Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

lifts cats over head posted:

Some gasket tape and a door upgrade did wonders for my WSM's consistency. This stuff was easy to apply around the rim and the edge of the door.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JO00S04/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mfMKzbASRWSMN

Did you do just the door or the lid as well? I've heard of people doing that but I don't want it to turn into a pain in the rear end to get on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Did you do just the door or the lid as well? I've heard of people doing that but I don't want it to turn into a pain in the rear end to get on and off.

Only one side is sticky, it's just a piece of insulation you stick to one side to seal the gaps.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Dick Nipples posted:

As already said it's basically tape you put down that adds a cushion, blocking any heat and/or smoke. I put a strip around the top of the barrel where the lid sits and around the perimeter of the door where I noticed some smoke sneaking out. I also used this door upgrade:

https://www.cajunbandit.com/Stainless-Steel-Smoker-Door-With-Round-Hole-18-5-p/18door09.htm

And this compression lock:

https://www.cajunbandit.com/product-p/ltlo.htm

You'll have to drill the hole in the door to fit the new lock but totally worth it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

As already said it's basically tape you put down that adds a cushion, blocking any heat and/or smoke. I put a strip around the top of the barrel where the lid sits and around the perimeter of the door where I noticed some smoke sneaking out. I also used this door upgrade:

https://www.cajunbandit.com/Stainless-Steel-Smoker-Door-With-Round-Hole-18-5-p/18door09.htm

And this compression lock:

https://www.cajunbandit.com/product-p/ltlo.htm

You'll have to drill the hole in the door to fit the new lock but totally worth it.

Nice - I have that door but haven't installed it yet. Mainly, I have the old style of the cajunbandit.com door that is meant to work with the old knob. I've been busy cooking and the weather's nice so this is less of an issue. I'll break down and install it this fall though as it cools off and rain starts to become an issue.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

In other news, I have big plans this weekend.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Well done sir.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

That's a lot of meat. It's got a good girth.

Are you sure you can handle that much meat in your mouth?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not much lately, did 2 pork shoulders...they were around 8-9lbs or so. Went low and slow at 225 and the drat things took about 15 hours. But they were tasty. Vacuumed pack up the second one in portions for a family member.

As far as Costco and blade tenderizing...hell you can die crossing the street. Nice thing is sous vide eliminates it all. Which I need to do a sous vide steak cook tomorrow.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

That's a lot of meat. It's got a good girth.

Are you sure you can handle that much meat in your mouth?

My body is ready.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Been making ribs on my little red smoker, and goddamn that smoker is nice now that i am learning hwo to properly use it. I've finally used the trick of lighting half a chimney of coals to put into the fire pan, and putting the other half of coals behind the lit ones so it slowly lights over time.

I still have issues with coals smothering in their own ash, need to figure out a way to handle that problem.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Seems like we have a fair amount of PNW BBQers. I live about 45 minutes north of Seattle myself.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
My crew is gearing up for our first whole hog roast this weekend in preparation for the eclipse on Monday. 75lb pig was put on order and we rented a spit of some kind. Going to be making up a gallon of brine to inject here tomorrow or so and we will start cooking either late Saturday night or very early Sunday morning. Plenty of reading to do in between now and the roast so we don't gently caress it all up.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qutius posted:

My crew is gearing up for our first whole hog roast this weekend in preparation for the eclipse on Monday. 75lb pig was put on order and we rented a spit of some kind. Going to be making up a gallon of brine to inject here tomorrow or so and we will start cooking either late Saturday night or very early Sunday morning. Plenty of reading to do in between now and the roast so we don't gently caress it all up.

Sounds tasty.

Next time you do it, try it Cuban style. Build a cinder block pit (fill gaps to create better insulation) and cover that hog in coals. Or you can by a China Box.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Going for my 2nd attempt at smoked baby back ribs tomorrow. 1st attempt was frustrating and not great, but still edible. I'm going to try to fixate less on temperature fluctuations, just going to keep it on 225 and hopefully let it do it's thing.

