Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

the ADL cool for once?
*Neo-ishly 'woah'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://medium.com/@NC_Governor/north-carolina-monuments-b7ead3c471ee

quote:

I don’t pretend to know what it’s like for a person of color to pass by one of these monuments and consider that those memorialized in stone and metal did not value my freedom or humanity. Unlike an African-American father, I’ll never have to explain to my daughters why there exists an exalted monument for those who wished to keep her and her ancestors in chains.

Some people cling to the belief that the Civil War was fought over states’ rights. But history is not on their side. We cannot continue to glorify a war against the United States of America fought in the defense of slavery. These monuments should come down.

Our Civil War history is important, but it belongs in textbooks and museums — not a place of allegiance on our Capitol grounds. And our history must tell the full story, including the subjugation of humans created in God’s image to provide the back-breaking labor that drove the South’s agrarian economy.

I understand the frustration of those fed up with the pace of change. But after protesters toppled a statue in Durham Monday night, I said there was a better way to remove these monuments.

My first responsibility as governor is to protect North Carolinians and keep them safe. The likelihood of protesters being injured or worse as they may try to topple any one of the hundreds of monuments in our state concerns me. And the potential for those same white supremacist elements we saw in Charlottesville to swarm the site, weapons in hand, in retaliation is a threat to public safety.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
https://twitter.com/showsb4hoes/status/897705656052056064

Inject this pure ideology straight in my veins.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Agean90 posted:

40% of the aflcio vote Republican, it was likely done to mollify them.

This that's an indictment of the Democrats as much as anything else. They abandoned labor long ago.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That's a solid statement that doesn't pull any punches. I rate it 420/69.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Darkman Fanpage posted:

never in my dreams did i think both the nazis and the centrists would be turned into corncobs before my eyes in the same week
in the days before america's entry into ww2 the "centrists" threw their lot in with the nazis

then pearl harbor happened :getin:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It amuses me that the centrist inventions 'alt-left' and 'fake news' are being used to better effect by the right.

It kind of summarizes neoliberalism in one nice example.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Acelerion posted:

It amuses me that the centrist inventions 'alt-left' and 'fake news' are being used to better effect by the right.

It kind of summarizes neoliberalism in one nice example.

Centrist democrats are like the Wright brothers and Eli Whitneys of political phrases, doomed to inventing poo poo that will make other people rich at their expense.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The funniest thing about the whole altleftgate fiasco is definitely the centrists who used it as a slur for a year now trying to claim that they are the alt left, always have been, and stand in firm opposition to those milquetoast centrists trying to use universal health care and higher minimum wages to distract from the real important issues like instantly ending all racism forever with one bill or outlawing Russia

They're trying to pull a duck season / rabbit season on us lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the colors for the text in concerned citizens title were taken from the flag of china

if the web site was trustworthy theyre the exact hexes for it

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
why are people more mad at statues than the are about people that routinely deny black folks healthcare

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

call to action posted:

why are people more mad at statues than the are about people that routinely deny black folks healthcare

because it's easier to try and remove a physical object than it is to convince those infected with brainworms that uhc can be done.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

That's a solid statement that doesn't pull any punches. I rate it 420/69.

dude couldn't come through on repealing the bathroom bill, so i'll believe he intends to actually do anything about it when he actually does it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

The funniest thing about the whole altleftgate fiasco is definitely the centrists who used it as a slur for a year now trying to claim that they are the alt left, always have been, and stand in firm opposition to those milquetoast centrists trying to use universal health care and higher minimum wages to distract from the real important issues like instantly ending all racism forever with one bill or outlawing Russia

They're trying to pull a duck season / rabbit season on us lol
this is more like the time daffy duck ends the rabbit/duck season exchange with "fire!" with the gun pointed to themselves

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

call to action posted:

call to inaction

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

call to action posted:

if we gave everyone healthcare, would that end racism?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

say what you will but thyssenkrupp elevators are significantly smoother than otis

elevators sucks, so i guess this the reight thread for that

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

call to action posted:

because breaking the property of the rich is worse than breaking the lives of the poor

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Teddy Roosevelt, a terrible foreign policy nightmare and domestic ok person was elected in 1900.

LBJ, a terrible foreign policy nightmare and domestic ok person was elected in 1960.

Tulsi 2020.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

as someone who less than a year ago was like "we shouldnt be mean to liberals, they're our closest mainstream allies" im kind of amazed at how dumb i was

lol good one lexy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

as someone who less than a year ago was like "we shouldnt be mean to liberals, they're our closest mainstream allies" im kind of amazed at how dumb i was

haha yeah

except like a week ago before this poo poo hit the fan

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

call to action posted:

When you suck too much for the Suck Zone.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

serious, disciplined leftists should probably stop tut tutting about emerging popular fronts and instead try to figure out how to organize and direct them

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

serious, disciplined leftists should probably stop tut tutting about emerging popular fronts and instead try to figure out how to organize and direct them
is "lmao you should have done this months ago" tut tutting

it's more like kot kotting

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

holy poo poo i voted for an antifascist wth :allears:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Al! posted:

direct them against the nazis, how is this even a question

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

was he always this awesome or do you think the bullshit the NC legislature pulled after he won make him go into no fucks mode

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I genuinely think antifa should start toppling Washington and Jefferson statues, dudes were loving slaveowners and honestly it would probably be even more inflammatory and awesome

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
focusing on Confederate monuments gives the north a pass it absolutely doesn't deserve. vandalize the liberty Bell today.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

washington was no angel

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

dude couldn't come through on repealing the bathroom bill, so i'll believe he intends to actually do anything about it when he actually does it.

Oh, for sure. Words are meaningless without action. But actually saying the words is a huge positive step.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

call to action posted:

I genuinely think antifa should start toppling Washington and Jefferson statues, dudes were loving slaveowners and honestly it would probably be even more inflammatory and awesome

While I agree they suck, that's the easiest way to turn popular opinion towards the racists again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah you gotta level up by farming confederate statues before you go after the big boys

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WoW raid attunements were just practice for statue toppling progression.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

While I agree they suck, that's the easiest way to turn popular opinion towards the racists again.

oh ok so we're only going after the racist heroes of people we don't like, not the ones we do. got it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

call to action posted:

oh ok so we're only going after the racist heroes of people we don't like, not the ones we do. got it.

:getout:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah you gotta level up by farming confederate statues before you go after the big boys

once you take them down you finally get the statue building skill that allows you to put lenin everywhere

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

no thanks, i'd rather talk about how awesome it is we're tearing down all these racist monuments. we also need to tear down andrew jackson (trail of tears) and thomas jefferson (slave rapist extraordinaire) statues, and why the gently caress wouldn't you

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Much like Iraq, toppling the statue of tyrants at least feels good, until the inevitable hellscape of forever war sets in and becomes the new normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

call to action posted:

no thanks, i'd rather talk about how awesome it is we're tearing down all these racist monuments. we also need to tear down andrew jackson (trail of tears) and thomas jefferson (slave rapist extraordinaire) statues, and why the gently caress wouldn't you

the worlds least effective alt right infiltrator ladies and gentleman

• Locked thread