Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

vaginite posted:

This is the raddest thing I've ever seen in my life is this from a movie?

Oh my god, do yourself a favor and go watch The Miami Connection. It'll brighten up your day.

In fact, everyone go watch The Miami Connection. We can all use the moral boost today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

J33uk posted:

Must be why they love Maduro so much

Does it hurt to be this stupid? It must hurt.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Please do not deride Jane, she sees the future and we all know that makes people less likely to believe you.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Groovelord Neato posted:

gop all mad trump broke their dogwhistle.

"What the gently caress is this for? It doesn't make any sound. I'll just call 'em by name it'll be fine."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

I am legit afraid that people are going to die at the rallies already scheduled for this weekend.

I won't be surprised if it doesn't take that long for more people to die.

...Putting Blues Brothers in the DVD player. I need to watch Nazis get beat up.

http://i.imgur.com/sQA5BP0.mp4

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

J33uk posted:

Must be why they love Maduro so much

Part and parcel of boosting the far-right (with its hatred for pan-European and pan-Atlantic movements that threaten Russian regional power) is discrediting the left, which is why Jill Stein and similar ineffectual and strange-acting "leftist" figures are tacitly supported by Russia, by state media sources like RT if not financially. Maduro serves this purpose, as well as being one of only a handful of leaders in America's backyard friendly to Russia.

This is not to address whether or not Maduro's domestic policies are in any way leftist, good, or benevolent, which is quite another argument entirely and not really germane to this thread.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Too soon.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

His undershirt sticking out of his polo is triggering me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crabtree posted:

Unless the gun manufacturer - like say Remington, fucks up and makes a gun that fires without the trigger being pulled. And still has the defect guns circulating and not telling anyone to avoid bad publicity.

Who was the lawyer who won a case posthumously because he was demonstrating how a firearm with a forgotten round in the chamber could accidentally go off, whereupon the forgotten round went off and killed him?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

u dont have to be a soothsayer to know that the cycles will compact. i learned cycle compaction theory in middle school

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh my god, do yourself a favor and go watch The Miami Connection. It'll brighten up your day.

In fact, everyone go watch The Miami Connection. We can all use the moral boost today.

We can all be reminded that "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Steven Moore on CNN right now explaining that Trump said things wrong and is simply misunderstood.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
You go buy gym member ships and get fit/buff/swole.

Out walk fatasses(such as Donnie when he took a golf cart to move 80 feet while other Euro leader walked)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Please check out this video of Krauthammer dropping the mic on Laura Ingraham and Trump. It's very entertaining.

"When a guy with the last name Krauthammer is telling you someone is going too soft on neo-Nazis, you should probably pay attention" :lol:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

no because removal under the 25th is not permanent, also its now a criminal investigation

And it would be much, much easier to indict him because now you don't have more than half of Congress stonewalling his trial.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

OwlFancier posted:

Are you truly sure about that? Are you really sure that America has not seen white supremacist violence with religious overtones on a vast scale before? Even in this past century? Because I don't think that is too unusual. It is not what we might be accustomed to in the past few decades but I don't think it represents a substantial departure from the norm.

And nazis have not seized control of the country, a white supremacist was elected president, by being a member of the established white supremacist party which has been the established white supremacist party for many decades now. This again is not unusual. America is, functionally, a white supremacist state. It practices de-facto segregation based on race and incarcerates and uses as slave labour massive sections of its black population. This is not unusual.

I reiterate that you are not in any more of a fight for survival than you have already been. The death of some protestors, in public, is not the end of the world. It is simply an immediately visible example of a long established trend that has been improving, in some ways, slowly. A backslide will not destroy society and does not represent an existential threat. It is simply something that should be opposed. I again have to state that you're sounding like a doomsayer and I don't think it's healthy for you.

This is pretty much textbook normalcy bias.

Wikipedia posted:

The normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster and its possible effects, because it causes people to have a bias to believe that things will always function the way things normally function. This may result in situations where people fail to adequately prepare and, on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations.

The assumption that is made in the case of the normalcy bias is that since one has never personally experienced a disaster, one never will. It can result in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before. They also tend to interpret warnings in the most optimistic way possible, seizing on any ambiguities to infer a less serious situation. Normalcy bias is essentially a "desire for the status quo."[1]

"With a normalcy bias," writes one observer, "we project current conditions into the future. Normalcy bias is a form of denial where we underestimate the possibility and extent of a looming disaster even when we have incontrovertible evidence that it will happen. We assume that since a disaster never has occurred, then it never will occur. Consequently, we fail to prepare for a disaster and, when it does occur, we may be unable to deal with it."[1]

A famous observation by Patrick Henry can be seen as a reference to the normalcy bias: "We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it."[2]

Normalcy bias has also been called analysis paralysis, incredulity response, the ostrich effect[1] and by first responders, the negative panic

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 16, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Out walk fatasses(such as Donnie when he took a golf cart to move 80 feet while other Euro leader walked)

But what will happen when you run into all those scary Proud Boys wearing their super-authentic, super-dangerous Roman cuirasses and swords...pffffft I'm sorry, I couldn't keep saying it with a straight face.:cawg:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DC Murderverse posted:

this is the funniest tweet I've read all weekend

someone needs to tell javanka that they are loving worthless
If you watch that VICE video - the "alt-right"ers at Charlottesville already said that Jared was with very explicit language.

Kale
May 14, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Steven Moore on CNN right now explaining that Trump said things wrong and is simply misunderstood.

Somebody should ask them the follow up question of whether they feel they've had to make this statement more than normally might be expected. Like as in does having to say this almost daily not strike you as odd? You know 8 months into the presidency how many times has this excuse had to be leveled. I really do want to see that statistic.

