Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

James Baud posted:

I've never understood the love affair that Canadian broker reviewers have always had with Qtrade. There's only one thing Qtrade does better than other brokerages as best I can tell (and I have looked around and made trades in someone else's account) and that's support for holding the more esoteric RESP grants in unrestricted accounts.

Free ETF purchases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Qtrade's free ETF selection is very limited. You may be thinking of Questrade.

How there isn't some sort of trade mark dispute over their names baffles me.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Yeah Questrade is great for ETFs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I use questrade for my money adventures. It's cheaper sure, but there have been days with downtime. Depending on your trading style you might want to stick to a full service broker. I mean if you have 20k in weekly options you need to sell and the service goes down, lol.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I use questrade for my money adventures. It's cheaper sure, but there have been days with downtime. Depending on your trading style you might want to stick to a full service broker. I mean if you have 20k in weekly options you need to sell and the service goes down, lol.

I use InvestorLine because I trade pretty infrequently and $10 a throw is worth it for the knowledge that the thing will actually exist in 5 years time, and so I'll be spared the headache of paperwork etc when an inevitable acquisition or bankruptcy occurs.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lexicon posted:

I use InvestorLine because I trade pretty infrequently and $10 a throw is worth it for the knowledge that the thing will actually exist in 5 years time, and so I’ll be spared the headache of paperwork etc when an inevitable acquisition or bankruptcy occurs.

Be sure to post when it’s the fifth anniversary of your making this choice :v:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

pokeyman posted:

Ok, for sufficiently large N ;)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Risky Bisquick posted:

Huh, news to me. I hadn't heard they had that much downtime in the past. I use them for two of my retirement accounts and I rebalance twice a year so not something I really worry about though.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

pokeyman posted:

I've been with TD Waterhouse since 2008.

There were fewer options back then and I'm lazy.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

toe knee hand posted:

I've been with TD Waterhouse since 2008.

There were fewer options back then and I'm lazy.

i signed up for qtrade because i thought it was the same thing as questrade and now i'm too lazy to change. it's fine. i only deposit every three months anyways and the free etf selection has vanguard total market funds so whatever

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Ok, for sufficiently large N ;)

I don’t really expect to be at the same brokerage for an entire 40+ years of saving and investing, but I do see the logic of avoiding "the old brokerage won't exist next week" as a reason for switching. Out of curiosity, what would make you switch?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Wealthsimple has managed to lose $2000 worth of securities while transferring my TFSA. As in, don't know where they are. :stare:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Wealthsimple has managed to lose $2000 worth of securities while transferring my TFSA. As in, don't know where they are. :stare:

How long has it been since you wired the money?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

If you were in any mutual funds purchased with the "help" of an advisor, the first thing I'd be checking is whether the former place charged you early redemption fees or deferred sales charges before giving you cash.

Otherwise sometimes some stuff does arrive a bit later and the destination often needs to perform a second sweep to pick up loose dividends etc.

If statements from old place show everything leaving, though, you do have a fun mystery on your hands.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They didn't liquidate any of the holdings, just transferred the portfolio over to their system, which is why this is an amazing gently caress up.

It's been like two months since the transfer initiated so I reached out to them before I left on vacation and came back to an email basically going "Uhhhh. poo poo. We'll, uh, look into this. In the meantime can you send us your last TD statement to help us figure out what is missing?"

I think I'll be transferring my portfolio back to Waterhouse.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 9, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

They didn't liquidate any of the holdings, just transferred the portfolio over to their system, which is why this is an amazing gently caress up.

It's been like two months since the transfer initiated so I reached out to them before I left on vacation and came back to an email basically going "Uhhhh. poo poo. We'll, uh, look into this. In the meantime can you send us your last TD statement to help us figure out what is missing?"

I think I'll be transferring my portfolio back to Waterhouse.

A story like this on reddit could absolutely loving ruin a ~fintech~ startup like wealthsimple if it gets enough exposure, like on r/vancouver.

But check this thread out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/5zlxrl/pretty_bad_wealthsimple_experience_alternatives/

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Probably a silly question but for cashback credit cards does the cashback ding right away with any transactions? Or do you have to actually maintain that purchase balance past the grace period before the cashback kicks in so they manage to ding you for interest before counting towards the cashback?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Probably a silly question but for cashback credit cards does the cashback ding right away with any transactions? Or do you have to actually maintain that purchase balance past the grace period before the cashback kicks in so they manage to ding you for interest before counting towards the cashback?

