Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Frank mentions it in an episode of Always Sunny when he's conning a bunch of tourists telling them it's where all the bodies in Philly winds up. He pronounces it kind of like skull-kill so I always thought it was a made up name. I'm not American but am dumb tbf.

The gang nailed the pronunciation of Poconos by Philadelphians though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I grew up in the Philly burbs and there's no way anyone from outside the area could get that one on their own.

Conshohocken is another one that comes to mind. Con-cha-hawk-in

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I've known for a long time that the old timey bike with a giant front wheel is called a penny-farthing but I've only just put together that they're called that because the wheels resemble the old British coins, a penny and a farthing, placed side by side.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hardcordion posted:

I've known for a long time that the old timey bike with a giant front wheel is called a penny-farthing but I've only just put together that they're called that because the wheels resemble the old British coins, a penny and a farthing, placed side by side.

No it's because it used to cost a penny (40,000£ in current currency) and it didn't have pedals so you got around by farthing a lot.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Getting gasoline into an open cut burns like hell.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Getting gasoline into an open cut burns like hell.

I remember my first day

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This isn't me, but was actually a co-worker a while ago. He'd just come back from a trip to London and was talking about all the Sherlock Holmes stuff he'd seen while there (221B Baker Street, etc.). He thought Sherlock Holmes was at one point, a real guy, as did his girlfriend who was on the trip with him. This apparently isn't unusual, in that a poll in 2014 found that close to 20% of people surveyed thought he was a real historic figure:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373505/One-Brits-think-Sherlock-Holmes-Miss-Marple-Blackadder-historical-figures.html

He was so weirded out when I told him. We had to go to Wiki and everything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scaramouche posted:

This isn't me, but was actually a co-worker a while ago. He'd just come back from a trip to London and was talking about all the Sherlock Holmes stuff he'd seen while there (221B Baker Street, etc.). He thought Sherlock Holmes was at one point, a real guy, as did his girlfriend who was on the trip with him. This apparently isn't unusual, in that a poll in 2014 found that close to 20% of people surveyed thought he was a real historic figure:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373505/One-Brits-think-Sherlock-Holmes-Miss-Marple-Blackadder-historical-figures.html

He was so weirded out when I told him. We had to go to Wiki and everything.

Yeah it's really common for people to believe that fictional things are real: Robin Hood, King Arthur, the Titanic, Robinson Crusoe, narwhals, etc etc

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It is really monstrous how many unicorns are killed every year, just so their horns can be chopped off and sold as narwhal horns.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's really common for people to believe that fictional things are real: Robin Hood, King Arthur, the Titanic, Robinson Crusoe, narwhals, etc etc

Haha we once convinced a dude the invisible hand of the market was real hahaha.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

I grew up outside of Philly and always pronounced it as skook-ll, as everyone else in the Philly area did.

I bought a fishing rod from a guy up that way and he was nice enough to tell me the names of some good fishing spots. An hour later I am looking at a map and like nothing makes any sense.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I bought a fishing rod from a guy up that way and he was nice enough to tell me the names of some good fishing spots. An hour later I am looking at a map and like nothing makes any sense.

Yeah smoking weed will do that to ya.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Ask me about breaking Japanese tourists' hearts by telling them they can't visit Anne of Green Gables' grave :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i'm proud of u for not making a holocaust joke here

we truly are growing up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Charlie and the Waitress are married in real life. woah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Charlie and the Waitress are married in real life. woah

So are Mac and Dee.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Henchman of Santa posted:

So are Mac and Dee.

Dennis and the pharmacist he DENNIS'd are a couple, too.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i thought monty python was a real person until i was twenty.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Pink Floyd was the singer, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i thought monty python was a real person until i was twenty.

According to the lore they were stuck with the name 'Flying Circus' when the BBC said they'd already printed that name on their schedule and weren't prepared to change it and the cast decided to call the show "______'s Flying Circus" and went through a bunch of different names before choosing Monty Python. Apparently Michael Pail wanted to call the show 'Gwen Dibley's Flying Circus' after a woman he'd read about in the paper because he thought it'd be hilarious if this woman picked up a TV guide one day and discovered there was a TV show named after her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

No, that's Jethro Tull

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

btw, which ones pink

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Holland Oates. :coal:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

btw, which ones pink
The one singing pick-me-up songs for fat suburban people.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Haha we once convinced a dude the invisible hand of the market was real hahaha.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

No, that's Jethro Tull

I thought it was Blondie?

Edit: no joke, until I was about 12 I thought Blondie and Debbie Harry were two women who performed together. Mostly because of this compilation.

Creature has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Aug 13, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

No, that's Jethro Tull

I believe his name is Jeff Rotull.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

KoRMaK posted:

btw, which ones pink

Apparently Bob Geldoff

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

Apparently Bob Geldoff
This is actually the only acceptable answer. Agreed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Mountain goats aren't goats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Memento posted:

Mountain goats aren't goats.

Get the gently caress out of town.

Wait
"Despite its vernacular name, it is not a member of Capra, the genus that includes all other goats, such as the wild goat, Capra aegagrus, from which the domestic goat is derived."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Get the gently caress out of town.

Wait
"Despite its vernacular name, it is not a member of Capra, the genus that includes all other goats, such as the wild goat, Capra aegagrus, from which the domestic goat is derived."

If you think that's crazy: https://youtu.be/uhwcEvMJz1Y

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Can you link to the five seconds that aren’t stupid British jokes? Oh fish aren’t fish “my dear mum was a fish” *audience cheers*

On the goat thing, a sentence or two before or after the quoted section basically says they are extremely close to goats.

quote:

Within this subfamily Caprinae, a prominent tribe Caprini includes sheep, goat, and ibex.

It’s not like they’re rabbits or something. Like how hyenas are “cats” not dogs, except mountain goats share a subfamily while hyenas are “cats” at the suborder. Mountain goats are basically goats and it’s splitting hairs to say they’re “also kind of ibex”.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"The terminology of "fish" tells nothing about its biology. Biologically speaking, a salmon is more related to a camel than a hagfish. Just because they are sea-dwelling creatures, doesn't mean they are more or less related to each other. Salmon and camels are both Gnathostomata while hagfish are Myxini. All three are Chordata which includes mammals, amphibians, reptiles and fish but excludes all insects and arthropods.

In other words, when someone says 'fish', from a phylogenetic and cladistic standpoint they have to include frogs and chickens as well."

Salmon and hagfish are no more the same thing because they swim than a hawk and a bat are the same thing because they fly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait, so you're saying we can eat chicken for lent right?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

what do you mean, there's no such thing as a fish?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Me dear mum was a fish

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rydiafan posted:

In other words, when someone says 'fish', from a phylogenetic and cladistic standpoint they have to include frogs and chickens as well.

However, the phylogenetic and cladistic standpoint is completely irrelevant about 100% of the time people say "fish".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

However, the phylogenetic and cladistic standpoint is completely irrelevant about 100% of the time people say "fish".

Which they observe in the video as well - the only time people actually give a poo poo about the definition of the word "fish" is when they're looking at a menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The culinary definition is much more important to non-biologists, anyway. Who cares if a tomato is technically a berry? What does it matter that a peanut is really a legume?

Does it have scales, fins and gills? Does it swim in the sea? Sounds like a fish to me, partner.