Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

maskenfreiheit posted:

I found an albino birb on Reddit.

Enjoy!

I think you mean OWLbino :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

maskenfreiheit posted:

I found an albino birb on Reddit.

Enjoy!

You can't fool me. That's not a bird, it's the secret new form of that evil wish granting weasel from that anime I vowed never to watch.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You can't fool me. That's not a bird, it's the secret new form of that evil wish granting weasel from that anime I vowed never to watch.

off-topic: madoka magicka is actually very good, and this from a person who can count the animes she's watched on one hand :shobon:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

It's Mochi's hatch day, and he's two! Unfortunately I'm not in Canada to celebrate with him, but mr. ana will do a good job. According to recent reports, now that he is a big boy, he has learned to backsass and is spending a lot of time yodeling and shouting naaaaaaaaaaaw when asked to stop.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

No sadly, I only know of decent birb places on the Northside. Also Dr Adrian Gallagher best birb doctor.

Alg

Patrovsky posted:

There's one on Old Cleveland Rd near Coorparoo Junction, but I don't know how good it is.

Went there today, bird sections pretty small

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My birds just arrived at my new home in Western America and my health went from "dying" to "recovering" and I miss this little corner of the Internet.

gently caress my e/n life - how is everyone and their flock?!

P. S. I'm not crazy. Sometimes a certain diagnosis can make you a little...intense.

If the birbs weren't in bed you would all get pictures. I've never owned two parakeets that actually like each other. :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTR8BYzV2T4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDTuHu9xTQw

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

It's Mochi's hatch day, and he's two! Unfortunately I'm not in Canada to celebrate with him, but mr. ana will do a good job. According to recent reports, now that he is a big boy, he has learned to backsass and is spending a lot of time yodeling and shouting naaaaaaaaaaaw when asked to stop.

Happy Hatchday Mochi!!! <3

Guys?

My bird is so weird! So, I went to the store this am cos she was out of her fresh stuff, and I needed to get a few things anyway. I got some passionfruit for her and I, a banana, an apple, some broccoli/peppers/salad mix, and some blackberries.

I also picked up some swordfish they had, and I thought...oh! That would be great for lunch! So, I get home and Cricket helps me unload the groceries, and sees her stash of noms in the bags and is all happy and excited. I get my lunch all cooked, and get her fresh plate ready so we can eat together.

Well, apparently the banana is a missile and needs to be thrown across the room, and the passionfruit is OMGEVIL!!!! and must be screamed at. The apple, that she normally loves apparently is in cahoots with the passionfruit and gets chucked as well. Peppers, apparently, are acceptable today, and the broccoli is just waved around and then tossed in the same pile as the apple and banana. The fresh greens are meant to be tossed in the air like a tickertape parade. Blackberries are carefully carried inside the cage, thrown the bottom and then jumped on. She has dark purple toes now from ehr little grape stomping routine :( My bird shirt has purple birdie footprints now (sigh)

So, then she realizes that I have food on my plate that is untouched by birdie feet...and she knows birdie feet add flavor so over she comes. She is after my swordfish :( I say "Look we are eating broccoli! Yum!" She looks at me and pretty much gives me the look that goes "Dude...screw the broc. You have the fish and I want it." All it is is swordfish baked with a little seasoning and butter. Finally I give up and take some from the inside of the fish so no seasonings etc and let her have it. She grabs my fork and the fish and starts going " MMMMMMMMMMMMMM" "Its yummy" "Its good"

My friggin bird loves fish :( I looked it up and they can have some so I let her have a few more little bites, and managed to get her to eat broc off my fork as well...but geez. I had no idea conures loved fish lol

I finished up and put my plate away and she was telling me the whole time, "Its yummy" " Its good!" She figured out it was gone....so she bit me and fluttered away. Honestly...ungrateful little poo poo lol

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 15, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Cockatiels are a completely "herp and derp" gift from the space Jesus. ;)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cricket is so good :allears:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Cricket is so good :allears:

she tells me that too :( "Whos a goooooooooooooooooood birdiebird???" "Crickets a gooooooooooooooooood birdiebird" All day, everyday lol

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Samba update for everybody:

He is a velcro bird through and through. He hasn't tried regurgitating over the past bit but he loves being on and around me. His favourite toy in the world is playing with the rope on my housecoat.

