Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Is it just me, or is using the phrase 'Identity Politics' a Right Wing stand in for Whataboutism?
It's a stand in for civil rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

Is it just me, or is using the phrase 'Identity Politics' a Right Wing stand in for Whataboutism?

To repeat this: the right wing wants Identity Politics. They just want White Identity Politics.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Gandhi liked violent resistance.

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor."

"I want both the Hindus and Mussalmans to cultivate the cool courage to die without killing. But if one has not that courage, I want him to cultivate the art of killing and being killed rather than, in a cowardly manner, flee from danger. For the latter, in spite of his flight, does commit mental himsa. He flees because he has not the courage to be killed in the act of killing.
My method of nonviolence can never lead toloss of strength, but it alone will make it possible, if the nation wills it, to offer disciplined and concerted violence in time of danger.
My creed of nonviolence is an extremely active force. It has no room for cowardice or even weakness. There is hope for a violent man to be some day non-violent, but there is none for a coward. I have, therefore, said more than once....that, if we do not know how to defend ourselves, our women and our places of worship by the force of suffering, i.e., nonviolence, we must, if we are men, be at least able to defend all these by fighting.
No matter how weak a person is in body, if it is a shame to flee, he will stand his ground and die at his post. This would be nonviolence and bravery. No matter how weak he is, he will use what strength he has in inflicting injury on his opponent, and die in the attempt. This is bravery, but not nonviolence. If, when his duty is to face danger, he flees, it is cowardice. In the first case, the man will have love or charity in him. In the second and third cases, there would be a dislike or distrust and fear.
My nonviolence does admit of people, who cannot or will not be nonviolent, holding and making effective use of arms. Let me repeat for the thousandth time that nonviolence is of the strongest, not of the weak.
To run away from danger, instead of facing it, is to deny one's faith in man and God, even one's own self. It were better for one to drown oneself than live to declare such bankruptcy of faith."

"I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cingulate posted:

On a scale of "Goebbels propaganda victory" to "the US military crushes all resistance", how did street fighting work last time?

pretty well actually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cable_Street

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

coyo7e posted:

How did this all happen while The Daily Show is on hiatus? :ohdear:

It's been a long (2 year) hiatus.

#comebackjohn

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

radmonger posted:

MLK, Mandela, and Ghandhi all offered their opponents a feasible thing that they could do which would avoid conflict.

The leaders of the IRA, Tamil Tigers and PLO did not. Most of heir heirs would now admit that was a strategic failure.

Chamberlain and Lincoln also offered their opponent a feasible thing they could do to avoid conflict, had their offer returned down, and had their side win anyway.

Non-aggression is a tactic, and a highly effective one. Evidence suggests it is worth trying first, and abandoning it if it doesn't work.

In the context of US Nazis, that looks like counter-demonstrating in greater numbers with enough self-defence to prevent smaller numbers wining via brutality.

The offer made should be along the lines 'impeach Trump if the FBI find he is guilty, let the mid-term elections happen on schedule otherwise'.

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection." - MLK

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if there's a practical/trustworthy way to set up a fund to pay legal fees and fines for anyone who's charged with vandalism for tearing down a Confederate statue. Not necessarily specific, after-the-fact GoFundMes, but a standing fund to be like, "Hey, if you tear down a Confederate statue, that's vandalism and you'll probably be charged, but we got your back, wink wink."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897799882802704385

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

To repeat this: the right wing wants Identity Politics. They just want White Identity Politics.
"Trump is white people identity politics" totally makes sense to me.

And what situation is more analogous to USA 2017 - Britain 1936, or Germany in 1930, 1932, 1933, 1936?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Harrow posted:

I wonder if there's a practical/trustworthy way to set up a fund to pay legal fees and fines for anyone who's charged with vandalism for tearing down a Confederate statue. Not necessarily specific, after-the-fact GoFundMes, but a standing fund to be like, "Hey, if you tear down a Confederate statue, that's vandalism and you'll probably be charged, but we got your back, wink wink."

What the hell, if it's an act of mass civil disobedience like that the entire mob ought to be chipping in. That's what safety in numbers is supposed to be about, right? You can feel safe doing this illegal or dangerous thing because we've all got your back.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People propagate the idea that MLK, Ghandi, or whoever were all fanatically obsessed with non-violence not because they want to raise up those guys but because it makes their oppressors look better. When the tale about the civil rights movement is "well MLK asked nicely and white America gave black people civil rights (also Malcolm X was a bad guy)" that's to say that white people are totally nice and didn't realize how rude they were being with the slavery and kkk and all and just needed to be told in a calm and sensible manner that the people they were oppressing had human rights which needed to be respected.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's the same button that orders him a diet coke

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Data Graham posted:

What the hell, if it's an act of mass civil disobedience like that the entire mob ought to be chipping in. That's what safety in numbers is supposed to be about, right? You can feel safe doing this illegal or dangerous thing because we've all got your back.

Ideally, yes, though I'm sure people will still be charged, and what I'd rather do is passively encourage people to continue tearing down statues because, if they're one of the unlucky ones, they won't have to go begging for money to pay lawyer fees and fines.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Not the best distraction I've seen but hey, the garbagefucks at FOX News will gobble it up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

withak posted:

So Fox did a segment on Amazon this morning?

WaPo has been skewering him and it's owned by Jeff Bezos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Radish posted:

People propagate the idea that MLK, Ghandi, or whoever were all fanatically obsessed with non-violence not because they want to raise up those guys but because it makes their oppressors look better. When the tale about the civil rights movement is "well MLK asked nicely and white America gave black people civil rights (also Malcolm X was a bad guy)" that's to say that white people are totally nice and didn't realize how rude they were being with the slavery and kkk and all and just needed to be told in a calm and sensible manner that the people they were oppressing had human rights which needed to be respected.

