Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Digging Undertale's trophy list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hahah was just coming here to post that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I hope it has a zero-point secret trophy for getting that ending. e: does Playstation assign points to trophies? I admit I'm more familiar with achievements.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

FredMSloniker posted:

I hope it has a zero-point secret trophy for getting that ending. e: does Playstation assign points to trophies? I admit I'm more familiar with achievements.

Naw, just a tier system of bronze, silver and gold (And platinum for 100%). Just make it not a trophy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The rest of the trophies are just for reaching certain areas, and then donating variously random amounts of money to a dog shrine (dognating)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After beating the first Megaman I've moved on to Megaman 2 (I already know to keep the crash bomb full for that one boss so I can prepare for that) and already it just feels better to play. I got about halfway through Bubbleman's stage with relative ease compared to Megaman 1's levels, it feels less difficult so far and therefore easier to start. The disappearing platforms were way more reasonable than Gutsman's moving platforms.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

After beating the first Megaman I've moved on to Megaman 2 (I already know to keep the crash bomb full for that one boss so I can prepare for that) and already it just feels better to play. I got about halfway through Bubbleman's stage with relative ease compared to Megaman 1's levels, it feels less difficult so far and therefore easier to start. The disappearing platforms were way more reasonable than Gutsman's moving platforms.

Cheers, the music gets WAY better starting here. 2 and 3's soundtracks, like, still stand up today. They're loving good and just about every track is somebody's favorite vg track of all time

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The intro music to Mega Man 3 is the best music the NES ever produced.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

food court bailiff posted:

It's no Solstice theme

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The entire soundtrack to Quattro Adventure would like a word.

Seriously I think that thing has a higher quality of music to quality of game ratio than freaking Mystic Quest.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's no Solstice theme

Well yeah, but MM3 is probably a close second.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

FredMSloniker posted:

Having a trophy for it incentivizes you to go for that ending, which runs counter to the game's theme of player choice. The same thing can be said about any of the other alternate endings as well. That said, I am a bit surprised that the last progression trophy is in the Core, and not in Final Corridor or in seeing any ending.

Making solid trophies for Undertale is a bit difficult, because it doesn't want to give away the spoilers of any boss or ending. Someone suggested that trophies could have been for doing silly easter egg things, which is possible, but is unfortunately not the case.

Dewgy posted:

The entire soundtrack to Quattro Adventure would like a word.

Seriously I think that thing has a higher quality of music to quality of game ratio than freaking Mystic Quest.

That's because Mystic Quest is a good game. :smugdog: It set out with a specific goal in mind, be a beginner's RPG, and it succeeded at that goal. Simple but cute story and characters and graphics, moderate difficulty with no real consequence for losing battles, a focus on exploring the dungeons rather than combat, and a kickin' soundtrack, all combine to suit the primary goal. It's not the most intricate title ever, but it's a complete package with little to no loose ends.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I disagree. it's Dr. Wily Stage 1 from Mega Man 2 imo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's no Solstice theme

that song is so unbelievably good i have difficulty comprehending it.

only the Plok ost can even begin to dream of being as good as the Solstice opening track.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

only the Plok ost can even begin to dream of being as good as the Solstice opening track.
Same composer, just in case you didn't know. :)

Usually this Silver Surfer music is named in the same breath as these two as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J0H5ah1G7A

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
the guardian legend

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vKr35iNATrc

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Here's something interesting from an interview with the composer, Tim Follin-- if you've even heard the Solstice theme, you've likely been listening to the wrong version.

quote:

Incidentally, the intro to the tune was inspired by a YES concert I’d recently been to – Rick Wakemen started the concert playing something quiet and childish on the organ, then there was a big explosion as the whole band came in with ‘Starship Trooper’ – in fact if you listen to the first two chords of Solstice, they’re essentially the same! Also I should mention that most versions on Youtube are the 60hz versions which are too fast – it was written at 50hz (PAL) and should be heard at that speed!

This is what he intended it to sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnI8gjMIl0

I still prefer the NTSC version more, though. :)

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

maou shoujo posted:

Making solid trophies for Undertale is a bit difficult, because it doesn't want to give away the spoilers of any boss or ending. Someone suggested that trophies could have been for doing silly easter egg things, which is possible, but is unfortunately not the case.
PS3/4/Vita Trophies can be set as hidden trophies that won't appear on the trophy list (except as a generic "this is a hidden trophy" placeholder) until you unlock them, which is already primarily used for story-related stuff.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So The Surge is a soulslike where Bad poo poo happens in a not-too-distant future causing all of the robots and most of the cybernetically-enhanced humans in a tech company to go crazy. A lot of its storyline is found via exploration and discovering hidden tape recordings left behind by people who have likely perished by the time the protagonist is walking around. There are also a couple of visual easter eggs, including one tucked away in a hidden corner that makes a gruesome reference to a Borderlands 2 quest where you help a malfunctioning robot become 'human' by helping it attach severed limbs to itself.

"me human" :stare:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A lot of Borderlands writing was bit too "zany" for me but that Robot wanting to be human was great. My favourite was when he tells you he just wants to be put in a radio so he can make music then attempts to blow out your eardrums.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

U.T. Raptor posted:

PS3/4/Vita Trophies can be set as hidden trophies that won't appear on the trophy list (except as a generic "this is a hidden trophy" placeholder) until you unlock them, which is already primarily used for story-related stuff.

