Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Is there a 'logic' to what part of the map raiding parties (and other stuff) appear from?

Ie, if the closest town is north, do they appear at the north end of the map? If you're neighboring impassable tiles, are those sides 'safe' from approach?

I'm just asking re: walling things off, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Being tribal in the desert sucks. I wish there was an option to send out hunting partys to bring back muffalo or whatever. I lost my last guys to starvation.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hihohe posted:

Being tribal in the desert sucks. I wish there was an option to send out hunting partys to bring back muffalo or whatever. I lost my last guys to starvation.

There is, you just have to caravan out manually.

I suggest getting that set up camp mod, it lets you temporarily settle on a tiny map with random but realistic resources anywhere outside an existing settlement.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is there any way to prevent nudists from putting on clothing? It's really annoying that they hate clothing, so you tell them to take them off, only for them to wander away and get dressed again.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

Is there any way to prevent nudists from putting on clothing? It's really annoying that they hate clothing, so you tell them to take them off, only for them to wander away and get dressed again.
Make a nudist outfit with all clothes disabled, and assign it to your free spirits.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think there's actually a nudist option available normally specifically for that reason

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Danaru posted:

I think there's actually a nudist option available normally specifically for that reason

Yes this, also it helps teach you what actually counts as clothes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fayk posted:

Is there a 'logic' to what part of the map raiding parties (and other stuff) appear from?

Ie, if the closest town is north, do they appear at the north end of the map? If you're neighboring impassable tiles, are those sides 'safe' from approach?

I'm just asking re: walling things off, etc.

Not that I know of. The only thing that'll stop a raid is a solid mountain on one side. I've heard proximity to villages and such will affect the frequency of caravans tho, not that I've done any extensive testing on that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I wall off any access to my base. Though in current colony, I've found that you can't remove shallow moving water from a river, which will make my defensive setup different than expected... but I'm going to have an inner complete wall with an outer wall supported by turrets and defensive structures, so I can avoid catastrophe via massive warg manhunter packs.

I've noticed that raiders always com from south and east - north is completely mountain, which I've dug into - but I'm nestled very close to the west border and haven't had raiders come from the small northwest corner that's open. Caravans have left through there... but no raids yet. I recently expanded my walls to encompass 4 geo vents

I've also got the "no parties, no weddings" bug... I removed fog to see if there was a 2nd ancient danger, but there's not another cavern to fit one in. Bleh.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Three years in with my current cultist torture experiment colony and I just now got to choose my name/faction. There was a surprising amount of death and destruction when I went to expand my hydroponic food supply and finally stumbled on the ancient danger that was buried at the rear end end of nowhere behind a huge mountain.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nut to Butt posted:

Make a nudist outfit with all clothes disabled, and assign it to your free spirits.

Thank you for answering this question while having that icon.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Three years in with my current cultist torture experiment colony and I just now got to choose my name/faction. There was a surprising amount of death and destruction when I went to expand my hydroponic food supply and finally stumbled on the ancient danger that was buried at the rear end end of nowhere behind a huge mountain.

Yes, the current version seems to have a bug - the ancient danger always is activated when you embark. This, among other things, prevents you from changing the name of your colony until it's dispatched.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

HelloSailorSign posted:

I wall off any access to my base. Though in current colony, I've found that you can't remove shallow moving water from a river, which will make my defensive setup different than expected... but I'm going to have an inner complete wall with an outer wall supported by turrets and defensive structures, so I can avoid catastrophe via massive warg manhunter packs.

I've noticed that raiders always com from south and east - north is completely mountain, which I've dug into - but I'm nestled very close to the west border and haven't had raiders come from the small northwest corner that's open. Caravans have left through there... but no raids yet. I recently expanded my walls to encompass 4 geo vents

I've also got the "no parties, no weddings" bug... I removed fog to see if there was a 2nd ancient danger, but there's not another cavern to fit one in. Bleh.

Is there an easy way to remove fog?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I was playing a no electricity colony and was getting bored so I decided to try the caravan victory. It turns out I was wrong, a 2 year no electricity colony isn't boring, what's boring is having a caravan crawl across the map for hours real time.

