Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears you can destroy the Heavies in the final boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Not sure if it's just because I'm really drunk or what, but Titanic Monarch is giving me a hell of a time. Super fun mind you, but a hell of a time nonetheless.

Also, a) I'm to understand that there's a final Super Sonic fight akin to S3&K? and b) if so, can I repeat the same special stage rings via stage select like in S3&K, or do I have to go throuh and get all 7 Chaos Emeralds in one unbroken run? and c) is that still Sonic-exclusive or availible to Knuckles and Tails as well?

EDIT: Verified B to be true for myself. The other two still stand.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 16, 2017

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
If you're playing as Sonic do yourself a favor and try the drop dash move they added, it's like spin dash but even better!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Knuckles alternate path on Flying Battery Zone 2 is loving amazing y'all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

One disappointing thing
Super Tails & Knuckles still just do the white flashing they did in S3&K, with maybe some subtle color changes. And no new animations beyond the transformation. I assume this is a Sega decision, because I imagine the team would have been eager to make cool new sprites and animations for the two.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

One disappointing thing
Super Tails & Knuckles still just do the white flashing they did in S3&K, with maybe some subtle color changes. And no new animations beyond the transformation. I assume this is a Sega decision, because I imagine the team would have been eager to make cool new sprites and animations for the two.

Or they didn't have time to add such primo nonsense 'cause the game ain't called Knuckles Mania

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's what Super Tails and Knuckles have always looked like, and Sega has been pretty clear that they want Super Sonic and the other hedgehogs as the only character whose super modes are canon and unique looking.

Ian Flynn talked about this once and it's why Turbo Tails and Hyper Knuckles stopped appearing after the reboot.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Or they didn't have time to add such primo nonsense 'cause the game ain't called Knuckles Mania

Um, excuse me sir, i think you you will find that Sonic Knuckles Mania is a no chuckle zone. :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trash Boat posted:

Um, excuse me sir, i think you you will find that Sonic Knuckles Mania is a no chuckle zone. :colbert:

i will be the one to set your knuckles free true

cleanse yourself with them cum stains that's in you

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just you wait until Sonic Mania & Knuckles is announced

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I understood the ending, more I think about it more confused I get. Was that Little Planet? Again? I mean I didn't even know we were there outside Stardust + Metallic. I'm just kinda confused like a moron.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what Super Tails and Knuckles have always looked like, and Sega has been pretty clear that they want Super Sonic and the other hedgehogs as the only character whose super modes are canon and unique looking.

Ian Flynn talked about this once and it's why Turbo Tails and Hyper Knuckles stopped appearing after the reboot.

Then what was up with Overclocked Nicole? Cause that was definitely a super mode.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Excuse me.

I like Sonic Mania.

I like all of you, too :unsmith:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've always liked Knuckles more than Sonic and wish he got a good spin-off series. Chaotix Mania when, Sega?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish I understood the ending, more I think about it more confused I get. Was that Little Planet? Again? I mean I didn't even know we were there outside Stardust + Metallic. I'm just kinda confused like a moron.

Yeah that was the Little Planet. I'm as confused as you.

I had trouble interpreting the secret boss too was Robotnik fighting like a rogue robot he made?

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I've always liked Knuckles more than Sonic and wish he got a good spin-off series. Chaotix Mania when, Sega?

& Knuckles City Ransom

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's DA Garden?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shadowlyger posted:

Then what was up with Overclocked Nicole? Cause that was definitely a super mode.

Not really connected to the chaos emeralds and really just something that works in the computer world stuff. SEGA is a lot more picky about that kind of thing and with changing stuff related to the Sega characters.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
just played through as knuckles, knuckles is still the best hedgehog

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

HOLY loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/doryannelson/status/897594257652858880

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRNpijwCNA

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 16, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

oh my god

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Played some more of this yesterday. I'm dying a lot but I know it's mostly just me being dumb. Currently stuck at the Oil Ocean act 2 boss. I went in with 5 lives and fire shield and still game overed. I'm bad at this game.

Switch version has been smooth for the most part so far but I did hit one major bug at the end of Hydrocity act 1 where I went too far to the right of the victory screen and the game froze. I had to exit and restart the game. Haven't seen any gamebreaking stuff since then.

Stardust Speedway was a fantastic nostalgia trip. :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Frankston posted:

What's DA Garden?
I don't have the game yet (waiting for PC) but that's Sonic CD's name for a music test + visualizer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got really lost/stuck in CPZ Act 2 last night, I have no idea how. I got to a part where there was a pool of blue lava, a small pool of the green bouncy goo and then a pool of the blue bouncy goo. The green bouncy goo wouldn't bounce me high enough to get anywhere, and there was a ceiling above the blue bouncy goo. I couldn't see where else to go, so I managed to get perched on the lip of a ramp on the other side of the blue lava, and spin dash back up.

