Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I have 2 SSD's, one for the OS and one for games.

I don't suppose they will detect the fact that it's going to be on an SSD already, they're probably just going to copy it from one SSD to another. To make it faster. Right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

uXs posted:

I have 2 SSD's, one for the OS and one for games.

I don't suppose they will detect the fact that it's going to be on an SSD already, they're probably just going to copy it from one SSD to another. To make it faster. Right...

Well if you have Subnautica, all you need to to is load up your save and check your ProgramData's Unknown world folders for a temp folder with a copy of your entire save while the game is running.

When things work right, it deletes itself when you close the game. Needing to throw CCcleaner at it when it dumped 2 gig copy of my save it into the regular temp files folder after the game was closed was what tipped me off that this was happening in the first place. And I had to be very overt in asking "Hey anyone else noticed your ENTIRE SAVE being copied to programdata folders when your game is running? That's pretty big with 2 gig save files" (Which of course, had "I would have noticed if that was happening :smug:" player responses) before the Devs finally swung by to justify it with that honest to god 2014 website article.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 15, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Digirat posted:

I don't think they've taken any serious steps backwards except for the cyclops.

Making the multipurpose room a thing you have to seek out and scan instead of something you start with was pretty obnoxious.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The fruit nerf plus weird vomiting were both steps backward, esp. the way they were implemented. Removing terraforming without any associated performance improvements seems like a step backwards. Fish depopulation... that was actually a feature they added, right? Or was it always like that and they just justified it later? I cant remember.

There was the battery thing that made the seaglide useless, and then all the stuff with the cyclops, and then they put some work in adding fall damage for reasons I am not sure I remember, and dont forget when they increased the crafting time on some items to several minutes!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

and then they put some work in adding fall damage for reasons I am not sure I remember,

Falling damage is for times water randomly disappears!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BattleHamster posted:

Making the multipurpose room a thing you have to seek out and scan instead of something you start with was pretty obnoxious.

One bright side is that the time they gated the MP room, is at least also the time the made the solar panels a default. Locking the literally ONLY generic room in the game still feels silly, particularly when in a replay it takes 5 minutes or less to swim to draw distance island for them. But at least that was less odd than having to unlock AIR.

GlyphGryph posted:

The fruit nerf plus weird vomiting were both steps backward, esp. the way they were implemented. Removing terraforming without any associated performance improvements seems like a step backwards. Fish depopulation... that was actually a feature they added, right? Or was it always like that and they just justified it later? I cant remember.

There was the battery thing that made the seaglide useless, and then all the stuff with the cyclops, and then they put some work in adding fall damage for reasons I am not sure I remember, and dont forget when they increased the crafting time on some items to several minutes!
They have finally fixed fish depopulation. It was never really intended, but players kept trying to play it up like it was a "Realistic impact on the ecosystem". But only if you ate five fish, then it was your fault for overfishing. even if you never touched a single fish within 500 meters of your new base, still your fault :v: With how loud the sterotypical sandbox gamers are, it's easy to get the impression it was intentional. But that's one thing the Devs did get around to fixing for the most part. Seaglide also many months later got unfucked and is currently reasonable battery life again.

See also, the lifepod getting spawncamped. That's 99% fixed now (I still have gasbags spawn around it at game starts sometimes). But even when Devs outright posted spawncamped lifepods are not intended gameplay, you'd get people posting immediately after them about how peopel who haven't even had the chance to craft a knife yet are just too casual about the developer's vision.

The lanternfruit nerf is extra bizzare, because fruit sucks for anything but eating it there on the spot. It's a 2x2 object. it rots fast. It's still less overall food/water per item eaten than fish or sports bottles. It's the worst bio reactor eenergy in the game.... But even +5 food. For comparison, raw seaweed that's everywhere is +3 feed) is still considered OP by these people because of the perceived convenience of not having to slap a fish or a bottle of bleach onto the space BBQ. (See also. practically free and 15ish energy to craft a +40 water bottle. Vs 15 minutes to automatically create a single +50 water bottle needing more power than the rest of your base combined).

We have plenty of infinite food and water sources. One of the perks of Subnautica is how it's got one of the most convenient food situations of many survival games, rather than being a starving hobo simulator. Nerfing lanternfruit doesn't change that, it just makes the nerf all the more pointless.. But convenience freaks people right the gently caress out in any genre, regardless of the actual effectiveness.

