Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

aniviron posted:

Pictured: The infinite magazines that every character magically generates on their person in this game.

hmm sure seems like there's a scope on that bad boy...mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Linstar posted:

Do the math. Uzi beats ump in ttk. Smgs in this game aren't very good. Their niche is that you can move while you shoot and that they are decently accurate in 3rd person. Both shotguns and ARs outperform the ump close range.

I've said it many times, but the only time smgs win fights are when the other player makes a mistake and misses.

This is of course assuming you hit your shots. Personally I'd rather learn to hit my shots with an AR than rely on other player being a potato.

Edit: This being said, a gun is better than another, isn't really a big deal in this game. The difference in dps is minuscule and probably more down to lag and hitting shots than anything else. Pretty much every gun is lethal. Hit your shots and you will kill.

I don't know about that. If you are hitting their head, sure, but body shots the UMP is going to win at close range.

I got destroyed in this fight by the UMP. I was doing burst fire with a comp on my M16, and lost. I put at least 6 bullets into him if not 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5oJhDSDjk

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

I don't know about that. If you are hitting their head, sure, but body shots the UMP is going to win at close range.

I got destroyed in this fight by the UMP. I was doing burst fire with a comp on my M16, and lost. I put at least 6 bullets into him if not 9.

You hit 2 maybe 3 bullets in that clip, it's hard to tell. Most of them missed or hit the railing and your last two may have never even actually gone off because you were dead.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I like to use the UMP to just poo poo bullets at someone and then when they go prone or otherwise take cover, I yank out a rifle as I advance and end them. I'm not super good at shooting.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hamelekim posted:

I played it at .25 speed and you never hit the guy once.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Hamelekim posted:

How many shots aimed at the wall to the left of him did you count as body shots? Looks like he 3 shot you. How good is your internet connection? He might have also had the advantage ping.

Looking at it more closely....
You did a burst to the right of him. Then over corrected too much and did a burst to the left of him. Then shot the railing.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 15, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
He's facing the same problem I do, which is that I can't hit someone from about 5 feet away, and it gets a little old after a while.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Hamelekim posted:

less burst fire vs ump and more miss every shot vs actually get hit

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Use a shotgun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wow guess I'm gonna pick up shotguns over smgs now, ty thread.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Do smg's have higher TTKs than ARs at close range? Do people switch off AR to smg at close range for reason other bullet conservation or if they have a supressed smg? I'm a shotgun over smg guy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

cosmicjim posted:

Do smg's have higher TTKs than ARs at close range? Do people switch off AR to smg at close range for reason other bullet conservation or if they have a supressed smg? I'm a shotgun over smg guy.

Since you can move and spray with the SMG while still being accurate I find it can often beat an AR in extremely close quarters

spraying AR TTK by raw damage is probably higher than an SMG and that well and good but that is also assuming you're hitting all your shots, which really isn't a given for most people

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I use AR for long range aimed shots and SMG for building-clearing sprays of bullets but I'm gonna change it up.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

it's quite disheartening hearing shroud's sub jingle play over and over again and having to think about how much more money he's making than me, a guy being paid to sit here and watch his stream

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

To all you guys overcompensating your aim at close range: lower your mouse sensitivity.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
The AR vs SMG ttk argument boils down to landing shots. The one thing the SMG has over the AR is you can panic spray with better accuracy. I think the AKM has a solid full-auto because the slow rate of fire and the high damage make the inaccuracy less punishing, and it can midrange rather well. Just about all the 5.56 ARs without attachments have poor accuracy with more than one or two shots at a time. M16 doesn't get any attachments, so it's basically a sniper AR, treat it as such. Burst is meant for close engagements when you don't have anything else to use. Same reason the M14 has full-auto.