For some reason my game just can't handle 3x speed while my whole colony is a caravan. I don't know if that's vanilla or because of a mod, Rumours and Deception or Psychology might do it. It doesn't help that the destination is literally the north pole and my colony was in a southern desert. Still, I'm 2/3 of the way there and then I can say I've done it and never do it again. At least not unless there are some major changes to caravans.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Heffer posted:

Is there an easy way to remove fog?

Turn on Developement mode in the Options, then the third icon at the top of the screen "Open The View Setting" uncheck "Draw Fog".

edit:

You waited one year to eat that thing bear 1! Just as one of the pawns was able to start to train you...

cugel fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 16, 2017

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Does anyone else have stability issues when you have 3+ caravans on the map moving around? Crashes are making it difficult to kill off all the pirate bases on my planet

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did they change potatoes and/or healroot in a17? I haven't played much of this release, and in the same lovely dirt my healroot was ready to harvest before my first potato crop, which I certainly would never expect in an older release.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Apparently I got a little carried away with my rimworld adventure story while at work. Rip

cugel posted:

You waited one year to eat that thing bear 1! Just as one of the pawns was able to start to train you...

The same thing happened to me, except to a terrier. I have since learned to stash all hard drugs in an off-limits room.

Also, if someone has a mental break: binge on drugs, you can barricade the door to the drug room with one wooden wall and it stops them from consuming any drugs. They just wander around with the mental break happening and can't path to any drugs. Easy fix :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Omniblivion posted:

Apparently I got a little carried away with my rimworld adventure story while at work. Rip

What, did you get fired or something? I thought it was entertaining :smith:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

someone should let that mod that tracks major events in the game ghost write a book and throw it up on Amazon for 99 cents, see what happens

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Efexeye posted:

someone should let that mod that tracks major events in the game ghost write a book and throw it up on Amazon for 99 cents, see what happens

What would happen would be a C&D from Tynan, unless they work out an arrangement.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheObserver posted:

What would happen would be a C&D from Tynan, unless they work out an arrangement.

i doubt you can claim ownership over the story an individual game of rimworld tells; it'd obviously need to be edited by a human first

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Tynan doesn't own a Rim-Story anymore than Toady owns Boatmurdered.

And any legal system that says otherwise is one that deserves to be ignored and all the lawyers that help it function should be butchered in the warg shed, after they freeze/starve to death.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Efexeye posted:

Anyone know which mod this is? I've been thinking about a mod like this that saved 1 screenshot at noon each day and then also saved screenshots during major events and kept a running text log so that you could recap your playthroughs later.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

There's an archive mod that logs all notifications, which is useful for me when I forget to check if I'm being seiged or raided.

I think there are non mod screenshot utilities that will take picture every X minutes

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I find myself savescumming with Randy lately. 5 colonists, plague 3, then before the plague wears off, heat wave into raid (tribal, no ac yet).

Ok randy, I get it, you want my colonists to die.

Rather than restarting from scratch, I savescum to 3 other events that are more manageable that don't mandate a full blow out.

edit: if you're newer to RimWorld, I highly recommend savescumming while you get to know the game. You can still learn from mistakes without having to completely restart your tribe.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

beerinator posted:

Anyone know which mod this is? I've been thinking about a mod like this that saved 1 screenshot at noon each day and then also saved screenshots during major events and kept a running text log so that you could recap your playthroughs later.

it's not updated for a17 unfortunately: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858563557

Omniblivion posted:

I find myself savescumming with Randy lately. 5 colonists, plague 3, then before the plague wears off, heat wave into raid (tribal, no ac yet).

Ok randy, I get it, you want my colonists to die.

Rather than restarting from scratch, I savescum to 3 other events that are more manageable that don't mandate a full blow out.

edit: if you're newer to RimWorld, I highly recommend savescumming while you get to know the game. You can still learn from mistakes without having to completely restart your tribe.

you can also just tab out and close the window then pick up a little while before you got hosed, rolling the dice on a better event popping

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Efexeye posted:

you can also just tab out and close the window then pick up a little while before you got hosed, rolling the dice on a better event popping

Yeah, I usually let it play out to see how hard I would have gotten hosed, and how I can make my base better. Then I load the last safe autosave.

