Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
You could just have them roll a Luck stat (3d6 or 4d6 drop lowest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'd just use proficiency.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Proficiency sounds good, though I'm not even sure you need it. Unless I'm mistaken, don't DCC luck stats only have a chance of affecting critical rolls?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nickoten posted:

Proficiency sounds good, though I'm not even sure you need it. Unless I'm mistaken, don't DCC luck stats only have a chance of affecting critical rolls?

Yes, it does. A level 1 DCC Thief rolls a [d10 + Luck modifier] on Crit Table II, and the tables go up to 20+, so I was thinking that perhaps keeping the Luck modifier might be good so that you can still get an 11 result even as a level 1.

But I think proficiency should do it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Merge STR and CON, add Luck in as the sixth stat.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
As per the official D&D facebook page, D&D Beyond is now live.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That's cool. Even if you don't own the products you can still get most of the monster art off Beyond.

Edit: Huh this is interesting. You can buy individual parts of books.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Well, that's near useless on the basic level. I tried making a variant human and the only feats I could take were grappler and svirfneblin magic. You can only choose one of the paths for your character, like if you don't want to be a life domain cleric you're sol. Though I'm not sure what I expected. Given that my group is mostly poor students, I doubt we'll be using any of the paid options.

Speaking of which, my group is getting back together soon after Summer break. One of our members wants to bring along a new player, which I've okayed (now up to six people). Would it be a good idea to start the new person off at the same level as the rest of my players or should there be some disparity? I'm thinking just to start them off at parity (level 10), but more than one of my players have expressed that it's somewhat unfair for them to have had to work to that level and this new player gets it right away.

Panderfringe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 15, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's cool. Even if you don't own the products you can still get most of the monster art off Beyond.

Edit: Huh this is interesting. You can buy individual parts of books.

You can buy the rules for individual spells for 2 bucks a pop.

EDIT: "Get the 58 spells from Player's Handbook for use on D&D Beyond. You may also purchase individual spells."

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panderfringe posted:

Well, that's near useless on the basic level. I tried making a variant human and the only feats I could take were grappler and svirfneblin magic. You can only choose one of the paths for your character, like if you don't want to be a life domain cleric you're sol.

Yeah thats the OGL stuff. You need to buy the PHB to get the rest of the options. For people that don't own the PHB this could be useful. For those who do own the PHB this is another 20 dollars you have to throw on the thing which is understandable but still sucks. (If you do want to buy it get it now, as the stuff is going to go up to 30 dollars in like a week.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Same for monsters. Not really worth it unless you are only interested in one monster or spells and not the others. All monsters / spells togeaher for a certain thing are the more reasonable 5 to 7 dollars. (Or 12 dollars in the case of buying all the volo's monsters.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hahahaha gently caress this.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

You can also buy all the spells from the PHB for $5.

Also any money you spend on the individual components gives a dollar-for-dollar discount on the full book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

esquilax posted:

Also any money you spend on the individual components gives a dollar-for-dollar discount on the full book.

Ok that is fair. So if you ever do want the full book, and have bought individual parts of it before you don't have to pay full price for it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

esquilax posted:

All 58 of them I guess? I'm no good at math but... :confused:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pretty much the only things indivdually I can see people paying for are for stuff like Tiamat and Demon Lord stat blocks. Other then that they would ether get the whole adventure or all the start blocks for a much more sensible price.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

All 58 of them I guess? I'm no good at math but... :confused:

I am guessing it means the 58 spells that were not included in the OGL.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panderfringe posted:

Speaking of which, my group is getting back together soon after Summer break. One of our members wants to bring along a new player, which I've okayed (now up to six people). Would it be a good idea to start the new person off at the same level as the rest of my players or should there be some disparity? I'm thinking just to start them off at parity (level 10), but more than one of my players have expressed that it's somewhat unfair for them to have had to work to that level and this new player gets it right away.

Maybe start like the level below. But level him faster until he catches up?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Panderfringe posted:

I'm thinking just to start them off at parity (level 10), but more than one of my players have expressed that it's somewhat unfair for them to have had to work to that level and this new player gets it right away.
More than one of your players are weird.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty much the only things indivdually I can see people paying for are for stuff like Tiamat and Demon Lord stat blocks. Other then that they would ether get the whole adventure or all the start blocks for a much more sensible price.

Guessing a lot of PC stuff would be worthwhile to purchase. If a player wants Bugbear in the app they can unlock it for $2 instead of buying the whole of Volo's, or if they get a magic item in a campaign they can buy the specific one instead of a whole book.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I'm just not hot on buying the books all over again. Far as I'm concerned character generator equal to Orc Pub (with access to all options) should be completely free. Then yeah you can buy additional books and then those are searchable and PDF downloads. Aside from something like that I just don't see this as a valuable service.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

esquilax posted:

Guessing a lot of PC stuff would be worthwhile to purchase. If a player wants Bugbear in the app they can unlock it for $2 instead of buying the whole of Volo's, or if they get a magic item in a campaign they can buy the specific one instead of a whole book.
If I had a choice though I would buy all the character options in that case.

doctor 7 posted:

I'm just not hot on buying the books all over again. Far as I'm concerned character generator equal to Orc Pub (with access to all options) should be completely free. Then yeah you can buy additional books and then those are searchable and PDF downloads. Aside from something like that I just don't see this as a valuable service.