You can also give them a different description (such as a vague hint) that changes when you unlock it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Regrettable posted:

I disagree. it's Dr. Wily Stage 1 from Mega Man 2 imo.

Agreed.

https://youtu.be/WJRoRt155mA

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

U.T. Raptor posted:

Right. :doh: I should have remembered that. I didn't actually play many PS3 and up games, but I did play the Disgaea games, that for some reason made ALL of their trophies hidden. I don't really understand why Disgaea did that, because the Disgaea games don't have nearly as many things to spoil other than maybe secret postgame characters.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

maou shoujo posted:

Having a trophy for it incentivizes you to go for that ending, which runs counter to the game's theme of player choice.

Well, my thinking was that (and I admit I haven't played more than an hour of Undertale, so I could well be missing the point) the game tells you that the only reason you would get that ending is because you feel compelled to experience all the content of the game and don't care about 'murdering' a bunch of video game characters to get it. That's why I thought an achievement for reaching that ending would be appropriate. And because I'm more familiar with Xbox achievements than Playstation trophies, I thought it should be a 0-point achievement to fit the other theme of the ending, which is that you're not rewarded for reaching it. It would be an acknowledgement, nothing more.

On reflection, maybe it would be more appropriate to give such an 'achievement' for getting the Genocide ending, then getting the Soulless Pacifist ending.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Completing that ending should take away an achievement.

I do like that you don't even need to complete it to get all the gameplay content; you can bail out after the second boss, and you don't get penalized at all. You even get bonus dialogue if you immediately start the fight again after finishing it.

How does the PS4 version handle that ending anyway? I would imagine Sony wouldn't let it crash the game intentionally or make save data that can't be erased.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Whoever thought up the 2nd robotnik battle in Sonic Mania is a wonderful person.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

West of Loathing just came out, and it's a relentlessly charming game. It's filled to the brim with "little things" that are not only funny but also sometimes have small effects on gameplay or the mechanics therein.

For instance, being a game set in the wild west, there are a ton of cactuses everywhere. If you run into one your character will grimace a little bit and yelp, but otherwise won't break stride. If you run into enough cactuses you'll get the permanent perk "mostly scabs", which gives a small boost to max HP.

My favorite, though, is right out of the gate. In the settings menu there are three graphical presets: Good, Bad, and Ugly.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

scarycave posted:

Whoever thought up the 2nd robotnik battle in Sonic Mania is a wonderful person.

Was just about to post this.

I let out an audible "Holy gently caress, no way!" immediately. This game is great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Double Punctuation posted:

How does the PS4 version handle that ending anyway? I would imagine Sony wouldn't let it crash the game intentionally or make save data that can't be erased.

The achievement might actually have something to do with that- you can fully erase a game's sandbox on PS4, but you cannot delete achievements from your account. The game could be looking for the achievement itself.

(As of a few firmwares ago you *can* delete games from your history but only under very restrictive conditions that mostly apply to demos you didn't like.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You can delete any game you never got any trophies for, specifically.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

pulp rag posted:

Was just about to post this.

I let out an audible "Holy gently caress, no way!" immediately. This game is great.

For those of us that will never play it, what is it?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

synthetik posted:

For those of us that will never play it, what is it?

The second boss fight is you playing Puyo Puyo against Robotnik. Otherwise known as Mean Bean Machine, a reskin, in the US orginally.

It's such a fantastic throwback.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Probably the thing people have been posting about where you play Mean Bean Machine.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just booted it for the first time and, before doing anything, Ghost 1.0 asked if I wanted subtitles On. It's perfect and why can't everyone just do that?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Same composer, just in case you didn't know. :)

that was indeed what i was referencing

also, Follin made a sound track for loving Pictionary of all things that is way to good for that loving game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwh3erQlyE

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samuringa posted:

I just booted it for the first time and, before doing anything, Ghost 1.0 asked if I wanted subtitles On. It's perfect and why can't everyone just do that?

I really wish games would do this more. Especially the games that load right in and don't take you to the menu to start. I can't hear well enough to not have subtitles on. :(

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

swordfish duelist posted:

I really wish games would do this more. Especially the games that load right in and don't take you to the menu to start. I can't hear well enough to not have subtitles on. :(

I'm the same way, but only with games. If I'm watching a movie or TV it's fine, but with videogames I need subtitles. I wonder why that is?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I'm the same way, but only with games. If I'm watching a movie or TV it's fine, but with videogames I need subtitles. I wonder why that is?

You possibly may be lip-reading to fill in the blanks, and since a video game doesn't have any lips to read....

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Johnny Aztec posted:

You possibly may be lip-reading to fill in the blanks, and since a video game doesn't have any lips to read....

This is probably correct. I know I leave subtitles even on tv for certain things I watch. If there's a lot of background noise or someone has a somewhat strong accent then I can't make it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I do it because I can read faster than people speak, so I can concentrate on controlling my character while reading the dialogue in short bursts rather than trying to constantly listen and pay attention to what I'm doing.

Also videogames are noisy and it's sometimes hard to hear words over the constant sound of chainsawing alien nazis or whatever I happen to be doing.