Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Ugh, why is it every work number I've ever had has been previously owned by someone in collections. Is this normal or am I just cursed?

Yes, most phone numbers don't go back into circulation because people tend to keep their numbers, so it actually makes perfect sense unless you're in a booming area that has to open a new area code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I have a phone screen tomorrow for what is pretty much a lateral move to another company. Ordinarily I'd pass, but given the kind of death spiral my current employer is in... I'm excited about it, in a fairly pathetic way. poo poo, I'd take a pay cut.

Have we posted the White Collar Holler recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDkmVo2fg4

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SpartanIV posted:

Ugh, why is it every work number I've ever had has been previously owned by someone in collections. Is this normal or am I just cursed?

There's a decent thread in in this very subforum about dealing with debt collectors. Send them a cease & decist letter, and then start collecting $1000 every time they call you and breach the FDCPA.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
I though Outlook 2016 was bad... but now that it stopped working, I am going through the hell of the web version of outlook. I am in the Netherlands. IT is US based. I just know I am hosed until late afternoon when they finally decide to look at my ticket. If only most of my job didn't consist of emailing people for updates...

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Are you making GBS threads me? Just do the needful and revert to your stakeholders

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evobatman posted:

There's a decent thread in in this very subforum about dealing with debt collectors. Send them a cease & decist letter, and then start collecting $1000 every time they call you and breach the FDCPA.

For now, until a Trump appointee eliminates the "burdensome red tape harming growth" that allows you to do so.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I used to work collections so I know how to handle them, and I don't think I've had the same one call me twice. If you're nice and explain that the person they're looking for doesnt have that number anymore they'll take it out of their system.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Or, if they call you repeatedly, you can just gently caress with them while you're on the can.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
At my old office everyone's phone numbers started with 867- unfortunately no one had the extension 5309.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The other day I had someone call my work phone looking for his parole officer

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

evobatman posted:

SCOTUS just nerfed this recently. FDCPA only applies to the original debt issuer now, not someone who buys the debt and tries to collect it.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/06/opinion-analysis-gorsuchs-first-opinion-confirms-exemption-debt-buyers-fair-debt-collection-practices-act/

That's right: Companies that exist only to collect debt are exempt from... debt collection laws. :suicide:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Good thing we have a functional Congress to fix that glitch.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My last day is the 25th. My boss said that she wants me to stay until the 29th so that this final report can be reviewed, but I told her that my parents are coming on the 29th to help me move. She has implied that not finishing this report would basically mean a burnt bridge, which is loving bullshit. What is the best way to resolve this without leaving me unable to use my manager for the past 5 years as a reference?

I am absolutely livid about this.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Are you on good terms with your coworkers? I've never used a manager reference for anything, ever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Did you give two weeks notice?

If so, gently caress her utterly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sundae posted:

Are you on good terms with your coworkers? I've never used a manager reference for anything, ever.

All my coworkers spontaneously gained a massive title bump after I left.

...or at least, that is what my resume says in the 'references' section

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sundae posted:

Yeah, there are other managers that I have used. I'm still trembling from how angry I am at the loving GALL of that request.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, there are other managers that I have used. I'm still trembling from how angry I am at the loving GALL of that request.

Yeah, I'm starting to get why we have such completely different outlooks about this place. Your manager sucks, hard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sundae posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get why we have such completely different outlooks about this place. Your manager sucks, hard.

I don't even get to be near the good cafeterias!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's amazing how much difference a lovely manager can make. Current boss has scheduled meetings once a week to review my work, set tasks and expectations and generally mentor me. God loving drat what a difference it makes. He's also nice enough to stay the gently caress out of my way once I get going, and take me to my word (Long enough for me to prepare a spreadsheet to back myself up anyway). I hope it'll last.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't even get to be near the good cafeterias!

Aha ! You work in B56 or somewhere even more isolated.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

My last day is the 25th. My boss said that she wants me to stay until the 29th so that this final report can be reviewed, but I told her that my parents are coming on the 29th to help me move. She has implied that not finishing this report would basically mean a burnt bridge, which is loving bullshit. What is the best way to resolve this without leaving me unable to use my manager for the past 5 years as a reference?

How well do you know your bosses boss? They might less interested in extortion.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

It's amazing how much difference a lovely manager can make. Current boss has scheduled meetings once a week to review my work, set tasks and expectations and generally mentor me. God loving drat what a difference it makes. He's also nice enough to stay the gently caress out of my way once I get going, and take me to my word (Long enough for me to prepare a spreadsheet to back myself up anyway). I hope it'll last.

