Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Passive aggressive solution: buy an RGB gamer headset and set it to strobe through all available colors as fast as possible.

In fact do the same with your workstation keyboard & mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Open headphones, clicky mechanical keyboard and RGB salt lamp is my suggestion.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lucinice posted:

I'll take a look at those. Honestly I was thinking of switching headphones even if I didn't have the pain issue because I realized closed backs aren't really my thing. But thanks either way.

PIck up some SHP-9500s. They're absurdly comfortable, cheap, and a gateway drug to much better sounding open headphones. Or just jump in and go for some Monoprice M1060s or hop on that Hifiman 4xx over at massdrop if your budget is a little spicier.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I might do the worst form of revenge: I will sing along with my music. I may lack any training, natural talent, and not know what a key is, but I can make up for it with volume, endurance, and a shrillness that brings all the bats to the yard. The only problem with that would be the innocent bystanders. War is hell.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

metztli posted:

I might do the worst form of revenge: I will sing along with my music. I may lack any training, natural talent, and not know what a key is, but I can make up for it with volume, endurance, and a shrillness that brings all the bats to the yard. The only problem with that would be the innocent bystanders. War is hell.

Hey now, make sure you're wearing open planars (M1060s leak like nothing else) so everyone else can sing along too.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
OK, I bought some plantronics backbeat fit sports headphones a couple of months ago, and they're ideal for running: let in a bit of outside noise for safety, good and predictable battery life, fast charging, perfect Bluetooth pairing and range.

I now want to upgrade my office headphones, and maybe cover the occasional commute & plane travel.
I mainly listen via iPhone, presently use Sennheiser HD25.

I need isolation, no sound leakage, and I'm definitely thinking about active noise cancellation - though don't truly need it.

Only interested in bluetooth capable, full size over ear headphones. Listen to everything, metal, hip hop, jazz, and lots of podcasts and audiobooks.

Budget is up to about £200, with a bit of flexibility, and I'm in the U.K., so prices are.. odd.

My shortlist right now is:
Plantronics backbeat pro 2 - £180
Sennheiser PXC 550 - £200 via their refurb outlet store
Sony MDR-1000x - £190 via Sony centre refurbished.
Bose qc35 is a little out of budget at £260 ish.

Any of these an obvious choice? Anything comparable that I've missed?
I slightly favour the Plantronics right now as I am so impressed with the Bluetooth performance of my backbeat fits, but open to anything.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

OK, I bought some plantronics backbeat fit sports headphones a couple of months ago, and they're ideal for running: let in a bit of outside noise for safety, good and predictable battery life, fast charging, perfect Bluetooth pairing and range.

I now want to upgrade my office headphones, and maybe cover the occasional commute & plane travel.
I mainly listen via iPhone, presently use Sennheiser HD25.

I need isolation, no sound leakage, and I'm definitely thinking about active noise cancellation - though don't truly need it.

Only interested in bluetooth capable, full size over ear headphones. Listen to everything, metal, hip hop, jazz, and lots of podcasts and audiobooks.

Budget is up to about £200, with a bit of flexibility, and I'm in the U.K., so prices are.. odd.

My shortlist right now is:
Plantronics backbeat pro 2 - £180
Sennheiser PXC 550 - £200 via their refurb outlet store
Sony MDR-1000x - £190 via Sony centre refurbished.
Bose qc35 is a little out of budget at £260 ish.

I slightly favour the Plantronics right now as I am so impressed with the Bluetooth performance of my backbeat fits, but open to anything.

What does a JBL Everest Elite 700 cost in the UK?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wooger posted:

MDR1000x are the super obvious choice. The ANC is just as good as the bose and they're much nicer to listen to.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

MDR1000x are the super obvious choice. The ANC is just as good as the bose and they're much nicer to listen to.
Maybe, though I've read scary things about the headband cracking which put me off. Plus some less than complimentary reviews https://marco.org/headphones-bluetooth

DancingShade posted:

What does a JBL Everest Elite 700 cost in the UK?