I have made some smoked brats/metts that turned out pretty good. Also made some kick rear end beef jerky with my smoker. Tried whole chickens once and... will definitely not be doing it again with skin on.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Going for my 2nd attempt at smoked baby back ribs tomorrow. 1st attempt was frustrating and not great, but still edible. I'm going to try to fixate less on temperature fluctuations, just going to keep it on 225 and hopefully let it do it's thing.

I have made some smoked brats/metts that turned out pretty good. Also made some kick rear end beef jerky with my smoker. Tried whole chickens once and... will definitely not be doing it again with skin on.

In my experience, the thinner the cut (e.g. Pork belly, ribs) the more important the consistent temp is.

What sort of fluctuations were you getting? Are we talking 200-250 or like 220-230? The 220-230 is normal and no big deal but if you're seeing fluctuations in a 50 degree range, that will be hard to get a consistent cook out of with ribs.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

You can make the skin crispy, it isn't difficult.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

For those of you who use the oven-to-grill method for ribs, can you tell me your recipe and cook times? I'm renting out a lakehouse this weekend and while there is a charcoal grill available, I'm scared it will be in bad shape or I won't be able to control the temp like at home. I'd like to do most of the cooking in the oven for consistency and then move to the grill to caramelize the sauce.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

RisqueBarber posted:

For those of you who use the oven-to-grill method for ribs, can you tell me your recipe and cook times? I'm renting out a lakehouse this weekend and while there is a charcoal grill available, I'm scared it will be in bad shape or I won't be able to control the temp like at home. I'd like to do most of the cooking in the oven for consistency and then move to the grill to caramelize the sauce.

The couple of times I did it in the past I used 225 for around 2.5-3 hours. Ovens are better at temp regulation (usually) than smokers so much longer can dry them out.

That said, it's been 6 or 7 years since I did it. Also note that cook times differ if you're using a convection oven.

EDIT: for ribs at least I consider 225 the magic number. I basically always shoot for that

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

katkillad2 posted:

Tried whole chickens once and... will definitely not be doing it again with skin on.

If you haven't definitely spatchcock the bird. Far more uniform and even cook temps and in my experience the skin has turned out great (I don't really eat the skin). Rub that bird with olive oil, coat with your favorite rub and let that thing cook.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

In my experience, the thinner the cut (e.g. Pork belly, ribs) the more important the consistent temp is.

What sort of fluctuations were you getting? Are we talking 200-250 or like 220-230? The 220-230 is normal and no big deal but if you're seeing fluctuations in a 50 degree range, that will be hard to get a consistent cook out of with ribs.

190-260 and I took a pic to make sure I'm not crazy.

That's 249 on the smoker, it stabalized at that temp when I set it to 225. If I drop it down to like 215 then it spirals down to the 200's. The 10-15 degree difference in my thermpro's seems pretty consistent.

I mean, at what point do I have a defective unit? I'm 3 days past my Amazon return date :smith:.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

190-260 and I took a pic to make sure I'm not crazy.

That's 249 on the smoker, it stabalized at that temp when I set it to 225. If I drop it down to like 215 then it spirals down to the 200's. The 10-15 degree difference in my thermpro's seems pretty consistent.

I mean, at what point do I have a defective unit? I'm 3 days past my Amazon return date :smith:.

How many cooks have you done in the smoker? Sometimes if you don't have enough char built up it'll fluctuate more.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

How many cooks have you done in the smoker? Sometimes if you don't have enough char built up it'll fluctuate more.

Just 3-4 times, it's fairly new.

Despite my issues, this time the ribs turned out 10x better while erring on the lower side with temperature since my previous attempt they were overcooked.

I couldn't get pellets to stay lit last time, so this time I used chips and got some smoke into them. Used Bad Byron's Butt Rub someone suggested in the thread and it was way better than whatever I used last time. They basically had no bark though and I guess a half hour with the sauce on wasn't long enough to get it to caramelize, but too loving impatient by that time. (I'm assuming both of those issues are temperature related.)

