Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

like a half dozen now that they made the yt messaging app

there's hangouts still, which is not getting any features or staffing and interops with old chat which is way dead

there's allo the whatsapp clone that is on desktop too now

there's g+ messenger still I think?

there's the straight up android sms client

there's the new enterprise slack clone coming in gsuite that i can't remember the external name of

apparently youtube has something lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

there's hangouts still, which is not getting any features or staffing and interops with old chat which is way dead

there's the new enterprise slack clone coming in gsuite that i can't remember the external name of

hangouts last update actually forced me to move all my sms out of it and shut off its sms feature for good so all the ppl i hangouts with just mutually decided sms and group mms is fine cuz gently caress switching to another chat service that will be dead in a year.

also allo app is like actively hostile to human interaction.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cis autodrag posted:

in this analogy sealion should be mentally swapped with "mra" or "nazi" or "incel" or whatever. the type of person who tries to turn "racism is bad" into some kind of debate on what racial attributes acceptable for discrimination and whatnot. like most jokes, its obviously not funny if you dont have the context.

But the man and woman are both well-dressed and white and driving a very old car (which either means they are collectors of antiques or that the cartoon is set at a time making the car contemporary but an extreme luxury) indicating a higher-than-average SES.

I see a rich white woman talking poo poo about her supposed inferiors and getting stung for it and a rich white man not wanting to rock the boat and getting stung by his wife's bigotry (and his milquetoast refusal to stand up to the bigotry).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 16, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

they knew exactly what they had, which was "something they couldn't use to sell ads"

EOL
also it was xmpp, xmpp is poo poo, and it wasn't a standard that they had complete ownership of

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
xep 0166 now that brings me back. the real issue is hangouts text was brought on to the same tech stack as the g+ news feed when all they needed was the group video chat, and rather than fix it they decided to start over with allo except network effects in an im solution are incredibly massive and they just gave all that up to do so.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Schadenboner posted:

But the man and woman are both well-dressed and white and driving a very old car (which either means they are collectors of antiques or that the cartoon is set at a time making the car contemporary but an extreme luxury) indicating a higher-than-average SES.

I see a rich white woman talking poo poo about her supposed inferiors and getting stung for it and a rich white man not wanting to rock the boat and getting stung by his wife's bigotry (and his milquetoast refusal to stand up to the bigotry).

stop posting. if you're doing a bit, it's not funny.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

g+ messenger is gone it disappeared when they were putting google voice (which should prob. be on the list) and sms into hangouts

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheany posted:

im not sure i like what it says about me that i unironically took it in exactly the way he described

i dont use any kind of social media so maybe thats why

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Wheany posted:

he is right tho.

that cartoon is lovely, and if it had good intentions it communicated them poorly

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
e: w000t double posst

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

im not sure i like what it says about me that i unironically took it in exactly the way he described

i dont use any kind of social media so maybe thats why

Same. It's me, I was the bad person all along.

Also I'm a brown non-american maybe that might explain it too?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Also, lol at the idea that people who complain about 'sea lions' are having political arguments forced on them. Most people who complain about 'sea lions' are pretty political people and love talking and complaining about politics. It takes two to tango.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

also it was xmpp, xmpp is poo poo, and it wasn't a standard that they had complete ownership of

and you could use third party clients which is likely the reason facebook made a bespoke solution too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

for a hot minute in 2006 everything piped through ichat and if it handled sms then itd have been a comms powerhouse

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

you would think that Google ADHD would kick in and they would abandon Android, but you need to realize that Android enables them to start and abandon new apps and services easier so it is going to stick around.
they're working on it, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

for a hot minute in 2006 everything piped through ichat and if it handled sms then itd have been a comms powerhouse

i remember i started using ichat in earnest and then a year later they changed it :(

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

msn messenger just worked until they started loving with it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hah of course they are.

I do wonder if it is just them hedging their bets for the eventual antitrust action against the anti-forking provisions in their device manufacturer agreement. as soon as Samsung can make an AOSP based phone without having to drop their official Google Android product line, Google loses control of the platform and will have to switch to licensing the entire OS (instead of just their apps) to regain it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

hah of course they are.

