Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Feels like that would be more useful as a percentage.

If 90% of a plot is at saturation, you should increase the data range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/AntonN_Homes/status/897144122351513601

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spazzle posted:

If 90% of a plot is at saturation, you should increase the data range.

Seriously.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

the old ceremony posted:

you are all completely insufferable

you've been permabanned like 6 times in the last few months for threatening trump

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Booourns posted:

you've been permabanned like 6 times in the last few months for threatening trump

Granted, this is only an act of self-defense on the part of SA and not a reflection on the objective rationality of such things.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Booourns posted:

one day i will eat your rear end in a top hat and i don't mean that in a sexy way

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just learned that my mom got a new financial adviser who is recommending she take out a line of credit on her home and invest in condo futures :suicide:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ryan Holmes is peddling Cascadian independence now? :confuoot:

https://www.inc.com/ryan-holmes/why...t8BmjBSGA%3D%3D

quote:

I'm all for it, especially during a time when so much energy is being put into blocking the free movement of people and ideas across borders. But why stop there? Why not lay the foundation for an unbroken belt of innovation that extends all the way down the coast to Silicon Valley?

And while we're at it, why don't we make our own separate little republic for good measure?

Think about it: a brand new nation, stretching along the Pacific from British Columbia to California. We'd be more populous than Canada. We'd have a bigger GDP than the UK. And, instead of clinging to old models, we'd gaze ahead to a future of clean energy, clean tech and smart automation.

Doesn't sound so bad, right? Turns out Cascadia is far from a passing fantasy. It actually has deep historical roots ... not to mention the support of a sizable contingent of modern-day Cascadians yearning to break free.

If that vision gets co-opted by the libertarian tech bro crowed, please kill me. :suicide:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the old ceremony posted:

one day i will eat your rear end in a top hat and i don't mean that in a sexy way

I don't think you get to decide that

Rime posted:

Ryan Holmes is peddling Cascadian independence now? :confuoot:

https://www.inc.com/ryan-holmes/why...t8BmjBSGA%3D%3D

If that vision gets co-opted by the libertarian tech bro crowed, please kill me. :suicide:

I mean, cascadia is already a white power thing I thought?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JawKnee posted:

I don't think you get to decide that

I thought it was born out of the bioregionalism theory, which by nature rejects the rigid concept of ethnic backgrounds in favor of culture being determined by a localized melting pot? Ie: Who gives a gently caress if you're grandfather came from Switzerland or Sudan, your traits have been more heavily shaped by a 200km radius around where you've lived your life.

Although that was dreamed up before the internet was what it is today, which I think has had a highly corrosive impact on the theory.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawKnee posted:

If a silly thing is going to get co-opted, I am picking the techbro version over the white supremacist of one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

If a silly thing is going to get co-opted, I am picking the techbro version over the white supremacist of one.

As if there's a difference.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

vyelkin posted:

Just learned that my mom got a new financial adviser who is recommending she take out a line of credit on her home and invest in condo futures :suicide:

95% chance they are a part time realtor or mortgage broker on the side

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RBC posted:

95% chance they are a part time realtor or mortgage broker on the side

Yuuuuuuup, when I vehemently objected she defended her new friend by saying it was okay because she does the financial advising for free because the only part of her business that makes money is mortgage brokering.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You get what you pay for.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey guys did you know that government can't solve the problem and the real problem is supply and to solve that we need to build woodframe condos?

It's true, the Huffington Post told me so

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ben-myers/toronto-and-vancouver-housing-is-going-to-get-even-pricier_a_23078111/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

vyelkin posted:

Hey guys did you know that government can't solve the problem and the real problem is supply and to solve that we need to build woodframe condos?

It's true, the Huffington Post told me so

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ben-myers/toronto-and-vancouver-housing-is-going-to-get-even-pricier_a_23078111/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Wow, tough out there for the poor developers. This really puts it in perspective!

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Well, pack it in dudes! Crash's officially over! Close the thread...

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/trading-desk/canadian-housing-market-bubble-has-ceased-without-a-crash-landing/wcm/f1e899d9-1f98-4513-94ab-f7a5fce42b82

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Time to buy in to cash out in the next bubble then, i guess.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

a soft landing, gently delivering us all to the new normal

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Toronto=Canada apparently.

