Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002
What's the best burger place these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Milksteak posted:

lotteria, for ever and always

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jeoh posted:

lotteria, for ever and always

when you need mozzarella sticks at 3 am, there's only one place...

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

Milksteak posted:

Haven't tried too many places, but firebell is pretty good. Though, the last time I went there was a long wait and there were a lot more people. Apparently it was featured on some Korean show..

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Gilgamesh_Novem fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 21, 2021

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Rain. rain for days.*

*unless you are on jeju apparently

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Gilgamesh_Novem fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 21, 2021

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
LOL if you don't eat at Kraze burger

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

nervana posted:

LOL if you don't eat at Kraze burger

I thought they closed down??? The ICN branch, the SNU branch, the 숙대 branch... all closed a couple of years ago.

The KG burger was amazing.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

I thought they closed down??? The ICN branch, the SNU branch, the 숙대 branch... all closed a couple of years ago.

The KG burger was amazing.

afaik they still have one near Seoul Station. Kind of a shame because in Korea Lotteria has the best local style burger(and mozzarella sticks) but when you wanted a real burger that tastes like stuff from back home Kraze is best.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nervana posted:

in Korea Lotteria has the best local style burger

What the gently caress you going on about. Is the European Frica Cheese the best example of korean style hamburger? U need that slice of yellow bell pepper tossed onto a deep fried haunch of cheese to shed a single tear when you face mount Baekdu

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
At least one Korea goon had a 봉구스 addiction.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Having returned from Korea, my main conclusions are that the girls really love jorts for some reason and that properly air-conditioned trains are amazing.

On the other hand, any train system is amazing when compared with BART, but that particularly hits home when crammed on a packed train with zero ventilation in the dead of summer.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
your takeaway is jorts? did you not eat the food or something

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

district 12 posted:

your takeaway is jorts? did you not eat the food or something

Kimbap 'regular brain'
Aircon subway 'mega brain'
Jorts 'buddha brain'

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Where does "baggy white tee under a sundress" fit on the brain chart?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I haven't seen the jorts? I'm even in a crowded downtown area looking out from a second floor cafe window and nothing. Is it just the hottest new trend in Seoul that hasn't spread south?

Those cheap oversized t-shirts under sundresses just baffle me. Sort of made sense five years ago when having holes cut for your shoulders was edgy. But now fully bare shoulders are pretty accepted, so why are the shirts still a thing?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I've seen jorts a lot after moving from Chungnam-do, so I do think it just hasn't spread yet.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Bugblatter posted:

I haven't seen the jorts? I'm even in a crowded downtown area looking out from a second floor cafe window and nothing. Is it just the hottest new trend in Seoul that hasn't spread south?

Those cheap oversized t-shirts under sundresses just baffle me. Sort of made sense five years ago when having holes cut for your shoulders was edgy. But now fully bare shoulders are pretty accepted, so why are the shirts still a thing?

What, you want to get tan? Like a peasant?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I've also noticed an increase in jorts-wearers. I also saw a Korean dude with a swastika tattoo wearing one

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure one of the 10 commandments is to mock people who wear jorts.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

nervana posted:

I've also noticed an increase in jorts-wearers. I also saw a Korean dude with a swastika tattoo wearing one

I mean, it's just a buddhist thing here.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Everyone was wearing jorts in Seoul last week, is it the new hotness?

Also, why do you call a beach motel a "pension?" And why do people let their dogs at at aforementioned beach motels and let them form roving gangs of dogs in the parking lots.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pensions don't have any particular connection to beaches. Most are up in the mountains. They also are normally something closer to a vacation condo than a motel.

As for the name, I'm pretty sure it's just a bit of old konglish.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

TsarZiedonis posted:

Also, why do you call a beach motel a "pension?" And why do people let their dogs at at aforementioned beach motels and let them form roving gangs of dogs in the parking lots.