I usually find the "start" of games the most interesting (IE: stellaris) and get bored mid-late game. But Rimworld is the exact opposite; the start sucks, but mid-late game is where it gets super interesting when your pawns can actually keep up with what you want to do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
By the time you're rerolling for softer events in the first 2 or 3 years you might as well play with Cass and switch to Randy when your headcount is straining against Cass's limit or the clockwork raids are feeling silly.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
So uh... I just went into the scenario editor and hit the randomize button a few times.

These are hilariously broken. It's pretty funny.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Fayk posted:

So uh... I just went into the scenario editor and hit the randomize button a few times.

These are hilariously broken. It's pretty funny.

My favorite one I saw on Reddit was one colonists, unending flash storms, planet killer, and 300 golden component assembly benches

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Is there a recommended mods list floating around somewhere? I'm coming back to this after not playing since Alpha 7 or something, I dunno, and all my mods are obviously garbage now. What do I NEED?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

These ones are required IMHO
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818773962 HugsLib - Needed for other mods. (I'm not even sure if any of my installed mods need it, but I understand that I could need it, so I have it)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=857164561 Stack Merger - I loving hate how they leave small stacks of resources everywhere.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=936562361 JT Replace Walls - Upgrading walls from wood is no longer a chore.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776679895 Hand me that Brick - Allows you to have a dedicated hauler, as now they'll haul resources to blueprints so your skilled workers can focus on building.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=839849806 RimHair Styles Merged - More hair styles. Vitally important.

These are more optional
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=942690136 Quarry - I really dislike the scan and drill thing going on in the base game.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1095331978 Prepare Landing - It's nice to be able to say "I want Granite and marble, and also at least 30 days of growing in a boreal forest, plus a river"
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=948572545 Trading Spot - I will admit, I die before I get to use this one, but I would like to make a center for traders, I dunno why, but it really bothers me how they just wander around my base.

The General fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 18, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the reason they are allowed to wander your base is just because people set up "oops" traps to hurt and then rescue traders to grind rep or some similar stupid crap if you allow it to be designated. if you just promise to yourself that you're not going to force traders to go into a heated area in order to make them pass out from heatstroke so you can 'rescue' them and steal their guns then it really only makes more sense to have a designated market zone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Also because they decide to set up shop next to the barn way off to the side, instead of the loving roofed over supply stockpile I mean Christ guys it's right there, there's food and horseshoes and a table and it's right near the entrance but NOOOOO you've got to trample through my fields to hang out in the rear end end of nowhere because one of you wants to leer at my chickens.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the reason they are allowed to wander your base is just because people set up "oops" traps to hurt and then rescue traders to grind rep or some similar stupid crap if you allow it to be designated. if you just promise to yourself that you're not going to force traders to go into a heated area in order to make them pass out from heatstroke so you can 'rescue' them and steal their guns then it really only makes more sense to have a designated market zone.

"Thanks for making the trek out here, guys - hey, you mind standing over by that giant hunk of metal with the slowly expanding patch of dead earth? We, uh...use it as a landmark."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Thanks for coming, if you would just step into our welcoming chamber for the customary greetings ceremony, thanks. What's that? Oh it's not for us, we'll be right outside. Won't take a moment.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Thanks for coming, if you would just step into our welcoming chamber for the customary greetings ceremony, thanks. What's that? Oh it's not for us, we'll be right outside. Won't take a moment.

You reminded me that for all the vast wildlife the game has, it doesn't let you train mules for battle.

That makes me sad. :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bhodi posted:

TheObserver posted:

You reminded me that for all the vast wildlife the game has, it doesn't let you train mules for battle.

That makes me sad. :(

??? ?

What's the reference here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This game will turn you into a monster if you let it, that's why Mass Graves isn't in my Mod List.