Like I know to most we're still just some irrelevant west coast logging town, but some Torontonians do know it's worse here right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, we know Vancouver is worse.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
yay condo life

We have two capped natural gas lines on our terrace and no one can tell us where the shut-off valve for those gas lines can be found. Property management says, "dunno", caretaker says, "dunno", and I'm pretty sure one of the neighboring units that had a valve installed on their capped line just had a gas fitter put it on with the gas flowing - just pop your thumb over the pipe and hope you don't spark it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I suspect few condo owners even know where the water shut off is, let alone the gas.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Evis posted:

I suspect few condo owners even know where the water shut off is, let alone the gas.
Yeah they can't tell us where the water shut off is either. I'm betting someone dry walled over it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

That seems insane. My next question would be if they know how to shut off water to the building.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Absolutely not. In doing fire plans for condos and apartments it's shocking the number of buildings that have no idea where either of those things are. All those times you hear about a condo where the sprinkler went off on a floor and flooded the whole building for hours? That's because no one knew where the shut off was. Every floor and often sub-areas of floors will have shut-offs for sprinklers. Each unit will generally have water shut-offs as well. In the mechanical room will be the main sprinkler valve and domestic valve. Someone's unit is flooding! What do we do? Where's 206's valve? Someone call a plumber! Who did the mechanical for our building? Who do we call??? Who has the key to the mechanical room? *hours and $700,000 later* oh we found the domestic incoming valve, it wasn't in the mechanical room it was in a weird random storage room in the parkade.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Yeah they can't tell us where the water shut off is either. I'm betting someone dry walled over it.

Can you get access to the blueprints for the condo building from the strata or something. Presuming that something like that would actually be on the building plans and not just done on the fly by whoever built the place.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Evis posted:

That seems insane. My next question would be if they know how to shut off water to the building.

My goon, a building I was working on in January was flooded from the 15th floor down because they couldn't find the water shutoff.

The building I am currently on put glass panels over 5 water faucets on the roof, permanently sealing them off.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

My goon, a building I was working on in January was flooded from the 15th floor down because they couldn't find the water shutoff.

The building I am currently on put glass panels over 5 water faucets on the roof, permanently sealing them off.
There is always a little map of each floor by the elevator but they never put actual useful info on it like fire extinguisher locations or shut-off valves. Just unit numbers and a lovely map.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

There is always a little map of each floor by the elevator but they never put actual useful info on it like fire extinguisher locations or shut-off valves. Just unit numbers and a lovely map.

There's supposed to be a book at every lobby with the fire plan that clearly shows that stuff. Also I like to put important valves on the zone maps, which are generally an overall map of the building. The maps by the elevator absolutely should have extinguisher locations, and pull stations. They're not for fire fighters though, they're for people in the building to know what to do in case of a fire. Fire departments all are getting digital versions of these so before they even show up at the building they've looked over the plans and know where the electrical room is, know where the valves are, know what "level 6 east mezzanine" is and so on. The hard part is making sure every single building in the city has this data collected.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Rime posted:

Hold on... As in there were water spigots on the roof (for hoses or something?) And they covered them up? Intentionally or unintentionally?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Baronjutter posted:

Absolutely not. In doing fire plans for condos and apartments it's shocking the number of buildings that have no idea where either of those things are. All those times you hear about a condo where the sprinkler went off on a floor and flooded the whole building for hours? That's because no one knew where the shut off was. Every floor and often sub-areas of floors will have shut-offs for sprinklers. Each unit will generally have water shut-offs as well. In the mechanical room will be the main sprinkler valve and domestic valve. Someone's unit is flooding! What do we do? Where's 206's valve? Someone call a plumber! Who did the mechanical for our building? Who do we call??? Who has the key to the mechanical room? *hours and $700,000 later* oh we found the domestic incoming valve, it wasn't in the mechanical room it was in a weird random storage room in the parkade.

well obviously you need to fire your superintendent and get one that's competent

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

dev286 posted:

Hold on... As in there were water spigots on the roof (for hoses or something?) And they covered them up? Intentionally or unintentionally?

Yeah this needs more explanation

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
water supplies are useful for window washers, and these days for watering your "green" roof

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

RBC posted:

well obviously you need to fire your superintendent and get one that's competent

This is what happens when you pay your maintenance person $12/hr.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/workplace-structure-collapse-injuries-gatineau-1.4252713

Balconies seem underbuilt, all their weight is on three sistered 2x4 beams?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

dev286 posted:

Unintentionally. The hookups are now behind glass, forever.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/workplace-structure-collapse-injuries-gatineau-1.4252713

Balconies seem underbuilt, all their weight is on three sistered 2x4 beams?

Yeah that is really flimsy especially once you add 2 feet of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Rime posted:

Unintentionally. The hookups are now behind glass, forever.

That is, uh, problematic!