I'm trying to sort out what sounds are natural for conures and which ones are just him because I don't want to get super excited about him 'talking' if that's just sounds conures make. He seems to be repeating the *kiss* *kiss* sound I make to him which is pretty distinct. Also he's making a new sound that I haven't heard before that has become a greeting of sorts with him. When I take him out of the cage he makes a sound like "ee-uh" "ee-uh" which might be his attempt at 'step up'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Log posted:

gently caress my e/n life - how is everyone and their flock?!

pluto pecked me right in the dang ear

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Testikles posted:

Samba update for everybody:

He is a velcro bird through and through. He hasn't tried regurgitating over the past bit but he loves being on and around me. His favourite toy in the world is playing with the rope on my housecoat.

I'm trying to sort out what sounds are natural for conures and which ones are just him because I don't want to get super excited about him 'talking' if that's just sounds conures make. He seems to be repeating the *kiss* *kiss* sound I make to him which is pretty distinct. Also he's making a new sound that I haven't heard before that has become a greeting of sorts with him. When I take him out of the cage he makes a sound like "ee-uh" "ee-uh" which might be his attempt at 'step up'.

1) give us ALL the Samba updates, I'm already quite fond of your dumb birb since he's clearly a mutt like mine :) relatedly -- a maroon-belly conure is boarding at work and I definitely think based on Samba's coloration he's a maroon belly/green cheek mix. Said maroon belly is just the sweetest thing in the world so :neckbeard:

2) conures are sometimes enthusiastic talkers but universally bad at it. Your 'is he saying a thing?' instincts are probably spot on. :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco has become extremely talkative recently, but nothing she says comes even close to being English.

Just a bunch of warks and splerks, puncuated by the typical sun conure AAAAAAAAAA

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Halloween Jack posted:

lookit its a shiny! *peck*

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout (a GCC) is growing a random orange feather on her right shoulder where a green feather should be.

I thought it was infected at first but she wasn't showing any signs of pain so I let it grow and today some of the waxy coating came off and the tip of a fiery orange feather poked out.

WTF?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ama has that poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

: gasp : Tell me about Pluto! I feel like Pluto has happened while I was in hospital.

I so badly want my own chickens someday. Although now that I said that aloud I'm sure you'll tell me it's somehow a macaw.

Edit : I've got a PM or two asking so I'll clarify that I was laid up because my pancreas tried to kill me again. It didn't. :)

My birbs? I swear their month or so away from me made them lovebirds instead of parakeets.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

taco found a hole in my shirt

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

GoldStandardConure posted:

taco found a hole in my shirt

"Found"

I'm sure. ;)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
its one of the few holes she hasn't bitten in clothes, the shirt came with it because you just can't trust internet shirts anymore

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

What shirt is that/where can you get it?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
everyday goast got it for me, you'll have to ask her

edit: here it is https://loversparrots.com/collections/custom-merch

GoldStandardConure fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 16, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

GoldStandardConure posted:

its one of the few holes she hasn't bitten in clothes, the shirt came with it because you just can't trust internet shirts anymore

To be fair, a sun conure shirt having a custom-built peeking hole would be extremely on-brand

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
who needs to pay for Yeezys when you have a sun conure that can make them for you?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

: gasp : Tell me about Pluto! I feel like Pluto has happened while I was in hospital.

I so badly want my own chickens someday. Although now that I said that aloud I'm sure you'll tell me it's somehow a macaw.

Edit : I've got a PM or two asking so I'll clarify that I was laid up because my pancreas tried to kill me again. It didn't. :)

My birbs? I swear their month or so away from me made them lovebirds instead of parakeets.

Whoa now don't go throwing the "lovebird" accusation around lightly! I am sure they are nowhere near that bloodthirsty.

e: it's a little known fact that lovebirds are actually obligate carnivores who survive solely on a diet of fresh fingats

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

No one ever has Nanday merch, it's a huge bummer when I get excited and then no Nanday :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I can't help but picture a Grey standing over their owner's corpse, tearing their heart out through their chest :ohdear:.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

mikerock posted:

Scout (a GCC) is growing a random orange feather on her right shoulder where a green feather should be.

I thought it was infected at first but she wasn't showing any signs of pain so I let it grow and today some of the waxy coating came off and the tip of a fiery orange feather poked out.

WTF?

