Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I've never been able to find the 'sushi' rice.

Is it called sushi rice?
I think so, yeah.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Every rice cooker I’ve used you use the cup it comes with to measure the rice then add water to that line on the bowl. Doubling seems weird to me.
Aren't cooking instructions more according to the type of rice rather than rice cooker? I cook my rice in a regular pot on the stove, and adjust ratios and times according to the type of rice I'm cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Every rice cooker I’ve used you use the cup it comes with to measure the rice then add water to that line on the bowl. Doubling seems weird to me.

That's what I do. It comes with a cup that you're supposed to use. One rice cooker rice cup measures to 3/4 of a regular cup, and then I fill it to the first line with water. I will say that this rice cooked a lot cleaner than previously after I rinsed and soaked it. My rice cooker and surrounding area wasn't covered in a white sticky mess, like the backside of Peter North's co-actress.

Anne Whateley posted:

Your rice is probably halfway dissolved before you even start cooking it. Does your rice cooker say to soak it and rinse it forever? You can also try 1.5:1.

No it doesn't say to rinse or soak it, but someone in here suggested I do that to wash off all the startch.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That is really, really weird. Did you use minute rice or something?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The starch won't bubble if you add a little fat to the pot. The whole process should be really simple: add rice, add water, add a pat of butter or a squirt of oil.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jewmanji posted:

Is there a better kind that is more readily available than Lee Kum Kee? Their stuff seems good, but it's the only one I've tried. I know Lee Kum Kee is generally kind of "ho-hum" but I don't have the budget to swipe every brand off the shelf.

Actually same goes for soy sauce, anyone have any good recommendations?
I buy this stuff. For soy sauce, I like Kimlan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Human Tornada posted:

I'm no expert but for basic light and dark soy sauce I like Pearl River Bridge. As far as doubanjiang goes, in my experience the stuff in bags is usually better than the stuff in the jar or tub, and you want it to say "Pixian" somewhere on there.
Yeah, the ubiquitous red bag of Pixian doubanjiang is usually what I use when I want `real' doubanjiang. That said, there's a fermented bean Lao Gan Ma variety which isn't quite the same thing but is a pretty good substitute/alternative. I've been making a shitload of fish fragrant eggplant since my garden's been producing a couple pounds of eggplant a week, and I like subbing the bean Angry Lady for dbj.

PRB is a good everyday soy. Their dark is fine and I'm not super sensitive to the flavour of dark soy in a recipe, presumably because you just don't use as much of it. The PRB regular light soy is okay, but the gold label stuff is pretty good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

That's what I do. It comes with a cup that you're supposed to use. One rice cooker rice cup measures to 3/4 of a regular cup, and then I fill it to the first line with water. I will say that this rice cooked a lot cleaner than previously after I rinsed and soaked it. My rice cooker and surrounding area wasn't covered in a white sticky mess, like the backside of Peter North's co-actress.

No it doesn't say to rinse or soak it, but someone in here suggested I do that to wash off all the startch.

Rinse, don't soak if using a rice cooker. And you may have to adjust your water down. It depends on the pot, the lid, the rice, etc. And I recommend using stock (chicken, beef, veg) instead of water so it won't taste like it came from Elmer's. Bullion is fine if you don't have stock. And as others said, a bit of fat. Sometimes I like to add onion, mushroom, Bay leaf, etc. Any flavor you like.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Can you post a picture of the pack of rice you're using? Different types of rice cook in different ways and, as AVeryLargeRadish mentioned, some rice has been specially treated to make it cook faster.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Iirc the folk that mentioned soaking was for long grain on the stovetop

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One meat substitution / dish I found that works awesooommmmeee is using the Morningstar breakfast sausage patties to make white gravy for biscuits and gravy. Add in a little more butter to fry them up in, chop them up and crumble then throw back in for a little crisping then toss in your flour and milk and it's great. Very very close match in flavor and texture to standard white gravy for biscuits.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Gerblyn posted:

Can you post a picture of the pack of rice you're using? Different types of rice cook in different ways and, as AVeryLargeRadish mentioned, some rice has been specially treated to make it cook faster.

It's in a tupperware container :/

e: I think it is Calrose. It's extra fancy

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's in a tupperware container :/

e: I think it is Calrose. It's extra fancy

Ok lets walk this back a minute. How many cups can your rice cooker make? How many cups of rice are you putting in? How long are you letting it sit after it's done?

It would have been nice to read the bag and see how much water it wants you to use.

