 2 wookie gunships.

One game that I won 100 to 0, Poe took two Plasma torps from Dengar during the game and Poe was alive with 1 hit to the hull and full shields.

Since I don’t get to practice that much, I am not sure how to handle the situation when my opponent goes straight for my Dash. That is what happened in the two games I lost. I need to practice what to do with Dash when they gun for him. I will probably drop rigged cargo shute (I never used it in my 4 games) for burnout slam so I can get Dash out of sticky situations.

I love this Poe, I think the BB8/vectored thrusters version is awesome too. I am just not good enough to fly that version and I am afraid if I screw up once, that Poe could die quick.

How does poe work with com relay? He doesn't have evade that I recall...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Seldom Posts posted:

How does poe work with com relay? He doesn't have evade that I recall...

Intensity gives him an Evade when he Boosts.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Boost/Intensity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
New X-Wing blister with Blue Leader / General Dadstache from Rogue One.

No wait it's just more large base Bombers with two agility.

• Locked thread