Also, remember when their official forums got hacked to say "Too easy" everywhere, when people finally convinced them that If you don't manually pick up the item every time, it will get deleted!" wasn't actually immersive gameplay (which was around the same time as 30-45 seconds to craft copper wire). I'm sure that was an unrelated coincidence hack.

Though my favorite developer reaction to the timers thing was using their apparently very beloved "Problem is not literally X bad! It's only y!". When people were talking about two minute crafting timers, they linked a table which CLEARLY showed they only reached 45 seconds tops for items you could put in your inventory!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 16, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

The vomiting has been in since the beginning or close to it. I'm pretty sure it triggers when you overfill food or water by a certain percentage. Usually when you're trying to do something like fill up your food meter on something that mostly gives water. Also I don't think the long craft times ever made it out of experimental, which is kind of the point of experimental.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

7c Nickel posted:

The vomiting has been in since the beginning or close to it. I'm pretty sure it triggers when you overfill food or water by a certain percentage. Usually when you're trying to do something like fill up your food meter on something that mostly gives water. Also I don't think the long craft times ever made it out of experimental, which is kind of the point of experimental.

So far as I can tell, it's eating the same item in a row too much. You will vomit blood eating a bunch of potato chips as much as you would a bunch of fruit in a row. The way it goes, you are essentially immune to blood vomit so long as you are eating fish and drinking water bottles because even the absolute worst fish will fill 1/3 of the hunger meter.

So in common gameplay, only fruit will trigger it. Unless you go out of your way to stuff your face with multiple types of fruit that is, some players have bragged about how that workaround totally justifies Fruit as being still OP. Because eating four melons and however many bulbo tree samples on top, is so much more efficient than Two fish and two sports bottle which also fit neatly in your inventory as travel snacks.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 16, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

It's very dumb but it's not on the same level as the cyclops, and it's also something that probably took minimal effort to do that they could undo in an instant, unlike the cyclops junk which is a huge amount of effort gone to waste that they definitely aren't going to get rid of. They've made little changes for the worse for sure, but in my mind the cyclops is the only giant flashing example of a serious mistake, where they threw away time and resources just to make the game worse.

When were minutes-long crafting timers added? I didn't see them at either point when I tried the game so presumably they were removed? I would have some words to say about them if they were still in the game for sure

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

It's very dumb but it's not on the same level as the cyclops, and it's also something that probably took minimal effort to do that they could undo in an instant, unlike the cyclops junk which is a huge amount of effort gone to waste that they definitely aren't going to get rid of. They've made little changes for the worse for sure, but in my mind the cyclops is the only giant flashing example of a serious mistake, where they threw away time and resources just to make the game worse.

When were minutes-long crafting timers added? I didn't see them at either point when I tried the game so presumably they were removed? I would have some words to say about them if they were still in the game for sure

The big crafting timers along with "Manually pick up every fabricated object or it will get deleted" (Whoops! 10 titanium worth of ingot just got erased by a missclick) having their regulars assure them was premium immersive gameplay was way back in like, August 2016.

Being ignored on other forums essentially, made a lot of people dust off old acocunts, or make new ones for the official forums. Causing many cries of conspiracy and unfair dogpiles. Etc. And see previous comment about how their forums got hacked to spam the words "Too easy" everywhere shortly after their removal.

The whole "It's in experimental, why complain about experimental?" falls flat when you are not allowed to complain once it's put into live either because "Why didn't you give feedback during experimental then :smug:" anyways. Any feedback that isn't a pat on the back and a shiny gold star sticker is always the "wrong time", oddly enough. This goes for most games.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I don't really think there is anything wrong with getting pissed at a game that has so much potential and promise losing it's way and loving up. I picked this up in March 2016 and got at least 100 hours out of it. Money is not really the issue. I got my money's worth as far as I am concerned. This is totally different from the dopes who bought No Man's Sky on Pre-order. It's about organic development. The game was more unfinished a year ago, but arguably ran better for some and the gameplay was better. The discussion in this thread is about ongoing poo poo that is worth talking about. I don't think people should be getting really angry over any of this. But heated discussion is totally valid.

I stepped out for a few months and came back to find that there has not really been many positive changes. I have never had any crippling performance problems, but it's been since I got the game that this has been an issue. I really can't get behind the new Cyclops gameplay. It's just busywork that slows you down. There is little to no actual tension or anything to it. It still feels like what it is, an addition that does not really add to the game, but has the appearance of Subnautica having a really solid, busy roadmap. There is a couple of really neat changes. But the game feels very far away from 1.0 and my fear is that they will keep adding cool poo poo like the Void Titans and the Warper voices so youtubers can show this stuff off and sell the game on those merits instead of fixing these core problems with the game.