No loving kidding. My current manager is the first one I've ever had that's interested in my growth as well as what I can currently deliver, it was pretty surreal at first.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol my girlfriend's new job missed loving payroll

The owner (a micromanaging overly controlling OCD ridden nutjob) is currently out of state spending time with her dying brother. My GF offered to process payroll for her since she was out, but the owner insisted that she had it covered. On friday night, the owner's brother died, and she just simply didn't process payroll or ask anyone else for help.

I hope she never leaves this job because hearing about her work is nothing but a comedy of errors and I take a sick pleasure in it.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

GrandpaPants posted:

"My last day will need to be the 25th. Given that, how should we proceed?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Renegret posted:

The owner (a micromanaging overly controlling OCD ridden nutjob) is currently out of state spending time with her dying brother. My GF offered to process payroll for her since she was out, but the owner insisted that she had it covered. On friday night, the owner's brother died, and she just simply didn't process payroll or ask anyone else for help.
To be fair, in my experience, when people are struck by a tragedy they tend to become a caricature of their core personality traits, often negative ones.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, in my experience, when people are struck by a tragedy they tend to become a caricature of their core personality traits, often negative ones.

I agree to a point. However as a business owner you have certain responsibilities that you quite simply can not gently caress up. My girlfriend's father was a small business owner, and she has memories of family vacations getting put on hold as the family hung out in hotel lobbies while her parents leeched the free wifi to process payroll.

It would've taken 5 seconds to send a text to my GF asking her to do it (she even offered), and the entire situation could've been prevented. They have 15 staff, it wouldn't have taken long. Owner's brother died Friday, Payroll was on Tuesday, so that gives the entire weekend and Monday to figure it out.

If you can't handle the responsibility and are too neurotic to delegate, then maybe you shouldn't be a business owner. I say that full well knowing that I'm not cut out to be one myself, which is why I'm fine with the idea of being a wage slave my entire life

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 16, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Renegret posted:

Unless your gf is the HR or Finance manager (or the closest, within the context of such a small business), I wouldn't be keen on trusting her either.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My old buddy's company was so "loving incompetent" that they "missed payroll" like five times over the course of a few months and just never made it up. But then they found him by the creek with the needle still in his arm, rotting for almost a week. The payroll was fine. But it does happen occasionally, usually a few months before a company collapses.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If my company missed payroll even once I would immediately start looking for a new job.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'd probably forgive one miss, especially for something like a death in the immediate family, but I'd sure still be cleaning up my resume.

If it happens twice or once without any clear reason like that, get out that door right away.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'd forgive it if it was a one time deal that was was fixed in a timely fashion.

Hopefully it's a painful lesson that the owners can learn from because there's a clear and easy solution to make sure it never happens again. They've only been in business for a few months so there's a lot of growing pains. There are two owners of this place, a husband and wife duo. The wife is a giant control freak and was running the business into the ground, so we're at the point where her husband has stepped in and is forcing her to relinquish control to people who actually know what they're doing. I expect payroll will be the next thing that will be delegated out.

e: for the record, we're already planning on this place folding and the job hunt hasn't stopped.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

If my company missed payroll even once I would immediately start looking for a new job.

Yeah. I worked for a place once.

First the cheque was a day late.

The next one was 'Monday'.

The one after that, it became an open question which Monday.

Then they laid everyone off and I had to find a new job, which meant I ended up having to move to New Jersey. Don't be me. Don't end up having to move to New Jersey.

Edit: plus they were siphoning off everyone's 401(k) contributions too, apparently, so watch out for that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Isn't that like super duper illegal?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SpartanIV posted:

Isn't that like super duper illegal?

The kind of failing business that miss payroll (which is criminal in the first place) are likely to be doing other desperate, illegal things to try and keep the doors open.

I've been the victim of a place that withheld taxes but never sent them to the IRS.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nail Rat posted:

That's when I move all the office laptops, etc into the rear of my car for 'off-site maintenance'

I bring them back in when the money is in my account.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

WindowLiquor posted:

I though Outlook 2016 was bad... but now that it stopped working, I am going through the hell of the web version of outlook. I am in the Netherlands. IT is US based. I just know I am hosed until late afternoon when they finally decide to look at my ticket. If only most of my job didn't consist of emailing people for updates...

Outlook is a piece of poo poo. My computer already sucks, but this thing sucks up about 75% of available memory.

Shugojin posted:

The other day I had someone call my work phone looking for his parole officer

a few months ago, my coworker got a call from her predecessor's babysitter, who was panicking and threatening to leave this woman's devil children on the spot if she didn't get there asap.

Said coworker left the company about 6 prior!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Outlook is a piece of poo poo. My computer already sucks, but this thing sucks up about 75% of available memory.

a few months ago, my coworker got a call from her predecessor's babysitter, who was panicking and threatening to leave this woman's devil children on the spot if she didn't get there asap.

Said coworker left the company about 6 prior!

Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? 6 what?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Farthings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Guessing months