And :lol: if you ADS with the uzi in auto. Single fire, eh, I'll give you that, but full auto and hipfire are the definition of winning in CQC situations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do I just need to watch some streams to see if I would like this game? The clips I've seen make it look like garbage, but I think the point is to experience the full game. I have a feeling the top streamers though are the worst of the worst when it comes to twitch community pandering due to its popularity. Any recommendations?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Do I just need to watch some streams to see if I would like this game? The clips I've seen make it look like garbage, but I think the point is to experience the full game. I have a feeling the top streamers though are the worst of the worst when it comes to twitch community pandering due to its popularity. Any recommendations?

Steam has a one hour return policy if you don't like the game, doesn't it?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

KingKapalone posted:

Watching JoshOG is basically why I bought this game. I mean, there's 9 or 10 reasons, but he weighs huge in the decision because he made it look amazingly fun. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near as good as he is, leading to...

I'm going to ask the most asinine question in the history of the thread but I really do mean it: How did you guys get good at this?

And I mean that in the most earnest way possible. Have you been playing FPS for as long as you can remember and it's just muscle memory? Did you study a website or someone's videos? Do you watch particular streamers? Did you just play endlessly until one day you looked up and realized you weren't afraid of finding someone in a house anymore?

Help me out, give me an approach. I really am terrible at this, and I have a personality which doesn't like to be bad at things (I'd much sooner just stop doing them).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

it sounds like you don't like it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm going to ask the most asinine question in the history of the thread but I really do mean it: How did you guys get good at this?

I was in the military and later milsperged in operation flashpoint and arma for my positioning and I've played thousands upon thousands of hours more of cs and cs:go than I'm comfortable admitting for my aim

but really it all boils down to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

KingKapalone posted:

Sup dude! If the Early Access Highlights link I posted last page doesn't do it for you, I don't think anything will. This game is soooo much fun, I'm curious to hear why you think it looks like garbage. I mean it's definitely not polished like a Battlefield game (8 months after launch) but it's way more fun than them.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm going to ask the most asinine question in the history of the thread but I really do mean it. How did you guys get good at this?

And I mean that in the most earnest way possible. Have you been playing FPS for as long as you can remember and it's just muscle memory? Did you study a website or someone's videos? Do you watch particular streamers? Did you just play endlessly until one day you looked up and realized you weren't afraid of finding someone in a house anymore?

Help me out, give me an approach. I really am terrible at this, and I have a personality which doesn't like to be bad at things (I'd much sooner just stop doing them).

I feel like I'm pretty bad but I still managed to crack top 2,000 in NA. I've been playing FPS for a long time, I was never as good as my friends though. I've been watching some streams here and there to pick up tips. I've also played ~600 matches now. How many matches have you played? I think like anything else, it's just gonna be practice practice practice.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

fletcher posted:

Sup dude! If the Early Access Highlights link I posted last page doesn't do it for you, I don't think anything will. This game is soooo much fun, I'm curious to hear why you think it looks like garbage. I mean it's definitely not polished like a Battlefield game (8 months after launch) but it's way more fun than them.

For some reason you always pop up in threads I look at and for whatever reason I remember you from GenMay.

Anyway, yeah I was going to watch that later. My friend who I've played BF with for a long time wants me to get it and play with his brothers. By garbage, yeah I meant the polish, animations, movement, etc. When I see clips it's just people running from place to place and they happen to kill a guy from far away in between running. No firefights or real strategy, just whoever is looking the right way kills the other guy first.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah it's a game with asymmetric information and positioning as key game elements. Where you stand to see people when they don't see you is a major component of the strategy. To me this is 10x more tense and interesting than battlefield could ever hope to be but you're right, there aren't gonna be constant gunfights unless you land somewhere contended.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm still awful but slowly getting better after 200 matches. I think it's straight up grinding out matches. I have a decent sense of what to do wrt to the circle but gunplay still escapes me because I'm not used to these kinds of shooting mechanics. My most played FPS of the last 10 years are Destiny and and BF4 and then Quake before that.