Random mutations and common. That's how you get all red African greys because one grey grew a random red feather in an odd place.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Galbedir has bright yellow lining to his left wing despite being mostly green :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

:love:

Keep posting Steve and Otori pics, even though it's causing me to miss my dad's lutino cockatiel.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Whoa now don't go throwing the "lovebird" accusation around lightly! I am sure they are nowhere near that bloodthirsty.

e: it's a little known fact that lovebirds are actually obligate carnivores who survive solely on a diet of fresh fingats

True, true. I've always called them can openers with feathers.

Cockatiel, transform! (Derp herp derp derp) Potato mode activated!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Potato Salad posted:

Ama has that poo poo.

:yeah:

Two of em, and just on the one wing too. :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:yeah:

Two of em, and just on the one wing too. :confused:

Did you leave him out in the sun too long? :downsrim:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Yo Bird People, I have a question for those that might have experienced something like the following:

I own 3 budgies, two males, one female. One of them were/are a couple, until recently when I had to separate them. Basically the female became eggbound during what seemed to be her first laying attempt, 4 years in her life. She got taken to the vet after the initial recommendations didn't work out and the bird was becoming lethargic. Long story short, bird is saved and got quarantined for a while. Now the problem is this : vet said egg binding might have been from her size, considering she's quite small for a female and considering that all other things in terms of vitamins seems to be well going for her, and thus he recommended she stayed separate ideally during breeding season, IE: spring and summer :/

Is this a thing? To keep females separate for half the year? Won't the female being alone get worst health out of some forced couple separation? I really have no idea if that's a thing, but I assume animals still feel some form of it. So yeah : preventing egg binding while knowing the female has all her food needs and variation, how do i?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

StarMinstrel posted:

Yo Bird People, I have a question for those that might have experienced something like the following:

I own 3 budgies, two males, one female. One of them were/are a couple, until recently when I had to separate them. Basically the female became eggbound during what seemed to be her first laying attempt, 4 years in her life. She got taken to the vet after the initial recommendations didn't work out and the bird was becoming lethargic. Long story short, bird is saved and got quarantined for a while. Now the problem is this : vet said egg binding might have been from her size, considering she's quite small for a female and considering that all other things in terms of vitamins seems to be well going for her, and thus he recommended she stayed separate ideally during breeding season, IE: spring and summer :/

Is this a thing? To keep females separate for half the year? Won't the female being alone get worst health out of some forced couple separation? I really have no idea if that's a thing, but I assume animals still feel some form of it. So yeah : preventing egg binding while knowing the female has all her food needs and variation, how do i?

I've had a bunch of parakeets and only seen genuine mating behaviour from my cockatiels. Parakeets tend to only get freaky when they think they have a nest. Look for anything cozy and remove it.

Pet store parakeets almost all have vision problems and are bred to be underweight. They really shouldn't breed.

I've never heard what the vet recommended but I'm not that kind of doctor.

This is awful, but petstore parakeets tend to live about four to seven years in my experience - even with solid diet and activity. They are very stroke prone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Nicky update. Fiancee coming home cheered her up immensely, but from the moment we had to force feed her the medicine/solution, she became a different bird. Almost stationary on her perch whenever we're near, suspicious of our every motion. Far less active, far less willing to eat. We've stopped force feeding her, and instead are working on rebuilding our relationship and finding daily new ways to trick her into drinking it, most of which involve her believing that she's drinking something that we're drinking. Getting her to eat enough has been a similar program. She's getting sick of the formula (even with peanut butter in it!) and doesn't always want to eat what we're eating. We offer her food, especially formula, far more often than she takes it to ensure that she's being encouraged to eat enough to actually get her to eat enough. Grinding up pellets into egg and then dry cooking them scrambled worked well this morning, but we have to make sure it doesn't put her off eggs alltogether, because it's the thing she most readily eats right now, and if she gets sick of it or decides the pellets ruin the eggs, we may run out of things she'll accept.

If anyone has any clever ways they've used to get their bird to eat or drink things, I'd love to hear them for future use, as this may go on for a good while.

Hey man, I noticed nobody really responded to your Nicky posts, so I just wanted to let you know that you're doing good. I don't have a lot of good advice to give, other than cockatoos of any stripe can be enormous fussy drama queens, and sometimes you've just got up power through their bullshit and make them do what they don't want to. It sucks, and it'll make you feel like an rear end in a top hat, but it's ultimately best for birb. She'll get over it, eventually.

Try gingersnaps for sheer calorific value. If Nicky likes fruit, maybe try injecting medications/dietary supplements into those? I had good success with that.