Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

This is great! I love a good struggle stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The music in the first level of a game is the most important piece of music in a game by far. Especially in Silver Surfer. :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The music in the first level of a game is the most important piece of music in a game by far. Especially in Silver Surfer. :v:

It's true - I was just griping that the new Blaster Master game changed the level 2 music after doing a faithful remix of the 1st level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnwRFMo6D0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAn5nBwboI

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Code Jockey posted:

So speaking of this, the other day I was browsing for sticks on ebay, because I still lust after the various Micomsoft sticks. I'm going to have a friend of mine make me a knockoff of one of them, so in advance of him building me the box I ordered the hardware off ebay.

All of it got here, and he's still working on plans for the box, and I was feeling impatient, and in the mood to play Neo Geo games.

... so this happened. It's using one of those cheap zero delay USB encoders, a Sanwa JLF, some cheap buttons, and a cards against humanity shipping box. It works remarkably well, except the buttons are WAY too stiff. Gotta put different springs in 'em, and wire up the LEDs inside them so it's pretty.

When he builds me the fancy stick I'm probably going to go with some nicer Sanwa buttons, but I like having a set of cheapie buttons I can just throw into random things.

e. Also I cannot stress enough how much better it is to play Neo Geo games on a stick like this than a gamepad. I was doing so much better at Blazing Star than I normally do.

Yeah, something like this is what I want. But I want it to look good and not just using a cardboard box. Plus I want to have the Pi itself sit inside the box and not shake around. That means it needs mounting brackets.

Two questions for you.

1: Can I get a copy of the button layout you used?
2: How big did you mark the hole for the Joystick? Wait, Is that even big enough for the stick to work right?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 14, 2017

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

No but that is an awesome video and a great channel.

Bonus Sonic music opinion: Basslines in Sonic 2 are amazing. You can tell the composer was a bassist. I'm not into Japanese music or game music in general, but that poo poo is good.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Videogamedunkey just gave Sonic mania a 5/5.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, something like this is what I want. But I want it to look good and not just using a cardboard box. Plus I want to have the Pi itself sit inside the box and not shake around. That means it needs mounting brackets.

Two questions for you.

2: How big did you mark the hole for the Joystick? Wait, Is that even big enough for the stick to work right?

If you're comfortable messing around with Retropie, it should recognize the official Neo Geo X stick Tommo put out. These sticks are awesome because despite the new logo they're in practice just a straight up Neo Geo stick but with a USB cord. They also work on PS3 and on any PS4 game with legacy support (so like all the SNK anthologies that are on PS2, Garou, King of Fighters XIV, etc.).

Keep an eye on this Amazon link as I've seen them go on sale for $29.99.

If Retropie doesn't notice them there's good troubleshooting here for what cfg to edit/etc.:

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6276/neogeo-x-arcade-stick/3

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Code Jockey posted:

So speaking of this, the other day I was browsing for sticks on ebay, because I still lust after the various Micomsoft sticks. I'm going to have a friend of mine make me a knockoff of one of them, so in advance of him building me the box I ordered the hardware off ebay.

All of it got here, and he's still working on plans for the box, and I was feeling impatient, and in the mood to play Neo Geo games.

... so this happened. It's using one of those cheap zero delay USB encoders, a Sanwa JLF, some cheap buttons, and a cards against humanity shipping box. It works remarkably well, except the buttons are WAY too stiff. Gotta put different springs in 'em, and wire up the LEDs inside them so it's pretty.

When he builds me the fancy stick I'm probably going to go with some nicer Sanwa buttons, but I like having a set of cheapie buttons I can just throw into random things.

e. Also I cannot stress enough how much better it is to play Neo Geo games on a stick like this than a gamepad. I was doing so much better at Blazing Star than I normally do.

This reminds me of the story my dad tells me about when he was learning to drum he used a set of textbooks and buckets with inner tubing stretched across the top.

This probably works better as a fight stick than that did as a drumkit though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Upon dissection, Green Hill Zone is a weird fuckin' tune.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Upon dissection, Green Hill Zone is a weird fuckin' tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_gJwXxshQ

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

Have you noticed that the machine's control buttons are labeled like an arcade stick for a 360 yet?

goddammit

I'm still mad about the stretched Simpsons game

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not retro, but made for us: the new sonic game is really, really good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's insanely good

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My personal favorite opening song is from Axelay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNng2ir5wU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Two questions for you.

1. I'm not who you were asking, but slagcoin is the resource you want.
2. 20mm is the size hole you want.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/896928506797576193

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/896928750201339904

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You'd think all they'd need to do for a negative review is say, "Somebody remade Night Trap!"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm surprised he has time to bitch instead of refunding money from my order cancellation from a month ago.

Don't use Limited Run games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't need their crappy remake anyway, I already have a Japanese copy of Night Trap for the 3DO. Came with the system when I bought it, along with other masterpieces like The Daedalus Encounter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Usually I think you're a good poster™. One of the best, even, but I will fight you if you don't get Sonic Mania and find out what you're missing.

haha thanks! You are one of the people that I always agree with your posts and I don't even realize it until I look at the username (I browse with avatars off).

I have $60 in eShop credits so I will get it today!