In English speaking countries that aren't the US, a "pensioner" is an person who has retired and is getting their equivalent of Social Security check (aka "retirement benefits"). So in Korean, a "pension" house or whatever is a place that's marketed as a vacation or retirement community. Basically, the kind of place where you'd want to go retire and live.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Pension is seemingly a generic term. I've been to several pensions that turned out to be basic motels.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually they call it a pension because dumb waygooks blow their pension checks on them to stay in Korea a week after their contract ends. :eng101:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Huh, that's kind of neat. The etymology of loan words in the language is cool. Like, this was the first time I'd heard people use the term "Vacons" for summer break.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

TsarZiedonis posted:

Huh, that's kind of neat. The etymology of loan words in the language is cool. Like, this was the first time I'd heard people use the term "Vacons" for summer break.

Both are French loan words. pension for hotel/bordinghouse and vacance for holiday.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Busan Vacance is the only vacation theme song you need.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

TsarZiedonis posted:

Everyone was wearing jorts in Seoul last week, is it the new hotness?

A good amount of people just abandon their dogs while on vacation, registration for pets is a thing now, but plenty of people don't. :(

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I would bet money that that usage of pension came via the Japanese occupation, as Japan uses the same term and actually had significant French influence, more than Korea I think.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Where does "baggy white tee under a sundress" fit on the brain chart?

Pic

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hi goons

Does anyone ITT have experience with JLP as opposed to EPIK or whatever the other public school programs are? I seem to have missed the boat for all of them except JLP, and I've had an email from a recruiter asking to set up an interview. Are they pretty much the same thing but related to different parts of the country? From reading around it sounds like you might get paid a bit more working in Jeollanam-do as compensation for being stuck on an island somewhere really rural with poor transport links, which doesn't sound ideal to me

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
The one thing about rural schools is you're less likely to have a lot of deskwarming as they basically close the school down during breaks.

Overall, you'll have more vacation and pay than a hagwon. There are always rolling openings for public school jobs if you go via recruiter.

If location is the most important for you, then expect to cross your fingers and hope you find a decent hagwon.

Think of your first job in Korea as setting the base for you to get that better second job. If you're only thinking one year, I wouldn't do it in the middle of nowhere.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Hi goons

Does anyone ITT have experience with JLP as opposed to EPIK or whatever the other public school programs are? I seem to have missed the boat for all of them except JLP, and I've had an email from a recruiter asking to set up an interview. Are they pretty much the same thing but related to different parts of the country? From reading around it sounds like you might get paid a bit more working in Jeollanam-do as compensation for being stuck on an island somewhere really rural with poor transport links, which doesn't sound ideal to me

There's no significant difference between EPIK and JLP aside from region.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah public schools are all basically the same deal. GNET is the only one with any significant differences. What matters to your working life is primarily your principal and coteacher(s), which there's no predicting.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

It's time for the SUPER no effort Thanksgooning post 2k17! IF YOU THOUGHT WE HIT THE BOTTOM, WE AINT DONE DIGGING!

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
This year, due to some jerk getting married on the weekend after real Thanksgiving, we'll be pushing it back to the first weekend of December, so on the 2nd put on your fat boy pants and come on down!

We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year will be a repeat of last year. Meats (Turkeys, Hams) will be catered in, Popeyes, Arbys, Murican Taco Bell, what the hell ever. Special guest chefs will be in attendance to do whatever they feel like cooking up as well. As allways, that being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only, generally 10k to 15k won a head is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the difference.

Where's it at?
We're back down in SONGTAAAAN
Easiest way from Seoul is the bus from Nambu to Songtan Terminal, by train it's Line 1 at Songtan Station.
From there, you can _try_ and say "Town Sweet", the name of the neighborhood, but more than likely you'll have to say "Han-il Apartment" which is just up the road. Also, if you find the Green 55 bus, that drops off right at Han-il apartment as well.

Here's a map link:
http://naver.me/FYhbA556

And here's the address:
297-9 Dokgok-dong, Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 평택시 독곡동 297-9

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor/about the house if they desire. There are also a few motels in the area as well as the Grand Sauna which is actually pretty grand if that's your jam. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone. ALSO NEW PUPPER MOCHI!

(pupper may have grown considerably)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Awwww, I wanna meet Mochi. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Awwww, I wanna meet Mochi. :(

Well you shouldn't have been such a quitter.