I do wonder if it is just them hedging their bets for the eventual antitrust action against the anti-forking provisions in their device manufacturer agreement. as soon as Samsung can make an AOSP based phone without having to drop their official Google Android product line, Google loses control of the platform and will have to switch to licensing the entire OS (instead of just their apps) to regain it.

so tizen?

and goog is going to dump android the way it does every other thing that people like in favor of fuschia?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tizen isn't compatible with android apps (without using a dodgy application compatibility layer) and developing for it directly requires using Enlightenment Foundation Libraries.

google's is scared of a samsung made Facebook phone running Facebook's own App Store, where thanks to it being AOSP developers can just drop their Google Play apps without much tweaking beyond changing "Google Wallet" to "Facebook Payments".

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fuchsia is going to be a unified IoT / smart glass environment from the way they’re fluffing it up (RTOS! embedded)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

fuchsia is going to be a unified IoT / smart glass environment from the way they’re fluffing it up (RTOS! embedded)

so is Linux?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google pays apple $3 billion per year to be the default search engine on the iPhone. they pay Samsung nothing because it's an android requirement. they can't turn their back on Samsung

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's wankery by people who figured out how to get paid for just screwing around

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Management posted:

it's wankery by people who figured out how to get paid for just screwing around

that'll be "what is computer programming", alex

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

google pays apple $3 billion per year to be the default search engine on the iPhone. they pay Samsung nothing because it's an android requirement. they can't turn their back on Samsung

i thought ms held that privilege now or is that just to be a horse in the race

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

searching for something for work and google is using "transparent" as a synonym for "opaque".

gj there guys.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I though hangouts was one of the supported ones.

what chat app are google ecosystem users expected to use?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shifty Pony posted:

Tizen isn't compatible with android apps (without using a dodgy application compatibility layer) and developing for it directly requires using Enlightenment Foundation Libraries.

google's is scared of a samsung made Facebook phone running Facebook's own App Store, where thanks to it being AOSP developers can just drop their Google Play apps without much tweaking beyond changing "Google Wallet" to "Facebook Payments".

amazon fire phone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

I though hangouts was one of the supported ones.

what chat app are google ecosystem users expected to use?

if it was any other demographic they could talk to people irl but "google ecosystem users" generally don't have that option

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember when Facebook made a phone

then it failed and they made another phone

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wild EEPROM posted:

remember when Facebook made a phone

then it failed and they made another phone
that thing was pure uncut lomarf

some htc qwerty pos with a facebook button added to the lower bezel

i think it may have been outsold by the amazon fire phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wasn't that an og android reference design?

e: nm, this was the "totally not a blackberry" prototype

w/bonus symbian s60 knockoff ui

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

wasn't that an og android reference design?

e: nm, this was the "totally not a blackberry" prototype

w/bonus symbian s60 knockoff ui

this was the best anroid phone ever made (still totally garbage of course) and its been all downhill since

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google is one of the few companies that would have been willing to dump the blackberry clone that late in the game, anyone else would have launched it then abandoned it quickly

it's like the one time their goldfish memory product strategy actually helped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

amazon fire phone

this existed (technically), and fire tablets continue to exist, because amazon uses an oem that doesn't otherwise make android devices.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

google is one of the few companies that would have been willing to dump the blackberry clone that late in the game, anyone else would have launched it then abandoned it quickly

well except they just bolted a touch ui on top of that poo poo instead

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

did google own android at that point?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes

also lmao

quote:

An early prototype had a close resemblance to a BlackBerry phone, with no touchscreen and a physical QWERTY keyboard, but the arrival of 2007's Apple iPhone meant that Android "had to go back to the drawing board".Google later changed its Android specification documents to state that "Touchscreens will be supported", although "the Product was designed with the presence of discrete physical buttons as an assumption, therefore a touchscreen cannot completely replace physical buttons".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

it did work, though

supposedly the blackberry execs' response to the iphone was "that's literally impossible, they must be lying" and by the time they got their hands on one and saw it was all real, they were already hopelessly behind.

notably i remember RIM believed there was no way in hell that apple could get the battery life they were claiming, and then it turned out that the iphone was just a giant battery inside and the real innovation was cramming all the logic into a tiny board along the top. whoops

• Locked thread