Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Phone posting so can't link it but New Japan World Japanese twitter posted a video of Kenny/Kota's backstage meeting. I think we're gonna get the match at the dome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Phone posting so can't link it but New Japan World Japanese twitter posted a video of Kenny/Kota's backstage meeting. I think we're gonna get the match at the dome!

Not on my phone, thus able to link this:

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/897055097414221824

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sportsgenius86 posted:

I've never watched a match and thought "man, this guy could work so much better if he had a different haircut" so I don't really give a poo poo

Baron Corbin

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Benne posted:

Baron Corbin

To be honest, everything from the hips up is a disaster zone on that one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I've never watched a match and thought "man, this guy could work so much better if he had a different haircut" so I don't really give a poo poo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Goku's hair gets bigger the stronger he gets so the same is true of pro wrestlers

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Ibushi is going to be the catalyst for Kenny's face turn

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously nothing will replace Tana's glorious golden mane but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he still looks hot as hell with the new haircut.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I kinda of want Tanahashi to do an event as a young boy at ring side with that Haircut

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

He does look about ten years younger with it. He could be Ibushi's brother.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Ibushi is going to be the catalyst for Kenny's face turn

I can't wait until they're gay tag team champions together.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Skinty McEdger posted:

He does look about ten years younger with it. He could be Ibushi's brother.

You can be 10 years older than someone and still be their brother.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is the gayest, most anime thing I've ever seen and I've watched Gundam Wing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

VJeff posted:

This is the gayest, most anime thing I've ever seen and I've watched Gundam Wing.

That's why it's good. Anime, like wrestling is very good.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

All the positive feelings I got from NJPW this weekend, Shibata... Daryl... Iizuka... all erased by a snip of Tanahashi's barber's scissors.

when we were saying that tana needed to go under the knife this isn't what we meant

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

when we were saying that tana needed to go under the knife this isn't what we meant

It was the mystery knife man that they showed on the big screen! HE MUST BE STOPPED!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

I doubt this'll happen, but I kind of wish they did the WWE thing leading into WK and had a feuding partners tag team match, Okada/Naito vs. Golden Lovers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks Being the Elite has Tama Tonga in well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiPWXzRN61k

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

main event of TAKA's anniversary show next month. Given Okada and Gedo's inolvement I wouldn't be shocked if it makes it on World.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man that is cool as hell. Hopefully Gedo spends the whole time restraining TAKA while Okada and Ibushi just go at it.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Tanahashi haircut is a big thumbs down.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

main event of TAKA's anniversary show next month. Given Okada and Gedo's inolvement I wouldn't be shocked if it makes it on World.

I really want to see the match Taichi has been promoting at the end of the month. It's Taka & Taichi vs Hiromu & BUSHI in a 2/3 Falls match.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

I really want to see the match Taichi has been promoting at the end of the month. It's Taka & Taichi vs Hiromu & BUSHI in a 2/3 Falls match.

You should sign up to NicoPro. Works out about £3.20 a month and shows NOAH, All Japan, Kaientai Dojo, FREEDOMS, BJW and loads of other shows on demand .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3cgwR-2SV01urGDAw61Bgw

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Thrifting Day! posted:

You should sign up to NicoPro. Works out about £3.20 a month and shows NOAH, All Japan, Kaientai Dojo, FREEDOMS, BJW and loads of other shows on demand .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3cgwR-2SV01urGDAw61Bgw

Not strictly speaking a NJPW question, but you're probably the person to ask: When did AJPW turn around? I keep meaning to get back into the product and I'm not sure what would be a good jumping on point

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kento's run with the triple crown is when more people started to pay attention but if you want a more recent jumping on point this year's Champion Carnival

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Not strictly speaking a NJPW question, but you're probably the person to ask: When did AJPW turn around? I keep meaning to get back into the product and I'm not sure what would be a good jumping on point

Yeah as oatgan said, the Champions Carnival was really solid. Jake Lee Vs Miyahara is a great match that would have been a MOTYC in a normal year.

I would be careful about "turned around" though. They are booking the triple crown really well at the moment but there is still loads of improvement needed. They are on the right path for sure though.

If you want something different than NJ to fill a void for the next few weeks I'd recommend getting into DDT.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Thrifting Day! posted:

If you want something different than NJ to fill a void for the next few weeks I'd recommend getting into DDT.

Maybe not the right thread, but do you have any recommendations for DDT? I picked up a subscription but have mostly just been watching the street wrestling stuff. Don't really know what to watch to get more into the promotion or the wrestlers, aside from the few I already knew.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Shellman posted:

Maybe not the right thread, but do you have any recommendations for DDT? I picked up a subscription but have mostly just been watching the street wrestling stuff. Don't really know what to watch to get more into the promotion or the wrestlers, aside from the few I already knew.

I'd recommend starting at the King Of DDT shows through June to get into the current main storylines and build ups.

Then I'd recommend pretty much any Konosuke Takeshita match from the last 12 months.

Their "wrestlemania" show Peter Pan is next week so you've picked a good time to get started. Watch the Road To Ryogoku show from early July to see the main build up to that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have had my eye on konnosuke for a couple years now, he is gonna be A Big Deal if he ever gets out of DDT/raises stock of DDT

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Watch all matches featuring my friend Shigehiro and his big face that can hold three billiard bowls in it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Meltzer gave Tanahashi/Naito 5, Omega/Okada III 6 and Omega/Naito 5.75.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

:discourse:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/6u8gry/won_ratings_for_the_last_three_days_of_g1_climax/

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I read all those comments hoping for some upset about this but nothing yet. Disappointing stuff.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer has rated four matches of Omega's matches over five stars this year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The number in parenthesis is the non-Yano average since Yano was the average killer for a number of people in the B block.

lol, Dave.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Said this in January and its even more insane now:

In January 2016 serious questions were being asked if this was the end of NJPW's golden run - Okada v Tanahashi had finally ended - the feud that had brought NJPW back to the top of the wrestling world. The heir to the crown, Shinsuke Nakamura, left the company overnight. AJ Styles left too, and he was the third cog in the main event wheel at the time, and the next ones lined up hadn't even been prepped yet - Tetsuya Naito was losing to Hirooki Goto, and Shibata was off with the NEVER title while they continued to not push him to the top yet - so it was just Okada lonely at the top. Less important losing Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows, but this left a void in the hot Bullet Club as those three were its leadership.

It from all perspectives looked to be a rough year by any stretch, like thats a loving disaster - especially Nakamura as it was clear as day the play was Okada v Shinsuke CHAOS program that had been in the background for literally years.

And some loving how

Jado and Gedo didn't just make it one of their best years ever in 2016

They topped themselves in 2017 and he still has 4 months left.

Jado and Gedo for the Hall of Fame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave also goes into some fun statistics stuff which I'm positive was an absolute joy for his robot brain to get to play around with :)

Edit: Also it's cool as gently caress that Nagata got over 100 votes for MVP of the tournament.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nagata absolutely was the MVP of the tournament in my eyes. I went in knowing not much about him beyond he's an old guy who used to be a top guy. I enjoyed every one of his matches including ones against people who bore me to tears like YOSHI-HASHI and by the end I felt sad he wasn't doing it again. But also happy because that schedule must be hell for a 50 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ishii was my MVP because the dude is so loving consistent

• Locked thread