Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I strongly dislike Chromie. It bothers me that she's the only character in the game that can completely nuke you from offscreen because the range on her abilities are so long, and her skill-shots don't even seem particularly hard to land. The closest equivalent I can think of is Li Ming but I think she takes significantly more skill to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Chromie's almost as gankable as Jaina, and unlike Jaina, she doesn't instantly win 5v5s. She's one of the lowest winrate characters in the game for a reason.

She is unfair, but that's why she's so popular. I don't mind her but I think I only play against incompetent Chromies. But lots of players hate the fact that you can't tell where the dragon's going to land. I'm ok with irritating abilities on mediocre characters, but that's not something everyone feels.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

Chromie's almost as gankable as Jaina, and unlike Jaina, she doesn't instantly win 5v5s. She's one of the lowest winrate characters in the game for a reason.

She is unfair, but that's why she's so popular. I don't mind her but I think I only play against incompetent Chromies. But lots of players hate the fact that you can't tell where the dragon's going to land. I'm ok with irritating abilities on mediocre characters, but that's not something everyone feels.

I played against a Chromie last night that had 2x the total hero damage of her team's tracer (who was 2nd), so I'm a little salty about that. Yeah, her dragon in particular is really dumb. It seems like the kind of ability that should have a longer build-up to give you time to dodge but it's so fast that I hardly even count it as a skill-shot.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

PantsBandit posted:

It seems like the kind of ability that should have a longer build-up to give you time to dodge but it's so fast that I hardly even count it as a skill-shot.
It's a 1.5 second delay from when she casts it, which is one of the longer ones in the game. Unless you're trying to dodge it on reaction, which is definitely not possible.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

She also shows up on the minimap when she casts dragon, no matter where she is.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I strongly dislike Chromie. It bothers me that she's the only character in the game that can completely nuke you from offscreen because the range on her abilities are so long, and her skill-shots don't even seem particularly hard to land. The closest equivalent I can think of is Li Ming but I think she takes significantly more skill to play.

How is Chromie easier to play than Li Ming? Li Ming has very low and forgiving cooldowns and, most importantly, a very safe mobility skill that lets her get away with bad positioning. A Chromie with poor positioning can blow up a squishy, sure, but she is just hosed if the enemy team is competent, unless she outplays them with clever trap usage and/or goes Bye Bye, which removes her from the fight anyway. A lovely Li Ming can still spam orbs, smash her keyboard when she gets an assist and contribute in a fight. Li Ming also has no proper cast time on her regular abilities unlike Chromie.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Eraflure posted:

How is Chromie easier to play than Li Ming? Li Ming has very low and forgiving cooldowns and, most importantly, a very safe mobility skill that lets her get away with bad positioning. A Chromie with poor positioning can blow up a squishy, sure, but she is just hosed if the enemy team is competent, unless she outplays them with clever trap usage and/or goes Bye Bye, which removes her from the fight anyway. A lovely Li Ming can still spam orbs, smash her keyboard when she gets an assist and contribute in a fight. Li Ming also has no proper cast time on her regular abilities unlike Chromie.

I was more referencing the aspect of those characters that let them throw bullshit in from the fog. Li Ming can do it too but she has to measure out her orbs to maximize damage and make sure she has an open path between her and the target. Chromie can just stand behind a wall and nuke you with dragons while you're fighting her teammates.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Chromie is cuter than Li-Ming that's why she is better

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Chromie's skill shots don't get absorbed by random minions

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Try playing Chromie and tell me that her abilities are easy to land. Her skill shots are the easiest to juke in the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I would if these fuckers would put Chromie on sale already... but no, it's Artanis, a hero that already comes free with LotV next week.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Bought my first heroes yesterday on a whim since I saw that kharazim and brightwing were on a discount. I played kharazim last week when he was on rotation so I knew that I liked him and brightwing seemed fun so I took a chance.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PantsBandit posted:

Azmodan was blowing people up from excessive ranges before Chromie came along. Not with the same amount of proficiency, mind you, but still.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Chromie had some of the lowest hp in the game. Bring a ganker and she's got nothing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Star posted:

Bought my first heroes yesterday on a whim since I saw that kharazim and brightwing were on a discount. I played kharazim last week when he was on rotation so I knew that I liked him and brightwing seemed fun so I took a chance.
Brightwing is a boss. Does way more healing than you'd ever believe, like Lucio in overwatch, and phase shift is way stronger than you expect at first. Extremely strong hero, would be my favorite healer if Rehgar didn't exist.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fuzz posted:

Chromie had some of the lowest hp in the game. Bring a ganker and she's got nothing.

Yeah, aren't the only heroes with less Tracer, Probius, Murky, and the non-Olaf Vikings? And she basically has no escape aside from hoping you run over a trap or taking Bye Bye! at 11 which A) reduces her range since she's not taking Reaching and B) is basically dying but without feeding over XP (E: or taking Time Out if you trust your team to be able to secure your escape within that 7 seconds).

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Brightwing is a boss. Does way more healing than you'd ever believe, like Lucio in overwatch, and phase shift is way stronger than you expect at first. Extremely strong hero, would be my favorite healer if Rehgar didn't exist.