£190 - £200

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

wooger posted:

Maybe, though I've read scary things about the headband cracking which put me off. Plus some less than complimentary reviews https://marco.org/headphones-bluetooth

Headband cracking I haven't heard of when I had the Sony's for a week, but I'm not surprised based on how much a clamp feeling it was on my head that forced me to return them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

£190 - £200

That would be my vote frankly.

From my admittedly passing in a store glance it seemed to have pretty decent ear holes that looked comfier than most and it has all the features you want. Cheaper doesn't mean worse.

(you can always mail order some Mee Audio Matrix 3s if you want a lower price)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DancingShade posted:

That would be my vote frankly.

From my admittedly passing in a store glance it seemed to have pretty decent ear holes that looked comfier than most and it has all the features you want. Cheaper doesn't mean worse.

(you can always mail order some Mee Audio Matrix 3s if you want a lower price)

Ta, I'll take a look, not sure I've ever heard them mentioned before.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Headband cracking I haven't heard of when I had the Sony's for a week, but I'm not surprised based on how much a clamp feeling it was on my head that forced me to return them.
https://medium.com/@Xander51/buyer-beware-it-looks-like-the-sony-mdr-1000x-has-a-build-materials-issue-c37d8ca3aa1f

Hmm.

I have to rule out the Sennheisers now, as I just learned they don't have the AAC bluetooth codec, so pointless for iPhone.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

wooger posted:

https://medium.com/@Xander51/buyer-beware-it-looks-like-the-sony-mdr-1000x-has-a-build-materials-issue-c37d8ca3aa1f

Hmm.

I have to rule out the Sennheisers now, as I just learned they don't have the AAC bluetooth codec, so pointless for iPhone.

Wow, glad I dodged the bullet there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I recently (today) got my first ever bluetooth audio whatsit IEMs in the mail. Went cheap. Brainwavz Blu-Delta 4.1s.

They're pretty great actually. Chi-fi best fi. Also has all those acronyms people were talking about with regards to headset requirements on this page.

Describe them? Uh, ok. Sound reasonably balanced with very punchy bass (especially if you use the optional foam tips). 8 hours battery life which I think is decent considering the size. Imaging seems very acceptable. Sound stage is narrow but any HD600 enthusiast won't mind that.
Probably the most comfy IEMs I've used for a long time. You'll want the foam tips in IMO.

Negatives? The control box whatsit with the controls & microphone is right centric. Good if you want to use it as a microphone I suppose (disabled that immediately in windows) but I just want to listen to music so it upsets the weight distribution slightly. Not a deal breaker though since it can sit on the back of my neck anyway.

Also being wireless you can hear the noise floor hiss if music isn't playing. Impossible to notice with it going though. Technically works at advertised 10m range & even through walls but you'll want to be closer to avoid skipping.

Pretty sure you can find better but for the price I'm quite happy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DancingShade posted:

JBL Everest Elite 700

I've not been able to work out online if these support the AAC codec that iPhones use.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

I've not been able to work out online if these support the AAC codec that iPhones use.

Don't have an iPhone but I did find this spec sheet http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-headphones/EVEREST+700+ELITE.html

Failing that the Mee Audio Matrix 3s definitely have aptX and AAC listed so maybe they would work better? http://www.meeaudio.com/Matrix3/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If I use mostly Spotify for music on my iDevices does whether bluetooth headphones have AAC support or not matter?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I use mostly Spotify for music on my iDevices does whether bluetooth headphones have AAC support or not matter?

Doesn't matter, Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis. This would matter more if you had Apple Music.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 12, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I demoed Onkyo's completely wireless Bluetooth earphones at a store and holy poo poo they were a wreck; mushy sound compared to their cheaper BT earphones (which I just bought) and also one or the other side was cutting out every few seconds.