What looks sexier in a Youtube thumbnail or Steam update "Subnautica adds scary Warper voice!" or "Subnautica finally fixes huge bugs"? I am sure fixing the bugs is a priority. But I can also see the pressure they must be under to make the game seem dynamic and stand out among all the other poo poo on Steam.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Doesn't it stand out really well already? Is there a glut of alien scuba diving games around?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just started playing from the latest release. What sucks about the cyclops gameplay?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

horse mans posted:

I just started playing from the latest release. What sucks about the cyclops gameplay?

Depending on where you take it, it can be under constant attack from various sized beasts and it can be super annoying to deal with. It used to be invulnerable. Most players would like a middle ground.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

someone who knows about this kind of stuff- how does the PUBG map compare to the Subnautica map? is it even a reasonable comparison to make?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not really

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

tuyop posted:

Doesn't it stand out really well already? Is there a glut of alien scuba diving games around?

I just mean the general survival genre. And literally any early access game on Steam no matter how unique, has trouble getting noticed. I am trying to see it from the perspective of a project leader trying to get this game out the door. I know there is a a big difference between rooting out bugs in the games code and adding cool monsters. But my fear for the last few months is they will slap a 1.0 on this bad boy and start Subnautica 2/ MP before it's really ready.

horse mans posted:

As Dongattack said, It used to be invincible and did not have the different speeds or silent running poo poo. While I am not opposed to the idea of creatures attacking it. I do think it is implemented like poo poo. You pick up speed/make noise and you are attacked until you stop. Obnoxious music plays and you need to get out and weld the cracks. Rinse/repeat. So all it means is when there is creatures around you have to slow down or go around. I think it could be handled much better.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It also used to be able to actually flood and sink, kind of like how a sub actually works. If you got creative you could refloat the thing and fix the damage. Now it just lights on fire and explodes without recovery.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Plek posted:

It also used to be able to actually flood and sink, kind of like how a sub actually works. If you got creative you could refloat the thing and fix the damage. Now it just lights on fire and explodes without recovery.

"You used top speed for 20 seconds. Please put out the engine fires caused by driving in a straight line... Good, now that you have. Please go outside your submarine with your welder, as interior fires result in exterior shark bites damage"

No joke people in this thread, and some of my friends, when I copy/pasted the Silent Running 2.0 patch notes thought I was making poo poo up because it read like a parody of faux hardcore sandbox design :v:

They are in the process of changing, and have changed (in experimental) a lot of the most jarring or broken things. But, many of those were problems that didn't exist until they patched them into the game in the first place while bragging about how this was the most effort they put into any update ever you guys. Like shark attacks no longer in experimental (though they patched in amp eels attacking, which make up for lost time).

Which the major issue was how they wasted your time and were spammy as gently caress, given hardly anybody ever complains about the massive sea dragons that can punch your sumbarine in half. But even bringing that you haven't gotten your Cyclops destroyed in months just means "You don't know how to survive in a survival game :lol:"

As well, you can't just ignore a lot of this and just shrug and go "Well it's early access. I'm sure they have a QA team" When even the most basic of stuff, you get people talking about how light sticks drain power so nobody uses them and a Dev coming in and saying "Wait, really? But we changed our code so they don't drain anymore ages ago :downs:" Or listing they buffed the cyclops thermal reactor by +50% efficient, and then discovering instead they upped Ion Powercell recharge times from "50 minutes, at best, with the engines turned off and no energy sucking larva" to "300 minutes. Honest to god. Not hyperbole"

But bringing up even that still makes the player base incredibly loving salty. Even when it's straight up obviously broken or not working as intended gameplay. Between screaming that having to AFK from your endgame submarine for an hour to top up from empty is great game design, but gently caress you for saying that you can walk to the alien base and back in an hour with fresh battery ingredients.

As usual. Like others have said, much of the frustration is because of how much of a cool game is still here. Getting sidetracked and worse by so many :psyduck: things both deliberate and accidental gently caress up. Coming after years of "We'll fix it before launch, that's when you fix stuff, That's gamedev." to end up at "So turns out it may be impossible to fix that huge longstanding issue, but that's not our fault it's Unity's fault. That's gamedev."