I think the technique of dropping in hot zones and just getting in firefights is valid but I've also had success in dropping on clusters of 3-4 houses on the flight path and aiming to come out on top. Usually a couple people will land with you and fight for rural supremacy.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Watching JoshOG is basically why I bought this game. I mean, there's 9 or 10 reasons, but he weighs huge in the decision because he made it look amazingly fun. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near as good as he is, leading to...

half of being good comes from making good decisions quickly. the other half comes from being decent enough with weapons to do well with your ambushes or react to ambushes. because part of the game's appeal is ramping up the anxiety, spending a match or two 'warming up' by going to school or military base is not a bad way to practice getting better with weapons.

since most kills come from one guy getting ambushed by someone else, all the way to midgame is about managing that. some tips: don't zone out while looting places. remain cognizant of cover.

the final few circles come down to patience, map knowledge, and weapon skill, which again is only really attained by trying and doing. you don't have to be the best though, you just need to pick off the last few guys.

some other soft skills: looting quickly, tapping a+d instead of staying still, memorizing rooms in houses.

quote:

learn to take pleasure in making a good try. when you die before top 20, maybe top 10, with a little reflection you can probably identify whatever bad decisions or poor execution got you killed.

if you want a stream then just watch chocotaco's. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/167031692 it is decent for learning how to play, as he discusses strategy while he's playing and can illustrate what someone really good with the weapons looks like.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
it's been said to death, but the game would be well served with a shooting range and some moving targets

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

cosmicjim posted:

How many shots aimed at the wall to the left of him did you count as body shots? Looks like he 3 shot you. How good is your internet connection? He might have also had the advantage ping.

Looking at it more closely....
You did a burst to the right of him. Then over corrected too much and did a burst to the left of him. Then shot the railing.

I'll admit that my reaction time is not the best, which is why I prefer mid to long distance exchanges. but lag seems to play a huge part if whether you win a gunfight everything else being equal. In that fight there was an AK on the ground that I decided not to pick up 10 second before, that was my main mistake I think. Hits harder, more bullets flying out, less missed shots even with lag. I find that the UMP destroy's up close, against everything except a shotgun, unless you are hitting all head shots with the ar.

I've got 100Mbit down and 30Mbit up so I shouldn't have any issues with my connection, it's the game servers that are the issue if anything.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KingKapalone posted:

For some reason you always pop up in threads I look at and for whatever reason I remember you from GenMay.

Anyway, yeah I was going to watch that later. My friend who I've played BF with for a long time wants me to get it and play with his brothers. By garbage, yeah I meant the polish, animations, movement, etc. When I see clips it's just people running from place to place and they happen to kill a guy from far away in between running. No firefights or real strategy, just whoever is looking the right way kills the other guy first.

Yeah it's definitely janky as gently caress, but totally playable and most definitely fun. I would say at least play enough rounds to where you kill some dudes and get in the top 5 players remaining. If that doesn't get your blood pumping than this game is probably not for you.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i like to pick up a gun and then use it to defeat my enemies by moving my "virtual crosshair" over their body and clicking the left mouse button. thoughts on this strat?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

BBJoey posted:

i like to pick up a gun and then use it to defeat my enemies by moving my "virtual crosshair" over their body and clicking the left mouse button. thoughts on this strat?

If you're not rocking the crossbow/uzi goon meta, you'll never be #1.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hamelekim posted:

I'll admit that my reaction time is not the best, which is why I prefer mid to long distance exchanges. but lag seems to play a huge part if whether you win a gunfight everything else being equal. In that fight there was an AK on the ground that I decided not to pick up 10 second before, that was my main mistake I think. Hits harder, more bullets flying out, less missed shots even with lag. I find that the UMP destroy's up close, against everything except a shotgun, unless you are hitting all head shots with the ar.

I've got 100Mbit down and 30Mbit up so I shouldn't have any issues with my connection, it's the game servers that are the issue if anything.

You lost the fight because you can't aim, not because of lag. Go watch the video.

