Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Prob because sniper rifles are poo poo if you can't get headshots and you need optics to reliably get headshots. Whereas with ARs you can hit guys with a red dot/2x out to 2-300 meters trivially. A red dot is a 4x anyways if you just lean in really close to your monitor.

poo poo I've got a 930 meter kill with a 2x on an AR :smug:

Also the whole 'it takes .5 seconds to swap optics'

I guess my question is better rephrased as

"why do idiots keep using KAR over their AR at 3-400 yards?"

A: Because their 4x is already on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pattonesque posted:

once you get an extended mag it really is something else

It's a beautiful SMG butterfly that starts life as an ugly pistol caterpillar.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
just had a great rain map fpp solo game.. was up to 8 or 9 kills and last 2, guy nails me with a sniper body shot from behind and i snap around to shoot him but he loving jumps out and blasts me with a 50m shotgun shot for the kill.

i cant even get mad at that

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think the difference between the smg's and shotguns is the same as the kar98/sks. If you can hit the first shot then you are probably better off using the high damage weapon. If you think you'll need to fire several times you probably want a faster fire rate. One of the things I like most about this game, is that all the guns are useful. The best gun is the one you are the most consistent with.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Buddy of mine is putting together some clips from our games. I'm in them as 'sterster' if you were curious.
Hunks ep 1 with a my sweet fpp back flip on the bike. Then getting shot at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmyDSTuQzT4

Hunks ep 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iiz7-Qix5o

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nevvy Z posted:

lol I mean "if you can't hit headshots why are you picking up the kar?" Is the question you should be asking

No one is having problems switching their 4x

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

sterster posted:

Buddy of mine is putting together some clips from our games. I'm in them as 'sterster' if you were curious.
Hunks ep 1 with a my sweet fpp back flip on the bike. Then getting shot at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmyDSTuQzT4

Hunks ep 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iiz7-Qix5o

lmao @ all the shots that bounce off the pan @ 3:15

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

lol I mean "if you can't hit headshots why are you picking up the kar?" Is the question you should be asking

No one is having problems switching their 4x

How dare you deny my lived experience

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
i mean to be fair a lot of goons can't hit people at 300-400 yards with their ARs either

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
This may be an epiphany for you but next time you have a kar and 4x... try aiming for heads!

If you have a kar and consistently aim for the body :getout:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Do they not zero their weapons? The iron sights are usuable out to 400m if you zero properly. I find a lot of people don't mess with zeroing at all but it really makes a huge difference. I mean there is travel time but that just takes practice.

Also one thing no one as mentioned about SMGs is that they fare much better with the lovely netcode.

The shotgun can be unreliable when the servers are running like crap. Also for 3pp servers, the shotgun is far superior because you can camp a corner and pop out blasting already aiming at the persons chest/head area.I am sure everyone here is familiar with doing that though :P

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wait does the pan block bullets when it's on your back?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This may be an epiphany for you but next time you have a kar and 4x... try aiming for heads!

If you have a kar and consistently aim for the body :getout:

just aim for the head all the time. you imbecile, you loving moron

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Popete posted:

Yes. It was patched in. The pan is the best melee item because of that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

just aim for the head all the time. you imbecile, you loving moron

Baby steps

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Further more, it's hit box seems to be wonky and will sometimes block bullets from any direction including your front I've seen it happen in videos. You can also run with it out and it will block shots in front of you. Additionally you can use it as a bat for grenades.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The pan is all powerful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exDWFKf7zn4

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Stealthgerbil posted:

Do they not zero their weapons? The iron sights are usuable out to 400m if you zero properly. I find a lot of people don't mess with zeroing at all but it really makes a huge difference. I mean there is travel time but that just takes practice.

Frankly I'd rather just aim up and compensate for missed shots than take the time to guess as to what the range is when there's no rangefinder, no working rangefinding marks on the scopes because of hosed scales, and the odds that someone will sit still in an easily identifiable location long enough to do the mapsquare math is zero.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Stealthgerbil posted:

It seems bullet drop is minimal and increasing it makes me over shoot a bit more than I want. Keeping it the same and eyeing the distance with experiance is more accurate for me as long as I shoot a couple seconds into the future.