So you have this game where the honest pitch tops out at "Buy it on sale" rather than "Get this at full price right now". When you know it could have been the latter. I want to be able to tell my friends "They added cool things, AND fixed those problems!" Not "So they say can never fix X, and added a link to game's main menu about how optimization is hard so will have to cut Y and Z because that's gamedev"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 18, 2017

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

horse mans posted:

I don't know about previous releases; but in the current release there's no real reason for the Cyclops to exist. It comes across as an end-game mobile base, but the end game areas are small and filled with hazards (making the large, lumbery, and hard-to-pilot Cyclops a complete pain in the rear end) and filled with enemies (which the Cyclops can't fend off, will be constantly attacked by, and will need constant repair because of).

Unfortunately, because the Seamoth has a hard depth limit, you have to drag the Cyclops out to the end game area anyways, and it's tremendously frustrating.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

skeleton warrior posted:

I don't know about previous releases; but in the current release there's no real reason for the Cyclops to exist. It comes across as an end-game mobile base, but the end game areas are small and filled with hazards (making the large, lumbery, and hard-to-pilot Cyclops a complete pain in the rear end) and filled with enemies (which the Cyclops can't fend off, will be constantly attacked by, and will need constant repair because of).

Unfortunately, because the Seamoth has a hard depth limit, you have to drag the Cyclops out to the end game area anyways, and it's tremendously frustrating.

Pro tips for leaving the Cyclops behind for the post lost river Endgame.

A: Build an outpost by the mountain island with at least a fabricator. Have a drill and grapple hook ready for your Prawn suit at least in it's inventory if not equipped.
B: Use the portal in the thermal base which leads onto mountain island. So you don't have to climb back out with the Prawn suit.
C: Craft the "We only give you one of these, but turns out you need TWO! Gotcha!" blue artifact.

:siren: Make loving sure to scan the blue artifact before you pick it up. :siren: It is a current problem many players run into that you don't get the blueprint unless you scan it before picking it up. So they use it, see the second door fifty feet later, and are all "...gently caress". Because how are new players going to know that without a wiki? (This is still defended as players not having proper forethought :sigh:)

So the BIG reason for a cyclops is... Saving you a trip back to a base to craft a second plot key. And also it's kind of a bitch to climb back out of the lava zones in a suit. But the precursor base portals solve both those problems.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 18, 2017

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
I generally think this is a fun game and don't have the same negative feelings as a lot of this thread, but am fully behind the view that the current Cyclops gameplay of having small predators ruin your exploration fun is incredibly frustrating and stupid. This is a single player game, it's not like they need to balance it for PvP...

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

skeleton warrior posted:

This is why I stopped playing. It just became too awkward instead of organic like it felt up to that point. That and ships kept randomly exploding for no apparent reason.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I would post a lot more, but you hit the nail on your head with your complaints most of the time.

I posted this great video earlier in the thread and I think it's worth dropping again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Um97AUqp4

It's a GDC talk by the dudes who made FTL post-morteming the game. It's an hour long so in case you don't watch, what really impressed me was that they had this complex idea for a game. Incredible amounts of detail and scope. But then streamlined the game to it's core systems through a lot of playtesting and experimentation. I understand there is a huge difference between a relatively linear space game with lazer focused ideas and a survival game. But it's worth looking at how they broke their idea down and responded to feedback in places.
One of the things I really enjoy about Subnautica is the fact the world is finite and pre-built. It does have a lot of focus to it which I think benefits the experience.

The point I am getting to, is that above all else, Subnautica needs to have compelling gameplay. Which I think it really does. When you start the game, you need a few things. So you explore and face challenges, you need food so you swim around and catch fish. you need to build items so you explore to find minerals. Hey, I built a thing that lets me swim faster or lets me gravity gun the fish towards me, awesome I can spend more time doing something else. Or, I built a better air tank so I can stay under longer to get more stuff and opens more options. It all leads down the path to the end game and is a heck of a lot of fun.
Getting to the stage where you have the aquarium and build the Cyclops makes the smaller things even easier. Which lets you focus on other tasks. Like the plot. The Cyclops does not make you invincible. It just expands your toolkit. Powering the sucker and keeping it afloat (I never noticed they removed the flooding mechanic. loving hell) were small tasks that connected you to it. It's your mobile base and you have your decorations and gear on board. You could always lose it if you were dumb. But the implication is that you would likely die with it. I never found it OP. Sure, you can drive past Reapers and Bonesharks. But lets face facts, you can do that in the Seamoth if you need to get from A to B

The reason I harp on about the Silent Running update is because it is totally incongruous with the rest of the game. The creatures do not behave in a similar way with the Seamoth or Prawn. They just aggro0 or aggro1. Are you telling me that a Boneshark will only attack it because of the cavitation? If it just floated by, surely it would attack anyway? I already mentioned how annoying it is to repair the Cyclops, but the real problem is that there is no challenge involved. It feels so bare.

