Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's absolutely hard and I don't know how I would've gotten through certain parts without the switch palaces pressed, but overall I liked this level a lot more than I thought I would.

-----

I got a message from someone about the whole "take your time you won't die" thing in the previous level:

GlitchMr posted:

What happened is that the first version of VLDC9 base ROM for some reason broke Time Up deaths. This was a bug, and was fixed soon later, but author of this level decided to actually use this bug in their level for some reason. However, the bug wasn't inserted into a final level.

Not what I was expecting, but I would've been surprised if the author had actually been deliberately lying to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This thread got me interested in trying FF6 Beyond Chaos myself, and I thought I'd share some highlights from my game. I used the partyparty code for more sprite randomization, and opted out of randomized item stats and blitz inputs since I didn't want to make things needlessly hard on myself, but otherwise went with the default settings.

Turns out I needn't have worried, because my Terra is an absolute beast. One piece of endgame-tier equipment, Lore (with CleanSweep learned by default), natural Magic, and R-Phys, which as you'd expect generates a random physical attack. It seems to favor Quadra Slam/Slash, and has yet to trigger a move that harms me.

I decided not to go with the default anime names, but to stay in the spirit of the hack.

The brief and unlikely situation in FF6 where taking steps after battle is your only source of healing.

Locke's a purple Imp, and the moogles are a coven of elderly Celeses...

Edgar's a dingy Gogo...

...and Relm could not possibly have ended up in a better role.

Some quality enemy names. Fric has Tools, and Chany has Blitz, so it looked like I was all set to steamroll through the early game.

The secret basement in South Figaro where you normally find the RunningShoes had a monster-in-a-box who gave me the first party wipe of the game. It one-shotted me with Aqua Rake.

Interceptor's sidekick is Laser Lemon Locke. I had high hopes for him, which of course meant he would end up having almost no redeeming qualities.

Also, I'm loaded. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any phoenix downs since Figaro Castle, where I only had the foresight to buy one. This one gets used on the Lete River, where there's a tanky holy elemental enemy (so, healed by AuraBolt) who likes to repeatedly cast Ice on my whole party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TATZP1JTAaI
The Ultros fight almost goes very badly, but I get by just because my damage output is so high. Banon is my only outright terrible party member so far, but at least he's another Item user. Aside from the occasional lucky Sun Bath, tonics are my only source of healing in battle. I don't even have Lagomorph as all the Slot skills have been randomized too. It's been replaced by Revenge. :downsbravo:

More enemy names. The chicken-centipede is Hill Bus, which is simply adorable.

I was so impressed by Owne that I neglected to notice he was accompanied by two of the guys who annihilated me with Aqua Rake earlier. That happened again, I load state... aaaand I'm back at the start of Lete River with my save file overwritten. Fantastic.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 16, 2017

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
That might have been the most rude single spike I've ever seen in a romhack.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

flarp22 posted:

That might have been the most rude single spike I've ever seen in a romhack.

I can see why it's there, the level is designed for small Mario and it'd be an issue if the player becomes big Mario and gets killed by lava due to their bigger hitbox.

That said there had to be a better way to undo the forced Mushroom from the midpoint than that.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said there had to be a better way to undo the forced Mushroom from the midpoint than that.

El Classico Big Mario filter

Used in kaizo hacks longer than I remember, and since there's nothing in the item box you don't need to worry about a powerup dropping down. If you think the player is going to try and slide under to intentionally break it...

This will prevent them from getting through big or from getting stuck by spinjumping into a wall.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Been meaning to ask—I can't remember which levels it's come up in, but what exactly are you talking about when you criticize a level for cutoff?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Rollersnake posted:

Been meaning to ask—I can't remember which levels it's come up in, but what exactly are you talking about when you criticize a level for cutoff?

Tiles, especially vines, abruptly cutting off without any logical anchor in the environment.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 28 - Dickworm Teleport :siren:

We have special guests Faerie Fortune and CJacobs this episode, and in spite of Fae's ability to derail anything, anywhere, anytime, we somehow largely stayed on topic? Don't look at me, man. I dunno how the gently caress that happened.

Rollersnake posted:

I load state... aaaand I'm back at the start of Lete River with my save file overwritten. Fantastic.

Did you call it quits there, or soldier on? I'm curious to see if you got any W - [ability] skills on future characters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

It's absolutely hard and I don't know how I would've gotten through certain parts without the switch palaces pressed, but overall I liked this level a lot more than I thought I would.
I still think that the punishment for screwing up in a level filled with opportunities to do so shouldn't be "instant death," and that level was worse at doing that than other ones we've seen. IMO it deserves its bottom 10 ranking. Can't wait for the last and top 10 levels!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

liquidypoo posted:

Did you call it quits there, or soldier on? I'm curious to see if you got any W - [ability] skills on future characters.

My Cyan had W-Ice but I didn't really get a chance to play around with it. Since you're interested, I'll at least play back to that point to show it off, though.

I haven't decided if I want to call it quits yet—not because it would be that much trouble to get back to where I was, but because I'm really tempted to start over and see if I end up with something even cooler.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 18, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What do W-foo actions do?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What do W-foo actions do?

It casts two spells with that description in a row. Like for W-Ice, it'd cast two random ice-elemental spells/attacks. In my experience about half the time the second spell won't go off, or hits somebody in the party if it does.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Second FF6 Beyond Chaos attempt—already way better than the first. :allears:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Jade Rider posted:

It casts two spells with that description in a row. Like for W-Ice, it'd cast two random ice-elemental spells/attacks. In my experience about half the time the second spell won't go off, or hits somebody in the party if it does.