I am not ether. Would be much better if they had a thing to somehow check if you own one of the physical books. Still this device could be useful for buying books in the future. It looks like it would appeal more to people that don't already own the books.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

MMAgCh posted:

More than one of your players are weird.

Yes.

I think I'll just make them suck it up.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I had a choice though I would buy all the character options in that case.

I am not ether. Would be much better if they had a thing to somehow check if you own one of the physical books. Still this device could be useful for buying books in the future. It looks like it would appeal more to people that don't already own the books.

At minimum allowing complete character creation would get people to use it more and maybe buy poo poo on it

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Panderfringe posted:

Yes.

I think I'll just make them suck it up.

Do people like this realize that they'll be responsible for babysetting a level 1 through a bunch of encounters with archdemons or head cultists or whatever?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Caphi posted:

Do people like this realize that they'll be responsible for babysetting a level 1 through a bunch of encounters with archdemons or head cultists or whatever?

Yeah just start them 1 level lower tops. Otherwise they will be getting one-shot by everything, fail every check and be useless. They won't have fun and won't get to know their characters' abilities.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The only advantage to starting a little lower is if they're totally new to the game. It can be a little overwhelming to get all your options thrown at you. That being said, most classes have the bulk of their abilities well before level 10 so there's not much point. Start them off a level low to make the other guys feel better, then give them an XP boost/level them faster if you use milestone, so that they catch up within a couple sessions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are the "whole books" at least only as expensive (or less) than the actual books?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
A new PHB on amazon is 30 bucks. 20 on Beyond at the 'reduced price', which will eventually revert to 30. Lots of nickel and diming if you want a specific character. Want to use the Sword Coast cantrips? Those are extra. Want a VOLO aasimar? Extra for the base race and each of 3 subraces. Have a few magic items from a campaign? Extra.

Or buy it all for your group and share a master-level account. It's $120 for the core 3 plus Sword Coast (races/subclasses) and volos, and another $55 to make it shareable for a year. Honestly that's probably a better deal at like $30-40 per player.

In comparison, back in 2011 I payed this for access to all 4e content and all dungeon/dragon content (RIP), and shared with my group:

Product Name: 1 Year Dungeons and Dragons Insider Subscription
Amount: $71.40

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I am trying to build a character with that, beyond just not having many options available at the free level it just seems kind of terrible? Like how do you set it so you have special AC from something like Mage Armor? Building a Warlock and picking Agonizing Blast does not effect Eldritch Blast at all, I have to go in and edit Eldritch Blast itself.

All in all it seems vastly inferior to the Fillable Character Sheet I already use, and that character sheet is a pay what you want kind of thing. The only potential benefit I could see to this over just using that character sheet is that it is technically official, and that it could probably be used on a tablet to create/edit a character which I can't seem to do with the sheet on my tablet.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I love D&D Beyond because it's a physical manifestation of the idea of throwing away everything 4E did and then doing things 4E did only worse in basically every way.

edit: poo poo WotC went after the 4E offline builder like it was MechaHitlerStalin and made tracking it down like finding pure unicorn tears. Meanwhile.... Orcpub.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Best 5e character sheet is MPMB's, fight me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Best 5e character sheet is MPMB's, fight me.

It's too bad pathguy is limited to the Basic version

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

doctor 7 posted:

Alright, I've gotta ask:

How many people itt are legit using some sort of character generator to make their characters for 5e?
If so, how much of that is "to use additional content that is spread over UA/is in a book I don't own"?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I use a fillable character sheet because I don't want to bother with printing out a sheet and filling it out by hand. The one I use tends to be updated relatively quickly after a new release or UA article.

I feel like a lot of people would probably use something just to keep track of things. Then again most people at the games I have gone to do use a printed sheet, only a few use an app on their phone, a sheet on their computer, or something similar. But it is still a number of people.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

P.d0t posted:

Alright, I've gotta ask:

How many people itt are legit using some sort of character generator to make their characters for 5e?
If so, how much of that is "to use additional content that is spread over UA/is in a book I don't own"?

I am using physical books and writing with pencil on a home made character sheet as god intended and as I have done since the 80s. I will continue to do so until someone achieves the impossible and provides a constantly updated character building app that is available for a small monthly fee.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do my character sheets by hand, and "by hand" I mean using Notepad or Google Spreadsheet.

Character builders are "nice", but I can never shake the feeling that they're getting it wrong because I don't see the back-end. I've since learned the trick to making clean character sheets is to have one worksheet where you do all your raw and ugly calculations, and then you have a front-end worksheet where everything is just "displayed".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depending on what you mean by app, MPMB's might be close. It knows about all the UA and such content, does spell stuff, bonuses from feats and backgrounds, dependencies, weapon bonuses, Druid wild shapes, etc. It's a fillable PDF with all manner of dark scripting in it, so it needs some form of Acrobat. I mostly print for sessions and then update the master when I get done, if I'm playing f2f. Online I just use it directly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

Alright, I've gotta ask:

Me

P.d0t posted:

This

esquilax posted:

That's surprisingly reasonable. If you buy a book does that also count toward the jumbo everything pack?
That said:

doctor 7 posted:

I'm just not hot on buying the books all over again.
That said I've not actually bought any of the books (I piggy back off friends' books and pay them in snacks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So I had a really good idea for a stupid wild magic offshoot where the wizard, instead of rolling on the wild table, grabs the top card on a deck of cards against humanity and that card is the resulting spell instead