I am hearing that Apple's AirPods are a lot better than I assumed but are the other attempts at this as bad a failure as these Onkyos?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Doesn't matter, Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis. This would matter more if you had Apple Music.

No, it does matter.

Your audio is being encoded somehow before being sent over Bluetooth to your headphones. You're much better off if a modern, good sounding codec like AAC or AptX is used, as the alternative is lovely SBC.

And iPhones don't support AptX.

There's an additional benefit on iPhones playing AAC source files (e.g. ITunes), as there's no decoding & decompression needed on the phone at all, it can just send over AAC to the headphones.

Either way you want AAC support on Bluetooth headphones if you care about quality at all on iPhone, no way I'm spending £150 on something that doesn't support it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Further thoughts on the HD 569

They still sound super excellent. I've mostly been listening to podcasts and LP's on them, so there's that.

I experimented using the microphone on a phone call and the report was "serviceable", still need to check how it works on the PS4.

It has been a little weird getting used to these over the M560s, but I think I prefer the Sennheiser HD 569. They're just so much more comfortable and the precision is so close together that I'm okay with it. I have the HifiMan HE 4XX on the way, but I plan on doing dumb stuff with hardware at the end of the year anyway.

Hopefully my Switch and 3DS well drive these well enough through the end of the summer while I'm in China.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

wooger posted:

No, it does matter.

Your audio is being encoded somehow before being sent over Bluetooth to your headphones. You're much better off if a modern, good sounding codec like AAC or AptX is used, as the alternative is lovely SBC.

And iPhones don't support AptX.

There's an additional benefit on iPhones playing AAC source files (e.g. ITunes), as there's no decoding & decompression needed on the phone at all, it can just send over AAC to the headphones.

Either way you want AAC support on Bluetooth headphones if you care about quality at all on iPhone, no way I'm spending £150 on something that doesn't support it.

I suppose I worded the answer wrong, but AAC support wouldn't work in Sanders' case with Spotify is what I'm getting at. It'll be SBC regardless. AptX to my knowledge also doesn't support Ogg Vorbis along with iPhones not supporting it either.

Edit: God drat, I'm an idiot.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 12, 2017

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I suppose I worded the answer wrong, but AAC support wouldn't work in Sanders' case with Spotify is what I'm getting at. It'll be SBC regardless. AptX to my knowledge also doesn't support Ogg Vorbis along with iPhones not supporting it either.

The source is irrelevant, your phone can still have a Bluetooth connection to headphones using the AAC codec. This works just the same when playing MP3, flac, apple lossless , off or AAC files.

Your phone decodes them first, then re-encodes for transmission via Bluetooth. You still get the benefit of a better codec even if the source is encoded differently.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

wooger posted:

The source is irrelevant, your phone can still have a Bluetooth connection to headphones using the AAC codec. This works just the same when playing MP3, flac, apple lossless , off or AAC files.

Your phone decodes them first, then re-encodes for transmission via Bluetooth. You still get the benefit of a better codec even if the source is encoded differently.

Got it, I was working off bad info then. Part of why I thought otherwise is that my Macbook Air won't use AAC without coaxing from Apple's Xcode Bluetooth diagnostic tools. I guess I learned something. :downs:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

metztli posted:

I grabbed a pair of bose qc30s today so that I could test if IEMs hurt like foam earplugs or earbuds do. They didn't hurt and did a decent job reducing noise. Sound quality was meh but at least I opened up a world of better options!

I will look into a pair Westones - people rave about them - and then return the qc30s if the Westones work out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

For what it's worth, I work in CubeLand and purchased a pair of Bose QC35s, and they do a good job of keeping voices out when the people around me are talking or on the phone. In fact, people often have to get my attention by visually waving their arm and such because I can't even heard them knocking on my cube while wearing them. I probably have the volume at about 30% or so.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Anybody have thoughts on the AfterShokz Trekz Titaniums? I'm thinking of getting some wireless headphones, but almost everything is IEMs. I don't like things stuffed into my ears very much, so the bone conduction seems like a good alternative and also cyberpunk as hell. I tried them out once in a store and they seemed fine, but obviously a minute or two is not the same as using it for a whole day or during a workout.