You are being attacked by Bonesharks, what are your options?

- Keep going and get out of their aggro range and then stop and repair.
-Stop or slow to silent running and hope they go away (they don't)
-Use a noisemaker and keep moving

There is no way to overcome this aside from avoiding the areas you will be attacked in or going to the surface whenever you travel. Almost every other bit of busywork in the game is made easier through gameplay decisions. You can use a aquarium for food, a water purifier, and a load of power options. It gets to the stage where you essentially have no worries other than plot ones. So this annoying busywork everytime you take out the Cyclops is just stupid. It has gotten to the stage where I only use the Seamoth to get around and use the Cyclops at the surface to drop the Prawn where I need it to be. Despite writing a paragraph about it, I am not angry or salty about this. It's just trying to make the point of how ridiculous it is to waste time and money on an addition that was just bolted into the game without much consideration.

Sometimes less is more.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
New update is out: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/ghost-update-released-steam/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NVDF79SjE

Of note are a new giant creature that will murder the player, the cure to the infection, it's possible to deactivate the giant cannon and the Cyclops was actually improved.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

radintorov posted:

Of note are a new giant creature that will murder the player, the cure to the infection, it's possible to deactivate the giant cannon and the Cyclops was actually improved.

Ummm, you forgot THE POOP???

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

radintorov posted:

New update is out: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/ghost-update-released-steam/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NVDF79SjE

here are the cyclops changes in case anyone cares:

Built in lockers increased from 3x4 to 3x6.
Bonehsarks, River Prowlers, and Lava Lizards will no longer attack and damage the Cyclops.
Upgrade console increased from 4 to 6 slots.
Thermal Charger upgrade increased in efficiency.
Shields no longer have a time limit and now just toggleable on and off with a constant power drain tradeoff.
Silent Running ability no longer has a time limit and cooldown. Now toggleable now with a constant power drain tradeoff.
Decoys changed from 3x3s to 2x2s. Copper wire ingredient requirement has also been removed.
Light has been range increased and they no longer affect creature aggression.
Lava Larva show up on Cyclops holographic damage display.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crimson Harvest posted:

Silent Running ability no longer has a time limit and cooldown. Now toggleable now with a constant power drain tradeoff.

That's ironic.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Crimson Harvest posted:

here are the cyclops changes in case anyone cares:

Built in lockers increased from 3x4 to 3x6.
Bonehsarks, River Prowlers, and Lava Lizards will no longer attack and damage the Cyclops.
Upgrade console increased from 4 to 6 slots.
Thermal Charger upgrade increased in efficiency.
Shields no longer have a time limit and now just toggleable on and off with a constant power drain tradeoff.
Decoys changed from 3x3s to 2x2s. Copper wire ingredient requirement has also been removed.
Light has been range increased and they no longer affect creature aggression.
Lava Larva show up on Cyclops holographic damage display.

Now these are all good things! They worked well this time. Code optimization tho... and as everyone here knows, they should be making any new content mostly so other staff has something to do. Who knows what the finances look like but they haven't fired anyone I guess?

Still, could you imagine if the game got proper draw distance on console hardware? I think Subnautica could get shockingly successful if they only could solve that gordian knot.

Least they not adding bad content.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 21, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Was that a flying monster I saw? Noice.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Btw, try non-survival mode if you haven't. Really ups the good parts more than it should.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Ummm, you forgot THE POOP???
I wanted to leave that as a surprise. :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Invalid Validation posted:

Was that a flying monster I saw? Noice.
It's just a skyray, they're all over the place, you just don't usually get a good look at them because they're way up in the sky or fly away as you approach.

They're cute little mothman birds :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Now these are all good things! They worked well this time. Code optimization tho... and as everyone here knows, they should be making any new content mostly so other staff has something to do. Who knows what the finances look like but they haven't fired anyone I guess?

Still, could you imagine if the game got proper draw distance on console hardware? I think Subnautica could get shockingly successful if they only could solve that gordian knot.

Least they not adding bad content.