You know what's one of the weirdest things I like about Sonic Adventure? Having to run around a hotel and city to get to each stage. Yeah I know the horrible Sonic 2006 did it but in 1999 it blew my mind and I loved just roaming around and stuff.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I managed to get my own copy, but only because I watched the second release like I do when I'm sniping eBay auctions :sigh: Not looking forward to ever wanting to make a purchase from them again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You know what's one of the weirdest things I like about Sonic Adventure? Having to run around a hotel and city to get to each stage. Yeah I know the horrible Sonic 2006 did it but in 1999 it blew my mind and I loved just roaming around and stuff.

It was the style at the time, after Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie did it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

You'd think all they'd need to do for a negative review is say, "Somebody remade Night Trap!"

Would this be a good time to bring up ethics in gaming journalism?

... no?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never thought about it with Mario 64 but yeah I loved that too. Though there wasn't too much to explore.

Mario Oddessy is going to blow my head off

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Perfect Dark did something similar as well, I always liked that one the most. Probably for the fun you could have in the shooting range, especially after wedging the crate in the door. I was easily amused as a kid.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't think they're at all similar; Carrington Institute is completely optional, and the game proper has a traditional stage-to-stage level setup with nothing in-between. Like, it's still pretty drat fun to explore Carrington Institute, but it's no Peach's Castle or Gruntilda's Lair, where you have to explore it to reach the next mission.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the tiny open world areas in Sonic Adventure because it always seemed like there was some mysterious poo poo hidden somewhere that I wasn't figuring out. Like you can steal a chao egg from that store in the city. There's a huge empty forest for some reason.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Breadallelogram posted:

I liked the tiny open world areas in Sonic Adventure because it always seemed like there was some mysterious poo poo hidden somewhere that I wasn't figuring out. Like you can steal a chao egg from that store in the city. There's a huge empty forest for some reason.

That was the key with games like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazzoie for me. They both had massive hub areas that had hidden secrets all over them. If you toucht he right wall you find something. Or if you progress far enough int he game suddenly that area will be different.

Not enough games do that anymore.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I totally get that buying from LRG is a pain and they really need to realize that high profile remakes of classics are going to sell way better than some mediocre indie game.

That said I've never had a problem getting anything I want from them, including Wonder Boy and Night Trap. It's seriously not hard to set a reminder for a few minutes before, log in, open the store page, and then just go through the ordering process at the same speed I would elsewhere. If you were a big tryhard youtube man or streamer why wouldn't you just do that or you-know just buy it digitally.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Been struggling to figure out how to get real Gamecube controllers working on PC. Has anyone here had any experience getting either

1) The official Wii U Gamecube to USB converter
2) The Mayflash Gamecube to USB adapter

To work on PC? I think my specific use case needs 1 to be further converted to XInput like x360ce?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know people have mentioned it here, but if you have any love for 16-bit sonic games, or even Chaotix, you owe it to yourself to get Sonic Mania on whatever modern platform you have. It is literally the Sonic 4 we have all been waiting for since 1994

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

anothergod posted:

Been struggling to figure out how to get real Gamecube controllers working on PC. Has anyone here had any experience getting either

To work on PC? I think my specific use case needs 1 to be further converted to XInput like x360ce?

I have the Mayflash adapter. It has a switch on the back: I believe it is directinput rather than xinput, but it works perfectly with Dolphin, which is the only thing I've used it for on the PC.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know people have mentioned it here, but if you have any love for 16-bit sonic games, or even Chaotix, you owe it to yourself to get Sonic Mania on whatever modern platform you have. It is literally the Sonic 4 we have all been waiting for since 1994

I'd love to but they delayed the version I preordered!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I'm surprised he has time to bitch instead of refunding money from my order cancellation from a month ago.

Don't use Limited Run games.

If you do manage to order a game from them they gently caress it up anyway. I've never heard of a company ship so many games with loose discs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got it on my Switch yesterday!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I got it on my Switch yesterday!

:hfive: hell yesssss!!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Yeah, count me among the many who purchased Sonic Mania yesterday and am quite satisfied with it. The only gripes I've got are that I still don't like the blue sphere special levels, and the first half of the Robot Sonic fight was pretty kludgey.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The blue sphere levels handle very closely to the genesis versions in my opinion. Which is good if you're used to them, probably not if you're not

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Hey guys, so I recently decided due to personal stuff going on in my life and lack of use these days that I'm gonna sell my retro game collection. I figured I'd give you all a heads up in case you're interested... right now, I've just got PS2 and PS3 stuff for sale, but I'm going to be selling my Gameboy, Super Famicom and N64 ccollections as well. I'll post again in the thread as I put up new threads in SA-Mart.

PS2 games and console
PS3 games

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

anothergod posted:

Breadallelogram posted:

I have the Mayflash adapter. It has a switch on the back: I believe it is directinput rather than xinput, but it works perfectly with Dolphin, which is the only thing I've used it for on the PC.

I too have the Mayflash adapter, it works great with PC. If you want to use it with just any game, you can switch it to PC and use x360ce (for a little bit I was playing rocket league like this, two stage trigger was great for accelerate/boost). If you're using Dolphin, you can switch it to Wii U and yep it works perfectly. (It'll also work set to PC but I think you have to map it manually then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Trying to track down a mystery:

https://twitter.com/mistydemeo/status/897888797924311040

What is the game on that screen? We know it's for the Wii and we know that the developer is in North Korea under the name Nosotek.

• Locked thread