I noticed that. I think I got like 100k healed in my first match without really know what to do. I had some issues remembering to use my damage spell while fighting, think it was because I tried to keep as many as possible in the healing circle, use pixie dust and navigate at the same time. But I am really happy I bought her.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Also temporal loop, which not only keeps you from securing a kill but will put you right in the middle of her team so that they can all dog-pile you.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chromie is top-tier in terms of design and balance, with multiple viable builds and plenty of counterplay :colbert:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Temporal loop has to be one of the worst heroics in the game. Chromie's heroics are both so bad, I don't think anyone else comes close in terms of not power spiking at 10 (8 in her case I guess).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 15, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Slowing Sands is incredible, what are you on?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

Temporal loop has to be one of the worst heroics in the game. Chromie's heroics are both so bad, I don't think anyone else comes close in terms of not power spiking at 10 (8 in her case I guess).

Temporal loop takes some learning on how to use but it's a get a combo in free card or a secure one kill from the retreating enemy team card depending, it's not bad.

Slowing Sands is straight up OP on many maps and makes her skill shots exceedingly easy to land.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, like, I take Sands in most situations because it has applications beyond "this fucker is within range, they get deleted now", but if you are against a comp with burstable targets and no Cleanse, Loop is also very good.

(FWIW I actually don't like it as an escape/survival tool because most of the time if I'm trying to disengage, three seconds is way too long.)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dietrich posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Neither does he :v:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

No Wave posted:

You can dislike a hero or ult without it being inherently bad.
Slowing sands is AMAZING in most maps which makes temporal loop seem worse, but it's a free kill button that often causes panic.

Edit: wrote a big post defending the really good ult instead of the okay ult competing with it.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 15, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I prefer Slands because approximately only three people on the planet understand the timing of Loop (despite there being a little clock display showing the exact time that Loop would activate). Using Loop almost universally winds up with half of the clowns on my team whiffing their big bad skillshots by being a second off, and even if I nail my Double Dragon Combo and get the kill anyways, that's several abilities that are now on cooldown because nobody can get their drat timing right. Sure, most of the time Slands is only there for the sake of zone control because the enemy team is smart enough to stay out of it, but that's still useful as gently caress considering that it means you've completely sealed off an approach.

Also Loop can be Cleansed and that really loving sucks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Power Bottom posted:

Also Loop can be Cleansed and that really loving sucks.

Also, Sylvanas and Leoric can both dodge it with their movement abilities, as can Tracer with Recall.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I've fallen in love with Azmo recently after spending the majority of my time in hots tanking or playing TLV, and man is it fun to have full sieging wrath stacks+ black pool max-range intergalactic dunks landing on people from many screens away. If you really want to kick it up though, comboing with chromie is hilarious. Enemy team sets all up on objective, ie go sit in a barrel like fish while the artillery starts double dunking on multiple targets. Nothing like outright killing their valla and medic and all they ever saw was the fog of war and a facefull of dunk.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PantsBandit posted:

Also temporal loop, which not only keeps you from securing a kill but will put you right in the middle of her team so that they can all dog-pile you.

It's also an Ult to secure one kill which is really temperamental and highly situational. This vs, say, Sylv's mind control where she can just reliably run them directly back into her team make it a loving worthless ult, especially when Slowing Sands is goddamn amazing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Fuzz posted:

It's also an Ult to secure one kill which is really temperamental and highly situational. This vs, say, Sylv's mind control where she can just reliably run them directly back into her team make it a loving worthless ult, especially when Slowing Sands is goddamn amazing.

This is wrong and your comment about mind control is doubly wrong.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If enemies have the escapes to get out of Loop, don't take Loop. It is a secured kill that keep Chromie safe as opposed to Sylvanas' KILL ME sign that half the time your team doesn't even jump on to help. Sands is really, really good on a number of maps and comps, but sometimes you just want to delete that Jaina.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Both Chromie's ults are good

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gustav posted:

Both Chromie's ults are good

Yup. Loop is more situational, but both are definitely useful in the right situation.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Leoric's March of the Black King is the worst heroic

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fried Watermelon posted:

Leoric's March of the Black King is the worst heroic

Eh, it has uses, like if the folks you wanna catch in entomb can easily escape or your team has a ton of CC but not the damage to follow through, plus it heals leo for a decent chunk. I still prefer entomb 90% of the time.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Triple Tap is the worst heroic, in that it's worse than Precision Strike at literally everything so there is no reason to ever take it. March of the Black King f.ex. still has value, since what it does is very different from Entomb. Sometimes you just want more dps and self-sustain at all costs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gustav posted:

Triple Tap is the worst heroic, in that it's worse than Precision Strike at literally everything so there is no reason to ever take it. March of the Black King f.ex. still has value, since what it does is very different from Entomb. Sometimes you just want more dps and self-sustain at all costs.

Triple Tap was real good in the double game speed double damage show matches.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
If entomb doesnt make sense I don't take leo. Like if they can get out of the tomb, they can definitely get out of the way of march, and if you want a sustain ult take dehaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

If entomb doesnt make sense I don't take leo. Like if they can get out of the tomb, they can definitely get out of the way of march, and if you want a sustain ult take dehaka.

You're not always last pick though. And if you are, Dehaka isn't an option.