Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I had a whole movie about me having panic attacks

David: hold my frog bong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
They could subvert Shadow King and have it eventually become a reluctant ally against a bigger threat, like whatever it was that kidnapped the most powerful psychic on the planet with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Aleph Null posted:

They could subvert Shadow King and have it eventually become a reluctant ally against a bigger threat, like whatever it was that kidnapped the most powerful psychic on the planet with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever.

I had a laugh about that too. They could have at least made a reference to Leech or some other mutant nullifying thing to explain a bit. The new DOOM game ends in a similiar fashion: The entire game is always talking up what a legendary rear end kicker and scourge of hell you are, and the last level takes place entirely inside of the corpse of a gigantic demon that you killed in a past life because you are the ultimate dude.....and the game ends with you being trapped in some tube by your earpiece partner guy like the end of Half Life 1 or whichever has the G-Man just put you in stasis. Sort of lets the air out of the idea of how powerful you are.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just saw the pilot, I don't get this show.

It was confusing, writing wasn't great, actor playing Legion looks like a douche and the special effects were overall pretty bad. Yes I get it, it's meant to psychedelic and incomprehensible etc etc but this is Lost levels of bad writing and continuity issues, even knowing what Legion does. This is especially weird because I'm both a big X-Men and Fargo fan. Metacritic is also mostly positive but the reviews do say the show often doesn't make sense.

Is there something I'm not getting? Does the show suddenly get better?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Kawabata posted:

It was confusing, writing wasn't great, actor playing Legion looks like a douche and the special effects were overall pretty bad. Yes I get it, it's meant to psychedelic and incomprehensible etc etc but this is Lost levels of bad writing and continuity issues, even knowing what Legion does. This is especially weird because I'm both a big X-Men and Fargo fan. Metacritic is also mostly positive but the reviews do say the show often doesn't make sense.

If you didn't like it you didn't like it. You clearly stated your reasons why, and none of us are going to be able to tell you what you're not getting if you're not getting it.

You're wrong, but just move on and watch something else.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Continuity issues?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Kawabata posted:

It's definitely surrealist and that's not for everybody.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kawabata posted:

Does the show suddenly get better?

Not really.

the pilot is a pretty good indication of what it do. You're not gonna like the rest if you dont like it but i like it so you better like it or else.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Honestly, I can only think of one little detail from the first episode that hasn't been explained by the end of the season... if there are things that you don't get yet, it's because they haven't been revealed yet, not because it's incomprehensible and full of continuity issues.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Xand_Man posted:

It's definitely surrealist and that's not for everybody.

I don't mind surrealism, I love Lynch and I get what Hawley is trying to do.

I'll try and watch 2 more episodes but I guess my point is that it feels like a bit too much too early for a tv show, and the performances aren't clicking with me. Well except the girl that dies inside a wall, she's really really good. And the demon guy. Demon guy look solid.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'd recommend three more episodes if you're already willing to do two. The fourth episode is probably the next make or break point.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kawabata posted:

I didn't like the lead actor at all at first either but he grew on me, and into the role, as the show went on. The pilot's probably also the most confusing and jumbled episode, I wasn't sure if I'd want to watch a whole season's worth of it at first, but the show does settle into a groove so you can actually figure out what's going on. I'd say the only real continuity issues it had was a couple characters' powers seeming inconsistent, but that type of thing doesn't really bother me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the surrealism steps back a bit as the show goes on. Or rather you start to understand everything a little better each episode so it all starts to make a little more sense over time. I remember being pretty lost in Episode 1 and not sold right there. I waited a few episodes, binged with a lot of attention, and got hooked. So I think that's a viable suggestion.

But on the other hand if you're disliking the show as much as your tone sounds then you might as well walk away since its probably not going to change that much.

Like, the show is pretty much all about following David's confusion about what is real and what isn't so if your immediate reaction to the show is that you think David is a douche and there are "continuity issues" then this probably isn't your show.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Kawabata posted:

I don't mind surrealism, I love Lynch and I get what Hawley is trying to do.

I'll try and watch 2 more episodes but I guess my point is that it feels like a bit too much too early for a tv show, and the performances aren't clicking with me. Well except the girl that dies inside a wall, she's really really good. And the demon guy. Demon guy look solid.