Also isn't this supposed to be the big strong president that knows what he thinks and says what he means and even said something like he wanted to have all the facts before making a statement? Like which is it cause it can't be loving both yet they keep crossing up their bullshit. Is he the confused old man rambling incoherently and getting mixed up in which case why the gently caress is a raging incompetent the President or is it a neo-nazi abetting racist old man rambling incoherently in which case why the gently caress is a Nazi lover President?

Like it's really loving bad that if some random /pol/ fucker were President I really can't see anything being any different right now. That's where the U.S might as well be right now.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 16, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

This is pretty much textbook [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_biasnormalcy bias[/url].

nice wiki citation but you're still glossing over two hundred years of white supremacist history

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
NRA will be thrilled that gun ownership is about to spike

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Ok, yeah, that Nazi killed a guy, but the victim once stole a cookie when his mom wasn't looking, so they're both bad."-- our President, probably.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

But what will happen when you run into all those scary Proud Boys wearing their super-authentic, super-dangerous Roman cuirasses and swords...pffffft I'm sorry, I couldn't keep saying it with a straight face.:cawg:

So what you're saying is that we need to ask GBS on their opinions of the Legion in Fallout: New Vegas?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blitz7x posted:

not when the people buying guns aren't white

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Kale posted:

Somebody should ask them the follow up question of whether they feel they've had to make this statement more than normally might be expected. Like as in does having to say this almost daily not strike you as odd? You know 8 months into the presidency how many times has this excuse had to be leveled. I really do want to see that statistic.

Also isn't this supposed to be the big strong president that knows what he thinks and says what he means and even said something like he wanted to have all the facts before making a statement? Like which is it cause it can't be loving both yet they keep crossing up their bullshit

I think you'll find that fascism revels in contradiction.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just saw a guy on here L with a deaths head necklace and a Trump hat , his friend was trying to covertly film him. Guess he was trying to start poo poo.

Not sure you want to do that in Chicago. Whole vibe was weird everyone was staring at them.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

I'd be highly amused if a surge of left-wing gun sales causes the manufacturers to tell the NRA to gently caress off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's odd that the boston holocaust memorial was built in 1995 and wasn't vandalized until this year. twice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

Seriously go work out you fat (skinny fat) fucks. It's fun, puts the fury of 1000 suns to use, and puts you a leg up on these alt right Nazi dweebs.

If you wanna buy a gun cool just take some safety courses at the local range or gun shop.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/897610295065051136

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

There's a market that's untapped for ironic guns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

This is pretty much textbook normalcy bias.

I am suggesting that there is recent historical context for this sort of societal destructiveness and tension and arguing that I am crazy for pointing that out is not a compelling counterargument.

Do you disagree that white supremacism is not business as usual for the united states on a vast, industrial scale? Because unless that is incorrect I find it difficult to agree with the idea that a slightly more openly white supremacist president being elected represents a substantial, society destabilizing departure.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 16, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The CEO of the company I work for sent a pretty pathetic email about how they want to remain "part of the conversation and have a place at the table" as an excuse for not leaving Trump's CEO panel. Apparently there was so much negative feedback that he sent out ANOTHER email 5 or 6 hours later with the same bullshit but acknowledging the outrage hehe. I don[t know what these guys think they are gaining getting in bed with Trump and his band of Nazis....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/897610295065051136

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

redneck nazgul posted:

I'd be highly amused if a surge of left-wing gun sales causes the manufacturers to tell the NRA to gently caress off.

That doesn't even make sense. The violent rhetoric of the NRA is the exact justification used by those on the left advocating for more gun purchases.

It is win-win. They say "we're coming to get the enemy journalists and we will have our guns" and that sells guns to the right and the left!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The CEO of the company I work for sent a pretty pathetic email about how they want to remain "part of the conversation and have a place at the table" as an excuse for not leaving Trump's CEO panel. Apparently there was so much negative feedback that he sent out ANOTHER email 5 or 6 hours later with the same bullshit but acknowledging the outrage hehe. I don[t know what these guys think they are gaining getting in bed with Trump and his band of Nazis....

tax cuts and deregulation

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Quorum posted:

Part and parcel of boosting the far-right (with its hatred for pan-European and pan-Atlantic movements that threaten Russian regional power) is discrediting the left, which is why Jill Stein and similar ineffectual and strange-acting "leftist" figures are tacitly supported by Russia, by state media sources like RT if not financially. Maduro serves this purpose, as well as being one of only a handful of leaders in America's backyard friendly to Russia.

This is not to address whether or not Maduro's domestic policies are in any way leftist, good, or benevolent, which is quite another argument entirely and not really germane to this thread.

I'd definitely buy into the friendly leader aspect of it rather than some grand plan to discredit the left. Putin and co are no poo poo right wing but they seem to value power and influence over explicit ideology. I'll be honest, it's a weird thing to see the left in the US suddenly becoming desperately concerned about Russia after viewing them as irrelevant or sympathetic for so long. I mean the reset button photo op took place 7 years ago and people who questioned it were called war hawks who couldn't get past the Cold War.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

CommissarMega posted:

Are there such thigns as left-wing militias in the States? Surely there must be some veterans, left-wing gun nuts etc. who CAN be trusted with lethal weaponry?

Look to the Veterans that came to Standing Rock. Veterans for Peace and such.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tzen posted:

His undershirt sticking out of his polo is triggering me.

Oh poo poo my undershirt is also sticking out of my polo

Am I a nazi :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Checks out, gently caress Thomas Jefferson.

• Locked thread