Context:
-I currently use some regular old Apple earbuds and I am fine with the sound quality/noise isolation (or lack thereof).
-Unlike everyone else, my office is actually pretty quiet, so blocking outside noise isn't essential. Being aware of my surroundings would be nice for biking.
-I listen to about 80% podcasts & audiobooks, 20% music.

Concerns:
-I'm worried the area over my ear is gonna be crowded with the headphones competing for space with my sunglasses and bike helmet tightening mechanism
-I don't want to bother my coworkers, so too much audio bleed would be bad. But I usually don't listen to things very loudly.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I went looking back a bit but I'm on mobile so it's a pain.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Bone conduction headphones are built for a very specific use case, i.e. swimming, biking, other situations where you can't have anything in your ears. They don't sound good and they tend to have build quality problems due to the fact that they need to maintain pressure on your head to work. This can also cause TMJ pain for people prone to it. They're great for the things they're great at, but they're not general use headphones. You'll get much better results from anything else, unless you specifically need bone conduction, in which case they're the only option.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

runchild posted:

Anybody have thoughts on the AfterShokz Trekz Titaniums? I'm thinking of getting some wireless headphones, but almost everything is IEMs. I don't like things stuffed into my ears very much, so the bone conduction seems like a good alternative and also cyberpunk as hell. I tried them out once in a store and they seemed fine, but obviously a minute or two is not the same as using it for a whole day or during a workout.

Context:
-I currently use some regular old Apple earbuds and I am fine with the sound quality/noise isolation (or lack thereof).
-Unlike everyone else, my office is actually pretty quiet, so blocking outside noise isn't essential. Being aware of my surroundings would be nice for biking.
-I listen to about 80% podcasts & audiobooks, 20% music.

Concerns:
-I'm worried the area over my ear is gonna be crowded with the headphones competing for space with my sunglasses and bike helmet tightening mechanism
-I don't want to bother my coworkers, so too much audio bleed would be bad. But I usually don't listen to things very loudly.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I went looking back a bit but I'm on mobile so it's a pain.
I have a pair that I use for cycling. I used to have a single earbud that was supposed to pipe stereo sound into one ear. I mostly listen to audiobooks so I'm not sure if that was accurate or not. But I got tired of the cord mess so I upgraded to Aftershokz.

They sound pretty drat good. Depending on how high you turn them up you might start to feel them vibrate and not like the sensation. At higher volumes people will be able to faintly heat what you're listening to if ambient noise is low enough. For cycling I ended up getting windblockers that go on your helmet straps to deflect the wind away from my ears because wind noise can overwhelm the audio. There are a few different brands of these and some of them look really stupid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I used Aftershokz for years while cycling and thought they were the bees knees but with the advent of earphones like my Plantronics Backbeat Fit, which are conventional but designed to let in outside sound, I don't see the point anymore.

edit: they're probably both still illegal in Japan though; they set some new laws about cycling a few years ago but afaik almost no one has actually been punished by them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Trip report:

switched from auzentech prelude sound card to micca origin+. definitely an increase in bass and detail/clarity using my Fidelio X2s

running it over spdif if that makes a difference, so it's not going through USB/no drivers to install

i'm a little surprised I can even tell the difference, but yep its there and its apparent. if you're running a sound card I gotta recommend getting at least a cheap-o dac/amp. sorry about your wallet

e: sound card has been running with the ASIO foobar plugin, bit matched playback, 24 bit/41khz, all effects turned off. IE how it should be for best performance

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Need a recommendation please!

