Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

who's kevin nash besides my dad now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm proud to have been the first person to introduce to this thread the concept of sundowning, it and my 1-2 thread titles are my legacy and also I am a sad drunk which makes me a king amongst the detritus of human wreckage that is this garbage heap of a country

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zyla posted:

WELL WHY IS IT GOOD

Because love overrides your survival instinct. People will run into a burning building to save someone they love. And the survival instinct is inherently doomed, you can not survive. But the things you love can outlive you. So love allows people to actually make rational decisions by overriding the flawed survival instinct.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Brogeoisie posted:

the problem is, it doesn't work this way; they interpret it differently -- like in some venerance rather than ashame from ancestors far long ago. The south worships these soldiers like they're medal of honor winners despite being the 19th century equivalent of SS soldiers. destroy the symbol and give them nothing but words, they'll have little to venerate. it's similar to why the losers at penn state flipped the gently caress out about joe paterno's statue getting taken down

You are thinking of visiting a museum tomorrow. I've seen human artifacts 5000 years old in museums. Do you think the South will rise again 500 years from now from gazing upon a statue?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
remember 100 years ago when trump descended the escalator?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agrajag posted:

a lot of rape...

liek the novels have at leat 10% of their content devoted to rape and rapey poo poo

oh and the novels stop being good at A Feast For Crows, well aside from Aryas storyline which the show royally buttfucked, even moreso

the shameful thing about asoiaf is that there's a great setting in there that should have produced a really interesting story but grrm doesn't have the writing chops to pull it off, and is also creepy as hell

unironically, there's long-form asoiaf fanfiction (usually about a what-if, like what-if ned stark lived) that's better than the books purely because it's way less creepy and sadistic

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Aug 16, 2017

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Trump's account is still there tho

Baby steps

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Solarin posted:

I like this tormp picture genre

holy poo poo thats awesome

and terrifying

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Agrajag posted:

a lot of rape...

liek the novels have at leat 10% of their content devoted to rape and rapey poo poo

oh and the novels stop being good at A Feast For Crows, well aside from Aryas storyline which the show royally buttfucked, even moreso

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin was never good

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

punchymcpunch posted:

valis is about a guy named horsefucker fat because philip means horsefucker and dick means fat

actually its horselover in the book, more literally horsebro; horsefucker would be uh, erohip i guess?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
kevin nash...good?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

A confederate statue put into a museum today is a reminder of the civil war, the circumstances and date under which it was put up, and the circumstances and date under which it was taken down. It also gives insight into the metallurgy and art of the time. It's a great tool for the offspring of those who actually have the chance to have sex to learn from mistakes and make a better future.

But we're angry about certain haircuts now, so let's destroy them.

ok, this should win a prize

i would never have thought of the argument "we should preserve confederate monuments because they'll give us an insight into historical metallurgy" if i was writing this bit for the onion

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mayor Dave posted:

I was so young, so Innocent

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mayor Dave posted:

that escalator belongs in a museum! !!!!!!!!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

i always thought carnys were nazish but boy was i wrong

Nah, wrestling has always been an extremely accepting environment. Pat Patterson was openly gay and living with his partner since the early-1970's and no one in the company ever gave an actual gently caress.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a rubbish zinfandel

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82B_GQkxUU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
do you think they'll tear down the trump tower one day?

i mean, Führerbunker or w/e

or is that mar a lago

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

You are thinking of visiting a museum tomorrow. I've seen human artifacts 5000 years old in museums. Do you think the South will rise again 500 years from now from gazing upon a statue?

do you think they will rise again from not

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mayor Dave posted:

remember when hell on earth was a sequel to the "computer game" called Doom

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

do you think they'll tear down the trump tower one day?

they will build a sarcophagus around it like they've done at chernobyl.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because love overrides your survival instinct. People will run into a burning building to save someone they love. And the survival instinct is inherently doomed, you can not survive. But the things you love can outlive you. So love allows people to actually make rational decisions by overriding the flawed survival instinct.

Love causes you to feed and clothe the parasite that will one day replace you as a functioning adult, overcoming the short term survival instinct in favor of long term species viability.