Still the best ribs I've ever had.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
What works surprisingly well in my experience is to rub up the ribs, coil them up inside a crock pot, put in some of whatever bbq sauce you plan on finishing them with, and let them go 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. THEN move them to a super hot grill to caramelize and such. It was my goto before I got the smoker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried one of those wooden grill scrapers? Are they any good? Do I want a big one or shorter one?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Has anyone tried one of those wooden grill scrapers? Are they any good? Do I want a big one or shorter one?

They're alright but the nylon ones are better. Make sure you only use the nylon ones when the grill is cool

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Dick Nipples posted:

They're alright but the nylon ones are better. Make sure you only use the nylon ones when the grill is cool

"Nylon ones"? Would love a link!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Tivac posted:

"Nylon ones"? Would love a link!

Char-Broil Cool Clean Nylon Bristle Grill Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ3C28I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.gPLzb0KJ583B

That's the one I use.

BBQ grill grate cleaner Grill brush Scrapers Grid Scrub PACK of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018823HZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GhPLzb3AP3DR2

I use these too on a really dirty surface.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Some gasket tape and a door upgrade did wonders for my WSM's consistency. This stuff was easy to apply around the rim and the edge of the door.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JO00S04/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mfMKzbASRWSMN

I bought this overpriced stuff for my smoker and have a fair amount (probably half of it) left over. I'd send it to an interested goon for shipping costs. PM me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thanks to you loving goons, I have a DigiQ on the way for my WSM.

:arghfist:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I had a first this morning. The brisket I was expecting to be done in six hours is ready to roll. Hopefully the cooler and towel keep it hot until guests arrive in 7 hours.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Towel+cooler is very effective in holding temp in my experience. 7 hours is a lot, but you should be ok, I think.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

I had a first this morning. The brisket I was expecting to be done in six hours is ready to roll. Hopefully the cooler and towel keep it hot until guests arrive in 7 hours.

Make sure to stick a probe in there, that's an awful long time to hold it in a cooler.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Update: it was approaching 140° so it's now sitting in a 250° oven until closer to dinner. It's weird, everytime I've done brisket I start a little earlier because it almost always inevitably takes longer than I plan.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My pork shoulder always take like 14-15 hours. I have just accepted this.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Update: it was approaching 140° so it's now sitting in a 250° oven until closer to dinner. It's weird, everytime I've done brisket I start a little earlier because it almost always inevitably takes longer than I plan.

next time, try pre-heating the cooler with hot water for 30 minutes or so. that'll allow you to hold whatever it is at temp for quite a while longer in my experience.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Today I was in the mood for some spare ribs so I went over to Costco as usual. They had a running sale for pre-seasoned ribs, so having lost to curiosity I decided to give them a try.

Holy hell do not give these a try. Way too salty.

They were some dang pretty ribs though. I ended up slightly overcooking them as the rack was definitely breaking under its own weight but it was still some good eating. Just wish it was a lot less salty.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

This weekend was by far my most ambitious smoke so it deserves my most ambitious post.

One brisket, two butts, and a slab of pork belly. Ribs were purchased too but those had to wait for another smoke.

First up: Pork belly smoked for about three hours over top of the butts overnight on Thursday.

Skin removed and diced.

Browned

Half went into beans...

The other half became pork belly burnt ends. (Not pictured: the other half of the belly which is becoming bacon in our fridge)

With the belly removed the butts get a little more space.

Ultimately had to crutch with foil, took a lot longer than I had budgeted for. The other butt looked just as delicious.

Next up, Friday's smoke. Trimmed brisket with salt, pepper, and coffee rub.

drat thing was done waaaaaay earlier than expected (12 hours when I planned it to take at least 16). It got wrapped in foil, towels, and a cooler but still game to go back in the oven to stay above 140°.

Still turned out though...

Had some time to kill so made some cornbread.

Finally ready to go...

Despite the unexpected hiccups and about an hour of torrential downpour we had ourselves a drat good player of food.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That brisket looks great

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Ditto, nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Smoked some hatch green chile meatloaf and some jalapeno/cheddar sausage:

I love smoked meatloaf...