I've never paid any interest and i get a cheque for a few hundred bucks at the end of the year on my costco card

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wirth1000 posted:

Transaction just has to post, although any refunds will subtract equivalent cash back from your reward balance - the cards don't redeem instantly, more like one of: annually / when you pass some $$ threshold / on demand

Mantle
May 15, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

i signed up for qtrade because i thought it was the same thing as questrade and now i'm too lazy to change. it's fine. i only deposit every three months anyways and the free etf selection has vanguard total market funds so whatever

If you trade every three months you need to be wary of their account inactivity fee. Also it's too late now but your transfer out fee will be about $150 per account.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

As another data point, the Tangerine card pays monthly. But yeah as has been said, there’s no need to carry a balance in order to get the cash back.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've never had a cash back credit card its always been rewards stuff like SCENE points. My Petro-Points CIBC MasterCard turned into a cash back VISA Dividend card so curious how it all works. Thanks for the responses.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My HSBC mastercard gives me a flat 2% cashback on I think every purchase I make with it. It's annually debited onto the balance. Feels good every time until I do the math and figure out how much I spent the last year. I'm not sure if that's still available.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VelociBacon posted:

My HSBC mastercard gives me a flat 2% cashback on I think every purchase I make with it. It's annually debited onto the balance. Feels good every time until I do the math and figure out how much I spent the last year. I'm not sure if that's still available.

The MBNA rewards card is also flat 2% back, redeemable in demand once you have >$50 in rewards. It's $89 a year, but first year waived and you get a $100 welcome bonus so it's like the card is free for the first two years.

Haven't had any problems with them other than disputing transactions being a pain as you need the paper statement to mark up and send back with proof of why it's an incorrect charge. Other cards I've had were so much simpler with just calling in whenever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Same with my Amazon.ca Visa. Once you hit 2,000 points (1 point per dollar spent), it automatically redeems for $20 at the end of every statement.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

President's Choice is getting out of the banking business, selling its PC Financial unit to CIBC, which will rebrand the bank as Simplii.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cibc-1.4249139

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Really hope they don't change anything. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of moving banks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

They absolutely will change things. With any luck they'll be slow about it, but now you gotta be even more vigilant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The only reason they bought PCF is for the customers, so I don't expect them to gently caress with it too badly in the near term. I wonder why Loblaws sold.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pokeyman posted:

They absolutely will change things. With any luck they'll be slow about it, but now you gotta be even more vigilant.

The worst change for me is losing the PC kiosks in Loblaws. I could already use CIBC machines, so now the number of free ATMs just gets cut in half. Sucks from a convenience perspective.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm with HSBC so I never had decent ATM locations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is Canadian financially related though not strictly investing:

My girlfriend is a Canadian permanent resident but never bothered to get a health card (forgetfulness or ignorance or procrastination). She recently had to stay in the hospital in Quebec. Can she apply for a health card when she gets out and be refunded? Or is she going to have to pay as if she was a foreigner?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

A colleague made a good point re: rip PC Financial: look for some bonus cash to open a new account in the near future so they can juke the stats.

Subjunctive posted:

The only reason they bought PCF is for the customers, so I don't expect them to gently caress with it too badly in the near term. I wonder why Loblaws sold.

Not even Canadians were interested in their grocery checkout clerk selling them a mortgage?

Jordan7hm posted:

The worst change for me is losing the PC kiosks in Loblaws. I could already use CIBC machines, so now the number of free ATMs just gets cut in half. Sucks from a convenience perspective.

That blows. Tangerine went the opposite way after getting bought, expanding from weirdo ATMs at credit unions to anything Scotiabank.

In general the lesson is to have no loyalty whatsoever to banks. Always be ready to switch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ccs posted:

This is Canadian financially related though not strictly investing:

My girlfriend is a Canadian permanent resident but never bothered to get a health card (forgetfulness or ignorance or procrastination). She recently had to stay in the hospital in Quebec. Can she apply for a health card when she gets out and be refunded? Or is she going to have to pay as if she was a foreigner?

It might be on her driver's license. At least here in BC you don't need to actually present a card or even the number, it's just something they look up (I work in healthcare). Does she have a PHN and not a card or does she not even have a PHN?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

It might be on her driver's license. At least here in BC you don't need to actually present a card or even the number, it's just something they look up (I work in healthcare). Does she have a PHN and not a card or does she not even have a PHN?

No she doesn't drive, she just has a permanent resident card and a SIN number.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

pokeyman posted:

That blows. Tangerine went the opposite way after getting bought, expanding from weirdo ATMs at credit unions to anything Scotiabank.

In general the lesson is to have no loyalty whatsoever to banks. Always be ready to switch.

Speaking of tangerine and no loyalty, can anyone recommend a good cash back card?

Or a good guide for Canadians churning airline reward cards?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Speaking of tangerine and no loyalty, can anyone recommend a good cash back card?

Or a good guide for Canadians churning airline reward cards?

HSBC MasterCard gives me 2% cash back on (I think) any purchase.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Jordan7hm posted:

Are they for sure getting rid of them? I could see a rationalisation made to keep them from Loblaws' perspective in that maybe it brings in some extra business. Also maybe give PC Financial users a place to change their chip PIN or whatever.

Or they could rip them out and put up some more shoddy RCA TV marketing displays. Hard to say.

edit: Ok they are indeed removing them. That's a shame.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 17, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Were the PCF ATMs really half of the available ones? That is surprising to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Were the PCF ATMs really half of the available ones? That is surprising to me!

On the flip side, I've never used a PCF ATM since my card was first issued. CIBC machines have always been closer when I need cash.