Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rise poster! :neckbeard: I would never take that down either.

Also, Kawakami best Confidant. Her Rank 10 really is the best, but her other ones later on really do save you a lot of time during the evenings. Expensive, yes, but money shouldn't be too much of a problem later in game by the time you unlock those ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

That’s clearly not true.

Dude, look at your room. Just look at it!

And meanwhile I'm just trying to envision Sojiro's reaction to seeing a maid troop upstairs past him every few days. :psyduck:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

TheDavies posted:

Dude, look at your room. Just look at it!

And meanwhile I'm just trying to envision Sojiro's reaction to seeing a maid troop upstairs past him every few days. :psyduck:

Presumably, our lad here has the common sense to wait until Sojiro takes off before making the call.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arist posted:

Oh, I like this chick.

... Why. :psyduck:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually, I think Sojiro leaves early the days you invite Kawakami over.

And why does everyone seem so... weirded out? It's not like Maaku invited Kawakami over to... *ahem* 'handle a broom', so to say.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Inviting your homeroom teacher over while she's in a job that probably involves prostitution at some level is creepy as hell

On an entirely different note, Ann's slink is pretty good, even if it feels like our protagonist isn't really doing much of anything in it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because she's loving evil and it's amazing! I was considering replacing "chick" with "bitch" just to send the proper message there but I thought better of it.

Like, I find her pure petty selfishness kind of hilarious and refreshing.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

Actually, I think Sojiro leaves early the days you invite Kawakami over.

And why does everyone seem so... weirded out? It's not like Maaku invited Kawakami over to... *ahem* 'handle a broom', so to say. The most intimate thing that happens in this link is the rank 10 perk, :words:
Jesus loving christ, dude.

1. What's happening here essentially amounts to blackmail. Maaku may be paying money, but he now has the power to ruin Kawakami's life at any time if she doesn't do things for him.
2. Even if nothing explicitly sexual happens, Maaku is paying a woman twice his age to play-act being entirely submissive to him.
3. And oh yeah, there's the loving sexual undertones with a woman twice his age, whom he sees nearly every day in a public setting, and who already has a professional relationship with him that isn't supposed to be hosed with.

Do not even try to defend this. Also, stop posting spoilers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Firstly, I apologize for the spoilers, which have been excised.

Secondly, this is one of my favorite links in the game, both gameplay-wise and story-wise. I may have been a bit hung-ho because of prior knowledge of all the perks as well as how it unfolds. So I wasn't actually defending something like this happening in real life, I meant it more as a "Don't worry, it gets better" kind of thing.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
While I will not spoil things and have no intention to, Kawakami's Link is really good, in terms of content and relationship to respective Tarot; possibly best in game for me, but I struggle with that between this and others. But I'm not going to go to bat for how it comes about, and I was just as worried at the beginning as some of you must be.

Ann's S-Link is... interesting, but ultimately not one of my favorites, even though it definitely is the best Lovers S-Link in the Persona games. Also:

Arist posted:

Later in the day, we head on over to Shi-oh goddammit, again?

The cunning-est spy, like unto the very shadows! Holmes himself is no match! :3:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You'd never suspect Makoto was trying to be covert. It's the perfect strategy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Really Pants posted:

You'd never suspect Makoto was trying to be covert. It's the perfect strategy.

If the best way to hide is in plain sight then the super best strategy is to be obvious as gently caress. So stupid it's brilliant.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Ohhh boy. This goddamn skill. Fun fact! 'Negotiation' doesn't actually refer to what you think it does. Crocodile Tears has absolutely no bearing on the Join/Item/Money options that you'd normally think of as 'negotiation'.

No, what it does is lower the amount of money a demon asks for when holding someone hostage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's what I suspected it did, seeing as how that's the only occasion a Shadow will ask for something.

Of course, that also makes it probably the single most useless Confidant ability in the game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

That's what I suspected it did, seeing as how that's the only occasion a Shadow will ask for something.

Of course, that also makes it probably the single most useless Confidant ability in the game.

Considering you can go the entire loving game without being held up by a shadow because it's so loving precise on how it activates.
Which, for those not in the know (I can't remember if this has been discussed or not previously in the LP)

A. You have to have a PARTY MEMBER (Not the MC, but I might be wrong on this) be hit by an attack that hits a weakness/crit that knocks them down.
B. Be knocked into critical HP by said attack (Easier for this to happen on higher difficulties, but more often than not it will just outright kill them)
and C. The shadow has to take initiative to take them hostage.

If all of these happen, congrats, you get an achievement and you are given the option to give into the shadow's demands, tell them to gently caress off and have your party member be killed outright or, the smart option, USE THE NETWORK SERVICES. This summons someone in the nexus of the multiverse to completely make everything past the knockdown/critical HP and bypass negotiations completely and making the entire loving thing pointless. Seriously, I only saw this late on my playthrough towards the end of the game. Had the internet not been making guides on how this poo poo was happening, I doubt I wouldn't have known this was even a thing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Me and two other friends all doing concurrent playthroughs all didn't know hostage taking was a thing until the LP mentioned it. You need to be the unluckiest bastard alive, or actively trying, to actually get someone taken hostage.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Materant posted:

Me and two other friends all doing concurrent playthroughs all didn't know hostage taking was a thing until the LP mentioned it. You need to be the unluckiest bastard alive, or actively trying, to actually get someone taken hostage.