PUBG is an insanely popular game and shocker 10% of the players are going to poop all over everyone else. It's literally the same thing as someone who is really good at basketball. No matter how hard you try you will still get owned at basketball when facing that person. They invented games for people who don't have sub 200ms reaction times and they're called RPGs.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
While the gunplay is clearly different in other games, I've been finding it beneficial to spending 30-40 minutes playing something else (currently it's Nuclear Throne on Hard + DOOM's Arcade Mode) involving lots of mouse flicks and tracking aim, before I play some PUBG. That's like, one or two decent rounds of PUBG, but with much higher clicks per minute.

Did this the other day and first round out of the gate did sooooo much better than I had been previously. I'll only get time to play like once or twice a week so I'd prefer to do well, and in starting off with aim practice I went into my first round and got #3 with 6-7 kills, way better than I usually do. Yeah, the gunplay is different, but the core of mouse flicks on to target, and then steady tracking (for shooting on targets out in the open) is the bare baseline for anything else to matter - strategy, positioning, etc. It's kinda like any high level competitive game really, mechanical competence is the baseline to understanding and depth whether it's an RTS, FPS, Fighting Game, etc.

Hamelekim posted:

You shot first but you missed several bursts. If your flick was marginally slower but on target you would've won, hands down.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 16, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
My honest suggestion for people with poop reaction times and/or aim is to drop in unpopulated spots, find a scope, and learn how to lead shots and pay attention to the tick marks on the scopes.

That's honestly going to be much easier to memorize than to magically make your body get better at clicking on mans.

or do what I do and intentionally lower your matchmaking rating by continually landing in pochinki so you only face players as bad as yourself:

Oh and I've played over 400 matches last season:

I'm still not any better than I was when I first installed the game because it's literally athleticism that determines if you win in a shooter. It's more fun to kill a whole squad of pubs in the first 5 minutes than spend 30 minutes hiding to die in the last 1 minute to someone who was already going to beat you.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 16, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Haven't gotten any better at stuff like determining where shots are coming from, good places to land, etc?

I feel like I'm getting a bit better, but will never be good because I'm generally poo poo at shooters.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dude what is up with your font rendering, that looks atrocious

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anti-aliasing of fonts is an abomination and people should use fonts that look good aliased.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How many hours have you got into it?

If you're coming from a standard fps it'll take a long time to get used to the bullet drop and the way damage works. It's unlike any other game out there, the closest equivalent would be battlefield but the TTK is so much longer and the bullet velocity so much more severe its really not comparable. I've logged around 450~ hours and I feel like it took maybe 100 to get really comfortable with the guns.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Got my second dinner tonight thanks to the tommy gun and the double barrel. I couldn't believe my luck that someone would just leave a tommy gun in a drop crate. The drat thing is a beast!

Also, some tips to get better. Explore the map! Part of knowing how the end game is going to go is your familiarity with the map. Make sure you've dropped in all four corners of the map to get a feel for some of the advantages and disadvantages of the terrain.

Another good tip I think that helped me is knowing that by the end of the first or second circle you should have a vehicle. If you don't have a vehicle by the third circle you may not necessarily die, but your chances of getting a good spot to survive the final circles goes down tremendously. You just don't have the speed to win and walking into the circle for the finale will get you picked off by players already positioned.

After the second circle, you want to make a good guess where the fourth one will fall. I usually cut the circle in half and go straight towards the center. The likelihood of you being a good position for the final circle is pretty high considering you either do not have move much or, if you do, it won't be a far travel.

If you can't make it to the circle in time, don't fret. The first two circles are baby damage. Just watch out for circle 3 and 4.

Always advance into the circle by going on the skinnier side of the circle. What I mean by that is that you want to advance in the slow part of the blue circle and not the fast side. If you advance into the fast side you will be too worried about beating the circle instead of trying to get a good position.

Also, avoid walking through fields! They are death traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I won solo twice in a row with 10 kills and then 7 kills, it's lovely when this game finally clicks :) now to become a vacuum of personality like all PUBG streamers

• Locked thread