Yeah, the bit regarding the second cast was what I was most curious about. The seed I was playing on my phone for a while has someone with W-Elem, and the second cast just blasts the party more often than not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
CJacobs gets an A+ for that David Bowie reference.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

liquidypoo posted:

Yeah, the bit regarding the second cast was what I was most curious about. The seed I was playing on my phone for a while has someone with W-Elem, and the second cast just blasts the party more often than not.
Put on armor/shields that absorb Ice and take the free heal with your attack?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

liquidy equip the Gem Box :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

oldskool posted:

liquidy equip the Gem Box :allears:

he has, and before you ask your followup question, yes, the answer is yes.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we make our foray into the mutated cave and deal with lava walls and pits.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 12

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I didn't mean for this to be so long but because we used savestates and this is also a puzzle level, the majority of it is just us learning the level slowly. There really wasn't much opportunity or reason to cut out the few legit deaths that occurred without the video still being long so here's a longer than usual video for you all.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
There were some neat ideas in that level, but about half of it looked like a complete pain in the rear end and it was far, far too long and same-y looking.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That level's music is such a godawful choice for it. 23 seconds of intro that you have to listen to over and over and over again because you're constantly getting killed by this really bad level.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I don't know if you guys explained it before, but what exactly is a "swiss" level in Mario World?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A level designed by a person who lives in the country of Switzerland, I assume? The flagpole FP climbed at the end of the level was bearing Switzerland's national flag.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Swiss Hotel was an equally long and weird level, albeit one with a much more forgiving design. There's probably some reason the two Swiss levels are similar in those respects but I don't recall it being explained.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That level should have been half as long as it was and should have stuck only with one of those two themes. Are you gonna redo the bullet hell level in Space World again?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

get that OUT of my face posted:

That level should have been half as long as it was and should have stuck only with one of those two themes. Are you gonna redo the bullet hell level in Space World again?

No, we gave that level a fair chance and saw the gist of it. I gave this one another chance because I saw how different it got after the first segment and wanted to see it for myself.

XavierGenisi posted:

I don't know if you guys explained it before, but what exactly is a "swiss" level in Mario World?

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure myself. As far as I can tell, the whole "swiss" level thing seems to have originated from some injoke and usually designates a level that is way out there in terms of the craziness and engine manipulation it manages to achieve. It might not always look pretty, but it's usually weird and ridiculously creative (though not always well designed). This level and Swiss Hotel before it both embody those criteria. In this year's contest, VLDCX, there were three or four "swiss" levels submitted. I've only seen one of them, and it's a doozy. Clever and weird and creative as hell, but is this good Mario design? Doubtful.

That's my best guess at the origin and criteria for them. Maybe Tyty knows more.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Basically levels made by the people behind JUMP iirc. The reason they picked the moniker swiss is beyond me but I actually think it has to do with this level.

They chewed out someone not part of the "cool kids club" for wanting to use the word swiss in their level name in VLDCX this year and I don't exactly think particularly highly of the design ethos myself. Unfortunately this is the direction SMW level design seems to be trending, so, eh.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If the level had cut out the first section and instead just been the caves+minigames section it would probably have worked a lot better. Since it seems that's where most of the focus went. The first part of the level seemed more to be a highly technical mario level.

Actually you could cut out the entire minigames section too and get a hard but well put together mario level.

Both in the same level is just kind of too much.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tyty posted:

Basically levels made by the people behind JUMP iirc. The reason they picked the moniker swiss is beyond me but I actually think it has to do with this level.

They chewed out someone not part of the "cool kids club" for wanting to use the word swiss in their level name in VLDCX this year and I don't exactly think particularly highly of the design ethos myself. Unfortunately this is the direction SMW level design seems to be trending, so, eh.

Half doors and spike gates just seem especially dickish to me, punishing people who play well while removing any kind of crutch a lucky but unskilled player might have. But judging by the fact that a lot of the harder levels abuse programming oversights it's pretty obvious that they know their audience and play to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Okay that level was weird but really cool. I like how it hosed around with your usual movement options, for instance in the areas where you couldn't jump. Might not have been a perfect execution, but definitely one of the most mechanically creative levels.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tyty posted:

Insular online communities always end up cannibalizing themselves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just a quick note that baldurk has archived the Eris LP. Thanks, baldurk!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 29 - Not Here For Subtlety :siren:

Our good friend Ryushikaze rejoins us as a guest in this episode. I try to bring back 90's era phrases, a funny bit I edited into the video is drowned out and goes unnoticed by co-commentators (:smith:), and we find out what kinda weird poo poo Jean dreams about.

Alternate video title: Honor Management Issues

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

One of my randomizers had Raiden be an empty esper. :v: Thankfully I savestated before transforming Odin.

Also what did you edit in? I didn't catch anything.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

When we see Bahamut, Dem starts cackling like a loon, and Feyer emulates the loss noise from The Price is Right as best he can. They both drown out the sad trombone I'd edited into the pre-commentary version I sent them :v:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

Glorious :allears:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Jade Rider posted:

One of my randomizers had Raiden be an empty esper. :v: Thankfully I savestated before transforming Odin.

Also what did you edit in? I didn't catch anything.

gently caress. I had both Bahamut and Raiden empty. Luckily Odin was pretty useful.

Also these enemies that toss items doing 2-5k damage. Oh, and yeah, I can't run away from those either, and one of those encounters is a painting in Owzer's house :suicide:

And here I thought I was going to party like it was 1999 62.owzmciqetlnfspd.19991231.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I think I'm going to say Midori's dead. All my time poking at FE hacks has been looking at the Blitz.

It's pretty good.

• Locked thread