Yeah, it's easily the rarest mechanic in Persona 5 considering it even gets a forced tutorial about how to handle it. Maybe fusion accidents are rarer but those are mentioned at passing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Having hostage be any more common that it already is would make it annoying.

The only reason people get hung up over it is because it's tied to a trophy.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ApplesandOranges posted:

Having hostage be any more common that it already is would make it annoying.

The only reason people get hung up over it is because it's tied to a trophy.

It's less that and more that without the trophy half the playerbase wouldn't even know the mechanic existed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, better a nigh-useless skill than one that's actively working against you, which was my feeling on Ryuji's goddamn instant kill one. It's virtually never useful in actual palaces due to the level requirement, which means it only triggers in Mementos... except that I normally want to get into fights in Mementos because I'm hunting for drops or specific Personas. That lovely skill mean you cannot ambush anything, because doing so will just kill it and only give a random Persona card.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Makoto would be a much better spy here if she figured out how to remove that enormous dialogue bubble attached to her head.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Going back to the Teacher/Maid arc, I thought she was going to (or eventually will) tell our fearless protagonist why she's in this mess in the first place. Until I know that or this arc gets more creepy/ridiculous, I abstain from making any judgement on her. I can only feel sorry for her for now.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally I think most (not all) of the confidants come off as pretty sympathetic all things considered. Kawakami's is one of those, but we get into that when it happens.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

One of the bigger ideas this game pushes is that appearances aren't always what they seem, and it's absolutely true for Kawakami. Her S Link is legitimately one of the better ones in the game, so hopefully we'll see more of it soon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Of all of the Tarot Cards, I would never have equated this one with Temperance. :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 16, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kemix posted:

Personally I think most (not all) of the confidants come off as pretty sympathetic all things considered. Kawakami's is one of those, but we get into that when it happens.
That's partially because of this:

ChaosArgate posted:

One of the bigger ideas this game pushes is that appearances aren't always what they seem, and it's absolutely true for Kawakami. Her S Link is legitimately one of the better ones in the game, so hopefully we'll see more of it soon.
And partially because because the other big theme is gently caress Society, which produces a lot of easy to sympathize with underdog s-links.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Of all of the Tarot Cards, I would never have equated this one with Temperance. :psyduck:

A lot of the Confidants in this game seem to be based more on the reversals of the tarot, rather than their traditional meaning, at least initially.

Oh, a probation officer is what Sojiro is, right? Not some kind of actual official?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Huh, with all these people raving about this link I honestly didn't think it was that great.

And the Slack off skill we get at this level seems to almost never trigger, making it pretty useless I found.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Slack off seems to trigger on specific dates, like Ryuji's invitation to stake out the restaurant in his confidant.

We just got the temperance arcana but I'm not sure how it might differ symbolically from the original card. I guess for this one they didn't have any clever ideas. The lady pouring water seems awfully dainty and has her leg raised in an untempered way of showing her emotions, I suppose?

And while I'm no expert on the Japanese legal system, it seems "probation officer" in this context is some sort of second legal guardian who takes care of you and reports to a judge/some sort of officer while you're on probation. Apparently it's a volunteer service that's unpaid as we learned from the tv quiz, which means Sojiro (who told you in the car ride early on that he accepted you 'cause he already got paid) is either taking money under the table or lied about the reason he's taking you in.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Deltasquid posted:

And while I'm no expert on the Japanese legal system, it seems "probation officer" in this context is some sort of second legal guardian who takes care of you and reports to a judge/some sort of officer while you're on probation. Apparently it's a volunteer service that's unpaid as we learned from the tv quiz, which means Sojiro (who told you in the car ride early on that he accepted you 'cause he already got paid) is either taking money under the table or lied about the reason he's taking you in.

Well, we already know Sojiro's a lot softer than he pretends to be, so him going "I only accepted you because I got paid" and that being a lie seems perfectly in-character for what we've seen so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rogue 7 posted:

Japan doesn't give a poo poo about underage drinking. I can never recall anyone actually asking to see ID when I lived there, and you can just buy all kinds of booze down at the local corner store.

Don't you think the joke would be funnier about them panicking about something that no-one really cares about at a 'bouncer checking suspicious IDs at the door' level like they think?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It bugs me that Kawakami's cut-ins use her teacher hair when she's in maid mode.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

We just got the temperance arcana but I'm not sure how it might differ symbolically from the original card. I guess for this one they didn't have any clever ideas. The lady pouring water seems awfully dainty and has her leg raised in an untempered way of showing her emotions, I suppose?

Yeah, the lady/angel in the standard imagery is very calm and serene as she pours, but this one's jumping in the air and shouting. I guess that's it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm just gonna say, Kawakami's "cute maid" face is kind of creepy. It really is.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Sojiro isn't getting paid by the government, but the MC's parents have provided money to take care of him with.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Montegoraon posted:

Sojiro isn't getting paid by the government, but the MC's parents have provided money to take care of him with.

Glad Sojiro is pocketing that money instead of letting me buy my 50 buck juices with it.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Glad Sojiro is pocketing that money instead of letting me buy my 50 buck juices with it.

Earning your own cash for fancy placenta drinks builds character :colbert:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, he does feed you... with food he cooks for his coffee shop. So he spends the money on his business in the process of taking care of you. Also, he makes you work for him without pay. He's probably your 6th or 7th shadiest confidant.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Presumably he takes the cash as rent for you commandeering his shop's attic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah that doesn't sound shady at all, like, you're getting room and board from him and the occasional free meal, the least you can do is help out every now and again.