:biotruths:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I liked Ubik. The chick's powers were kind of weird but I guess they needed to set up the twist later with them so idk

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Guy Goodbody posted:

good think i have the ability to override my other emotions int he name of self preservation.

*george kastanzas out of the burning house*

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Because it is history. Museums are for you to appreciate the entirety of human history and help you learn from the decisions of the billions of people who have lived before you. These statues allow proof that there were times of terrorism and racism so that racist and terrorist states aren't just tall tales you don't really believe.

Would you believe that dinosaurs existed if we didn't have their bones?

this isn't scientific history like dinosaurs, this is politicized history that is actually current day events. it's politicized to do put something like this in a museum -- you're giving it an elevated place to be studied and viewed, when it frankly isn't important enough to be studied. the "let's put it in a museum" argument is literally only there to make racists feel like they've won somehow and to give them an out to worship their genocidal ancestry

museums are filtered, they're not the entirety of human existence. when you see the vietnam war exhibit at a museum, you're not seeing the entire war injected in your brain from start to finish -- you're getting the sparknotes version. So you're saying these jim crow era white supremacist statues deserve to be showcased in museums rather than being a footnote in wikipedia? I dunno if I'll ever agree with that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at the brokebrains at the bottom of this reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/6to43e/dallas_confederate_statues_must_come_down/

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

actually its horselover in the book, more literally horsebro; horsefucker would be uh, erohip i guess?

mrhands richard

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Al! posted:

things dont magically appear in museums, if you believe in this this strongly perhaps you can open a kickstarter? there are probably plenty of ppl who would donate on many sides

many sides

Yeah, the Indus Valley coin I saw was preserved by a long line of people hoping for the triumphant return of the Harappa. All political.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Admiral Ray posted:

they will build a sarcophagus around it like they've done at chernobyl.

the real trump taj mahal~

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah, wrestling has always been an extremely accepting environment. Pat Patterson was openly gay and living with his partner since the early-1970's and no one in the company ever gave an actual gently caress.

yeah i think it was just class prejudice on my part, the same way that i know that juggalos (which is basically poor white kids getting into carny culture) are left wing now when i used to think they were right wing

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

Love is the only thing worth living for in this burning shitheap of a world.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mayor Dave posted:

Remember when, instead of literal Nazis, the americans we fought were the ones with the wrong opinions about Ghostbusters®

zakkro
May 29, 2015

https://twitter.com/helytimes/status/897582306998624256

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

thank goodness this statue of a confederate soldier was made of pure damascus steel

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
gently caress it i take it back we need to preserve the history of metallurgy, proceed

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jazerus posted:

the shameful thing about asoiaf is that there's a great setting in there that should have produced a really interesting story but grrm doesn't have the writing chops to pull it off, and is also creepy as hell

unironically, there's long-form asoiaf fanfiction (usually about a what-if, like what-if ned stark lived) that's better than the books purely because it's way less creepy and sadistic

agreed grrm is overrated as a writer and his diction kinda a lotta sucks poo poo. but ill still read whatever books comes out that finally finished off the series.

i 100% believe brandon sanderson will end up finishing the series.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/897641478004068353

who's the twitter whore again

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Brogeoisie posted:

this isn't scientific history like dinosaurs, this is politicized history that is actually current day events. it's politicized to do put something like this in a museum -- you're giving it an elevated place to be studied and viewed, when it frankly isn't important enough to be studied. the "let's put it in a museum" argument is literally only there to make racists feel like they've won somehow and to give them an out to worship their genocidal ancestry

museums are filtered, they're not the entirety of human existence. when you see the vietnam war exhibit at a museum, you're not seeing the entire war injected in your brain from start to finish -- you're getting the sparknotes version. So you're saying these jim crow era white supremacist statues deserve to be showcased in museums rather than being a footnote in wikipedia? I dunno if I'll ever agree with that

are you for destroying all the nazi and holocaust poo poo in museums

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

that would be amazing really, to encase Trump Tower in a sarcophagus that will be sealed against entry for all time. a standing brutalist monument to our excess distilled into a single person: TRUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Al! posted:

yeah i think it was just class prejudice on my part, the same way that i know that juggalos (which is basically poor white kids getting into carny culture) are left wing now when i used to think they were right wing

juggalos........ good?

• Locked thread