Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Goon games typically let you take 1 or 2 turns a day. The 17 day wait is because the Nubia patch screwed Mac users and they need to wait for it to come to their platform.

Whether that excuses it for you or not is a personal thing, but it's disingenuous to say that's the typical PBEM experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Most PBEM games are on platforms that don't break the game (or fragment their userbase) every 2-3 months. Don't judge the only mechanism for cross-platform play by the game's developers' incompetence, please.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never once played any Civ in MP, but I also never felt like it would work for me

PBEM games will take months to finish, I cant imagine keeping engaged to a single game for this long without loosing interest

Live MP games will require to find a group to meet at specific times and play continuously for many hours, which I cant imagining working for me

For me it was always a SP experience. Unfortunately, , every since 4, Civ games seems to be getting worst and worst for SP

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well you might be able to play some MP civ that ends in less than a week of play time. There's a new Civilization Board Game coming out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The last one was bad.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gort posted:

The last one was bad.

and the one before that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i hope one of the expansions to civ 6 reintroduces leaders changing their outfit as they advance through the eras

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

i hope one of the expansions to civ 6 reintroduces leaders changing their outfit as they advance through the eras

It might, because the art department are the only people making positive changes to the game each patch.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Tofu Injection posted:

Goon games typically let you take 1 or 2 turns a day. The 17 day wait is because the Nubia patch screwed Mac users and they need to wait for it to come to their platform.

Whether that excuses it for you or not is a personal thing, but it's disingenuous to say that's the typical PBEM experience.

Yeah, it's not our fault they can't get their poo poo together and put out the Mac patch at the same time. :smith:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tofu Injection posted:

Yeah, the game I started has been pretty dang fast (average turn time of three hours for six players), and heck, outside of the Mac patch screwing someone who only sometimes has PC access even the 12 person, mostly-pubbies game Tofu and I unwisely jumped into goes surprisingly fast whenever it gets past a bottleneck player.

I actually kind of like PBEM for Civ (or Dominions, back when I played that) and similar games. I spend more time on each turn and plan a lot more effectively, but things being spaced out keeps me from doing too much and starting to neglect things or burn out like I do whenever I try to do SP. Also, more time for diplomacy and stuff.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The other two games I'm in had a bottleneck player that was going on three days before he/she got skipped (or maybe played the turn? Not sure). Yours is going much faster.

Speaking of PYDT games, only one more and my Goontopia game that surely will be completely nonviolent can start! Assuming I don't screw the set-up portion up, which is quite possible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

By the way, has anyone noticed bugs in this game? Leaders for me come up with deals saying that they can't accept it, they tell me nuclear warfare is the future in the classical era and one time Gilgamesh declared war on me when I was a friend, and I could never make peace with him.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

By the way, has anyone noticed bugs in this game? Leaders for me come up with deals saying that they can't accept it, they tell me nuclear warfare is the future in the classical era and one time Gilgamesh declared war on me when I was a friend, and I could never make peace with him.

Yeah, they introduced those in the last patch.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Samovar posted:

I have the first two. I keep getting the AI proposing a deal and immediately saying its unacceptable, then when I click on the more equitable button, they accept the deal without any changes. Also Gandhi is pissed I don't have a nuclear arsenal, even though no one in the game is close to developing nuclear fission.

And I discovered a new bug when I wanted to declare war on Elizabeth. She had denounced me, but I wasn't able to act as if she had when trying to declare with a cassus belli. Also, her denouncement should have expired . The counter went to -1 turns left and presumably would have kept going if I hadn't decided gently caress it, I'm playing Alexander and my warmonger penalty is already insane.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The only good civ board game with the civilization name is the original one that Sid used as an inspiration for the computer game.

There are some other good civ board games, but not really any based on the computer games.

Through the Ages is great.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i will say that pydt makes it infinitely easier to play via email, it's a really great service

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Wait do they not have pitboss for civ 6?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uPen posted:

Wait do they not have pitboss for civ 6?

nope

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That's hosed up.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I picked up the complete Civ 5 collection on a whim. I don't really know how to play civ games, is there like a YouTube guy who explains the basics and isn't a total idiot?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

I picked up the complete Civ 5 collection on a whim. I don't really know how to play civ games, is there like a YouTube guy who explains the basics and isn't a total idiot?

Sbfmaddjinn

He has a whole series where he goes into the details. It's a bit long winded, but he's very good at the game.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7EE134995D4190C4

He also has some deity playthroughs that you can watch.

Also, do yourself a favor and get this mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=79000477

This shows all relations between the civilizations. The game has its own screen for this, but it is very hard to read. However, the main advantage to this mod is that you can check it during diplomacy. In the base game, another civ, say Polynesia, may come to you and ask you for a declaration of friendship. The problem is that you must say yes or no without any additional information. You have no idea if Polynesia is sworn enemies with your best friends, The Celts. So if you befriend Polynesia, you just betrayed The Celts without even knowing it.