The girl that dies in the wall is one of the best things about the show, she loving kills it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I didn't like this show either at first but it grew on me. I still don't think it's that great but it's not too bad. I've got it marked to watch the next season.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After it was said and done, the only gripe I had with Legion, really, was that it was a show I felt like was written and shot to be binged watched, but released on a commercial channel. Any single episode out of context makes no sense, but when you can watch 2-3 in a row, it works a lot better.

So in retrospect, I'm glad I had a busy few weeks and forgot to watch for a while. Binge watching Legion was much more satisfying on this one.

On another note, it was loving awesome to finally see the Shadow King as a villain. Although reading the comics for as many years as I have, I got annoyed with myself when I figured out who the weird figure was inside David's Haller's head halfway through the second episode. I also loved that they took a less popular villain and only a single other character from the comics and managed to make a pretty drat good show.

Given FOX's best efforts at X-Men stuff (Logan, Deadpool and Legion), they do a much, much better job at telling smaller stories with lower stakes. I wish they'd just stick to that. Especially after the dumpster fire piece of poo poo that was X-Men Apocalypse.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't know if it was because it was the second time or it was better watching with no commercials and several episodes in a row but I liked it a lot better when I rewatched it on Hulu. I liked it a lot the first time, it it didn't click as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't rewatched it. I probably will close to when S2 premieres, which is what I usually do to refresh myself on "newer" and "deeper" shows like this since a year from now I'll have a lot of holes in my memory about it.

But I imagine it works really well as a 2nd watch binge since you know a lot more so its a lot less mystery and eeriness and a lot more puzzle pieces you can put together. Seems like a good example of the sort of show/movie that gives you a totally different viewing experience the second time around.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im still confused about who torches the pool and pulls the electric buzzer out of dudes hand in ep 1, maybe the dude who torched the pool is the guy in the background when you first meet Melanie in the pinstripe suit coat?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 2, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unsurprisingly, no Emmy noms

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think it's right up there with all the best stuff I saw all year, but yeah not shocking or anything. It'd be like being sad your fav art-rock album didn't win a grammy.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I just binge watched this show and felt like the first few episodes were really killer and artistically directed, I was really digging it. As the season went on I felt like the show more or less devolved into standard superhero fare, it reminded me a lot of Heroes and not in a particularly good way. I hope that Season 2 manages to bring back the style and dial down the "capeshit" style cartoony stuff, which was ultimately kind of disappointing.

Also Syd started off as a fairly cool and interesting character and became steadily more annoying as the show went on

Jemaine Clement and Aubrey Plaza killed it in this show

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah Syd went from somewhat interesting to girlfriend status so I get what you're saying there. Other than that every other character in that show had a fuckin good story arc.

But that rear end though....

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah Syd went from somewhat interesting to girlfriend status so I get what you're saying there. Other than that every other character in that show had a fuckin good story arc.

But that rear end though....

At least her slide was believable if you realize she's never had a meaningful relationship with anyone because she can't touch them and David seems to be the guy who will put up with that poo poo. Also, Astral Sex Shack. She's straight up addicted to the magic dong by now, I'd reckon. You know oxcytocin, dopamine, endorphines, all that.

Or, it could just be lazy writing falling into tropes because they don't know what to do with her character.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Aleph Null posted:

At least her slide was believable if you realize she's never had a meaningful relationship with anyone because she can't touch them and David seems to be the guy who will put up with that poo poo. Also, Astral Sex Shack. She's straight up addicted to the magic dong by now, I'd reckon. You know oxcytocin, dopamine, endorphines, all that.

Or, it could just be lazy writing falling into tropes because they don't know what to do with her character.

Great point! I had forgotten about that all that no touching stuff. First love/sex and all. Of course she's gonna be smitten by him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Syd suddenly being a mutant of note and being allowed to take part in important away missions was incredibly unbelievable. She literally just joined their organisation, and she's effectively leading dangerous away missions (with her only backup being their chief psychologist and a sort of useful ninja who's also their chief scientist's Achilles's Heel), when the organisation has hundreds of more people including a superpowerful telekenetic and a pyrokinetic. Then she spent the rest of the season being basically passive.

Yeah, I'm siding with a lack of consistency on the character.