First thing would be to not soak it, just rinse until water is clear. I'd reduce the amount of water by a half cup so that it's 1 to 1.5. and then I'd open the top of the cooker after the cycle has finished to let the steam out before shutting and letting it sit for a couple minutes.

of course I like Basmati and sona masoori rice, which is lovely and pillowy at all times.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My favorite rice is basmati, for both flavor and texture.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
Does anyone know of a dish that uses both cabbage and mushrooms? I've got about 2 and 1 pounds of them I need to use, respectively. I also have 2 chicken breasts and a carcass that I'm rendering in to stock right now, but I don't need to use them today.

Edit: As long as I'm asking questions here, is there a way to keep food like potatoes from sticking to your knife as you cut them? The best way I've found is to rinse the knife in water after every few cuts, but that really slows me down. I mostly use a stainless steel chef's knife if that makes a difference.

pacmania90 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 16, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

pacmania90 posted:

Does anyone know of a dish that uses both cabbage and mushrooms? I've got about 2 and 1 pounds of them I need to use, respectively. I also have 2 chicken breasts and a carcass that I'm rendering in to stock right now, but I don't need to use them today.

Edit: As long as I'm asking questions here, is there a way to keep food like potatoes from sticking to your knife as you cut them? The best way I've found is to rinse the knife in water after every few cuts, but that really slows me down. I mostly use a stainless steel chef's knife if that makes a difference.

Potatoes are going to stick no matter what. You can change up your technique a little bit by keeping the tip of your knife on the board and dragging your knife through the potato. Just googled 'how to cut potatoes' and this looks pretty decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKRBCKW3Sr8

Also I'm 99.9% that's Kenji Lopez-Alt in the video :D

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

doubling water is definitely way too much. rice:water ratio doesn't scale linearly either so the more rice you make the less water you will need proportionally. the mt fuji technique works decently well, too, in a pinch. http://publish.illinois.edu/japanesefood/rice-cooking-html#fuji

I'm with fgm though, all my rice cookers come with a special scoop, and the cooker container is graduated:

you basically put X scoops in cooker, and fill to the X cups line in the container with water.

I love basmati for middle eastern and indian preps but I definitely get more use out of calrose. It's a great utility rice and works well for sushi, paella, risotto, and goes with east and southeast asian foods which I definitely eat a lot more of.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 16, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those lines are generally there for small or medium grain rice, not long. Rice cookers, at least the Z, has instruction for different grain ratios.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

doubling water is definitely way too much. rice:water ratio doesn't scale linearly either so the more rice you make the less water you will need proportionally. the mt fuji technique works decently well, too, in a pinch. http://publish.illinois.edu/japanesefood/rice-cooking-html#fuji

I'm with fgm though, all my rice cookers come with a special scoop, and the cooker container is graduated:

you basically put X scoops in cooker, and fill to the X cups line in the container with water.

I love basmati for middle eastern and indian preps but I definitely get more use out of calrose. It's a great utility rice and works well for sushi, paella, risotto, and goes with east and southeast asian foods which I definitely eat a lot more of.

Calrose is my go to when I want stickier rice. I keep basmati around for risotto. Does any short grain rice work well for risotto though?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Best way to make a pitcher of margaritas or other Mexican cocktails for a dinner party?

On September 16, I'm hosting a dinner party for Mexican Independence Day. 8-12 people total. I can make good margaritas and pina coladas one/two glasses at a time with a cocktail shaker. But I don't want to make people wait while I make them individually. Could I just pour 3 cups of tequila, 2 cups of Cointreau, and a cup of lime juice in a pitcher and stir? Any issues if it's made a few hours ahead of time?

Also, what's a decent bottled lime juice? I'm not going to juice dozens of limes by hand for this. Actually, I probably end up juicing dozens for the salsas and pozoles I'm making. So I'll be sick of it by the time I start playing bartender.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Calrose is my go to when I want stickier rice. I keep basmati around for risotto. Does any short grain rice work well for risotto though?
I use arborio rice for risotto, that's short grain.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bagheera posted:

Best way to make a pitcher of margaritas or other Mexican cocktails for a dinner party?

paging DnF

edit:

I'm pretty sure you want a short grain for risotto.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

I use arborio rice for risotto, that's short grain.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry, brain fart. Arborio for risotto, basmati with kabobs and whatnot.

edit: I use jasmine rice for fried rice. Is there a better choice?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I have to confess I usually make fried rice as a result of having leftover rice, so basmati, jasmine, brown rice, almost anything goes. I have sinned, look away!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fried rice is fried rice, I don't think it really matters.

re: arborio, it's the best for risotto, bomba/calasparra is best for paella, but I usually only ever have 3 rices on hand (basmati, jasmine, calrose) and calrose works decently well in place of arborio, bomba/calasparra, at least for your average daily meal. I'll go get the right stuff for a fancy meal if need be.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bagheera posted:

On September 16, I'm hosting a dinner party for Mexican Independence Day. 8-12 people total. I can make good margaritas and pina coladas one/two glasses at a time with a cocktail shaker. But I don't want to make people wait while I make them individually. Could I just pour 3 cups of tequila, 2 cups of Cointreau, and a cup of lime juice in a pitcher and stir? Any issues if it's made a few hours ahead of time?