Game is fun but I wish I didn't have a job and other responsibilities so that I could spend more than an hour playing it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress me what's the trick with Stardust Speedway boss? It's kicking my rear end running back and forth trying to get these little fuckers to knock into him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I got really lost/stuck in CPZ Act 2 last night, I have no idea how. I got to a part where there was a pool of blue lava, a small pool of the green bouncy goo and then a pool of the blue bouncy goo. The green bouncy goo wouldn't bounce me high enough to get anywhere, and there was a ceiling above the blue bouncy goo. I couldn't see where else to go, so I managed to get perched on the lip of a ramp on the other side of the blue lava, and spin dash back up.

Game is fun but I wish I didn't have a job and other responsibilities so that I could spend more than an hour playing it.

That room has a bustable ceiling right above the super bouncy green goo.

Turtlicious posted:

gently caress me what's the trick with Stardust Speedway boss? It's kicking my rear end running back and forth trying to get these little fuckers to knock into him.

Spindash into them if they come out the gate with a spindash, otherwise jump on them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Spindash into them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hrist posted:

On PS4 I keep getting the thing where the music just stops. Sometimes a boss fight will do it, and then it comes back on the boss theme when they die. Sometimes the special stages stop. And then you just run around. Alone with your thoughts.

Same
As far as I'm concerned this is a gamebreaking bug

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That room has a bustable ceiling right above the super bouncy green goo.
Oh, huh. Nothing seemed to happen when I hit into it. I'll have to try it again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:eyepop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just posting to say I got Sonic Mania on Switch last night and it's really good, friends!! We did it, we made it to Mania and it's actually good!!!

What a time to be alive

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Kind of surprised this game is only an 86 on metacritic but I forget Sonic games even when actually good don't review well for some reason

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Only an 86".

Geez.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scores were a mistake

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this doesn't seem to have been posted. i would say it's a fakepost but the responses....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419688

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Played some more of this yesterday. I'm dying a lot but I know it's mostly just me being dumb. Currently stuck at the Oil Ocean act 2 boss. I went in with 5 lives and fire shield and still game overed. I'm bad at this game.

Switch version has been smooth for the most part so far but I did hit one major bug at the end of Hydrocity act 1 where I went too far to the right of the victory screen and the game froze. I had to exit and restart the game. Haven't seen any gamebreaking stuff since then.

Stardust Speedway was a fantastic nostalgia trip. :allears:

If you're still having trouble he pops up in the same place at beginning of the fight everytime so just wait under him and jump up just before he pulls the platform down and you should be able to bounce on top him a few times before the battle actually begins the most I got was four which is half of his health.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It must've taken me at least four Game Overs before I finally beat that goddamned FBZ Act 2 spider boss.

I'm not a young man anymore.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you're still having trouble he pops up in the same place at beginning of the fight everytime so just wait under him and jump up just before he pulls the platform down and you should be able to bounce on top him a few times before the battle actually begins the most I got was four which is half of his health.

Yep I figured this out pretty quickly, but as soon as i get hit once and lose rings, I can't get them back and just die each time. I've only faced him a couple of times so I just need to keep trying while i'm not sleep-deprived (stupid sucky job).

If 10yo me knew that in 20 years i'd be rushing through the work day to get home so I can play a 2D sonic game, his mind would be blown.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sonic Mania is very good.

My only gripe is the CRT filter isn't bright enough but I can handle the unfiltered graphics option.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I turned on CRT-soft and i'm never turning it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Relin posted:

this doesn't seem to have been posted. i would say it's a fakepost but the responses....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419688

you play how you want
going as fast as possible isn't gonna happen your first time through a level since you aren't familiar with the level layout

this is the thing about old school Sega games that a lot of people who grew up with Mario struggle to wrap their heads around, they have very different design philosophies. Games like Sonic, Knights, and Gunstar Heroes have very arcade-like philosophy. They're built for multiple playthroughs, getting to the end of the game isn't hard on its own and you can brute-force your way past many obstacles. You replay levels, learn the layouts more, discover secrets, and push to do better each time you play the game, or find new ways to approach levels. It's very easy to playthrough an entire Sonic game in one sitting, but you can play it a different way every time. It's different from how Mario provides a structured challenge with a definitive ending, Sonic levels are more loosely-structured playgrounds that encourage multiple approaches and give the player a ton of flexibility in how they want to play. Using your momentum to send yourself flying over obstacles that might've challenged you at one point is super-satisfying in Sonic, this wouldn't really work in a Mario game though since skipping obstacles also means skipping the "tutorials" for future obstacles.

the consequence of this style is that occasionally the game throws something at you that can be a bit obtuse but it's worth it for how fun and replayable the games are

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 16, 2017