Field Mousepad posted:

Great point! I had forgotten about that all that no touching stuff. First love/sex and all. Of course she's gonna be smitten by him.

Nah, we heard about her first time, and it wasn't with David.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh yeah she fucks her mom's boyfriend right? I need to rewatch this show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh yeah she fucks her mom's boyfriend right? I need to rewatch this show.
She borrows her mother's body, and it accidentally switches back partway through. So it's complicated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

She borrows her mother's body, and it accidentally switches back partway through. So it's complicated.

I was confused by that story: do they switch bodies in the middle of it or switch minds back to the right body? I thought it was the latter but other responses suggest the former.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was confused by that story: do they switch bodies in the middle of it or switch minds back to the right body? I thought it was the latter but other responses suggest the former.
The bodies switch places, as shown in the episodes where that happens.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It took me roughly half the run of the show to realize that Syd was not some sort of agent for these people sent to get close to David. They treat her like she's part of their group.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The bodies switch places, as shown in the episodes where that happens.

It's this, but I think first the minds switch. So she touched her mom and swapped into her mom's body, then her own body swapped in while they were loving.

Then, presumably, she got swapped into his body...

Serf posted:

It took me roughly half the run of the show to realize that Syd was not some sort of agent for these people sent to get close to David. They treat her like she's part of their group.

Maybe they do that with everyone?

Or do we know how long it was between the hospital and rescuing David from the pool?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Serf posted:

The mutant group is full of people who don't know how to run a covert military operation. The one dude carries around a Tommy Gun for Christ's sake. And they let Kerry be their muscle when she is obviously a tiny, ineffective fighter who thinks she is better at it than she is.
Just saying, "Sure, Syd, come on in" is pretty believable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is the proud tradition of the X-Men to send barely trained teenagers to do paramilitary black ops with hardly any planning.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Aleph Null posted:

The mutant group is full of people who don't know how to run a covert military operation. The one dude carries around a Tommy Gun for Christ's sake. And they let Kerry be their muscle when she is obviously a tiny, ineffective fighter who thinks she is better at it than she is.
Just saying, "Sure, Syd, come on in" is pretty believable.

This is one of the reasons I think the entire show is basically "not real". The secret base in the woods is not an actual secret base in the woods. It is simply the concept of a "safe location". How often do the characters leave a city, and then are just walking back through the woods? One time literally with someone on a stretcher. There's a lot of things that don't slot in well if you think about it, which is strange for a show that is otherwise usually rather tightly constructed. Not to say there aren't some things that feel sloppy, it was fun but did not hold up quite as well toward the end of the season.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was half-expecting an "and it's all been happening in his head" reveal pretty much the whole season and will continue to for the entirety of this show's run. If anything I think they did less "is it real or in his head?" bits than I was expecting given the character.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

qirex posted:

I was half-expecting an "and it's all been happening in his head" reveal pretty much the whole season and will continue to for the entirety of this show's run. If anything I think they did less "is it real or in his head?" bits than I was expecting given the character.

As powerful as he is supposed to be, is there a functional difference between "real" and "in his head"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It doesn't bother me that the entire mutant resistance group seems amateur and thrown together because they clearly were amateurs thrown together. We can make the joke about Xavier sending teenagers out to fight wars all the time, but these guys didn't even have that focused an agenda as Xavier does. They're just a bunch of broken people who find themselves in a situation where they have to become a black ops group.

And I thought the moment Syd clicked for me was when David implied he was going to break up with her and she absolutely panicked and told him that they could touch and she'd learn to be ok with it. It was so desperate and heart wrenching and it became clear how Syd was really messed up by her powers. Then David opens that door to astral sex and intimacy and its so life changing for her that I totally bought into her just making it her everything.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Xavier trained the poo poo out of the X-Men and taught them how to use their powers before sending them out though.

David and his crew are like the rag tag play it fast and loose squad by comparison. It works for the show I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Xavier trained the poo poo out of the X-Men and taught them how to use their powers before sending them out though.

David and his crew are like the rag tag play it fast and loose squad by comparison. It works for the show I think.
Yeah, the fact that the group's amateur hour black ops are so completely insane plays nicely against their insistence that they're all just misunderstood.