Also, what's a decent bottled lime juice? I'm not going to juice dozens of limes by hand for this. Actually, I probably end up juicing dozens for the salsas and pozoles I'm making. So I'll be sick of it by the time I start playing bartender.

Can't really help you on your margaritas question (I'd imagine just quadrupling a normal recipe would work), but there's no such thing as decent bottled lime juice. Fresh is the only way.

:dealwithit:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jasmine is my go-to rice. Not as expensive as basmati, but still a little fragrant.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bagheera posted:

There is no substitute for fresh lime juice, period. Make a friend help. If you juice them ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the fridge because the flavors will start to go off immediately. You can't do it the day before. For a pitcher that serves 5, mix 250ml good 100% agave tequila, 100ml fresh lime juice, and 150ml agave syrup diluted with water to about 50/50, and a shitload of ice. You may need to adjust to taste based on lime quality. Do not make this ahead of time, do not add Cointreau or any other orange bullshit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've definitely found the firmness of jasmine makes a more pleasant fried rice than calrose. Gonna use calrose for risotto next time though to see.

My mise from risotto this weekend. No shallots, so onion. Lots of parm, because despite 20 years of marriage I can’t convince my wife to stop buying lovely parm. Butter and white wine not pictured

Finished product:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Bagheera posted:

I got one of these and haven't looked back. I only even use it for margaritas in the summer and I still think it's paid for itself.
https://www.amazon.com/Switol-Citru...rds=hand+juicer

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Drink and Fight posted:

There is no substitute for fresh lime juice, period. Make a friend help. If you juice them ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the fridge because the flavors will start to go off immediately.

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/10/01/fresh-lime-juice-wtf/index.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bagheera posted:

Here's the thread for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1798430&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

pacmania90 posted:

Does anyone know of a dish that uses both cabbage and mushrooms? I've got about 2 and 1 pounds of them I need to use, respectively.
You could make schi or borscht with mushroom and cabbage. This cookbook also has a mushroom/cabbage dumpling recipe:

5–8 medium (160 g) mushrooms finely chopped
1 cup (110 g) cabbage finely chopped
3/4 cup (100 g) flour
1/4 tsp turmeric ground
1/2 tsp ajwain seeds or thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3–1/2 cup (80–120 ml) water

Mix all that and deep fry. Then serve it with some kind of dipping sauce (the cookbook has a suggestion but I would feel bad posting that too).

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

If a recipe for ice cream calls for me to make a puree out of 1 peach, and I wanted to use mango instead, how many mangoes should I use/how much puree?

It doesn't give me a size for the peach or an amount of puree to make, so I'm assuming a medium peach.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 16, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Squashy Nipples posted:

It is! It's super delicious, and relatively easy to make if you have access to the right ingredients. Cooks Illustrated did an article on it in the current issue.

CI's recipe was nowhere near spicy enough

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I got one of these and haven't looked back. I only even use it for margaritas in the summer and I still think it's paid for itself.
https://www.amazon.com/Switol-Citru...rds=hand+juicer

Hello, wish list.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that.

Hello, wish list.

I got one of those electric juicers you press the food down on a while back and wasn’t real happy with it, and got a lever one like above. The lever kind is far quicker and the difference in juice is negligible. I tried taking the ones I had pressed with the lever juicer and juicing them in the electric and got almost no juice out of them. The electric went to Goodwill.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a particular brand of those lever juicers that's better than the others, or are they all the same?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

There is no substitute for fresh lime juice, period. Make a friend help. If you juice them ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the fridge because the flavors will start to go off immediately. You can't do it the day before. For a pitcher that serves 5, mix 250ml good 100% agave tequila, 100ml fresh lime juice, and 150ml agave syrup diluted with water to about 50/50, and a shitload of ice. You may need to adjust to taste based on lime quality. Do not make this ahead of time, do not add Cointreau or any other orange bullshit.

"Cointreau or other orange bullshit" is an essential part of a margarita. Lime, agave syrup, and tequila sounds tasty, but that's just lemonade.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

That was by far the funniest thread I ever read on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bagheera posted:

"Cointreau or other orange bullshit" is an essential part of a margarita. Lime, agave syrup, and tequila sounds tasty, but that's just lemonade.

Heeeereeeee wweeeeee gooooooo