Budget: $200-300
Source: iPad, MacBook, phone, superscope r-330 receiver for vinyl
Isolation: don't need it
Type: over ear
Tonal balance: Balanced I guess, though I enjoy clarity
Past headphones: Grado SR-80i. A bit too bright, not comfortable for long periods of time
Preferred music: noise, ambient, electronic, rock, country, psych, shoegaze, lots of stuff but not much hip hop

Let me know if more info is helpful. Thanks!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Need a recommendation please!

Budget: $200-300
Source: iPad, MacBook, phone, superscope r-330 receiver for vinyl
Isolation: don't need it
Type: over ear
Tonal balance: Balanced I guess, though I enjoy clarity
Past headphones: Grado SR-80i. A bit too bright, not comfortable for long periods of time
Preferred music: noise, ambient, electronic, rock, country, psych, shoegaze, lots of stuff but not much hip hop

Let me know if more info is helpful. Thanks!

Literally anything mentioned the last couple pages.

Massdrop has the HE4XX for $170 with 16 days left.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

You just missed the HE6XX but you can still find HD600/650's in your price range. (Even on amazon.)

I really like my Fidelio X2's and HD598SE but if you've got the budget, I definitely recommend the aforementioned.

Honorable mentions:
HD569
M560
M1060
DT880

All in all it depends what type of sound you like.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Literally anything mentioned the last couple pages.

Massdrop has the HE4XX for $170 with 16 days left.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

You just missed the HE6XX but you can still find HD600/650's in your price range. (Even on amazon.)

I really like my Fidelio X2's and HD598SE but if you've got the budget, I definitely recommend the aforementioned.

Honorable mentions:
HD569
M560
M1060
DT880

All in all it depends what type of sound you like.

Awesome. Thanks!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Is there a guide for Bluetooth headphones/headsets around as I'd like to embrace the wireless revolution and get a half decent pair of preferably over-ear headphones and a half decent mic included would be a great plus for phone calls and/or gaming. I've said half-decent but anything much past £100 is going to take a lot of convincing me that they are worth it. Let us say ~£150 maximum budget.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Budgie posted:

Is there a guide for Bluetooth headphones/headsets around as I'd like to embrace the wireless revolution and get a half decent pair of preferably over-ear headphones and a half decent mic included would be a great plus for phone calls and/or gaming. I've said half-decent but anything much past £100 is going to take a lot of convincing me that they are worth it. Let us say ~£150 maximum budget.

I deem these (Sony MDR-ZX770BN) decent but I'm sure most people would think of them as half-decent. I own a pair that I use daily when I'm out and about, also they are under your budget.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Passburger posted:

I deem these (Sony MDR-ZX770BN) decent but I'm sure most people would think of them as half-decent. I own a pair that I use daily when I'm out and about, also they are under your budget.

Prime eligibility is also a big plus. And they have a warehouse deal for just over £70 which sweetens it a bit if they really are just cosmetic imperfections. Quite tempting if nobody comes up with a competitor in a similar price range.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
I have a set of M1060 getting delivered tomorrow. I will let you know how they work out!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Passburger posted:

I got a pair of these recently and they're better than I expected. They're the first noise cancelling headphones I've ever had and I got creeped out at how quiet it was while waiting for the train today.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
I got my 1060 in today....

So far, very good!

I was able to lower my average listening volume by a third without losing any clarity. To me, that is a good sign.

Final verdict pending listening to them for a bit... but they give my Shure headphone a real run for the money. (Much better headband design too!

The only thing I am worried about is replacing the pads down the line... I will be using these quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scottishprog posted:

I got my 1060 in today....

So far, very good!

I was able to lower my average listening volume by a third without losing any clarity. To me, that is a good sign.

Final verdict pending listening to them for a bit... but they give my Shure headphone a real run for the money. (Much better headband design too!

The only thing I am worried about is replacing the pads down the line... I will be using these quite a bit.

They're compatible with the replacement pads from the Audeze LCD series if you wear out the stock ones.