Well, you can, you should just be pointing a shitload of guns at them while you do it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection." - MLK
MLK-style Direct Action seems cool and good. Punching Nazis, not so much.
You act as if there just two options: taking it quietly, or their blood on the streets. MLK demonstrated there was a 3rd option: winning.

Radish posted:

You're making this up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Gandhi said a lot of things, and you are being very selective in your quoting.

ghandi posted:

I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor.

But I believe that nonviolence is infinitely superior to violence, forgiveness is more manly than punishment. Forgiveness adorns a soldier...But abstinence is forgiveness only when there is the power to punish; it is meaningless when it pretends to proceed from a helpless creature....

But I do not believe India to be helpless....I do not believe myself to be a helpless creature....Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Anyway, again I must emphasise. There's some element of truth in the idea that nonviolence gains its power from the threat of violence. But it also gains its legitimacy from it distancing itself from violent actors even if they have similar goals.

It makes no sense to demand everyone agree punching is good, no more than it does to demand MLK agree with Malcom X. Malcom X was certainly not stupid enough to waste his energies on MLK in that way.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It doesn't look like pepsi is actually even ON the council.
There are two councils, one business and one manufacturing. Pepsi is on the business council.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Most of Trump's press conference was just the usual rightwing taking points. I actually thought the craziest part was when he mentioned his winery. In what world does that go there?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

At what point did everyone get together and decide to act as though each CEO stepping down from a meaningless panel they do nothing on was a body blow to Trump?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tweeting this after siding with unabashed white supremacy is super harrowing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rotacixe posted:

Normally this level of discord with the CIC would be grounds for immediate dismissal. It is a strange place to be in. I hope he doesn't do permanent damage to the presidential institution and civilian control over the military before this is over.

The only time in my life I've prayed for a military coup

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Noxville posted:

At what point did everyone get together and decide to act as though each CEO stepping down from a meaningless panel they do nothing on was a body blow to Trump?

The moment Trump got pissed about it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Noxville posted:

Probably when the first guy did it and Trump started pantshitting over twitter about.

We're dealing with a manbaby president, so trivial poo poo like this actually does matter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Democrazy posted:

Most of Trump's press conference was just the usual rightwing taking points. I actually thought the craziest part was when he mentioned his winery. In what world does that go there?

Trump is like if a Right Wing email forward gain sentience and got elected President. The problem for the GOP is they typically leave that poo poo for their AM radio and TV personalities while letting the more overtly racist points percolate on social media. The fact that their idiot leader is too dumb to not use code words or wink instead of straight up calling nazis the good guys is what caught them flat footed. Reagan and Trump aren't that different except in ability to speak to the press (at least 1980 Reagan).

COOL CORN posted:

By 2020 the SPLC will have announced a Presidential campaign slogan is hate speech.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A bold new policy initiative. Let's give Trump a chance on this one

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Noxville posted:

Because he's the Dealmaker and the Business Expert.

He can't successfully lead a group of wealthy, willing CEOs and it makes him look weak and incompetent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

COOL CORN posted:

Only getting more appropriate by the day:

http://prettyfakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/Cap%20v%20Cap%203.JPG

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I was incredibly busy yesterday and only heard bits and pieces of the "Alt-Left" thing, despite the fact I work in a newsroom.

I'm sincerely not sure what the gently caress is going to happen with this guy. I feel like THIS matters, and it's leading to something even worse. A Chernobyl meltdown on camera or in front of reputable sources.

God help us.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How many loving hosts does Fox & Friends have? I swear I've seen like 6 different people this week.

There's always that old blond guy. But everyone else seems to change. It must confuse Donny so.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Piell posted:

sometimes I wonder if people can read

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Krispy Kareem posted:

How many loving hosts does Fox & Friends have? I swear I've seen like 6 different people this week.

There's always that old blond guy. But everyone else seems to change. It must confuse Donny so.

I think he may already be too senile to notice

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

radmonger posted:

MLK...Ghandhi all offered their opponents a feasible thing that they could do which would avoid conflict.

The primary reason that MLK and Ghandi used nonviolence was because it gained sympathy for their cause, not because they didn't expect conflict. MLK especially used it as method of getting international condemnation of Jim Crow.

quote:

Mandela

The ANC had a military wing. Mandela was in prison from 1962-1990 for being a member of MK.

quote:

The leaders of the IRA, Tamil Tigers and PLO did not. Most of heir heirs would now admit that was a strategic failure.

The IRA was the reason why the Irish Free State exists.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/MuseumMichael/status/897597323605417985

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I'm sure he's doing this every time he needs a pick-me-up when he's feeling down. He knows his base loves this chant and he's really just interested in seeing his Twitter numbers go up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
"member since 2017"

The ACLU has one job and they do it. It isn't the only important job.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"member since 2017"

The ACLU has one job and they do it. It isn't the only important job.

They don't defend the second amendment because of the excuse that the NRA does it for them.

But they can't stop defending white supremacists with the excuse that they control the executive branch of the US government?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The mythologising of the Battle of Cable Street is a joke. In so far as it had an effect, it would be leading the government to ban such marches and uniforms with the Public Order Act of 1936. The key ingredient is to have a government that is hostile to such breaches of order. After similar fights under a government sympathetic to the far right in Germany, you had no such success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Gandhi said a lot of things, and you are being very selective in your quoting.
Wow. I assume Piell didn't know any better, but that's some gross misrepresentation.

"Gandhi, MLK etc only pretended to win via nonviolent resistance, in reality they were all 'punch the nazi 24/7'" is a terrible meme.

• Locked thread