This mod allows you the check such things while in the diplomacy screen.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 15, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

The only good civ board game with the civilization name is the original one that Sid used as an inspiration for the computer game.

There are some other good civ board games, but not really any based on the computer games.

Through the Ages is great.

I've found Seven Wonders feels like a better "civ" game than actual Civ does

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gort posted:

I've found Seven Wonders feels like a better "civ" game than actual Civ does

7 wonders isn't a civ building game, it's a drafting game.

I...can stop derailing civ6 chat with board game chat though. Suffice to say I'm a board game snob. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Nonono unironically please do a big effortpost on how Through The Ages compares to modern Civ games, I wanna know if it would be a good fit for my group.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The best tabletop version of Civilization is the tragically out of print Clash of Cultures. Great minis, a 2-3 hour playtime, and stays in the Ancient/Classical period where Civ is the most fun.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I think I've found my official #1 pet peeve about Civ VI: Mountain Ranges. I get that continental divides and strategic checkpoints are nice, but holy lord you really don't need to have one string of mountains that's 1-3 tiles wide and runs up and down 90% of a Huge map.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's been 10 years but this week I've been playing civ 4 again, after 1200 hours of Civ 5 and 600 hours of Civ 6.

It's really good.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

It's been 10 years but this week I've been playing civ 4 again, after 1200 hours of Civ 5 and 600 hours of Civ 6.

It's really good.
It's really loving good. But after years of one unit per tile I've forgotten how to get my war on

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Crazy Ted posted:

It's really loving good. But after years of one unit per tile I've forgotten how to get my war on

I seem to remember a stack of 10-12 macemen or swordsmen marching linearly from city to city worked pretty well.

Though what I loved most when it came to taking cities were culture flips.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that brute force works to an extent, yeah, but you definitely need some siege in that stack. trade half those macemen for trebuchets (or catapults, if you must), keep building both units, and don't worry if you lose some siege units because their collateral damage will cap out around 6 engagements unless you're fighting an exceptionally large stack. it's more important that you lose those and preserve your real attackers/defenders. if you do it right and get just a little bit lucky, you'll start to have a net gain on your mace/sword count, and you'll need that for taking down those tanked up capitals.

oh and have like one or two cities dedicated to producing defenders and just advance them in as you conquer cities. use the turns you spend healing to move them into fortified positions :)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
That's right, I forgot about the siege engines. Stacks were so magical.

On another note, my first time playing Alexander and I have rolled through most of the civs with only a battering ram as my siege engine. I didn't even use that many archers/crossbowmen. Glidergun's advice was sound: unique units and never stop conquering! I don't think I've ever had so many Eureka moments in an Civ VI game... my paucity of campus districts hasn't been a major issue.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gort posted:

Nonono unironically please do a big effortpost on how Through The Ages compares to modern Civ games, I wanna know if it would be a good fit for my group.

Hm alright. You can also go to the board game thread in tg.

Through the Ages has no map, which is the main detriment to it feeling like a civ game. You acquire cards that are one of: one time resource bonuses, leaders that transform one aspect of your civ, technologies that boost your production, technologies that let you train better military units, and wonders that take a while to build and provide a really nice bonus.

The mechanics are mostly trying to efficiently snowball into having great production and then change to producing culture, but there's other ways to get points. Also, gotta keep up on military or the other players will wreck your poo poo.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

But after years of one unit per tile I've forgotten how to get my war on

whip cats and knights everywhere

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Culture flips are the best part of civ 4 hands down.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Culture flips are the best part of civ 4 hands down.

They need that back. Didn't 4 also keep track of ethnicity in your cites? Like you could see how many citizens were from each nearby civ/culture?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Human Crouton posted:

They need that back. Didn't 4 also keep track of ethnicity in your cites? Like you could see how many citizens were from each nearby civ/culture?

Absolutely and that was cool too.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Y'all got my nostalgia boner on. Time to dive in and see if anyone ever made a competent AI mod for FfH2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cuv 4's AI kicked my rear end a lot

I remember every war being, "poo poo, get every city building units NOW" and then 1UPT came along and it was more a question of whether you'd lose a unit this war or not

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

not just your cities, it tracked that for every tile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Cuv 4's AI kicked my rear end a lot

I remember every war being, "poo poo, get every city building units NOW" and then 1UPT came along and it was more a question of whether you'd lose a unit this war or not

It worked well enough for the base game, but it was not at all designed for anything like Fall from Heaven. It's a shame that Firaxis still hasn't made a Civ as good as IV and that future prospects aren't any brighter.