Also can you quick swap scopes? Or just what I been doing , tabbing and quick drag which takes a bit more than .5 seconds for me.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
right click in inventory menu

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm glad they added burst fire to the smgs, I love picking up a gun and switching fire modes only to spit out three bullets and get destroyed by the other person

I am well aware I am dumb and this change has been around for like a month or two, but why the gently caress does a vector need a burst, gently caress you game, let me loving win and kill all the people

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Because my k98 kills them in one bullet.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Linstar posted:

Because my k98 kills them in one bullet.

Not if your stream is any indication...

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Crell posted:

:iceburn:

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Crell posted:

WHOOOOOAH someone stat check this man.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crell posted:

Shots fired!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Lladre posted:

Shots fired!

Body shots.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aniviron posted:

Body shots.
He said fired, not hit.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Crell posted:

Stuntman posted:

He said fired, not hit.

:mmmhmm:

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 16, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I was really reluctant to buy this game, but I'm pretty hooked now that I finally pulled the trigger. Are there any good streamers that talk about their strats and explain the game in an educational way?

My main problems at the moment are making shots at longer ranges, and dealing with those final few circles in outdoor areas. If the last circle is in an urban/urban-ish area, I'm pretty confident in my ability to make it into the top 5- but I just can't do that in the woods.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i just dropped school, looted an uzi and my game hardlocked. rebooted just in time to have the sole survivor run into the room i was in, right into my crosshairs. literally had him dead a second onto loading the game. he must have been real mad

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was really reluctant to buy this game, but I'm pretty hooked now that I finally pulled the trigger. Are there any good streamers that talk about their strats and explain the game in an educational way?

My main problems at the moment are making shots at longer ranges, and dealing with those final few circles in outdoor areas. If the last circle is in an urban/urban-ish area, I'm pretty confident in my ability to make it into the top 5- but I just can't do that in the woods.

This was said a couple pages back: if you want a stream then just watch chocotaco's. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/167031692 it is decent for learning how to play, as he discusses strategy while he's playing and can illustrate what someone really good with the weapons looks like.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

this loving ruins me every time "I'm sorry, but did the car get reflected by his pan?"

I had a funny game last night where my squad dropped on school and all died. I ended up the last man standing, but only had ammo left for my double barrel shotgun. Ran towards that area sw of school and a motorcycle with two people on it speeds towards me, I shoot at it and miss, so I think I'm hosed.

The passenger starts unloading at me and knocks out his driver onto the street in front of me then the bike flips and dude is knocked off, but not dead or k/o. So I capped the driver, still thinking I'm hosed because this dude has a rifle and he's pretty far away from me. He unloads his entire AK and then UMP in my direction while running towards me, misses every single shot and then I shoot him with my last shotgun bullet.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Turns out that if you parachute in over a tall building, your guy might switch to "landing" even as he glides past the edge of the building. I fell 3 stories because I missed the top of a building and started the round at about 25% health. Whoops!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this loving ruins me every time "I'm sorry, but did the car get reflected by his pan?"

I had a funny game last night where my squad dropped on school and all died. I ended up the last man standing, but only had ammo left for my double barrel shotgun. Ran towards that area sw of school and a motorcycle with two people on it speeds towards me, I shoot at it and miss, so I think I'm hosed.

The passenger starts unloading at me and knocks out his driver onto the street in front of me then the bike flips and dude is knocked off, but not dead or k/o. So I capped the driver, still thinking I'm hosed because this dude has a rifle and he's pretty far away from me. He unloads his entire AK and then UMP in my direction while running towards me, misses every single shot and then I shoot him with my last shotgun bullet.

That video is dumb as poo poo, you can see the guy shoot right before the car hits the "pan". It's Sparks from the bullet.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Can someone explain 4x to me? I have trouble aiming with it still.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Captain Gordon posted:

Can someone explain 4x to me? I have trouble aiming with it still.

You're supposed to be able to use the width of the 400, 500, and 600 marks to determine range to target based on shoulder/torso width but since scale's off it doesn't work right.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 17, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Shima Honnou posted:

You're supposed to be able to use the width of the 400, 500, and 600 marks to determine range to target based on shoulder/torso width but since scale's off it doesn't work right.
And can someone explain this image to me?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
those are the points you are supposed to line up with your target based on distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
A meter is a unit of distance in the metric system signifying a distance of 3.28084 feet. The points indicating 100m to 800m are where the bullet should be once it travels that distance.

Top of arrow is 100, the little V shape at the bottom is 200, and the start of the range post is 300.

• Locked thread