Even if they did solve the technical issue I would honestly prefer to keep most of the draw distance limitations, maybe make glowing objects visible in the distance but the specifics of the terrain work well being kept in the fog. If your base and some glowing objects showed up as landmarks though, that would help orientation.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So you just interact with the leviathan babbis poop and then you are cured/free to go? Was the whole DNA harvesting/science thing cut? Haven't played, just reading patchnotes/watched the trailer.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dongattack posted:

So you just interact with the leviathan babbis poop and then you are cured/free to go? Was the whole DNA harvesting/science thing cut? Haven't played, just reading patchnotes/watched the trailer.

I'm pretty sure that stuff is for hatching the babies in the first place. Although the transfuser was also cut but that's a separate thing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

I'm pretty sure that stuff is for hatching the babies in the first place. Although the transfuser was also cut but that's a separate thing.

Just played to the new parts in Creative/Freedom now and you grab some plant seeds from various biomes to craft the babbispawnin juice and then touch their poops to get cured. Kinda disappointing, i was really hoping for stuff like using the reasearch props you find, maybe interacting with your giant aquarium stuff, riding some Leviathans while sucking their marrows or something. Maybe they'll expand on it later or maybe the rocket silo building will be more involved.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wonder if that "Immunity to medium sized creatures!" brag means they removed Amp Eel Aggro too now? Because those are medium creatures, after all. A guy can hope right?

An actual indicator about lava larva is nice, though having to stop driving to see it does limit it's practicality.

I am very, very glad they had the foresight to account for players being inside the containment facility though. That sort of thing is really important and is the kind of fix work that doesn't get enough credit in the industry, for all the stumbles these devs have made. I hope they can handle the various timing and trigger clashes the Sunbeam Vs Quarantine gun can have as well so the plot doesn't break (some players have been demanding the 'fix' be it crashing into a mountain like a loving moron if the gun is turned off, on that note :v:)

Now to patch up Experimental and stare at the thermal reactor results with a clipboard and watch again. Considering the last time they said they improved it things went from 50 minute "Parked with your engines off" recharge times for ions, to 300 minutes. (And see if they fixed light sticks to not use power at all like they thought they did months ago)

EDIT: Unrelated comedy. I just got a 1 year old account anniversary badge email from the Unknown world's forums, with a big old "This message has failed our fraud detection checks" from my email service. I don't know why this made me laugh.

Good Edit: Oooh, my 2.2 gig Save, and in turn it stopping to copy/paste my whole save to a temp folder. Is down to 1.05 gigs... Is it sad that "It's ONLY over ONE gigabyte now!" is exciting news?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 22, 2017

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I will never understand why you are so upset about save file size beyond it being an indicator that they don't know how RAM works. Or I guess they're trying to keep system spec requirements down for some dumbshit reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Plek posted:

I will never understand why you are so upset about save file size beyond it being an indicator that they don't know how RAM works. Or I guess they're trying to keep system spec requirements down for some dumbshit reason.

Because they're doing some seriously dumb poo poo with the save files. Read up.

Section Z posted:

I wonder if that "Immunity to medium sized creatures!" brag means they removed Amp Eel Aggro too now? Because those are medium creatures, after all. A guy can hope right?

An actual indicator about lava larva is nice, though having to stop driving to see it does limit it's practicality.

I am very, very glad they had the foresight to account for players being inside the containment facility though. That sort of thing is really important and is the kind of fix work that doesn't get enough credit in the industry, for all the stumbles these devs have made. I hope they can handle the various timing and trigger clashes the Sunbeam Vs Quarantine gun can have as well so the plot doesn't break (some players have been demanding the 'fix' be it crashing into a mountain like a loving moron if the gun is turned off, on that note :v:)

Now to patch up Experimental and stare at the thermal reactor results with a clipboard and watch again. Considering the last time they said they improved it things went from 50 minute "Parked with your engines off" recharge times for ions, to 300 minutes. (And see if they fixed light sticks to not use power at all like they thought they did months ago)

EDIT: Unrelated comedy. I just got a 1 year old account anniversary badge email from the Unknown world's forums, with a big old "This message has failed our fraud detection checks" from my email service. I don't know why this made me laugh.

Good Edit: Oooh, my 2.2 gig Save, and in turn it stopping to copy/paste my whole save to a temp folder. Is down to 1.05 gigs... Is it sad that "It's ONLY over ONE gigabyte now!" is exciting news?

How big is a fresh save file?